Cabo day use resort???

cruisinthemed

We did The Splendor in March, 2010....in Cabo we ended up at Medano Beach....walked down the beach to Billygan's and a guy who identified himself as the owner's son got our party of 8 chairs/lounges/a table..all like 15 feet from the water!! We had drinks, food (even a few shots if I recall) and spent about $200 for the day including tip!! It was great and we will be heading back there in September 2011 when we do The Splendor again!!

You can hop a water taxi from the pier when the tender drops you off for just a few bucks per person and u are on the beach in 15 minutes!!

LPC

• 4 weeks later...
It's the ME (by Melia) Cabo Resort...see their website below. We were there in January and it was awesome. Adults only. Swim up bar. Loved it!

http://www.me-cabo.com/

the place looks awesome - didn't think it possible, but found a place that actually makes the spa prices on the cruise ship seem reasonable :eek:

Silly question, but how do you do it? Do you walk right through the main lobby and then out to the back? Order drinks and food from the waiter and pay him/her? No issues??? I am very interested in this. Paying the $95 per person that Carnival has arrraged is a bit much.

Is Finestar an option? Easy to get to and easy to use? There are 6 in my party, my parents, my husband and myself, two teenage sons.

PLEASE HELP ME !

Silly question, but how do you do it? Do you walk right through the main lobby and then out to the back? Order drinks and food from the waiter and pay him/her? No issues??? I am very interested in this. Paying the $95 per person that Carnival has arrraged is a bit much.

Is Finestar an option? Easy to get to and easy to use? There are 6 in my party, my parents, my husband and myself, two teenage sons.

PLEASE HELP ME !

I agreed..$ 95 through Carnival is too much. I tried to call Finesterria (spelling) but no one answer through the 800's they provided on the website.

This thread is hard for me to figure out, so please, cut me a bit of slack.

On our Mexican Riviera cruise last March (2010), we spent 2 days at sea. For those two days, we were afforded swimming pools, spas, hot tubs, and excellent service.

Now, (and this coming from someone that has spent his entire life living within an hour's drive from the beach)...when we arrived in Cabo we were allowed 7 hours! After two days at sea, eating "buffet" food, and drinking very expensive beer, the last thing in my mind was to find an AI resort in order to eat more "buffet" food and drink more "expensive beer".

Cabo has many GREAT restaurants, serving wonderful food, as well as very cheap beer and mixed drinks! Wander about town, shop, find great prices, great food, and very cold, very cheap beer! Take a $10 glass bottom boat tour of the Arch, shop, drink, eat, wander about and enjoy the unique atmosphere of Cabo San Lucas.

Lay out in the sun at a resort, and pay $6 for a beer? Nah....not for me.

Now, if it is just the beach that you want.....that is a different story, ignore me.

This thread is hard for me to figure out, so please, cut me a bit of slack.

On our Mexican Riviera cruise last March (2010), we spent 2 days at sea. For those two days, we were afforded swimming pools, spas, hot tubs, and excellent service.

Now, (and this coming from someone that has spent his entire life living within an hour's drive from the beach)...when we arrived in Cabo we were allowed 7 hours! After two days at sea, eating "buffet" food, and drinking very expensive beer, the last thing in my mind was to find an AI resort in order to eat more "buffet" food and drink more "expensive beer".

Cabo has many GREAT restaurants, serving wonderful food, as well as very cheap beer and mixed drinks! Wander about town, shop, find great prices, great food, and very cold, very cheap beer! Take a $10 glass bottom boat tour of the Arch, shop, drink, eat, wander about and enjoy the unique atmosphere of Cabo San Lucas.

Lay out in the sun at a resort, and pay $6 for a beer? Nah....not for me.

Now, if it is just the beach that you want.....that is a different story, ignore me.

hahahahha...I know what you mean, but I have two kids and they hated salted water pool..plus the pool on the ship, you can't swim, just stand and soak because it is too small to swim in.

Lover Beach, Pelican Beach...great beaches...but it is hard getting on the boat afterward. Medano Beach...way too crowded.

But no worry...we are not booking AI, we have decided to book a snorkeling trip to Santa Maria instead.

Villa del Palmar, an all inclusive resort, looks like it has a nice pool, a water slide and beach access-great for kids. Does anyone have any experience with this place? or know if you can just show up pay for food and use their facilities? Disney wants to charge our family of 4 $260 for the excursion!!

Thanks!

Villa del Palmar, an all inclusive resort, looks like it has a nice pool, a water slide and beach access-great for kids. Does anyone have any experience with this place? or know if you can just show up pay for food and use their facilities? Disney wants to charge our family of 4 $260 for the excursion!!

Thanks!

That one isn't an all inclusive resort- it is a timeshare property that offers it's guest a very limited AI option. Since they are a timeshare property they may not allow people who are not staying there to use the pools but you can ask! You can always go have lunch there and see how busy it. When resorts are full, they are less likely to have outsiders take up pool chairs.

• 5 weeks later...
That one isn't an all inclusive resort- it is a timeshare property that offers it's guest a very limited AI option. Since they are a timeshare property they may not allow people who are not staying there to use the pools but you can ask! You can always go have lunch there and see how busy it. When resorts are full, they are less likely to have outsiders take up pool chairs.

I sent an email late last night and rec'd the following this morning,

50.00 usd per day from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm depends on your decision you can sign up for the package at front desk. And that package it is just for Villa del Palmar. Include all Mexican beverage (water, soda, tequila, margaritas) and milks (breakfast and lunch)

•Children are under 12 year old until 3 half price, less than 2 years old free.

In Dec. 2006...the ME (Melia) was the Princess cruise's resort getaway destination. We loved it. Now people are posting that it is an adults only resort. I don't believe that this is true according to a friend at Earth, Sky and Sea Vacations in Cabo. She says it's free to hang out, eat and drink. The cabana beds are extra, but regular lounge chair- no charge. We plan to check it out the first week of August. Would love to go back...with our 2 teenage boys.

In Dec. 2006...the ME (Melia) was the Princess cruise's resort getaway destination. We loved it. Now people are posting that it is an adults only resort. I don't believe that this is true according to a friend at Earth, Sky and Sea Vacations in Cabo. She says it's free to hang out, eat and drink. The cabana beds are extra, but regular lounge chair- no charge. We plan to check it out the first week of August. Would love to go back...with our 2 teenage boys.

It is not an "adults only" resort but it is very "adult oriented". Blaring techo music, body shots, wet t shirt contests and worse. If you are comfortable with your kids in that kind of enviornment, no one is going to stop you from going there. They do charge a fee depending on how busy they are with paying guests. If it is very quiet they may not charge it but I have seen anywhere from $50-$100/pp as the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited the ME resort after walking along Medano beach and eating lunch. We stopped by ME resort on the first day in port and they told us to come up and enjoy the pool, but we decided to head back and instead came back the following day. The pool area was fairly deserted, but they set up towels and 2 shaded daybeds for us right near the pool with no charge. Very easy and no reason to go though the front desk, walked right up from the beach and gave a nice break from the sun. Again YMMV for peak season but summer I don't think you should have any problems. Did same thing at Tropicana in PV ($13/person for day access to pool area, but came with $10/person food credit)

Anyone have advice for a family with very young children, 2,4, and 5, parents and grandparents.

We would love a nice beach where the kids can play in the calm water, no swimming, just play in the shallows. We are not interested in a party scene or being hassled by beach vendors.

Will be in Cabo mid October on Carnival.

Having a bathroom nearby and a restaurant would be high on the list as well.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone have advice for a family with very young children, 2,4, and 5, parents and grandparents.

We would love a nice beach where the kids can play in the calm water, no swimming, just play in the shallows. We are not interested in a party scene or being hassled by beach vendors.

Will be in Cabo mid October on Carnival.

Having a bathroom nearby and a restaurant would be high on the list as well.

Thanks in advance.

The only beach in Cabo where you can go in the water is Medano which is the main beach lined with beach bars and restaurants. You are going to want to go to the far end to be away from the wild and crazy places. Sand Bar, Medano Beach Club and Tabascos are all fine with kids.

That said, even the water and waves at Medano are not always safe. It varies day by day and there is also a steep drop off in the water.

HouseHunter,

The Medano Beach Club looks great. Would you suggest a water taxi or a land taxi to get from the marina to the Club? Should we expect any fees above and beyond food/drinks/tips?

Have you been next door to the ME resort?

Thanks!

I have been to the ME but it is very, very adult oriented (very south beach, bikini and heels, wet t shirt, body shots kind of place).

You can take a water taxi ($3/pp) or a regular taxi ($10 total) to Medano Beach. No fees to use the lounge chairs and umbrellas and the food is good there too!

I have been to the ME but it is very, very adult oriented (very south beach, bikini and heels, wet t shirt, body shots kind of place).

You can take a water taxi ($3/pp) or a regular taxi ($10 total) to Medano Beach. No fees to use the lounge chairs and umbrellas and the food is good there too!

Been there several times and NEVER seen any of this.. Going back next month~ Have never hesitated to take the kids~

Been there several times and NEVER seen any of this.. Going back next month~ Have never hesitated to take the kids~

Here is a link to many, many reviews of the ME

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g152515-d154394-Reviews-ME_Cabo-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

Not sure how you could have missed all that but maybe you happened upon a slow day.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the ME and the Medano Beach Club are next to each other. So if one was not to a groups liking, thy could simply just walk next door...

I figured we would be there mid week, mid-day, so the party atmosphere would not be full tilt yet...

A few of water taxi questions:

1) Once you get off the ship's tender, are the water taxis in the vicinity of the dock/pier the tender drops you off at?

2) With the rush of folks getting off the tenders, is it hard to get a water taxi?

3) Does the water taxi drop you off on the beach, or is there a dock? If the beach is the disembarkation point, would this be an issue with small children / grandparents?

4) Last question ... how do you summon the water taxi to pick you up and return to the tender dock/pier?

Thanks! :)

It looks like the ME and the Medano Beach Club are next to each other. So if one was not to a groups liking, thy could simply just walk next door...

I figured we would be there mid week, mid-day, so the party atmosphere would not be full tilt yet...

A few of water taxi questions:

1) Once you get off the ship's tender, are the water taxis in the vicinity of the dock/pier the tender drops you off at?

2) With the rush of folks getting off the tenders, is it hard to get a water taxi?

3) Does the water taxi drop you off on the beach, or is there a dock? If the beach is the disembarkation point, would this be an issue with small children / grandparents?

4) Last question ... how do you summon the water taxi to pick you up and return to the tender dock/pier?

Thanks! :)

As soon as you exit the tender pier, there will be lots of boat captains asking if you want a water taxi- lots! Make sure to negociate the price before you get in the boat. It should cost about $3/pp if you want to go straight there, about $10/pp if you want a tour of the area first.

You do have to get off the boat and then back on at Medano beach in about a foot of water. This can be tricky if you have any mobility issues and you will get wet. There is also the option of just taking a regular taxi which should cost $10 total for up to 4 people. There will also be taxi drivers standing at the exit of the tender pier.

If you do take a water taxi, they will be lined up at the beach waiting to take people back to the marina. You would just wave one over, wade out into the water and climb back on. There will be people in the water waiting to "assist" you getting on and off the boat. These people will be expecting a tip if you allow them to help you.

Archived