TA or NCL?

barb-ottawa

book with a large online reputable agency that is adept at booking cruises.

For our next cruise...I priced thru NCL as well as the online TA we had used in the past...

and while I did want to try it this time directly with the cruiseline...I didn't....

because...the TA was giving OBC's and free wine...and when I asked NCL to match this offer...the newbie on the other end of the line said no....so I said he would lose the booking to the TA ...still said no..very nicely BTW....

So...the moral here.....NCL is paying the online agent a commission....I am getting my 2 OBC's and 2 bottles of wine......I am dealing with a knowledgable online TA from a company that does loads of business with NCL...

and...just last week..right before final payment....I got the price reduced by $200

and for our next cruise in the Med next summer....I am looking at a different line..due to itin and cruise dates...however, if I felt that NCL would deal a little better......I might be putting NCL on the top of that list......

BTW, none of the above has anything to do with cruiseline service..food..entertainment.....it has to do with me getting the best price.....in addition to dealing with a TA who had a better deal.

Perhaps it depends on the cruise. Our cruises are normally to Europe or South America and book up fully. I have never seen the bargains through a TA or groups like vacations to go, etc. I have seen bargains on caribbean crusies, especially in the October-Jan period.

I had an online TA get us in a group to the Med in 2008...5 days before final payment and saved me $1500

btw...I had booked and made a deposit 14 months earliner with the TA...got OBC as well.

Thats some perks..lower prices, OBC's & added items!!

I want to try this instead of through the Cruise Line where I thought I was getting the best price as they didn't have to payout fees to so many people.

To all those booking with TA's are you booking through internet sites or agents in your home towns.

If it is internet how do you end up with the same agent?

[ Web site has drop down menu with names of all agents, and I just select hers, and send my request or ask for a return live phone call as soon as reasonably possible.]

How can you tell if you are getting the best deals?

[ Comparison searching among 3 to 5 other websites like vacationsto go.com etc.]

How far ahead do you usually book?

[ Usually, about a year in advance, as my wife and I are in healthcare and cannot easily do last minute deals.]

Anything else I need to know before I dive in?

[ Compliment your TA with a letter of recommendation if they do something exceptional above and beyond the call of duty.]

As of about 3 months ago, the prices will be identical so unless you are searching for perks that rarely the cruise line can or will match, you can pretty much just work with your NCL rep. This goes for RCI/Celebrity as well. The other lines might have different prices.

Nita

this is correct...but an online TA will still cut their commission a little if need be

but the real reason I like the online TA route is that...even though I am a good negotiator...I am still just one customer booking just 2 cabins....whereas...the online TA from the large reputatble firm is on the phone all day with NCL..we hope anyway:D

I don't mind doing lots of legwork and then relaying it to the TA...it just gives me a legup..so to speak...and we all know that knowledge is power.:)

Thats some perks..lower prices, OBC's & added items!!

I want to try this instead of through the Cruise Line where I thought I was getting the best price as they didn't have to payout fees to so many people.

To all those booking with TA's are you booking through internet sites or agents in your home towns.

How can you tell if you are getting the best deals?

How far ahead do you usually book?

Anything else I need to know before I dive in?

online TA..look around and you will figure out which one to use...sorry I can't mention it here..just use a popular one not an obscure one...and use a credit card and don't pay more than the deposit..and make final payment when due..no sooner...that would be silly...check your credit card immediately to be sure that the cruiseline shows up as the billing party..not the TA

call them...and if you don't like the sound of their voice or you think they are a newbie....hang up..call back..get a different one...this is sound advice

they give you their direct line

I book as far out as possible

I do loads of research before I book..compare prices...everything

I have helped many friends get better deals than they originally got and have been told I should be a TA...no way..there is no money in it:D

Finally...there is no crime in letting the TA know that you are not an idiot..but rather a saavy traveler...ask questions...call as much as you need to...I warn mine that I will be calling with questions...and that I will expect reductions should they come up...as I will be monitoring all this stuff...and will let him know when they come up...

of course...all of this is said very nicely...as this is most certainly a business transaction!!!:D;)

this is correct...but an online TA will still cut their commission a little if need be

but the real reason I like the online TA route is that...even though I am a good negotiator...I am still just one customer booking just 2 cabins....whereas...the online TA from the large reputatble firm is on the phone all day with NCL..we hope anyway:D

I don't mind doing lots of legwork and then relaying it to the TA...it just gives me a legup..so to speak...and we all know that knowledge is power.:)

That's kinda the way I look at it. I do my own homework and tell the TA what I've found, can she equal or beat it? I continue to monitor NCL changes, or if I think of something the TA hasn't asked like a veterans' additional discount. And then last cruise there was additionally a bottle of wine and $75 OBC waiting in the room for us. Every little bit counts. Our TA is out of state, but I deal with the same person always.

The change in policy prohibits them from doing this. If they cut their commission to give you a better price, they could lose their contract with NCL. All they are permitted to do now is offer perks and OBC. So, it is not as good a deal as it used to be, but it is still worth it for that OBC!

Even though I use an "online" TA, I always deal directly with my agent via email and phone. I never actually do the booking myself online. The big name TAs where you have to do it yourself are rarely the best deal. Plus, I love the customer service I get from my TA.

That's kinda the way I look at it. I do my own homework and tell the TA what I've found, can she equal or beat it? I continue to monitor NCL changes, or if I think of something the TA hasn't asked like a veterans' additional discount. And then last cruise there was additionally a bottle of wine and $75 OBC waiting in the room for us. Every little bit counts. Our TA is out of state, but I deal with the same person always.

we are of like minds

The change in policy prohibits them from doing this. If they cut their commission to give you a better price, they could lose their contract with NCL. All they are permitted to do now is offer perks and OBC. So, it is not as good a deal as it used to be, but it is still worth it for that OBC!

yep...and when NCL and the online agent were offerring me the same price...and NCL wouldn't give me an OBC....I went to the online agent of course....no brainer...

I have a question for you though that you may be able to answer....if they aren't cutting commissions any longer..I knew that btw....how are they getting the OBC to the customer?

I don't see the bottle of wine as a real big deal...but it is an extremely pleasant gesture.

I just booked a 7 day in Jun 2012 NYC Florida & Bahamas on the Gem for an OS. My TA saved me $1000 off the NCL listed price and $300 OBC and included VIP Trip Insurance. In all I saved $1300 from NCL's asking price with insurance included. Booking my own air so no advice there.

You did get a good deal......but don't compare it to the "asking price" as that is really not a price that anyone pays anyway...

I think I know which agent you are talking about..and those rack rates are quite high....

I would be interested in this fact...Did you get a quote from NCL? Was it at the rack rate or was it closer to the rate you TA quoted? I would think the latter is true..but could be wrong

However....you snagged a great OBC!!!!! That is what it is all about..you know!!!

Remember this as well.....let that online TA know that you are going to be monitoring the price...and full expect to get and reductions...I am doing the Jewel in April 2011..booked a year in advance...for a low price...which has only gone down once since booking...but of course I monitored it daily and as soon as I saw the reduction...I called and emailed...no problem $200 saved!!:D

The price has since gone back up....but now they are reducing the Gem which leaves the day before....if I had booked the Gem for the day before...I would be emailing him now instead of posting here...and would be hoping to save an additional $400!!!

online TA..look around and you will figure out which one to use...sorry I can't mention it here..just use a popular one not an obscure one...and use a credit card and don't pay more than the deposit..and make final payment when due..no sooner...that would be silly...check your credit card immediately to be sure that the cruiseline shows up as the billing party..not the TA

call them...and if you don't like the sound of their voice or you think they are a newbie....hang up..call back..get a different one...this is sound advice

they give you their direct line

I book as far out as possible

I do loads of research before I book..compare prices...everything

I have helped many friends get better deals than they originally got and have been told I should be a TA...no way..there is no money in it:D

Finally...there is no crime in letting the TA know that you are not an idiot..but rather a saavy traveler...ask questions...call as much as you need to...I warn mine that I will be calling with questions...and that I will expect reductions should they come up...as I will be monitoring all this stuff...and will let him know when they come up...

of course...all of this is said very nicely...as this is most certainly a business transaction!!!:D;)

Crusin6,

When you go through a TA do you get to pick your cabin?

When I tried to compare a TA with NCL once, the TA only had cabins that were partially obstructed.

Also, I booked with a website once that went bankrupt and I lost by hotel booking. I suppose that is always a risk. The company was connected to a large UK Travel Agency that left people stranded in places like the Bangkok airport.

yep...and when NCL and the online agent were offerring me the same price...and NCL wouldn't give me an OBC....I went to the online agent of course....no brainer...

I have a question for you though that you may be able to answer....if they aren't cutting commissions any longer..I knew that btw....how are they getting the OBC to the customer?

I don't see the bottle of wine as a real big deal...but it is an extremely pleasant gesture.

The OBC is coming out of their profits - which is the same as saying out of their commissions. I just wanted to point out for those that don't know that they cannot use it to cut the price anymore. They used to be able to give huge discounts and now they are very limited - even in the amount of OBC they can offer.

You did get a good deal......but don't compare it to the "asking price" as that is really not a price that anyone pays anyway...

I think I know which agent you are talking about..and those rack rates are quite high....

I would be interested in this fact...Did you get a quote from NCL? Was it at the rack rate or was it closer to the rate you TA quoted? I would think the latter is true..but could be wrong

However....you snagged a great OBC!!!!! That is what it is all about..you know!!!

Remember this as well.....let that online TA know that you are going to be monitoring the price...and full expect to get and reductions...I am doing the Jewel in April 2011..booked a year in advance...for a low price...which has only gone down once since booking...but of course I monitored it daily and as soon as I saw the reduction...I called and emailed...no problem $200 saved!!:D

The price has since gone back up....but now they are reducing the Gem which leaves the day before....if I had booked the Gem for the day before...I would be emailing him now instead of posting here...and would be hoping to save an additional $400!!!

It has been a week or so now since I booked the Gem, so the excitement has worn off a bit, and I will give you my honest opinion about the discounts here:

I work for a major media company, and they have a travel perks program. This eventually led me to the TA in NY, although someone at work originally told me about it. In no way am I a big wig of any kind, I manage data centers for them, VERY behind the scenes. It probably isn't a fair comparison to most TA's, but I am really not sure. All I know is I have been researching the web prices with other TA's and the NCL site, NOT speaking to a PCC at all there, just off the web. I should also state that I did have a local Travel Agent I worked with who couldn't touch the rates either. I have not found anyone who can come close to the discounts I got through this TA. They also invited me to refer friends and family to receive the same rates for their future travel (of course, don't they all :) ), so I am still not sure how exclusive their program is. These cruises wil be my first with NCL, so I don't have a history with NCL to comapre it to.

In addition to the OBC, I also get a 3% Travel Reward in the form of a check two weeks after the vacation ends. Between the Alaska Cruise and the Bahamas cruise, this is almost an additional $300.

What I am doing though is holding off final payment to the last minute so if a better pricing structure does become available, I have the choice to realize the savings.

All said and done I may just be prey to creative TA marketing techniques, but I feel happy about it, so that's what matters right? :D

It has been a week or so now since I booked the Gem, so the excitement has worn off a bit, and I will give you my honest opinion about the discounts here:

I work for a major media company, and they have a travel perks program. This eventually led me to the TA in NY, although someone at work originally told me about it. In no way am I a big wig of any kind, I manage data centers for them, VERY behind the scenes. It probably isn't a fair comparison to most TA's, but I am really not sure. All I know is I have been researching the web prices with other TA's and the NCL site, NOT speaking to a PCC at all there, just off the web. I should also state that I did have a local Travel Agent I worked with who couldn't touch the rates either. I have not found anyone who can come close to the discounts I got through this TA. They also invited me to refer friends and family to receive the same rates for their future travel (of course, don't they all :) ), so I am still not sure how exclusive their program is. These cruises wil be my first with NCL, so I don't have a history with NCL to comapre it to.

In addition to the OBC, I also get a 3% Travel Reward in the form of a check two weeks after the vacation ends. Between the Alaska Cruise and the Bahamas cruise, this is almost an additional $300.

What I am doing though is holding off final payment to the last minute so if a better pricing structure does become available, I have the choice to realize the savings.

All said and done I may just be prey to creative TA marketing techniques, but I feel happy about it, so that's what matters right? :D

no no ..no prey...you got an excellent deal....and although I didn't use a card with travel rewards or even think about it, nor did my TA offer it...I am still getting a couple of % back from my Mastercard points anyway...about $50.

Waiting until the last second to make final payment is very very wise, btw.

This too will be our first NCL cruise and we are thrilled as the port is 30 minutes from home and the price we got was excellent....

we have cruised frequently as a family and I have done lots of cruises back in my other life..before DH and DD's:)

Enjoy your cruise...and I do hope you are adding on days in NYC pre or post cruise.

Even though we live so close we never tire of the great stuff NYC has to off...next week we are doing Million Dollar Quartet on broadway..half price orchestra seats of course;)..and the Museum of Modern Art..kids 16 and under are free (it is a pricey museum, btw)...can't wait to spend the day in the city with 3 of my 4 dd's...we have learned not to push DH to walk around the city too much so he is staying home.....but..in a few months when we go to see the Jersey Boys (2nd time for me) as a family he will be with us.....BTW...that is the BEST play to see on broadway...don't even think twice about it....

[quote name='Crusin6']no no ..no prey...you got an excellent deal....and although I didn't use a card with travel rewards or even think about it, nor did my TA offer it...I am still getting a couple of % back from my Mastercard points anyway...about $50.

Waiting until the last second to make final payment is very very wise, btw.

This too will be our first NCL cruise and we are thrilled as the port is 30 minutes from home and the price we got was excellent....

we have cruised frequently as a family and I have done lots of cruises back in my other life..before DH and DD's:)

Enjoy your cruise...and I do hope you are adding on days in NYC pre or post cruise.

Even though we live so close we never tire of the great stuff NYC has to off...next week we are doing Million Dollar Quartet on broadway..half price orchestra seats of course;)..and the Museum of Modern Art..kids 16 and under are free (it is a pricey museum, btw)...can't wait to spend the day in the city with 3 of my 4 dd's...we have learned not to push DH to walk around the city too much so he is staying home.....but..in a few months when we go to see the Jersey Boys (2nd time for me) as a family he will be with us.....BTW...that is the BEST play to see on broadway...don't even think twice about it....[/quote]

Thanks Cruisin6, I hope you have a great cruise as well. And yes we will be spending extra time in NYC for sure. I am taking my family to Alaska, but the Bahamas are for DW and I! I will post reviews of my cruises when we get back.

Archived