Sushi Question

kammerer3209

Does any one know or asked for soy paper instead of the seaweed? I will eat the seaweed, but something I want soy paper as it is lighter and leaves you feeling refreshed.

My husband wanted to know this as well. He loves spicy tuna rolls but he will only eat it with the soy paper.

the sushi on the ship is not great if you are a sushi lover

remember the fish is not fresh after the first day so they use a lot of imitation crab meat

They make some basic rolls as an appetizer on the way to the dining room

Well, in their defense, most fish you find in even good restaurants are more than 24 hours old. Just the catching, bring to port, shipping process can put them 3-4 or more days old before even getting to the restaurant.

That being said, the onboard Sushi is nothing to write home about. It's ok, I always eat it and enjoy it. But it's not something you would find in a nice sushi restaurant at home. More like sushi from a good mall sushi joint. Lots of shrimp nigiri, spicey tuna, cali rolls, basic stuff like that. Not going to find any Toro, that's for sure.

The best sushi I have had is at the (for fee of course) sushi bars on NCL. $10 PP if I remember, but made to order and unlimited, fantastic!

Well, in their defense, most fish you find in even good restaurants are more than 24 hours old. Just the catching, bring to port, shipping process can put them 3-4 or more days old before even getting to the restaurant.

That being said, the onboard Sushi is nothing to write home about. It's ok, I always eat it and enjoy it. But it's not something you would find in a nice sushi restaurant at home. More like sushi from a good mall sushi joint. Lots of shrimp nigiri, spicey tuna, cali rolls, basic stuff like that. Not going to find any Toro, that's for sure.

The best sushi I have had is at the (for fee of course) sushi bars on NCL. $10 PP if I remember, but made to order and unlimited, fantastic!

I lived in Hawaii for 10 years and could get fresh fish chunked Hawaiian style where I learned to love raw fish .. but not in the states. I dont buy it here, since I dont know how fresh it really is. Im picky.

I lived in Hawaii for 10 years and could get fresh fish chunked Hawaiian style where I learned to love raw fish .. but not in the states. I dont buy it here, since I dont know how fresh it really is. Im picky.

Hawaii, yes. In Maine we like to think we do ok with fresh seafood as well. Same could be said for the gulf coast. But what most folks get in most parts of the country is pretty far from fresh. My family owns a seafood company and overnights seafood all over the place to very high end restaurants who pay a premium and premium shipping for it, but unless you are eating at a $100 a plate NY/LA restaurant everynight than you probably won't be getting it that fresh.

But you know what? 6 day old fish won't kill you, and 95% of people won't know the difference!:)

on the topic of sushi.. does anyone know if they have a vegetarian option with sushi? just like avocado and cucumber? thanks!

Yes, they always have a 'vegi roll', you know like a large nori roll with rice, carrot, asparagas, etc (no avacado). They give you a premade plate with usually 4 options on each plate, as many plates as you like. You serve yourself your own sauces/ginger/wassabi/etc. Chopsticks available.

Does anyone know how much it costs? On the Glory a while back it was free, but now they have the sushi bars on a lot of the ships. It's my son's new favorite "snack". :D

It's always free. They use the term 'sushi bar' pretty liberally. It's more of a 'sushi distribution station':)

The sushi might not have been top of the line,but the hot sake was tasty. The guys on the Miracle knew my name after a few days.

DH discovered he liked the saki pretty well cold too - after someone suggested it. He bought a bottle and took it with us to dinner.

Hey Firefly - Last time I checked, Hawaii was a state.:D:D

Archived