Warning!!! AT&T and cruising

cortneyward

There is no need to use Airplane mode or shut off location services (which doesn't use data, except to download maps).

Make sure data roaming is off (the default with iPhones) and you will be fine.

If you count on airplane mode and it turn it on just to send a quick text* or make a call, all that data that has backed up since Airplane mode was turned on will start downloading whether you want it to or not.

*SMS text messages do not use the data band.

Actually on an iPhone what needs to be off is "cellular data". This prevents the phone from receiving ANY data. You can test this by attempting to load a new website and it will pop up a box telling you that data is off and must be turned on.

Some people need to be able to use a phone to call or text while on a ship, simply telling them to use airplane mode is not helpful. If you want to be positive no unintended charges occur turn off push, location services, cellular data, data roaming, and set fetch to "manually". You should be able to now only make calls and send texts. (You can still use your apps now as well!)

Go to Settings > General > Network to find most of these. I believe fetch and push options are under the Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars

When I'm out of the country I do all of the above AND place the phone in airplane mode when I don't need to call or text. I've never had extra charges. Don't be afraid of turning on your iPhone for an alarm or to snap a cool photo! Just educate yourself on the proper settings!

That is not making sense to me :confused:. "Data roaming" off should not effect his ability to access data while on his home network - because that is not roaming. iPhones shipped from Apple arrive with "data roaming" off as the default setting.

Are you sure you didn't mean to say that you need to turn "cellular data" back on?? That might be what stopped him from access once he was home.

It's complicated.

When we are in our home town, the data is on roaming, but it's domestic roaming and therefore included in our unlimited plan (we live in a small town). If you go about 5 miles north of our town (son doesn't have a need to do that very often) then you are no longer on data roaming, we are on ATT's network. We only recently got access to 3G at our house, but apparently we are accessing another carrier's 3G tower, since it is considered data roaming.

Son couldn't figure out why his phone was the only one that wouldn't get 3G, but never complained until recently. I took a peek at his settings and realized I hadn't returned everything back to normal after our trip to Cancun last March.

It's complicated.

When we are in our home town, the data is on roaming, but it's domestic roaming and therefore included in our unlimited plan (we live in a small town). If you go about 5 miles north of our town (son doesn't have a need to do that very often) then you are no longer on data roaming, we are on ATT's network. We only recently got access to 3G at our house, but apparently we are accessing another carrier's 3G tower, since it is considered data roaming.

Son couldn't figure out why his phone was the only one that wouldn't get 3G, but never complained until recently. I took a peek at his settings and realized I hadn't returned everything back to normal after our trip to Cancun last March.

Ahhh...makes sense now! ;)

Two weeks ago, to prepare for my cruise, I called AT&T to discuss charges. I told the lady I would be cruising to Mexico and asked the charges. She gave me rates for calls ($2.49 per minute) and texts (.50 each) and told me I could have found that information on the internet. I used the phone for an alarm clock basically since it was locked in the safe on sea days and dead battery while in Mexico. I had turned the wifi off but still had emails and facebook messages coming through, which I did not open. On Friday, sea day, I returned to the room to find a text from AT&T saying my data was suspended to call them. Upon doing so, I spoke with a female who basically told me that I was misinformed as I had a $4000 phone bill. She was very understanding and tried to sign me up for an international data package which would be backdated and cover everything for $120. I wasn't happy about paying that for a service I didn't agree to or use, but it's actually feasible for me to pay that vs $4000. However, once she connected me to international services, I was informed that international packages don't apply to cruise lines. I was told my ONLY option is to wait until my bill comes out and try to work things out then. Yesterday, I called and had my data restored. This morning I had to call again as my service was suspended again. I was unable to even call my voicemail. I will know in about a week the outcome. Hopefully it will be positive as I absolutely cannot pay $4000. Just wanted to warn others of my experience so that no one else will have the same problem

We used our AT & T phones on last cruise to Mexico and did niot have that problem. Our phone bill was $150 higher when we got back because we did send pic back and called family.

Sound like someone did not give you the right info.

what exactly is airplane mode? I've been sitting here going thru my blackberry torch looking for that setting--is that just an iphone setting.

I did find where to turn off all data.

Thanks for this thread--very helpful..

"airplane" mode isn't on Blackberry.

to turn off Data, you'd want to look at MANAGE CONNECTIONS > MOBILE NETWORK OPTION >

then elect DATA SERVICE = OFF if you want all data turned off. or WHILE ROAMING = OFF if you want to just turn it off while you are roaming.

To turn your PHONE service off, under MANAGER CONNECTIONS uncheck mobile network.

If you need to send a TEXT message (Not BBM), you'd simply need to turn your phone service back on. As previously stated, AT&T charges .50 to send a text message.

While traveling if I'm at a wireless hotspot, I'll turn the wireless feature on and use BBM instead of text messages.

Ahhh...makes sense now! ;)

I have to say . . . he's a very happy kid now that he can have 3G. It was really one of those "duh" moments when we realized that we had both fixed our own phones but not his.

Now when he doesn't do the dishes like he's supposed to, I tell him to do them or else I'll turn his 3G off again. :)

I'm such a meany.

i also think that it is cellular data as well, but on the iphone4 there is this under the data roaming (which is always off on our phones) "turn data roaming off when abroad to avoid substantial roaming charges using email, web browsing and other data services."

You either clearly do not have smartphones, or you're getting a super-crazy loyalty reward for being with ATT so long.:eek:

BeccaBecca,

Smartphone is a misnomer, but we both have iPhones.

Loyalty reward sounds nice, but I'm sure they'd love to trick us into changing our rate plan! With taxes and all fees, my iPhone costs me $25 per month and has unlimited text and data. Each of our sons also have ATT phones and are all on our contracts (we have two contracts; one with just my phone, and one with my wife and three sons together because only one 'smartphone' per account is in our contract somewhere though they don't actually use the term 'smartphone.')

The company name has changed five times since we've been subscribers, but each company honors previous contracts. 'No roaming fees' used to really mean something, and on our plan it still does.

We were just on a cruise in January, and did not have a problem. I put my iPhone in airplane mode while on the ship and used it all the time as an iPod for music and books. When in port, I checked for services, but decided the wireless rates offered were too high. I did find one coffee shop with free internet access, and that was a big plus.

Airplane mode is just a one button on/off and did all that I needed it to do. It turns off all phone and wireless connections.

Just to note -- I have an ATT iPhone. I'm also a lawyer and that phone stays on, with me, everywhere, during my office business hours, regardless of my current time zone, in case of an emergency.

I hadn't been abroad since I got my iPhone and did indeed have a couple of major client emergencies on my last cruise -- I had to make and recieve calls from the ship as well as from land. Additionally, thinking I was being smart, I checked my email on my iPhone rather than buying an expensive internet plan from the cruise line.

I'd previously kept an international plan going on my other ATT phones (not smartphones) that was so cheap I never discarded the plan, ever. I hadn't signed up for one with my iPhone.

When I got the Cellular At Sea bill, it was $700.00 and I nearly had a heart attack. I called ATT who backdated an international package for me that converted the entire bill to $59.99. Only thing was to remember to shut it off the next billing cycle so I didn't get a $59.99 charge I didn't need. Phone, data, email, everything was covered in the package. If there's a chance you may need your phone on a cruise, I'd advise this.

Just to note -- I have an ATT iPhone. I'm also a lawyer and that phone stays on, with me, everywhere, during my office business hours, regardless of my current time zone, in case of an emergency.

I hadn't been abroad since I got my iPhone and did indeed have a couple of major client emergencies on my last cruise -- I had to make and recieve calls from the ship as well as from land. Additionally, thinking I was being smart, I checked my email on my iPhone rather than buying an expensive internet plan from the cruise line.

I'd previously kept an international plan going on my other ATT phones (not smartphones) that was so cheap I never discarded the plan, ever. I hadn't signed up for one with my iPhone.

When I got the Cellular At Sea bill, it was $700.00 and I nearly had a heart attack. I called ATT who backdated an international package for me that converted the entire bill to $59.99. Only thing was to remember to shut it off the next billing cycle so I didn't get a $59.99 charge I didn't need. Phone, data, email, everything was covered in the package. If there's a chance you may need your phone on a cruise, I'd advise this.

Isn't $700 one billable hour for a lawyer? :D

Couldn't resist...sorry...sort of...

I wasn't happy about paying that for a service I didn't agree to or use, but it's actually feasible for me to pay that vs $4000.

The real issue, IMHO, is that you did indeed use the service. In hind sight, you might wish you didn't, but fact remains, you did.

While AT&T (or any other company) would gladly correct a billing mistake, this is not a billing error. Again, you actually used the service for which you are being billed.

This is a common problem with smartphones. People set them up to constantly use data, even when locked in the safe in their cabin, and forget they did. Smartphones are constantly checking for new email, and may times, running apps that use data like constantly checking for weather updates and such. That's all data usage.

BTW, my smartphone tries to be too smart. If I manually disable cellular data, and then an app needs to use data, it will automatically re-enable cellular data for me (like it is doing me a favor). IMHO, the best defence is to TURN OFF your smartphone completely BEFORE locking it into the safe.

The real issue, IMHO, is that you did indeed use the service. In hind sight, you might wish you didn't, but fact remains, you did.

While AT&T (or any other company) would gladly correct a billing mistake, this is not a billing error. Again, you actually used the service for which you are being billed.

Actually, turns out I didn't. After numerous calls yesterday, I finally got a supervisor. I'd previously been informed that I used 209MB of service, which made no sense compared to the 70 or less I generally use for a full month. I actually had one guy tell me I just used my facebook too much (never pulled it up). When I finally reached a supervisor I found that I'd actually used 29MB of service, not 209. That's about $3500 difference. They backdated an international package, since it still was their error for not informing me correctly and I will be paying $59.99.

If your phone is from AT&T or T-Mobile and you go out of the country a lot, you may want to check out getting a $20 SIM card from Mobal.

There's no monthly charge and your phone will work in every country in the world except Japan. When you first arrive in a new country it selects the strongest local network, so you're not stuck with one supplier.

You can arrange to restrict your services ahead of time and there's no playing the "gotcha" game that AT&T is famous for. And if you need to talk to an operator, they all speak English.

When you get back home, you can put your regular SIM card back in the phone and put the Mobal card away until your next trip.

No business relationship, just a happy customer.

Cheers,

3rd&4thT

If your phone is from AT&T or T-Mobile and you go out of the country a lot, you may want to check out getting a $20 SIM card from Mobal.

There's no monthly charge and your phone will work in every country in the world except Japan. When you first arrive in a new country it selects the strongest local network, so you're not stuck with one supplier.

You can arrange to restrict your services ahead of time and there's no playing the "gotcha" game that AT&T is famous for. And if you need to talk to an operator, they all speak English.

When you get back home, you can put your regular SIM card back in the phone and put the Mobal card away until your next trip.

No business relationship, just a happy customer.

Cheers,

3rd&4thT

Good Idea! Don't forget tho that, prior to using a different, non-native US sim, the phone must be unlocked. Virtually 100% of all US phones are locked to the service that sells them.

For European use, it must also have the ability to use the rf frequencies that are used in Europe.

None of this is rocket science, but it is a little more involved than just buying/inserting a new sim card.

Cortney, I am soooo sorry this happened to you!!! We leave on Friday & I just called ATT last night & spoke to 2 different girls about the same thing.

I run the computer system at an elementary school during the day, and I told myself that for 9 whole days I will NOT be using any technology. (then DH said: how am I going to get a hold of you when we split up for excursions???) Blagh!

We have 2 teens with regular texting phones, plus DH & I have iphones... I told the girl I didn't want a million dollar charge when I came back from Mexico. She said she had never seen a million dollar phone bill. ha-ha.

I explained that after or last cruise we got a $1,500 phone bill & I NEVER want to see anything like that again! (that phone bill wasn't from international usage... and was reversed)

So... who out here knows about iphones & what exactly to do on the ship & in Mexico??? I'd love some real info! (because the customer service girls always say something different... and when I went into my local store, they guy said I could only add it over the phone)

I am planning on getting an international plan for our cruise, and leave the kids phones at home that week, so DH & I will be the only ones with our phones... but I still want to use my phone as an iPod without getting another ridiculous phone bill.

Back to OP Cortney: I sure hope you get your bill fixed!!!!!

You can purchase 2 way radios for your whole family to use on cruises and other travels for a lot less than adding features to your cell plan will cost you. I have completed 20+ cruises in the past 10 years and turn my cell phone off when leaving the cruise port and turn it back on when arriving back at the cruise port. If you need a wake up call, use the room telephone. If you need to access the internet, buy a package for access on the ship. If you need to be in contact with your DH so bad that you can't even take separate excursions, then only travel together.

So are you saying that for about $60 bucks, you can use your Iphone just like you would in the states. If that is the case, It would be great for me.

I guess that would depend on how much you use yours. I received 8 emails, sent none, and opened nothing else. The international roaming package that they added onto my regular bill was $60 and covered the 28MB of data I used. But they do have different packages that are significantly less than pay per use. I would look up what you normally use and call to see what package would best suits your needs.

Archived