Warning!!! AT&T and cruising

cortneyward

Two weeks ago, to prepare for my cruise, I called AT&T to discuss charges. I told the lady I would be cruising to Mexico and asked the charges. She gave me rates for calls ($2.49 per minute) and texts (.50 each) and told me I could have found that information on the internet. I used the phone for an alarm clock basically since it was locked in the safe on sea days and dead battery while in Mexico. I had turned the wifi off but still had emails and facebook messages coming through, which I did not open. On Friday, sea day, I returned to the room to find a text from AT&T saying my data was suspended to call them. Upon doing so, I spoke with a female who basically told me that I was misinformed as I had a $4000 phone bill. She was very understanding and tried to sign me up for an international data package which would be backdated and cover everything for $120. I wasn't happy about paying that for a service I didn't agree to or use, but it's actually feasible for me to pay that vs $4000. However, once she connected me to international services, I was informed that international packages don't apply to cruise lines. I was told my ONLY option is to wait until my bill comes out and try to work things out then. Yesterday, I called and had my data restored. This morning I had to call again as my service was suspended again. I was unable to even call my voicemail. I will know in about a week the outcome. Hopefully it will be positive as I absolutely cannot pay $4000. Just wanted to warn others of my experience so that no one else will have the same problem

Two weeks ago, to prepare for my cruise, I called AT&T to discuss charges. I told the lady I would be cruising to Mexico and asked the charges. She gave me rates for calls ($2.49 per minute) and texts (.50 each) and told me I could have found that information on the internet. I used the phone for an alarm clock basically since it was locked in the safe on sea days and dead battery while in Mexico. I had turned the wifi off but still had emails and facebook messages coming through, which I did not open. On Friday, sea day, I returned to the room to find a text from AT&T saying my data was suspended to call them. Upon doing so, I spoke with a female who basically told me that I was misinformed as I had a $4000 phone bill. She was very understanding and tried to sign me up for an international data package which would be backdated and cover everything for $120. I wasn't happy about paying that for a service I didn't agree to or use, but it's actually feasible for me to pay that vs $4000. However, once she connected me to international services, I was informed that international packages don't apply to cruise lines. I was told my ONLY option is to wait until my bill comes out and try to work things out then. Yesterday, I called and had my data restored. This morning I had to call again as my service was suspended again. I was unable to even call my voicemail. I will know in about a week the outcome. Hopefully it will be positive as I absolutely cannot pay $4000. Just wanted to warn others of my experience so that no one else will have the same problem

Sounds like it would help to learn how to change the settings on your phone.

I turn off all outside access, the data roaming, cellular data, notifications,

put it in airplane mode, turn wifi off, then turn the phone off.

Basically it is a paper weight in the safe.

I might bring it out to make some notes occasionally, but all the "phone"

functions are off.

Good luck with getting them to help you.

I would be sick...literally, if that happened to me.

It sounds as if you have a smart phone... As a result of all ships having cellular service you are still connected. If you happen to have an iphone turn off data roaming. Or you can do better than that and put your phone in airplane mode. It is disappointing that the rep told you wrong especially considering you called to get clarification. I have heard most people don't have a problem getting those types charges reduced through AT&T.

Good Luck.

Sounds like it would help to learn how to change the settings on your phone.

I turn off all outside access, the data roaming, cellular data, notifications,

put it in airplane mode, turn wifi off, then turn the phone off.

Basically it is a paper weight in the safe.

I might bring it out to make some notes occasionally, but all the "phone"

functions are off.

Good luck with getting them to help you.

I would be sick...literally, if that happened to me.

I was just discussing what to do with our iPhones with my DH for our upcoming cruise. So, I guess we should just turn the phone completely off as soon as we get in our cabins and leave them off? Will turning it off and leaving it off until we get back into Mobile prevent the extra charges? I wanted to be able to use it for an alarm clock, but now I'm afraid to even turn it on.

Ouch! :eek: I believe the rates she gave you for calls ($2.49 per minute) and texts (.50 each) are correct for these activities while on the ship at sea (not in port). But it sounds like she didn't mention anything about data. That seems like where you got burned.

Any data sent to the phone gets charged to your account whether you open the e-mails, texts or not. That is why simply turning off wifi isn't good enough because there is a cell tower ON THE SHIP that sends all cell data to the phone or device that looks for cell service (3g kindle etc). Wifi only covers internet service not cell service.

Turn it off, take out the sim card and lock it away to avoid any unwanted charges. Cellular at Sea is expensive to use but handy if you need it in case of an emergency. Digital alarm clocks are cheap if you need an alarm.

Yes, I have a Blackberry. I have since been told how to turn off the international data but the original lady offered NO help there. I was very sick about it and still nervous. I feel like most people don't end up paying that charge (who can afford to) but until it's over, I doubt I have any peace of mind about it. I'm more worried about the damage it will do to my credit than anything.

Turning off wi-fi does nothing. You need to either keep the phone shut off or put it in Airplane mode.

For all future cruisers, if you thought you put it in Airplane mode but still receive "push" data (Facebook updates, etc....) then you didn't set it correctly!

For this very reason, I keep my iphone turned off for the duration of the cruise and if I need to turn it on, I immediately make sure that it's in airplane mode.

I was just discussing what to do with our iPhones with my DH for our upcoming cruise. So, I guess we should just turn the phone completely off as soon as we get in our cabins and leave them off? Will turning it off and leaving it off until we get back into Mobile prevent the extra charges? I wanted to be able to use it for an alarm clock, but now I'm afraid to even turn it on.

You don't have to. From what I was told, iPhones will work the same way my blackberry did. If you can find the "Mobile Network Options" tab on your phone, it should say "Data Services: While Roaming" and you can turn the feature off. I just didn't know until it was way too late. If you can't find it, give them a call from a land line phone and have them walk you through it.

sorry this happened to you, but this is unfortunately not new information. As others have stated, all functions on your phone need to be OFF. I wasn't sure if I did everything right on my last cruise, so we actually took the batteries out of the phone in the safe. Not worth the risk to me.

Cortney, I am soooo sorry this happened to you!!! We leave on Friday & I just called ATT last night & spoke to 2 different girls about the same thing.

I run the computer system at an elementary school during the day, and I told myself that for 9 whole days I will NOT be using any technology. (then DH said: how am I going to get a hold of you when we split up for excursions???) Blagh!

We have 2 teens with regular texting phones, plus DH & I have iphones... I told the girl I didn't want a million dollar charge when I came back from Mexico. She said she had never seen a million dollar phone bill. ha-ha.

I explained that after or last cruise we got a $1,500 phone bill & I NEVER want to see anything like that again! (that phone bill wasn't from international usage... and was reversed)

So... who out here knows about iphones & what exactly to do on the ship & in Mexico??? I'd love some real info! (because the customer service girls always say something different... and when I went into my local store, they guy said I could only add it over the phone)

I am planning on getting an international plan for our cruise, and leave the kids phones at home that week, so DH & I will be the only ones with our phones... but I still want to use my phone as an iPod without getting another ridiculous phone bill.

Back to OP Cortney: I sure hope you get your bill fixed!!!!!

If you have an iPhone, go in to your network under settings and turn off your cellular data and data roaming. Also go under your mail setting, where it says "fetch new data", turn it off. This way any time your phone tries to connect to the network for internet or to download new data, it will prompt you 1st to change your settings or connect to wifi. Using wifi does not charge your account because you are using another network. By turning all your data roaming off, you can still receive text messages and calls if you so choose. I do this every time I travel abroad.

I just turned off the data and put it in airplane mode and was able to use it as my ipod. I did read on these boards that they are now offering a cruise package (much like international) but I don't remember the details. Texts to receive were free I think and .50 to send. Adn I think the cost was the same as the international plan, about $30.

If you have an iPhone, go in to your network under settings and turn off your cellular data and data roaming. Also go under your mail setting, where it says "fetch new data", turn it off. This way any time your phone tries to connect to the network for internet or to download new data, it will prompt you 1st to change your settings or connect to wifi. Using wifi does not charge your account because you are using another network. By turning all your data roaming off, you can still receive text messages and calls if you so choose. I do this every time I travel abroad.

MindTheGap is exactly right. I have had an iPhone since they came out in 2007 and have cruised at least 4 times with my iPhone. You just need to ensure you turn off all data access to the phone...then it will work like a normal phone if you want to make a call. I would recommend for the kids...leave the phones in the car at the port or at home. Text messages will still go thru and it is not $.50 per text. That charge is from ATT...they forget to metion that Cellular at Sea will also charge a fee to ATT on top of the $.50 they quoted you. Your cell phone will clearly state "Cellular at Sea" so you will be able to tell when you have a cell site in port that you can use. Once again, for the kids, leave them at home unless you want the $1500 phone bill again. That is what we do with our 20 year old DD...we tell her too bad, we pay the bill.

This is not just AT&T, it would be the same with all carriers. It's always best to turn off data roaming when you travel overseas unless you have a very comprehensive international data plan, and as noted even that won't protect you from the high fees charged by Cellular at Sea. I generally put my phone on "airplane mode" when out to sea.

I'm so paranoid of something like this happening. My DH just received his Verizon iphone yesterday (i still have to wait a few days for my contract to end!) and I do not want huge charges...I plan on turning off roaming, putting it in airplane mode, and then turning it off and locking it up to REALLY make sure nothing happens when we are cruising. My dh also has an ipod touch which we will be using as an alarm clock and having all the iphone benefits, without the charges.

Turning off data roaming will prevent the big scary data fees you always hear about.

Putting the phone in "airplane mode" will prevent voice-mails and texts from coming through while on the ship, but still allow other uses like playing music and games or reading books.

There's no need to take extreme measures like removing the battery as someone said up-thread.

Maybe it's a silly question but since I plan to go again next year, I'd like to avoid this again... What is "airplane mode"? I turned off my international data roaming as soon as they told me how but haven't a clue what airplane mode is. I did need to be able to receive texts as my grandmother had some health issues. How would that work for the future?

All you have to do on an iphone to keep from getting push data is go to settings and set your phone to "Airplane" mode. That's all. This prevents data from being "pushed" through to your phone. On our last cruise, I occasionally turned mine on to use ipod functions and to check the time (I forgot to bring a watch, LOL!!) and had no freak charges when I came home.

Archived