18-20 year olds must be accompanied by an adult - Really??

Now if we could just get them to enforce their other rules!

Obviously (according to the comments) they actually do know how to make a rule and stick to it ... so why are they so lax with rules such as attire and exactly where children are allowed and not allowed?:rolleyes:

Once aboard they go into keep all guests happy mode...or at least they attempt to do so.

Sad, you can give you life for you country at age 18, vote in the Presidential election, but you can't buy a drink or book a cabin on an RCI ship! ???

Not really. I agree with the others that just because you reached 18, you are NOT an adult. Life ain't fair, get over it everyone.

Since many on this particular thread seem to believe it is just fine to restrict those 18 to 20 wild somethings from booking, drinking, renting a car, etc. Would you support raising the age to join the military to 21 or 25. After all, you seem to think they are not responsible!! Fortunately, those 18 to 20 somethings are the ones you need to thank for your freedom to be able to cruise. OK, I'll get off of my soapbox. It just gripes me how much we have turned in the me me me society.

Hugh

USAF

1960 - 1964

and Yes, that is the Viet Nam era!! 18 to 20 somethings didn't start it, weren't allowed to finish it, and told to forget it when they came home.

I am in my late 30's' date=' so it doesn't matter to me - I am just so surprised that I just read that passengers between 18-20 ("anyone under 21") must be accompanied by an adult.

So a sophomore in college (for example) would not be allowed to take a cruise vacation if she/he wanted to? :confused: That is crazy! How strict are they on this policy? ... I'm just really curious.[/quote']

Very strict.

To book a cabin? Thought you had to be 24 or married to book a cabin? Could be wrong but I am almost positive it's not 21.

Ok now thinking about it, ya maybe 21 because when I tried to make payment online on my daughters cabin it would not let me because she is under 21. The operator verifies we are across the hall before taking payment.

BonVoyage

Dawna

It is 21, 24 on Carnival.

When my husband and I were 24 and engaged when we tried to book a cruise together and they would not allow it on any boat other then NCL. They said we had to be 25 or married. I agree with it to a point, but we were a professional couple getting married within the next year. I'm a teacher and my husband is a manager of a major store. You would think they would make some exceptions! But then again, where do they draw the line?

They do make exceptions! If you are married before your cruise and can prove it, you can sail under 21. Also, if you are in the military you can sail if you are under 21.

Since many on this particular thread seem to believe it is just fine to restrict those 18 to 20 wild somethings from booking, drinking, renting a car, etc. Would you support raising the age to join the military to 21 or 25. After all, you seem to think they are not responsible!! Fortunately, those 18 to 20 somethings are the ones you need to thank for your freedom to be able to cruise. OK, I'll get off of my soapbox. It just gripes me how much we have turned in the me me me society.

Hugh

USAF

1960 - 1964

and Yes, that is the Viet Nam era!! 18 to 20 somethings didn't start it, weren't allowed to finish it, and told to forget it when they came home.

Hugh, thank you for your service to our country. My brother is a drill sargeant in the Army and I respect the military a great deal. I suspect (just with all things) that in earlier times the age to do things was considerably lower. People got married in their teens, left school at 16, joined the military as young men, drove cars, and drunk alcohol. It seems that as our country has gotten older, we have increased the age to do these things by laws and by a natural progression. Apparently the military still keeps their age young and I believe that the discipline instilled by our armed forces makes them an exception to the rules that unfortunately have to be put in place for the 'wild 20somethings' that ruin it for the more civilized others. I think it is a liability thing and nothing more. If the cruiselines where catering to mostly young soldiers on cruises I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to lower the age restrictions, but those young men and woman are busy with more important things like fighting for freedom- not cannonballing into the pool with a margarita in one hand and a rum and coke in the other. Of course there are many respectful 20somethings that are not military as well (I was one back in the day), but as a previous poster said- one rotten apple spoils the bunch.

I am in my late 30's' date=' so it doesn't matter to me - I am just so surprised that I just read that passengers between 18-20 ("anyone under 21") must be accompanied by an adult.

So a sophomore in college (for example) would not be allowed to take a cruise vacation if she/he wanted to? :confused: That is crazy! How strict are they on this policy? ... I'm just really curious.[/quote']

In Europe the drinking age is 18. Yet my 20 year old can neither book a cruise with out someone in the cabin is over 21 AND if I as a parent don't travel with her she can't drink neither! Apparently a person under the age of 21 must travel with a parent or guardian to be able to drink alcohol yet they can get off the ship and drink in port! Some young adults don't have parents and might even be married and have a couple of children by the time they are 20. At the age of 18 they do not have a guardian as they are responsible for their own actions. I understand that rules change if in American waters but in Europe!

What about those who don't partake in that type of behavior? I'm 30 now, but when I was 18-20 i can count on one hand the number of alcoholic drinks I consumed. I also had a large group of friends that did they same thing. We would rather have sat around and played Monopoly or Risk than get hammered. While that behavior may be rampant, it doesn't include everyone, but everyone gets punished for it. It's rather sad if you ask me.

Unfortunately, people like you are not the norm. Many 18-20 year olds are looking to get away and drink. This is why so many High School Seniors like to take trips to Cancun-like locations where 18 is the legal drinking age.

I remember when I was 20, I had a boyfriend that was 24. We were not allowed to go on a cruise. The rule had just come in to effect a few months before we tried to book our trip. We ended up going on the Imperial Majesty 2-day to Nassau & back... Needless to say it didn't even hold a candle to ANY other ship I have been on:eek:

BTW- Carnival's rule is 21 not 24 like many report. I book college students on a lot of cruises during spring break every year. Never had an issue on my end or theirs.

Unfortunately, people like you are not the norm. Many 18-20 year olds are looking to get away and drink. This is why so many High School Seniors like to take trips to Cancun-like locations where 18 is the legal drinking age.

I remember when I was 20, I had a boyfriend that was 24. We were not allowed to go on a cruise. The rule had just come in to effect a few months before we tried to book our trip. We ended up going on the Imperial Majesty 2-day to Nassau & back... Needless to say it didn't even hold a candle to ANY other ship I have been on:eek:

BTW- Carnival's rule is 21 not 24 like many report. I book college students on a lot of cruises during spring break every year. Never had an issue on my end or theirs.

For Carnival if EVERYONE is not 21 then someone MUST be 25

Sad, you can give you life for you country at age 18, vote in the Presidential election, but you can't buy a drink or book a cabin on an RCI ship! ???

Thank you for your service, but I truly hate this argument. The fact is a vast majority of people this age are not serving as you describe. RCI, as a for-profit, bottom-line driven business would not restrict a segment of the paying population without reason. Obviously they feel that the hassle is not worth the cost to them ... something they are allowed to decide in the free country that many in the armed forces have fought and died for.

I guess I just don't understand why it is so important to some parents to be able to find a way to get alcoholic beverages for their underaged kids.:confused:

If the drinking age is 21..it is 21, regardless of your marital status,degree of maturity or even your military status.

If you don't agree with the law then you can lobby for changes.:)

I guess I just don't understand why it is so important to some parents to be able to find a way to get alcoholic beverages for their underaged kids.:confused:

If the drinking age is 21..it is 21, regardless of your marital status,degree of maturity or even your military status.

If you don't agree with the law then you can lobby for changes.:)

Actually many states (I think it is 29) have exceptions to this law. For example, in Texas, it is legal for someone underage to drink when in the presence of their parent or guardian. I think they distinguish between consumption and possession.

Not meaning to argue. I just didn't realize this until we moved to Texas.

Incidentally, I do agree that parents should not be aiding their children in underage drinking and on most RCI cruise ships that age is 21 with no exceptions.

Actually many states (I think it is 29) have exceptions to this law. For example, in Texas, it is legal for someone underage to drink when in the presence of their parent or guardian. I think they distinguish between consumption and possession.

Not meaning to argue. I just didn't realize this until we moved to Texas.

Incidentally, I do agree that parents should not be aiding their children in underage drinking and on most RCI cruise ships that age is 21 with no exceptions.

States should have the right to make their own laws. I agree with that.

But if cruiselines establish their own I guess I don't get why so many parents go to such lengths to skirt those rules just so their kids can drink?

If their underaged kids can't enjoy dinner without a beer or some wine maybe they should all vacation in Texas?;)

States should have the right to make their own laws. I agree with that.

But if cruiselines establish their own I guess I don't get why so many parents go to such lengths to skirt those rules just so their kids can drink?

If their underaged kids can't enjoy dinner without a beer or some wine maybe they should all vacation in Texas?;)

Well, not exactly. Even though the state technically allows it, restaurants seem to be able to rightfully deny underage drinking, even if the parents are present. Too much potential liability.

When our son was 20 on the last cruise, he wasn't allowed to drink on board. When we were in port, he was free to have a beer if he wanted. I was ok with that since we never separate in port.

As a parent, the one message I do not want to send is that you can pick and choose which laws you want to obey.

Well, not exactly. Even though the state technically allows it, restaurants seem to be able to rightfully deny underage drinking, even if the parents are present. Too much potential liability.

When our son was 20 on the last cruise, he wasn't allowed to drink on board. When we were in port, he was free to have a beer if he wanted. I was ok with that since we never separate in port.

As a parent, the one message I do not want to send is that you can pick and choose which laws you want to obey.

You are to be admired for that.:)

Far too many parents teach their kids that it is fine to do just that. Pick which laws you like and follow those and then figure out how to skirt around the ones you don't like.

No wonder so many kids today have such a sense of "entitlement". They get it from their parents.:(

Just because someone is 20 doesn't mean that there mission on their vacation is to get drunk or to even drink. My daughter has access to the Conceirge lounge because she is diamond plus in her own right. She has been able to drink legally since the age of 18. Does she no she drinks Ginger ale. Infact most of her friends don't drink or if they do will only have a couple. And like someone else has said would rather play monopoly then get drunk yet she needs me to travel with her if she wants to drink a drop of Vodka in her Ginger ale. I thnk what the problem is because college students in the USA are not legally allowed to drink when they do get the chance they do and spoil it for every other 18-20 year old who wish to travel without a parent.

You are to be admired for that.:)

Far too many parents teach their kids that it is fine to do just that. Pick which laws you like and follow those and then figure out how to skirt around the ones you don't like.

No wonder so many kids today have such a sense of "entitlement". They get it from their parents.:(

As well as society at large, not always just the parents. Friends, peers, outside influences.

Since many on this particular thread seem to believe it is just fine to restrict those 18 to 20 wild somethings from booking, drinking, renting a car, etc. Would you support raising the age to join the military to 21 or 25.

Not at all! BUT ... I would support raising the voting age back up to 21 ...

AND ... allow 18yo's to book a cruise IF they were in the military. Vote at 18 IF they were in the military also. (That would be a nice perk for serving our country.)

FYI ... I joined the Marines at 17 and we were allowed to drink at the clubs while on-base only (never off-base). We couldn't vote and that irritated me a bit.

The cruiselines do NOT want a "spring break" atmosphere on their ships (that cater to alot of families!)...so they make this rule to try to keep a responsible adult in charge. There are exceptions if you are a young, married couple...but a bunch of under-21 kids (and even tho' they are "legally" able to sign a contract and vote) who are still stupid as hell, in most cases, they want to restrict their passage. I'm sure you've seen hotels after a "college-aged" group has plowed thru...it's NOT pretty!

Quite frankly, the infantilisation that has gone on with adults in the 18-21 yr group continues to astound me. When I was 18, it was when you were an adult. And you were expected to act like one, and pay the consequences if you didn't.

Treat them like children, and they will behave like children.

But low and behold one commits a crime. THEN they are treated like adults. Or low and behold, and one joins the army. They they are kindly allowed to be able to die for you, as an adult.

18-21 yr olds are adults and should be treated as such. So, go ahead, don't allow them to book a cabin. I agree, a cruise ship isn't meant for spring breakers. As a business RCCL should be able to decide. But the rest of us should treat them as adults and maybe they will act like adults.

Dear friends:

I'm sorry, but I don't buy all of those arguments you are making that the cruise line is a private, for-profit, business so it can make its own rules.

Your constitution prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, age, etc.

If I own a restaurant or bar in New York or California, can I decide to make a rule that blacks or Asians (just to use examples), cannot enter? Can I make a rule that says under 25 cannot enter? I don't think that would hold up if constitutionally challenged.

I honestly don't think the cruise line age restriction would hold up either, if constitutionally challenged. However, I don't think anybody has ever challenged it. And since most people seem to agree with it, the likelihood of it getting challenged is not very high.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Many years ago, I was in college in Miami. I went on my first cruise- Carnival Ecstasy, four days to Nassau. Four of us booked a cabin, all aged 19 and 20.

Now that I am older (and hopefully wiser!), I am thankful that a group like the four of us college kids can no longer do that.

There are already enough drunks on board, adding that mix would make cruising intolerable.

Dear friends:

I'm sorry, but I don't buy all of those arguments you are making that the cruise line is a private, for-profit, business so it can make its own rules.

Your constitution prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, age, etc.

If I own a restaurant or bar in New York or California, can I decide to make a rule that blacks or Asians (just to use examples), cannot enter? Can I make a rule that says under 25 cannot enter? I don't think that would hold up if constitutionally challenged.

I honestly don't think the cruise line age restriction would hold up either, if constitutionally challenged. However, I don't think anybody has ever challenged it. And since most people seem to agree with it, the likelihood of it getting challenged is not very high.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Sorry Gunther, but you're wrong. There are plenty of age restrictions in the U.S. Heck, there are entire residential developments that require you be over the age of 50 or 55 to live there. Lot's of places that don't allow kids. And it is absolutely within a restaurants right to say "no children".

Except speeding, right. I think we can all agree it's OK to break those laws sometimes. Plus maybe one or two more. But beyond that, no picking and choosing.

Dear friends:

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

You would not be allowed to discriminate on the basis of religion, race. etc. Laws prohibit that kind of thing.

There are establishments that provide "adult" entertainment and people of certain ages are not allowed in them.

Archived