Toulon (Provence) on a Sunday & Villefranche on a Monday

annimal

Hello,

My family and I will be on the Liberty of the Seas sailing the Western Mediterranean this coming May. Our first 2 stops are in France - Toulon on a Sunday and Villefranche on a Monday. From what I've read, it looks like many villages (shops, restaurants, etc.) in the Provence region close on Sundays and some attractions, restaurants & shops close on Monday in the Villefranche region.

We were hoping to see Aix-en-Provence and possibly Cassis or Marseille on our Toulon port call, but I am wondering if there will be plenty to see, do and explore on a Sunday. Does anyone have insight or experience on this? If many things are closed on Sundays, does it make it possible to do all 3 villages/towns on a private tour in one trip or is it still a bit too much to do all 3 stops?

On the Villefranche port call (tendering), we were hoping to swing by Cannes for a quick look, then to Nice, then to Monaco and if there's time, then a little walk though Villefranche before tendering back to the ship. We were thinking of using the trains between towns and bus (if needed) locally in each town if we need a break from walking. Perhaps we could catch a train in Villefranche to Cannes, then from Cannes to Nice, the Nice to Monte Carlo and then Monte Carlo back to Villefranche. I believe some sights, shops, markets, etc. are closed in these areas on Mondays, so Cannes is really more just a quick stop over to walk through the town, with more exploration in Nice and leisurely sightseeing in Monaco and a stroll through Villefranche if there's time. Does this seem doable?

While we don't want to burn ourselves out, our group likes to mix things up with a combination of a good amount of sights with some leisure time. The majority of our group is not really big on dawdling around too much in one area. Will we be disappointed with all the closures?

Hi- we stopped in Toulon a few years ago on a Sunday. We did a ship's excursion to Aix and Marseilles. Some of the shops were closed, and you have to pick your time to visit churches, but there was a lovely outdoor market in the morning, and most of the cafes were open, especially on the main street. Some souvenier shops were open.

We didn't see much of Marseilles due to lack of time, just the cathedral and a glimpse of the old port.

In Toulon itself there was also a market, but nearly all the shops were closed, as it is not quite so tourist orientated.

Your Villefranche day looks pretty ambitious. The sights in Monaco are a fair way from the station and just getting from one place to another takes time. Nice is a pleasant enough town, but my favourite memory of the area is the visit to Eze and the stunning views.

kate

We're on the Liberty in June! Gonna be a great trip, no?

For the Villefranche day, keep in mind that Cannes is pretty far out of the way. Unless you really want to see something associated with the film festival, I'd leave it off. Even without Cannes you've got a pretty aggressive schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
We're on the Liberty in June! Gonna be a great trip, no?

For the Villefranche day, keep in mind that Cannes is pretty far out of the way. Unless you really want to see something associated with the film festival, I'd leave it off. Even without Cannes you've got a pretty aggressive schedule.

Hi

I will be on the LOTs in July in a party of 4. I am thinking about Toulon. We have had a quote for a 6 hour tour taking in Aix, Marseille and Cassis. This would be 390 euro.

I was looking at what the ships had to offer for £35 we could go for 5 hours to either Aix or Cassis. My family probably would not worry that they are only getting to one of the places. The difference in cost is significant.

I was also looking at the St Tropez tour. I know my DD would love that. It was more costly at £95 each. I may well be able to ask the private company for a quote on that. A car for 4 would be more fun than a coach party.

The question I really have though is if anyone knows how easy it is to get around this area with public transport. There is lots about how to get to Monte Carlo etc from Villefranche, but very littel first hand info about Toulon.

Hi

I will be on the LOTs in July in a party of 4. I am thinking about Toulon. We have had a quote for a 6 hour tour taking in Aix, Marseille and Cassis. This would be 390 euro.

I was looking at what the ships had to offer for £35 we could go for 5 hours to either Aix or Cassis. My family probably would not worry that they are only getting to one of the places. The difference in cost is significant.

I was also looking at the St Tropez tour. I know my DD would love that. It was more costly at £95 each. I may well be able to ask the private company for a quote on that. A car for 4 would be more fun than a coach party.

The question I really have though is if anyone knows how easy it is to get around this area with public transport. There is lots about how to get to Monte Carlo etc from Villefranche, but very littel first hand info about Toulon.

In researching the trains, from Toulon it's about 1/2 hour to Cassis and one hour to Marseille, but around two hours to Aix since you must go through Marseille. If you stick to Cassis and Marseille a train would be fine, but 4 hours on a train is too much for us on a port day.

On the other hand, it only appears to be about an hour by car from Toulon to Aix, which is the main thing we want to see in the area. Bus service is very lacking, at least on the Sunday we're there. For this reason, we're renting a car.

Les

Good thread for you

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1226994

Based on this and other posts, I'm guessing the Liberty won't even dock in Toulon. I've been reading up on public transportation in the immediate area. Looks like a nice system with boats and buses... though schedules are a bit limited on Sunday.

Good thread for you

Based on this and other posts, I'm guessing the Liberty won't even dock in Toulon. I've been reading up on public transportation in the immediate area. Looks like a nice system with boats and buses... though schedules are a bit limited on Sunday.

If the ship docks in La Seyne-sur-Mer instead of Toulon, the same trains stop there (La Seyne six fours). However, the Toulon train station was the nearest place we could find an open car rental office with an automatic on a Sunday.

Les

• 2 weeks later...
Good thread for you

That was really helpful. It confirms my plan of using the ship tour to get to Aix ! I am all for doing your own thing however this involves too many changes of transport, a reduced (Sunday) service and the need to get back to the ship by 5 pm .... and all this to be worked out on the first morning of our trip.... it does not sound like a good start to me.

but this research has shown me what I think will work best for my family. That is good.

Archived