Newbie on Windsurf--hair dryers?

Janikwa

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a good idea to bring your own hair dryer and you will not have to worry about it. They do not take up that much room. Most people that post questions about hair dryers are not going to like the ones provided no matter what ship you are on. I think they provide hair dryers for people like me that have thin hair.

MexicoBob

• 3 weeks later...
A followup to the OP--are they low heat/air dryers, or are they high heat turbo dryers? What type of wattage are we talking? I generally need a good 1600 watts to get my thick hair dry in a reasonable amount of time.

My husband and I just returned from the 2/20/11 Windstar Wind Surf sailing from Barbados. I have VERY thick/long hair and always travel with my own hair dryer because the in-room dryers are insufficient in drying my hair.

The first evening I managed to trip the breaker in our cabin (my dryer is 1300 watts). After notifing the reception I was told that the suggested max wattage was 400 watts (no wonder).

After initially being dismayed at the fact that my hair was going to be a disaster all week, I spent the remainder of our weeklong trip with damp hair in the evening that I usually had in an updo or bun-and it was AWESOME to be so casual and relaxed!

My husband and I just returned from the 2/20/11 Windstar Wind Surf sailing from Barbados. I have VERY thick/long hair and always travel with my own hair dryer because the in-room dryers are insufficient in drying my hair.

The first evening I managed to trip the breaker in our cabin (my dryer is 1300 watts). After notifing the reception I was told that the suggested max wattage was 400 watts (no wonder).

After initially being dismayed at the fact that my hair was going to be a disaster all week, I spent the remainder of our weeklong trip with damp hair in the evening that I usually had in an updo or bun-and it was AWESOME to be so casual and relaxed!

?? Did you try the 220V hair dryer in the cabin?

The hair dryer in the cabin is pretty small but very effective. I have shoulder length, naturally curly hair and had no problem at all drying it smooth on those evenings when I wanted it that way. Some evenings I chose to go with the flow and have what I call "island hair" when I just let the breeze on deck dry my tresses, but the dryer was powerfull enough for styling. It has two hot drying settings and cool setting for finishing off. I didn't notice what the wattage was but I'm used to 1200 watts at home. You do have to crawl under the desk to plug it in.

You do have to crawl under the desk to plug it in.

The lead/cable for the hair dryer is long enough that once it's plugged in the dryer will easily sit on the chair at the desk or on top of the desk itself. In my experience the cabin steward will not unplug it so it's a one-time inconvenience to plug it in rather than an every day nuisance.

Mands

?? Did you try the 220V hair dryer in the cabin?

I used the cabin hair dryer as best as I could. It usually takes about 20-30 minutes to dry my hair totally (even at the salon with "professional" dryers. Turned out to be "not a big deal" and I just went with the flow.:D

Archived