Bermuda or Falmouth/Labadee?

Tapi

Here's the scenario:

You wish to take a 5 night cruise in april. You've been all over the Caribbean but never to Jamaica or Labadee. You've never been to Bermuda either. The only ships you've been on with Royal Caribbean are the Monarch of the Seas, Empress of the Seas, and Viking Serenade. You've narrowed it down to either:

- Enchantment of the Seas from Baltimore to Bermuda

- Navigator of the Seas from Ft. Lauderdale to Falmouth and Labadee

Looking at a standard ocean view cabin. Difference in price is negligible, Airfare is not a deciding factor.

Based on ship and destination, which would you pick? Thanks for your input! :)

Having been to Bermuda (from Philly) and our Falmouth port was re-routed to another Jamaican port, I'm not sure my opinion will count. But I'll weigh in anyway...everyone said that Jamaica was VERY corrupt and not worth wasting the fuel to even get close to. Very few people got off the ship when we pulled into Jamaica. I was VERY surprised by this! Bermuda is still one of our favorites! Pink sand beaches...need I say more?

My vote: Bermuda!

This is a tough one, as they are both great choices. Bermuda is wonderful, but so is Labadee. Navigator is a nicer ship. Jamaica - either take an organized excursion through RCI or a private tour guide. Whichever you choose, you'll have an awesome time!

Although I absolutely LOVED Bermuda (much more than Jamaica or Labadee, although we of course have never been to Falmouth, just Mo Bay), one thing to consider is that in April the water in Bermuda will still be quite cool, and the air may be as well.

If you mainly want to tour the island, that's not a problem, but if you want to spend time in the water, as we always do, it might be a deciding factor.

I'd take Bermuda over Jamaica (any port) every day of the week. Been to both and really feel that Berumda is far more beautiful...and more than that all the people I interacted with in Bermuda were far nicer than some in Jamaica.

Either way you should have a nice cruise....go and enjoy.

What I like about Bermuda is that the ship stays in port for a good while, in our case it was 4 days (a 7 night cruise), giving you the opportunity to check out the country. It's large enough that there is plenty to do, but small enough to drive (or take a VERY convinient bus) from one side to the other of the country in a few hours.

AACJ wrote: .....in our case it was 4 days (a 7 night cruise), giving you the opportunity to check out the country.....

Which cruise line does a 4 day stay in Bermuda? The most time I'm aware of for a cruise ships spending in Bermuda is 78 hours by HAL's Veendam, just curious.

To the OP, I would go to Bermuda in a heartbeat but I would try to may it a 7 day cruise; to me anyway, a 5 day cruise to Bermuda is not worth it.

SBtS

It was on the Celebrity Horizon back in 2005. It did change ports from St George to Hamilton, two days at each. I would not have been too fond if it was stuck in Kings Wharf though as it's at a completly opposite end of the island from where we wanted to go.

edit: I don't know if it's standard now though either, but I don't see many, if ANY 7 night cruises to Bermuda since then, all the ones I have seen out of Norfolk (where we originally departed from) have been 6 or less nights.

AACJ wrote: .....in our case it was 4 days (a 7 night cruise), giving you the opportunity to check out the country.....

Which cruise line does a 4 day stay in Bermuda? The most time I'm aware of for a cruise ships spending in Bermuda is 78 hours by HAL's Veendam, just curious.

To the OP, I would go to Bermuda in a heartbeat but I would try to may it a 7 day cruise; to me anyway, a 5 day cruise to Bermuda is not worth it.

SBtS

Labadee was lovely, but Falmouth is still not finished, although it may be in April. My Voyager cruise is supposed to the first to go there, so will report in on our return. If we are not diverted. I think I would like to go to Bermuda, as it would be new territory for us.

My two cents: during my one and only time in Jamaica (Ocho Rios) I felt uncomfortable, hassled, put upon, and even in physical danger. in Bermuda, I felt comfortable, relaxed, and had a wonderful time. In Jamaica, the people kept getting in my face, trying to get me to buy stuff. In Bermuda, the people smiled as they walked past, and when I looked confused, stopped to offer assistance. In Jamaica, I was too afraid to eat the food at the vendor stalls, fearing food poisoning. In Bermuda, I didn't hesitate to eat several meals. (The food was good, but EXPENSIVE!)

The best I can say for Jamaica is that it had beautiful scenery. So too did Bermuda, though it's beautiful in a different way. I'm not a beach person, so the water temperature didn't factor into the equation for me. YMMV.

In the future, I would avoid an itinerary that included Jamaica, and if I found myself on such a voyage anyway, would remain on the ship during that stop. I would return to Bermuda -- IN . . . A . . . HEARTBEAT.

Does that answer your question? :)

The water was not quite as warm as I would have liked it, but we did some snorkle excursions and once in the water, we were very comfortable.

Beaches were nice enough to hang out in swimsuits and lay around on the beach for the afternoon. But it was warm enough for shorts all the time too.

Too cold in Bermuda in April. I'd go to Jamaica to be warmer and to be able to swim.

I think Enchantment is such a nice sized ship and the crew is very friendly. I have not been to Bermuda but it is on my bucket list! I have been to Jamaica (Ocho Rios) and if I went back would not get off the ship!

But Labadee is fun but a short day.

Bermuda is a wonderful choice, but Navigator is a nicer ship. Is it possible for you to do the Explorer to Bermuda? In my opinion, that would be the best of both worlds.

We thought about the Explorer from Bayonne, but we have family in the DC area, and we figured that if we sailed from Baltimore we could spend a few days pre cruise with them.

It seems like Bermuda is getting an overwhelming support, and that's what I was leaning towards from the beginning. Now I neeed to sit down with the wife and finalize our plans. Thank you everybody for taking the time to reply :)

Archived