Waitlist on Mariner?

Huddler

I will admit that I am a big dummy! I have waited too long to get on the 10 day Baltic cruises that Mariner is doing in June 2011. The veranda cabins are completely booked up with only suites being available. We need 3 veranda cabins and an inside or oceanview cabin. Or 2 verandas and 2 inside or oceanview. I called and they said the waitlist was something like 10 or 15 deep for the veranda's. What are the odds that enough people cancel in time where I could get these cabins? Should I just go book something else and not waste my time? Thanks in advance. BTW, I have cruised on the Nautica a few years ago and we fell in love with Oceania!

I will admit that I am a big dummy! I have waited too long to get on the 10 day Baltic cruises that Mariner is doing in June 2011. The veranda cabins are completely booked up with only suites being available. We need 3 veranda cabins and an inside or oceanview cabin. Or 2 verandas and 2 inside or oceanview. I called and they said the waitlist was something like 10 or 15 deep for the veranda's. What are the odds that enough people cancel in time where I could get these cabins? Should I just go book something else and not waste my time? Thanks in advance. BTW, I have cruised on the Nautica a few years ago and we fell in love with Oceania!

A lot of people cancel around the time final payment is due. Get on the waitlist and book something else as a backup, with a later final payment date.

Since you have posted this to the Oceania board, the assumption is that you mean Oceania Marina, and not Regent Seven Seas Mariner.

There is a cruise called "Baltic Treasures" on the Marina which departs June 10 or 11, 2011. Is this the cruise you meant?

It is very unlikely you will ever get the cabins you seek on that sailing, as it will be full of alumni groups and is even shown to be "sold out" at the first alumni travel site I checked. It may be possible that there will be cancellations later, but not likely in the number you need nor in the categories you want.

My suggestion would be to look for other sailings that interest you.

Oceans&Rivers,

Which alumni groups are on this cruise? (My prejudice: I got a bit burned on my first Nautica cruise when one of these groups kept 12 loungers on the shady side of the pool deck reserved all day long while most of them came and went to various classes and other activities, so basically four people occupied 12 loungers obnoxiously.)

Which alumni groups are on this cruise? (My prejudice: I got a bit burned on my first Nautica cruise when one of these groups kept 12 loungers on the shady side of the pool deck reserved all day long while most of them came and went to various classes and other activities, so basically four people occupied 12 loungers obnoxiously.)

Cruise Critic rules prevent me from naming the vendors who book many of these alumni groups or linking to them, but I recall that Penn State Alumni will be one of the alumni groups onboard "Baltic Treasures".

I am sorry to read that any groups would try to save loungers for one another, and not only because I have a cruise booked (we booked as an individual couple) that is full of alumni groups, so full that I have had three offers to move off the voyage so they can get their mitts on our cabin!

I detest chair hogging, and won't allow myself to do it, either. (Good angel wins this one, though naughty angel often wins when it comes to ordering my own dessert and also sneaking a bite of my husband's.)

I will also speak up (to the chair hoggers and to staff), but more importantly than my lone voice is that I fully expect that Oceania insists that their staff ensure that chaise longues are not "reserved". Of course, the same goes for theater seats, Horizon lounge seats, etc.

CintiPam, if you booked a desirable cabin that the group wants, you will likely be offered something to move off the sailing, as I have been off ours, and I am surprised if you have not been already, as our cruise is months after yours.

What category have you booked on this "sold out" sailing?

P.S. I also see Wayne State, University of Nevada at Reno, Kent State, Indiana University. There are lots of different groups onboard.

CintiPam, if you booked a desirable cabin that the group wants, you will likely be offered something to move off the sailing, as I have been off ours, and I am surprised if you have not been already, as our cruise is months after yours.

What category have you booked on this "sold out" sailing?

P.S. I also see Wayne State, University of Nevada at Reno, Kent State, Indiana University. There are lots of different groups onboard.

We are in C, Ocean View Stateroom, booked on day 1 that Marina took bookings way back in March 2010. By the time we boarded Regatta at the end of April, there was about a 20-person waiting list for those 20-only cabins. I have not heard anything from Oceania, but I just spent a whole lot of money on my airplane tickets last Sunday!:)

Was waitlisted for the Marina Maiden voyage since early March, went from #50 down to #19 day after final pay Oct 20th,...Oceania and our TA were incredulous we did not clear. Due to Marina's popularity don't believe you will clear the WL even after Final Pay unless you are in the top 3 WL #'s. BTW, when I read on the Oceania blog, last Monday night, that the CEO (FDR)and President (Bob Binder) were getting off in Tenerife, I went through O leadership to buy one of their cabins just for the crossing portion of the maiden, at first blush, my contact said he did not see why not--we both were thinking they would have sailded empty. Immediately, Mon late eve we put ffmile award seats on hold and got our pet setter arranged. Alas, Tuesday morning got an email sadly telling me these cabins (the only two that were free on the Marina) were given to Fincantieri Ship Builder personnel to help fix minor problems that surfaced on the maiden. Thus, believe the Marina cabins now are some of the most demanded in the market, esp after SLdispatcher's marvelous "Live from the Marina" thread. Marina has been referred to by cruise pundits (e.g. Gene sloan of USA today) as a game changer, beg to differ, think Marina is now the first "League Changer" blurring the line between upper premium and luxury lines.

We are in C, Ocean View Stateroom, booked on day 1 that Marina took bookings way back in March 2010. By the time we boarded Regatta at the end of April, there was about a 20-person waiting list for those 20-only cabins. I have not heard anything from Oceania, but I just spent a whole lot of money on my airplane tickets last Sunday!:)

I'm sure you'll be just fine out on deck, especially as the Baltic is not known for balmy weather and hanging out in the sun. Those Cat C's look great to me, but I'm still surprised you haven't even had an offer to move to another sailing. Perhaps someone on your own roll call has more information.

You have probably figured it out already, but book whatever you want to do on ship (dining, classes) just as soon as you are able to do so, because your sailing is full if not oversold.

No matter what, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise. :)

P.S. I notice that there is a Vista Suite available for your "Baltic Treasures" sailing. :)

Since you have posted this to the Oceania board, the assumption is that you mean Oceania Marina, and not Regent Seven Seas Mariner.

There is a cruise called "Baltic Treasures" on the Marina which departs June 10 or 11, 2011. Is this the cruise you meant?

It is very unlikely you will ever get the cabins you seek on that sailing, as it will be full of alumni groups and is even shown to be "sold out" at the first alumni travel site I checked. It may be possible that there will be cancellations later, but not likely in the number you need nor in the categories you want.

My suggestion would be to look for other sailings that interest you.

Oceans&Rivers, If you don't mind telling me, what are some of the alumni sites?

Thank you!

I'm sure you'll be just fine out on deck, especially as the Baltic is not known for balmy weather and hanging out in the sun. Those Cat C's look great to me, but I'm still surprised you haven't even had an offer to move to another sailing. Perhaps someone on your own roll call has more information.

You have probably figured it out already, but book whatever you want to do on ship (dining, classes) just as soon as you are able to do so, because your sailing is full if not oversold.

No matter what, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise. :)

P.S. I notice that there is a Vista Suite available for your "Baltic Treasures" sailing. :)

I did not read all the posts before I asked you about sites for the alumni groups. I was thinking you meant Oceania alumni. I am on the June 11 Baltic Treasures cruise and we were offered our choice of a PH on 3 other sailings if we would give up our cabin on this cruise.

It is not just the Marina and it is not just the Baltic cruises where offers are being made. I was offered an upgrade to a PH on the Regatta if I gave up my A balcony cabin and moved from the August Alaska cruise to the May version of the same cruise. Oceania is getting more and more popular in Alaska, too- at least in August if not May. (I am keeping the August date.) Having looked at the Baltic itinerary, I am not surprised at the popularity of the Marina.

I appreciate your advice, but I am not worried at all about booking my four specialty dining reservations. Oceania more than fulfills its promises to its passengers in all ways. I have been on three Oceania cruises in just over the past two years, two of those also sold out, I believe, and I never have had any problem obtaining the promised dining reservations for the specialty restaurants, or returning to my beloved Polo provided that I am flexible on time and company. It is my vacation, the one time of year that my husband does not have to live on a rigid schedule of billing his time, and the flexibility Oceania provides in its dining policies is one of the reasons so we much enjoy this cruise ship line.

With no sea days, I certainly also am not too concerned about booking classes on this port-intensive cruise. I can take a myriad of cooking classes at home, in fact, I am doing one this evening, but I cannot cruise the canals of St. Petersburg at home!

Archived