Port Visitors

dereklola

I believe (but may be wrong) that Homeland Security rules prohibit non-passengers to board the ship similar to what occurs in airports with respect to access to gates without a boarding pass.:)

We may be wrong too, but reading messages on other cruise lines' columns on this board, it seems that you can have visitors (with sufficient prior notice and proof of identity just like a passenger) if the cruise line itself so allows. So the gate keeper appears to be the cruise line, not Homeland Security. Normally, only the small luxury ships (Seabourn and Silversea) would allow this, not other larger ships, including Oceania (it creates too much trouble for the cruise line). There may be exceptions for presidential suites on mass market lines.

I would think for U.S. ports you must be precleared by Oceania & Homeland security well ahead of time

There was a bit of a kerfuffle a couple of years ago where some of O top guys were not allowed to board in Miami because they were not on the list.

I was surprised to see that HAL allowed this to happen. When we were boarding in NYC a family that one of the ship's staff had worked for was permitted to go on until departure and have lunch and a tour with the staff member. Not that I see anything wrong with it, but I, too, thought that this was a NONO according to Homeland Security. Live and learn!

I was surprised to see that HAL allowed this to happen. When we were boarding in NYC a family that one of the ship's staff had worked for was permitted to go on until departure and have lunch and a tour with the staff member. Not that I see anything wrong with it, but I, too, thought that this was a NONO according to Homeland Security. Live and learn!

Maybe they were precleared :confused:

On Oceania often we have seen family members of the crew come on board at their home port

You see the crew member showing them around the ship

I think it is a nice gesture of Oceania to let their family see where they spend months away from them.

Lyn

We may be wrong too, but reading messages on other cruise lines' columns on this board, it seems that you can have visitors (with sufficient prior notice and proof of identity just like a passenger) if the cruise line itself so allows. So the gate keeper appears to be the cruise line, not Homeland Security. Normally, only the small luxury ships (Seabourn and Silversea) would allow this, not other larger ships, including Oceania (it creates too much trouble for the cruise line). There may be exceptions for presidential suites on mass market lines.

We brought friends onboard Crystal a couple of years ago. They still allow this, with the proper notice and identification, of course.

Many years ago, on one of our earliest cruises—Princess as a matter of fact—we had an onboard sailaway party of 8-10 in our little oceanview cabin! That was followed by streamers thrown to our friends at the pier, a custom that has also gone by the wayside.

Oceans&Rivers,

I remember that, too! Are we dating ourselves??? When we cruised on Home Lines out of Manhattan in 1978 (our first cruise), some of our friends and family joined us in our cabin (closet??? - it was tiny by today's standards) for snacks that were sent to us by our travel agent. We had drinks and a bon voyage champagne toast. Then as the crew walked the companion ways saying, "all ashore that are going ashore" our family kissed us and Mom slipped us a $50 (WOW) and left. We rushed up on deck (no balcony for us then) and scanned the crowd for them and we all threw streamers and confetti! Thank you for reminding me about that - I just got a warm fuzzy feeling!!

Does Oceania allow visitors on board when in port? We've done this on other cruise lines - subject to security (passports etc) of course.

Our personal experience is that pre-approval must be obtained from Oceania at least thirty days in advance. Written approval must be presented at dock-side and your guests will be allowed to board. We didn't have lunch with them, but I understand that it could have been arranged at a charge.

But, as you can see, occasional visitors should not just show up and expect to be allowed on board.

Meow is correct..homeland security has nothing to do with visitors coming on the ship..

Jancruz1

Many years ago, on one of our earliest cruises—Princess as a matter of fact—we had an onboard sailaway party of 8-10 in our little oceanview cabin! That was followed by streamers thrown to our friends at the pier, a custom that has also gone by the wayside.

For some reason, your post reminded me of that famous Marx Brothers movie scene from The Night at the Opera of everyone squooshing into a very small cabin with more people entering all the time. If Jim were not in the air today on his way to Marina in Miami, I am sure he would post the appropriate youtube link! (I am sure that this iconic scene would be easy to find.)

Our experience is pre-9/11 (May 2001 to be exact) and it was Renaissance, but at the time the official policy was NO visitors. However, it was up to the captain.

When we overnighted in Copenhagen on that cruise a Danish friend was able to come on board. Actually, she could have spent the night had she wished but not knowing this was possible, she had gotten a hotel. (She lives near Aarhus rather than in CPH.) But she was allowed on board and even had some meals with us, but she had to leave her driver's license and a credit card in hock with the security staff at the gangway.

As I said, this was before 9-11 and I'm sure it's even harder to do this now. But it seems from previous posts that it isn't absolutely impossible. But as they say, previous notice would seem to be essential.

(I'm well aware that just because Renaissance let her on board, that doesn't mean Oceania would!)

For some reason, your post reminded me of that famous Marx Brothers movie scene from The Night at the Opera of everyone squooshing into a very small cabin with more people entering all the time. If Jim were not in the air today on his way to Marina in Miami, I am sure he would post the appropriate youtube link! (I am sure that this iconic scene would be easy to find.)

:)

Oceans&Rivers,

I remember that, too! Are we dating ourselves??? When we cruised on Home Lines out of Manhattan in 1978 (our first cruise), some of our friends and family joined us in our cabin (closet??? - it was tiny by today's standards) for snacks that were sent to us by our travel agent. We had drinks and a bon voyage champagne toast. Then as the crew walked the companion ways saying, "all ashore that are going ashore" our family kissed us and Mom slipped us a $50 (WOW) and left. We rushed up on deck (no balcony for us then) and scanned the crowd for them and we all threw streamers and confetti! Thank you for reminding me about that - I just got a warm fuzzy feeling!!

That's great. Our first cruise was in the mid 1980's and we threw streamers while the live band played for us as we departed Los Angeles for the Mexican Riviera. It was just the two of us, so we threw our streamers to strangers at the pier, and while she didn't come with us, my Mom had given me a beautiful corsage to wear. I also wore a hat and dress (no gloves!). My husband wore a suit. Yikes! We were probably slightly overdressed, but not by much in those days.

Actually, by the time we reached the ship it was more than the two of us, because I hadn't checked my Samsonite vanity case (remember those?), and at the boarding gate I was told to go back to the check-in counter to do it because I had too many items. Another passenger (on the plane and on our cruise), a sweet young woman, volunteered to take my vanity case on the plane, which was allowed, and we got to know each other and had a great time for the next ten days, and kept in touch for a number of years.

(Can you imagine a stranger doing that nowadays? Even if they would do it, can you just imagine the TSA response?)

Princess sells a package that allows people to come on board, have lunch, and see some of the ship. I believe it is about $39 per person, and of course, arrangements must be made in advance. I have read comments from several people who took family members or friends on board with this program, and it seems that in most cases those people soon booked a cruise on Princess. Sounds like good marketing to me.

Archived