First Time Seabourn-Excursions Greece & Turkey

swifs

Time to get busy planning our excursions for the April trip to Greece and Turkey (leaving from Rome). I haven't cruised Seabourn before and I was wondering about the quality of their excursions. As their ships are smaller, do they also have smaller groups for their excursions or can I expect the same large-ship experience as the larger cruise lines? If so, then I will probably opt for more private tours based on CC recommendations which have always been helpful. On the other hand, if anyone has taken excursions with Seabourn in any of Trapani, Valleta, Delphi, Navplion, Santorini, or Kudadasi and would recommend them, please let me know your thoughts. (GYI-we have a strong interest in history and little patience for stops to shops in cameo factories, etc.)

Hi Swifs,

I did a similar leg to your description and offer the following for you to consider,

I found the Seabourn excursions to be very well arranged and profession. The parties they offer and have chosen, understand the standards of Seabourn. They are personal and in depth particularly the historical excursions.

Of the ports you have mentioned I went on the following:-

Santorini, where we did the half day tour which took you to the highlights of this fascinating place. I recommend same to you which will allow you to quickly view the area, but it honestly isn't enough time to absorb its beauty. I seemed to recall the odyssey ship was the vessel there for about 8 hours which is such a shame as I would have loved to viewed the famous sunset.

Navplion is a very quite, sleepy hollow towns when there are little stores, cafes etc. I don't recall anything that may be of interest to you here

Ephesus, I did the tour which included visiting the last known home of the virgin mary. Lunch was included and was set in the most beautiful restaurant with sails as covers whilst eating. I would definitely recommend you to take either tour whilst in Ephesus, it is definitely a highlight.

This tour leg I believe also includes visiting Ephesus at night for a short Opera. It was brilliant, which made the night visit a enjoyable difference seeing the difference of Ephesus in day time then night. By the way, you will visit a Turkish carpet factory, which at the time, I was apprehensive, but after visiting it, I was happy I attended as it made me appreciate the skills of this craft.

Wish you the very best cruise

Alfa

Time to get busy planning our excursions for the April trip to Greece and Turkey (leaving from Rome). I haven't cruised Seabourn before and I was wondering about the quality of their excursions. As their ships are smaller, do they also have smaller groups for their excursions or can I expect the same large-ship experience as the larger cruise lines? If so, then I will probably opt for more private tours based on CC recommendations which have always been helpful. On the other hand, if anyone has taken excursions with Seabourn in any of Trapani, Valleta, Delphi, Navplion, Santorini, or Kudadasi and would recommend them, please let me know your thoughts. (GYI-we have a strong interest in history and little patience for stops to shops in cameo factories, etc.)

We have done three cruises. This includes late June 2006 on 204-passenger Seabourn Spirit, Athens to Istanbul, enjoying three of the Greek Isles and two Turkish Coast stops over these seven days. Then late July 2008 on the 940-passenger Crystal Symphony, Dover to Stockholm, enjoying the Baltics and Russia. And this year July 1-16 on the 296-passenger Silver Cloud from Copenhagen seeing the Norway Coast, fjords, above the Arctic Circle, Land of the Midnight Sun, etc.

All three lines are comparable and good with the shore trips. Buses are not stuffed. Maybe half full. Ship staff travels along to watch for those moving slowly, etc. Then, there are guides. With all three lines, there is a wide, wide range of skills, experience and style. All of the guides are "local", which you would expect. BUT, it's only luck on whether you get an outgoing, entertaining super star . . . OR . . . just average and OK. Clearly, it seems that pricing keeps going up for such tours. The cruise lines seek to cover their cost and make a little money to make up for what they must do to attract customers and have better front-end pricing/"deals".

For Kudadasi with Seabourn, there only about eleven of us in this tour. Nice to have a small group, but we were on a smaller bus that was not as roomy with better leg room as you might have with a 50-passenger type of bus. It all worked fine. Below are a couple pictures on that tour.

It is good you have read on postings on the various tour options. My view? We have done BOTH private tours and ship excursions. Guides are guides!!! Some are good and average. Some great, wonderful, interesting and entertaining. Some are less.

A personal guide is best and ideal, especially if you can have pre-tour communications and establish that "connection" for what you need and seek to fit your travel style and personal interests. We love having a "CONVERSATION" with our guide. I like to ask lots of questions. Take many pictures. Those factors make all of the positive difference to enjoy and experience things in the best manner. I like to learn the history, how real life works there, the current events, etc. A personal, custom guide/tour is much better than being "forced marched" through a great museum or place in a group of 25-35 people with a guide barking out details to us as we walk quickly by these great treasures. Also, in a large group, it can be hard to hear and understand everything that is being shared, asked. But, personal tours/guides are not always possible, affordable, needed, etc., for all port stops.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 31,580 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Starting the tour at Ephesus:

EphTourStart.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus was Rome's capital of Asia Minor:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

This is a personal opinion but no matter how well a ship's excursion is done I always prefer a private one. That way I control the agenda, the time and I don't have to sit on a bus with 30 to 40 other people.

Ditto.

While we generally avoid tour altogether, we have done both private tours and Seabourn groups tours depending upon the port. We much prefer private tours in general -- groups tours tend to waste too much time waiting for stragelers and visiting some shop. And I take issue with the comment that there is nothing to see in Navplion -- one of my favorite ports because other ships don't stop there. The Palmidi Palace ruins are well worth the hike up a 1000 or so steps -- just think of all the additional breadsticks you can consume guilt free.

I have done two Seabourn cruises. I found that the excursions were a pretty good way to meet other passengers and to find someone that you might want to share dinner with sometime. The buses are usually full sized motor coaches but only have about 20 people or so on the bus; so the problems inherent in larger groups are minimized.

Thank you for your responses. We have generally gone with private tours when we thought it would cover more territory than the ship tours, for example in St Petersburg this past summer. For example, the ship tour for Epheses and Terrace Houses is only 4 hours and we are in port until 11. The all day tour covers more but includes some religious sites that are not so interesting to me (mostly because I doubt their authenicity-sorry) and may not cover the Terrace Houses which I understand are a must.

Does anyone know if these tours include a Turkish visa or if you don't need one if you are on a cruise? Our original plans had us visiting Istanbul first where we could get a visa for $25 at the airport-now that we are no longer in NY, I am not sure how we can get one easily and economically.

I had responded to your first post under Greece ports of call.

There is so much to do in Navpolion. That is why we went on our own, as the ships tour did not cover it all. See that post for more info.

Good luck and you will love your trip.

Archived