Dune Buggy Help???

Cruisin Christi

Please, please don't move this...and I know to look on the excursion board as I have been there ALL FREAKIN' DAY..I can't find what I need to know.

This might be long...sorry in advance. Ports of call, Progreso and Cozumel, 5 day western.

I had my whole cruise planned out, well in my mind anyway. I had some excursions thought out(nothing booked)and thought they were great and economic. My sister in law, who booked the same cruise 6 months after us, decided that she wants to go on a dune buggy ride. (gahhhhh)

I spend all morning looking into the dune buggy ride in Progreso...with very little help from the excursion board I decided that was a bad idea. Honestly I didn't get much help, one thread that had one person who went and hated it because the dune buggy broke down in the rain. I didn't want that to happen so I went to Island Marketing for Cozumel.

I absolutely do NOT want to give up Nachi, but being the 'lets all have fun, I can have a blast at anything' type of girl I decided to at least research. So I find the Dune Buggy Adventure on the website and come over here and do a search. I found 2 (thats all) threads where people talk about this excursion. Mostly fabulous things too.

So, Please, please..anyone who has done this recently let me know if the dune buggys are in good shape and if you had a good time. The threads I found were pretty old, 2009 or older I think.

We did the dune buggy excursion in Progresso last year and thought the buggies were fine.. Granted they aren't brand new.. but we also did the dune buggy excursion in Cozumel several years ago and they were in the same shape Id say..

The only gripe we had about the excursion in Progresso, is that we froze our butts off!! the temperatures did not cooperate and it was actually quite chilly when we went.. other than that we had a great time!

afterwards they took us to a resort place that had a beach and a swimming pool and food to eat that wasnt quite bad..

Hope this info helps..

We did the dune buggy excursion in Progresso last year and thought the buggies were fine.. Granted they aren't brand new.. but we also did the dune buggy excursion in Cozumel several years ago and they were in the same shape Id say..

The only gripe we had about the excursion in Progresso, is that we froze our butts off!! the temperatures did not cooperate and it was actually quite chilly when we went.. other than that we had a great time!

afterwards they took us to a resort place that had a beach and a swimming pool and food to eat that wasnt quite bad..

Hope this info helps..

Thanks! Good to know about Progreso. I'd still like to know more about the one in Cozumel. Did you do the one through Island Marketing or through Carnival?

Thanks! Good to know about Progreso. I'd still like to know more about the one in Cozumel. Did you do the one through Island Marketing or through Carnival?

Do be aware its a crime in Mexico to be involved in a accident. We had someone thrown in jail and if we had left on time he would have missed the ship. They said it would cost him $800 to get him out. He was filling up with gas and someone bumped his bumper while he was stopped filling up. He says it was a set up.

Do make sure if you decide to take this chance that you have full insurance locally, (i.e. not your insurance at home) .. as you have to pay in cash to get out of jail.

I saw someone on a moped being instructed last fall who wobbled out into traffic and hit a van... so it happens accidently as well.

Its not the same as in the U.S. if you have a tiny fender bender. You will be hauled off to jail unless you have full local coverage to show them.

Do be aware its a crime in Mexico to be involved in a accident. We had someone thrown in jail and if we had left on time he would have missed the ship. They said it would cost him $800 to get him out. He was filling up with gas and someone bumped his bumper while he was stopped filling up. He says it was a set up.

Do make sure if you decide to take this chance that you have full insurance locally, (i.e. not your insurance at home) .. as you have to pay in cash to get out of jail.

I saw someone on a moped being instructed last fall who wobbled out into traffic and hit a van... so it happens accidently as well.

Its not the same as in the U.S. if you have a tiny fender bender. You will be hauled off to jail unless you have full local coverage to show them.

Great :( Another reason I'd rather sit on the beach and sip a cold beer!

We've done both the dune buggy and Jeep excursions in Cozumel, and they were excellent. I would highly recommend both of them as a way to see part of the island that's often overlooked by tourists, and just to do something different! We did the ship's excursion both times...it just seemed easier to have somebody else take care of everything!:) Here are some pictures from the dune buggies in December...

2821218640064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

2693833790064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

2441630720064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

2321867360064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

We did the dune buggies in October when we in Cozumel with Island Marketing and we had a great time. We had a great spot for snorkeling and toured the whole island and we did a lunch stop on the beach where they made us a terrific lunch and drinks were included with the price. The only drawback was that we did have to take a taxi to the town but other than that it was a great excursion and the tour guide was great.

The taxi thing has me puzzled, I thought they had the dune buggys set up right off the pier or a block or two away? I will have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

The dune buggies outside the pier are from independant people and I belive you just ride them on your own. With Island Marketing you have a guide who shows you the island and snorkels with you and also makes you the lunch and provides all your drinks.

In both cases, we did the one thru Carnival..

I like the Island Marketing price better, and what they offer. What all did you get to do thru Carnival? IM offers snorkeling, lunch and free drinks(including beer)all day long. Oh and for $1 more a head they take you to the tequila factory.

This is what the email said about a taxi ride:

Your trip begins when you climb aboard your Dune Buggy from our office near the Punta Langosta Cruise ship pier. (specific details will be provided with your confirmation letter) If you are arriving at another terminal, (The Maya or International Pier) a very short taxi ride will get you there in minutes.(approximately $5usd for up to 4 people)

I have no idea what pier, I guess I assumed it would be the one my ship ports at. A taxi ride will be just fine.

The dune buggies outside the pier are from independant people and I belive you just ride them on your own. With Island Marketing you have a guide who shows you the island and snorkels with you and also makes you the lunch and provides all your drinks.

The dune buggies right outside the pier are used for the ship's excursion, which is run by Explora Caribe. Our dune buggy tour in December included a stop to see the crocodiles/flamingoes and a Mayan Ruin, guided snorkeling, Mexican lunch, and a stop at the lighthouse. We left from and returned to the pier.

Did the dune buggies in Cozumel with island marketing with wife, 17 year old daughter 9 year old son last June. We were the only dune buggy with our guide Omar and saw 6 hrs of Cozumel. Went snorkeling, to el cedral, tequila tour, lunch on the beach..chicken tortilla, rice, homemade salsa and guacamole. Absolutely best excursion ever! Ask for Omar, he was worth the cost that day!!

Island Marketing Dune Buggies was AWESOME!!! So great I'm doing it again next weekend, the 18th. Can't wait.

You have a blast, buggie is loaded with water, soda and del sol beer and they keep refilling it. Did this with a group of 15 of us and everyone had a blast. Those that didn't go with us were jealous. Kids said the meal was the best mexican meal they had all ever had, and were from AZ.

You won't regret it!

I like the Island Marketing price better, and what they offer. What all did you get to do thru Carnival? IM offers snorkeling, lunch and free drinks(including beer)all day long. Oh and for $1 more a head they take you to the tequila factory.

When we went thru Carnival in Cozumel.. we followed a caravan of sorts of dune buggies for a tour of the island.. I remember we stopped off at a store like place for souvenirs if we were interested.. we stopped at an area and went snorkeling for quite some time.. we also went to a beach and were served a nice mexican meal..

In Progresso it was basically the same type thing.. we followed a caravan of dune buggies for a nice tour.. we went to some ruins and spent a little time there.. we also went to a resort where there was a beach and a pool, etc.. we were also served a nice meal..

Did the dune buggies in Cozumel with island marketing with wife, 17 year old daughter 9 year old son last June. We were the only dune buggy with our guide Omar and saw 6 hrs of Cozumel. Went snorkeling, to el cedral, tequila tour, lunch on the beach..chicken tortilla, rice, homemade salsa and guacamole. Absolutely best excursion ever! Ask for Omar, he was worth the cost that day!!

OH thank you. I have heard good things about Omar...He must have been with that company and tour for a long time.

Archived