Adventure Ocean

Pete32

Will we have any problem moving our 8 year 11 month old son up to the 9-11 year old Voyager Kids program? I want to keep our sons together - and the oldest is 11. Is this something we can take care of on the first day during the open house time at Adventure Ocean??:confused:

No, you'll have no problems. You just have to talk to the counselors there. I had the same situation with my youngest. He was a month away from the next level and the counselors were fine with moving him up as along as he was comfortable in that age group. If the age group proved to be a little too advanced for him, I always had the option to move him back down.

Will we have any problem moving our 8 year 11 month old son up to the 9-11 year old Voyager Kids program? I want to keep our sons together - and the oldest is 11. Is this something we can take care of on the first day during the open house time at Adventure Ocean??:confused:

It's at the discretion of the AO staff. You probably can't initially sign him up into the older group, but if you talk with the staff, they may agree to letting him move up. In my experience, they usually will require them to attend the younger age group for one or two sessions, and if they feel he will be OK in the older group, then they'll move him up. So, he may have to spend the first day with the 6 - 8 year olds. (And you should be prepared for the fact that they might not be willing to move him up at all.)

I would have major issues with the Adventure Ocean program - if they wouldn't honor our simple request when my son would be 9 years old in only 20 days. I would be paying guest services a quick visit to discuss customer service with them...

I would have major issues with the Adventure Ocean program - if they wouldn't honor our simple request when my son would be 9 years old in only 20 days. I would be paying guest services a quick visit to discuss customer service with them...

As I said, most likely they will, but at the discretion of the staff, and most likely not without starting him out in the age group into which his age falls. I would suggest trying to approach it without the sense of entitlement that you seem to be showing in the above post. :cool:

It's at the discretion of the AO staff. You probably can't initially sign him up into the older group, but if you talk with the staff, they may agree to letting him move up. In my experience, they usually will require them to attend the younger age group for one or two sessions, and if they feel he will be OK in the older group, then they'll move him up. So, he may have to spend the first day with the 6 - 8 year olds. (And you should be prepared for the fact that they might not be willing to move him up at all.)

We had this same situation last summer on IOS. Our daughter was one month shy of turning 6 to move up to the next group. We asked about her moving up and the staff suggested she try the 3-5 group and then decide. They also pointed out that the 6-8 group was much busier. After one session in the 3-5 group, DD decided she wanted to just stay. We asked her a couple of times during the cruise if she wanted to change and she said she was happy where she was. She was actually so happy that we had to beg her not to go some days and evenings so we could actually enjoy her company too!! As a family, we are huge fans of Adventure Ocean (our DS loved it too (age 9).

I would trust the judgement of the staff to help your child get the most they can out of Adventure Ocean. With discussion between parents and the staff, you'll come up with the best way forward.

Enjoy your cruise.

really - is that what that was? Sense of entitlement? - thanks for your input. No need to give me more of your expertise...

If you feel you have a right to have your child placed in the age group you think is best, and are already talking about complaining to guest services, if they don't do what you want, then, yes, that pretty much meets the definition of a sense of entitlement.

Hope it works out for you. I was just trying to suggest using a more reasonable tone, when you talk with the staff. You can take my advice or leave it.

And, btw, I was basing my story of how it would likely go based both on stories I've heard from others here and from the experience of table-mates we had on our last cruise. They had a son who was almost 12, who wanted to join the 12-14 year old group. The wouldn't let him do so without at least trying the 9-11 group first.

really - is that what that was? Sense of entitlement? - thanks for your input. No need to give me more of your expertise...

Then why did you ask? There is not a single child on that ship whose parents don't believe he/she is mature and advanced and should definitely be in the next age group, but they simply can't accommodate everyone. Why bother having age groups at all? Hopefully, they will put your son in the next age group - but if they don't, it's not like you don't know the rules (which apparently you don't feel apply to you if you are planning to make a scene).

It is at the discretion of the AO staff, and also dependent on how many children are in each grouping. If there are 40 kids age 9-11 and only 15 age 6-8, it may not be so easy to change groups. I wish the OP good luck!

Archived