Norwegian Spirit Drydock???

louisianagirl70

220 V ship??? Does that mean that we will need converters for the electrical outlets in the cabins?? I just assumed that they would be our standard electrical outlets ( north america)

Ship was originally built for Asia hence the 220 thing. There is a single 110 outlet by the mirror. If you need more it might be a good idea to pack a small power strip of some sort.

Ship was originally built for Asia hence the 220 thing. There is a single 110 outlet by the mirror. If you need more it might be a good idea to pack a small power strip of some sort.

Thanks for this info. I would have never packed anything like this had I not known. :)

The only other thing the tv is good for is checking my climbing OBC balance. :D

The Spirit doesn't have the in-room accessibility functionality the EPIC has so don't expect it. :) I do love the feature which is found on the EPIC and I first saw on the Celebrity Solstice. It's a great feature and I do love it. I assume the new builds NCL has in the pipeline will also have this feature. I must say it does help cut down on the line at guest relations by a lot! :D

So, having looked through the thread does anyone have any ideas or rumours to share regarding what is planned to be done during this dry dock?

Don't expect anything major to change to the interior or exterior of the ship this drydock. She was in drydock in Alabama 2008/2009 and had a major renovation done to her then. They added more cabins back then to the port side and moved the arcade to behind the bar near the Blue Lagoon. That was the major renovation which happened to her.

This drydock will be more about changing the carpeting inside the ship and more like scraping down her under side and putting another coat of paint on their to make her glide through the water better. With her sitting around for days in Bermuda, I'm sure she needs a good scraping under there as the barnacles I'm sure have built up. They also need her to be ready to be more gliding across the Atlantic for her repo to Europe. It's more for the technical stuff and minor cosmetics inside the ship then for a massive overhaul (re: Dawn's drydock this year). :)

The Spirit doesn't have the in-room accessibility functionality the EPIC has so don't expect it. :) I do love the feature which is found on the EPIC and I first saw on the Celebrity Solstice. It's a great feature and I do love it. I assume the new builds NCL has in the pipeline will also have this feature. I must say it does help cut down on the line at guest relations by a lot! :D

So you can't check your spending OBC on the tvs on the Spirit? :eek: gasp. That really sucks. Do they have the channel that shows the excursions and also where the ship might be along route on the trip?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Cool! I'm really interested to see what they do to the ship, as I'm going on the October 9th sailing after the dry dock! Though, I've never been on it before, so I wouldn't be able to say if anything's different. :P

I was on the Sept.4th (turned out to be the 6th) sailing, and saw a few areas that needed to be fixed/spiffed up....I'll be going in January to see what they did, and I HOPE it will be fresh in mind so I notice the improvements! Don't get me wrong. We had a GREAT time and NONE of the 'minor' things I noticed detracted from our vacation.

Cool! I'm really interested to see what they do to the ship, as I'm going on the October 9th sailing after the dry dock! Though, I've never been on it before, so I wouldn't be able to say if anything's different. :P

this is from a press release dtd 9/22 (found it on the ncl site)

Norwegian Spirit’s refurbishment includes:

• Installing wireless internet access throughout the entire ship including crew areas;
  • New flat screen televisions in guest and crew staterooms;
  • Upgrades to accessible guest staterooms and the addition of ramps in various areas of the ship;
  • Replacement of 64,000 square feet of carpet throughout the ship;
  • Addition of new silk plants throughout the ship;
  • Enhancements to the Stardust Theater;
  • Addition of an aerobics room in the Roman Spa and Fitness Center for spinning, yoga and various fitness classes;
  • Updates to Raffles Court, the ship’s buffet restaurant.

I see a hole in the Norwegian Spirit's schedule from September 25th to October 9th. I don't know where she's going into drydock but that'd be the time she's going in. Darn! We're going on her pre-drydock. I'm sure she'll still be ok! At least we're not the cruise just before it! :)

I have not had experience sailing a NCL ship before drydock but our last CCL cruise was on one and it was the worst cruise ever! Everything looked awful and they started some of the renos while we wee aboard. It was so bad it caused us to switch from CCL to NCL and we have been NCL ever since.

I would like feedback from someone on the ship the week before she drydocks.

who is your son and what does he do onboard?

He's the Technical Supervisor in the Stardust.

He sent me a pic of hundreds of the old TV's loaded on pallets and plastic-wrapped for shipping. No A/C still but everyone was hanging out on the upper decks for the evening. Busy days already.

He's the Technical Supervisor in the Stardust.

He sent me a pic of hundreds of the old TV's loaded on pallets and plastic-wrapped for shipping. No A/C still but everyone was hanging out on the upper decks for the evening. Busy days already.

Thanks for the updates. Will be on the Spirit Oct 23rd and can't wait. Sorry to hear about the no A/C issue for your son. Tell him that we appreciate the crew on the spirit as they are most hard working and friendliest that I have seen on a cruise ship.

Can't wait to see the shows again especially "Elements" and those two Russian acrobatics.

Do you know who the cruise director will be for my Oct 23rd cruise? Had Paul Scally once and he was hilarious.

The only time you'll find me watching the tv is while I'm getting ready to go out and I'm only watching the "excursion" channels to get me pumped up to where we are going (even though I book my own privately and not with the cruise line).

The only other thing the tv is good for is checking my climbing OBC balance. :D

Same here. LOL We never are in the room actually watching tv. My husband might be watching it while waiting on me to get ready. My favorite channel was the cruise channel and the slots game.

We were on the last cruise on the Spirit before dry dock, they were taking off all the old T.V's and replacing with flat screens. The staff that I spoke to said that every dish, silverware , surface on the ship gets completely cleaned and sanitized! They said that it is very hard work.

As we were leaving you could see that they we stacking the beds so all the carpets could be cleaned.

We had a suite and they asked us if there was anything that they should focus on to make the suite better.

After 6 NCL cruises I can say the staff on the Spirit is the best, try to get on her before she leaves New Orleans.

your CD for Oct 23 will be Kyle Dodson... he is great!

crewmom--your son is awesome, he just got back to the spirit and we love him. i went home for dry dock bcuz ive done 2 already and just needed a break.

Thanks! Dry dock is hard work isn't it? Enjoy your vacation! Are you going back to the Spirit for your next contract? DS spent alot of his working doing local gigs, which is good since it keeps his hand in the concert end of sound.

Archived