Western Caribbean Questions

athena73

HELP!

My Mom has tasked me with finding the perfect Caribbean cruise in which she can see some Mayan ruins. I know Costa Maya has some, but not all ships call there. What do you guys suggest for someone with slightly limited mobility?

Also, the plan is to cruise next January. My sister gets horrifically sea sick. How is the ocean that time of year? I read recently that they are pretty rough. Is that typical?

Thanks all!!

I just did Ecstasy to progresso and they had at least 3 great priced ruins thru Carnival. I would be afraid to do them on my own, as some people almost missed the ship.

We docked next to Triumph in Progresso and they combined them with our ship for excursions.

The most expensive was $79, and it included more than just ruins. One was 7 hours for $71.99, included a box lunch, one included the sink hole and you could swim, the other one included something else.

Often Iv seen ruins for around $100 thru the cruiseline, so they were either less expensive on my cruise or its because we went to Progresso? Or it was Ecstasy is cheaper?

I thought the prices were quite good thru Carnival.

PS the seas were pretty smooth to me, but brand new cruisers, thought even a 2 - 3 ft wave was rough.. its all relative.

HELP!

My Mom has tasked me with finding the perfect Caribbean cruise in which she can see some Mayan ruins. I know Costa Maya has some, but not all ships call there. What do you guys suggest for someone with slightly limited mobility?

Also, the plan is to cruise next January. My sister gets horrifically sea sick. How is the ocean that time of year? I read recently that they are pretty rough. Is that typical?

Thanks all!!

The Chuckchobbin (sp) ruins in Costa Maya are nice. If you get a cruise that goes there I would recommend going to the ruins. Check shore excursions for any ship porting in Cozumel. The Mayan ruins at Tulum are offered there and they are fabulous. I would definately use the ships excursion since the excursion includes a ferry ride and a bus ride to and from Tulum.

We just returned from a southern Caribbean cruise and the seas weren't that bad. There were some high seas one day but nothing to bad. We went last Jan and the seas were fine.

Excellent Mayan ruin tours are available from Progreso, Calica, Costa Maya and Belize so you will want to pick a western Caribbean itinerary that includes one or more of those ports.

January is a nice time of year to sail as tropical storms are not an issue. I suggest you pick a cruise from Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa or Port Canaveral as the Florida departure ports give you the best probability of warm weather in January.

Archived