A civilised breakfast?

SeaSickGill

Hi

My next cruise on Azura will be my first without having to consider what others (hubby and daughter) want to do. Is it possible to have a civilised, served breakfast in the dining room, rather than head to the bun fight in the cafe.

We've opted for freedom dining, would this make a difference?

You can have breakfast in the restaurant anytime you want. It is usually open from 8-9:30 or 7:30-9 on port days. It does not matter whether you are Freedom dining or not as this only applies to the evening. The Freedom restaurant is not usually used for breakfast, its usually the others.

The restaurant is also open for lunch and dont miss afternoon tea in the restaurant at 4pm. You dont have to use the self service at all unless you really want to.

Brian

A very good idea & it will make no difference which dining plan you are on, we never make it in time, but one good thing is you don't eat as much, no temptations.

I always eat more if I have breakfast in the restaurant. In the buffet I normally have a bowl of cereal + a slice of toast, but in the restaurant it's very hard to eat so lightly. Indeed, there's no point in having breakfast in the restaurant if that's all I intend to eat.

I always eat more if I have breakfast in the restaurant. In the buffet I normally have a bowl of cereal + a slice of toast, but in the restaurant it's very hard to eat so lightly. Indeed, there's no point in having breakfast in the restaurant if that's all I intend to eat.

Strikes me that you are all apprentice breakfast eaters. Perhaps the real professional will visit.

:)

On Aurora last year, we tried every option for breakfast and enjoyed them all. We found the company at breakfast great in the MDR, but had to queue each time and always felt as though we were expected to finish quickly and leave ASAP. I might be wrong, but it was how we felt each time.

The best breakfast experience we had was on Queen Victoria, again in the MDR, but no queues and no pressure. We always got a window seat and the waiters did asolutely everything, from pulling our chairs out for us, unfolding our napkins and even pouring the milk onto our cereal. They kept coming back with seemingly unlimited supplies of toast, muffins and danish pastries. The food was no better than on Aurora, just the experience.

Really? in the MDR we tend to order something & that's it, but in the buffet I tend to go with good intentions but have say a couple of eggs then maybe some beans, the mushrooms look good, a couple of rashers then some are stuck together so may as well, oh, sausages, hmm- have to try one but which one, ah well have both, oh hash browns too need some spud, toast? better pick some up in case the wife didn't, & a few butters, hmm, where was that fried bread?

Strikes me that you are all apprentice breakfast eaters. Perhaps the real professional will visit.

:)

I expect he's busy eating his third high tea as a prelude to three afternoon teas, followed by busily preparing for three dinners followed by three little somethings. Then I expect he'll go to bed.

It must be quite exhausting.

Sir Martin

Last cruise we tended to have a morning snack (couldn't call it breakfast) on the balcony, couldn't be bothered being disturbed by room service so just popped upstairs & back. I must say that avoiding a big cooked breakfast is one way of avoiding too much wieght gain.

I expect he's busy eating his third high tea as a prelude to three afternoon teas, followed by busily preparing for three dinners followed by three little somethings. Then I expect he'll go to bed.

It must be quite exhausting.

Sir Martin

Wouldn't the three afternoon teas be the prelude to the three high teas?

WD

I tried b'fast in the MDR, didn't like it. I'm not ready to make polite conversation in the morning and we just love to eat our b-fast outside in the fresh air. I've never found breakfast a problem at the buffet. Cereal, toast, coffee, then take your tray outside. Marvellous.

I tried b'fast in the MDR, didn't like it. I'm not ready to make polite conversation in the morning.....

Thinking about it, most of the few times we've found fellow passengers hard to take has indeed been at breakfast time.

I've never found breakfast a problem at the buffet. Cereal, toast, coffee, then take your tray outside. Marvellous.

On Ventura we eat our breakfasts in the buffet but then we like to take our end-of-breakfast cup of tea onto the Terrace seating.

On Aurora last year, we tried every option for breakfast and enjoyed them all. We found the company at breakfast great in the MDR, but had to queue each time and always felt as though we were expected to finish quickly and leave ASAP. I might be wrong, but it was how we felt each time.

Would agree with Border Reiver. I'm not a morning person at all, and hate having to queue for a table. On the odd occasion we go down to the MDR, we tend to leave it till quite late and we always have to wait especially if we ask for a table for 2 which they seem loathe to give out. The other disadvantage for me is having to make conversation with strangers over breakfast when I find it hard to string two words together! I feel sorry for people sitting next to me for breakfast. I hasten to add I'm very sociable after 10:00a.m. Also agree the waiting staff are desperate to get you out so they can set up for the next meal which means it's not as relaxing as it ought to be. Give me the bun fight in the buffet any day! :D

We cant manage breakfast as we are still full from dinner.. but have yogurt and fruit.. then get the munchies at 11..so might have a danish then..

But cabin breakfast is good... or the main resturant they dont mind if you only want fruit etc or just toast dont feel you have to have the full P&O breakfast.

There are healthy options and smoothy of the day which I often have.

Balcony breakfasts for us. Very civilized. I don't want to have to look at all the fattening options in the buffet :(

We tried the MDR one day on Ventura and it was very nice as far as the food is concerned, but sitting with 6 strangers at that time in a morning is not my cup of tea. It was the most strained meal of the whole cruise. Now if they had tables for 2..............

We have had some great breakfasts in the MDR & met some nice people, but we don't really want to be bothered to get there that early. We liked breakfast on Artemis, sitting out the back, too many smokers on Azura in quite a small area for the size of the ship. For me the balcony is ideal but my wife doesn't like the waiter coming in.

We have had some great breakfasts in the MDR & met some nice people, but we don't really want to be bothered to get there that early. We liked breakfast on Artemis, sitting out the back, too many smokers on Azura in quite a small area for the size of the ship. For me the balcony is ideal but my wife doesn't like the waiter coming in.

I always make sure I'm on the balcony when they come, otherwise it would be a dressed/hair done/make up job lol! I leave husband in charge of waiter and tip. Actually, we had the same waiter every day and he asked if we wanted a standing order, which we did, even on disemabarkation day.

I always make sure I'm on the balcony when they come, otherwise it would be a dressed/hair done/make up job lol! I leave husband in charge of waiter and tip. Actually, we had the same waiter every day and he asked if we wanted a standing order, which we did, even on disemabarkation day.

Well done on being up. We're usually still asleep when they arrive - not a good sight - and only slowly wake as we hear them set it all out.

Archived