Can't go back to CCL

islahopper

Go, enjoy, and one day we will see you back...

Personally, there is nothing on the Oasis or Allure, or any RCI ship that would lead me to book them. I can't justify paying more for a skating rink or rock climbing wall I will never use or never want to use....

You'll be back, when price is important, then you'll see the light when you can have more money for those tasty frozen drinks each night....

Me, I'll stick with Carnival and Princess when I can afford to go on a 14 day Panama Canal transit....whenever that it...or Tahiti and her islands...

As I get older and living on a budget,I will be crusing where I get the best bargin. Right now I have no debt, own the house, the cars, no kids, inherited money. We are also very furgal, we don"t eat out, we hijack wifi, and have the most basic cell phones. My car is so old it has a cassette deck and I still own a turntable. I also didn't say, but RCCL upgraded us to a loft suite, a 2 deck cabin with alot of perks including beer and wine with lunch and 3 hours open bar in the evening. This had alot to do with the enjoyment of the cruise.

we hijack wifi

You had me up to the part where you admit to theft. :mad: This is one of the reasons I password protect my wifi signal.

If you don't enjoy the extra amenities, especially included ones like real musicals (Chicago), then the Allure and Oasis wouldn't interest you. But if you want musicals, ice shows, aqua shows, and all of the extra entertainment and amenities, then these ships are destinations that CCL just cannot or will not offer. I also agree with the sentiment that you are not going to go on these two big sisters every cruise. There's a time and a place for them though and they are very popular and it doesn't surprise me that RCI keeps them sailing pretty full.

Exactly. Not every Ford is a Mustang. .

Not every Mercedes is an SLK... ;-)

I ALMOST said that (never) after the customer service cluster**ck I went through two years ago. Now my wife has me looking at sailings out of Port Canaveral. I only agreed because we have a special invite for Harry Potter at IOA.

Will we like the Dream? Time will tell...

YOU can thank our veterans and soldiers for keeping our country free so that YOU have a CHOICE to cruise with any line you CHOOSE.

YOUR freedom did not come cheap nor will it continue to exist without the dedicated men and women of our military.

What would you do if someone else dictated when, where and how you would spend your time off??

Something to think about.

I find it really strange that there is such fierce "brand loyalty" within the cruise community.

People really take this stuff personally, and it is amazing to me.

I mean, if someone said they decided they only like Burger King vs Mcdonalds...id shrug and say, OK...but if someone says they prefer RCL over CCL, people want to burn them at the stake.

I agree and we just had that experience on Princess. We did Panama last Spring on the Coral Princess and after that thought it's Princess from now on. Then in the Fall we went on the Emerald Princess and the food and other things were just OK not anything special.

Now we are going Carnival again just to compare.

CruzVinnieCruz, The Steeler logo caught my eye and then I saw you were from Aliquippa. Grew up there myself. Went to Hopewell. Now live in KY and love it here, but am still a Steeler fan. Go Steelers!

By the way, I see you are going on the Glory soon. Hope that you do a review, as we are set for that trip in November.

Sorry I sort of hijacked the thread.

I've been on RCCL, Princess, Celebrity and CCL. I keep coming back to Carnival. When I was on Oasis The food I got was not as good as CCL, service wasn't better and I missed the friendly atmosphere. Have fun on RCCL and we'll wave as our ships pass on the seas.

I like em all!

I have been on more RCI cruises than any line, and have always had a great cruise. But I never slept so well as on the Conquest. That bed was like a dream!

My next two cruises are on the Splendor, and we can't wait. Carnival has great prices for families, and they haven't abandoned us here on the west coast.

My daughter will be getting married on Splendor next April in Long Beach.

My grand children and our kids are all cruising in three months to Mexico and the Conquest staff were so great with the little ones last May that my two-year old grandson still talks about "Bobby" our waiter, and Fun Freddy in his words.

So for us the price and the memories with all our family and affordable balcony staterooms, makes Carnival an easy choice. If it is just the adults, Princess is wonderful, but not comfy beds, and tiny rooms at a premium price!

Princess food is the best I have ever had on a cruise though.

Thats why I love em all! They each excel at different things.:D

I have greatly enjoyed all of my cruises on CCL, but after our cruise on the Oasis we can't go back. The food was better, the shows were better, the cabins were better and the service much better also the decor. I am not bashing CCL, I just think the extra cost of RCCL is well worth it.

Sounds like you found a better fit for you. Nice. :)

I have greatly enjoyed all of my cruises on CCL, but after our cruise on the Oasis we can't go back. The food was better, the shows were better, the cabins were better and the service much better also the decor. I am not bashing CCL, I just think the extra cost of RCCL is well worth it.

I found myself saying that too when I was introduced to RCCL ships. I never thought I would cruise on a Carnival ship and then after cruising on Holland America, I vowed to NEVER return, in fact, I was so decided not to return, that I booked an NCL for April '11 and a Princess for November '11. HOWEVER, all that changed when I saw the itinerary for Europe. I cancelled both trips and booked the Carnival Magic. While I know the service will be nowhere near the service level of HAL, I am going with an open mind.

I will agree, RCCL ships are much nicer in decor and the crowd is a bit different, however, I book for itinerary and not SOLEY on the ship. Another good thing about RCCL, they don’t have this thing to want to sail full, so, at the last minute they aren’t giving away rooms like CCL does which in my opinion, accounts for the sometimes rowdy crowds you see on the shorter 4-5 day sailings.

after test driving a Mustang Shelby I will never buy another Jeep:

Shelby: $70,000

Jeep: $26,000

If your RCCL cruise price would be the same as you would have paid on Carnival than good on you..if you paid more for a premium product than your comparison is not fair...My Jeep can swim, take its doors off, but takes 2.5 minutes 0 to 60...

Love your analogy! I can relate. I have a neighbor who drives a BMW 700 series car. He likes to make fun of my Tundra. Gets poor gas mileage, bumpy ride, yada, yada. I always reply, "How's your beemer at hauling a ton of dirt? Or getting stuck in the snow? Must be great trying to drive it up the canyon in a snowstorm." Shuts him up everytime.

Love your analogy! I can relate. I have a neighbor who drives a BMW 700 series car. He likes to make fun of my Tundra. Gets poor gas mileage, bumpy ride, yada, yada. I always reply, "How's your beemer at hauling a ton of dirt? Or getting stuck in the snow? Must be great trying to drive it up the canyon in a snowstorm." Shuts him up everytime.

lol love it! I bet ya a dollar I get more stares in my Jeep with top down, doors off than any dude in a 100,000 sports car does! I never did test drive the Shelby by the way, but would love to own one some day.

Cheers

I find it really strange that there is such fierce "brand loyalty" within the cruise community.

I mean, if someone said they decided they only like Burger King vs Mcdonalds...id shrug and say, OK...but if someone says they prefer RCL over CCL, people want to burn them at the stake.

Actually - I think you'll find a lot of folks who like different lines besides just Carnival.

But, if you were on a Burger King board and there was also a McDonalds board and a person posted on a Burger King board that although they've never had a problem with Burger King - they won't be eating there anymore, just at McDonalds.

What would the point of that be? To let others know who like Burger King that they don't like Burger King...or what?

I think the 'non-productivity' of the post with no real rhyme or reason is why others get stirred up and feel the need to 'defend' Carnival.

Cool, enjoy. You might like Allure too. Too pricey and too big for me. ;)

Oasis and Dream

I don't think "feathers get ruffled" over "brand loyalty"...as much as it does the implication that the OP feels he is superior because he is willing to "pay more".

Usually these conversations only get "heated" when someone like the OP implies an air of arrogance that he (and RCCL) are "superior"...and if folks don't cruise RCCL..then they are inferior.

And the more I think about it.... Some people could take the OP's message as a slap in the face. They are saying that everything is so much better on RCI and they believe the extra cost is certainly worth it...that's great - but what if a person likes cruising and doesn't have the money for RCI. This person is assuming that everyone does. I'm not sure why they aren't on an Oceania cruise or Silverseas instead since I'm sure with more $$$ can come bigger and better things - hence putting RCI to shame.

To me the comment was going to serve no purpose on this board....so why post it? What need was there to say it? Now, if the poster wanted to post a message on the RCI board and say what a great time they've had, etc., etc....than kudos. But, to post it on a board where you have a lot of Carnival fans... Come on.....

I don't think "feathers get ruffled" over "brand loyalty"...as much as it does the implication that the OP feels he is superior because he is willing to "pay more".

Usually these conversations only get "heated" when someone like the OP implies an air of arrogance that he (and RCCL) are "superior"...and if folks don't cruise RCCL..then they are inferior.

I totally agree. However, in email, blogs, etc; tones can often be misread.

I'm not sure what you read, but when I read the Op, I read he was so impressed with the Oasis Class he did not want to return to CCL. I did not see any reference that he was superior to anyone else, nor did I see anything hinting the people on RCI ships are superior to the people on CCL. If I missed it, please show me where he said that. I believe you are puting words and emotions in his mouth.

Sheesh, I just can't understand why people get so offended over this stuff. Get over it. :rolleyes:

I think the 'non-productivity' of the post with no real rhyme or reason is why others get stirred up and feel the need to 'defend' Carnival.

The purpose of the CCL board is to ask questions and get answers. Not get beat up because someone did not like the CCL experience. I still do not understand defending someones personal feelings as it makes no difference.

It's the rudeness that is unforgiveable.

The purpose of the CCL board is to ask questions and get answers. Not get beat up because someone did not like the CCL experience. I still do not understand defending someones personal feelings as it makes no difference.

It's the rudeness that is unforgiveable.

Oh, I completely understand that and that IS the purpose of this board. But - I don't see the purpose of saying that they just assume pay more money to go on RCI because it is much better than Carnival.... What kind of information and feedback would the poster like?

Archived