Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Okay - you've convinced me!! I will buy Downy spray wrinkle release and try it at home. If it works for me like it does for plank and sharkie90278 - I'll buy stock in the company:)!!

I got a great tip, I think from these boards:) to make your own and save yourself the $5-6 for the Downy spray. Take a new dry sheet, shove it in a spray bottle (I'm using the empty Downy bottle) and fill with water. Easy and best of all CHEAP! I was skeptical as I am a big fan and haven't ironed in years, but it works just as well.

Indiana, I have had so much fun going through all these wonderful posts about cruising fashion. The pics are great. I have truly been inspired to get started and be more organized. I made a copy of your Pre-cruise list. I have cruised many times but I am always learning:) We are on the same cruise! Peggy

Yet again I have changed a couple outfits:eek:. After dropping off a Goodwill donation, I thought "Why not do a quick check??"...and found 2 pairs of shorts with tags still attached - both Bandolino, one is a solid orangey-corally color, the other blue & white print.

...So the shorts and top laid out for Bermuda First Day went back to the closet since the print shorts are the color of the Caribbean:cool:. Then I took out the black shorts outfit (that will be more appropriate for the club at the lake) and switched in the solid color shorts matched with a bright print top.

Editing outfits is much like writing a book I would think. Start with a good plot and characters - but as the writing progresses, other ideas come to mind.

It's always about striving for the best:cool:.

I'm hoping to pick up my alterations tomorrow. If the Ralph Lauren dress looks good shorter (my fingers are crossed!), I'll post a photo.

plank: So good to see you here! I'm really looking forward to meeting you in 28 DAYS:) Thanks for the nice comments!

Since we will be in Newport on July 4, I want to wear patriotic colors without looking clownish. My earrings are hearts with a little flag motif (again, not clownish) that I ordered from etsy. They're handmade and I'm very pleased with them.

Here's my red, white & blue:

232323232%7Ffp%3B99%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3553977%3A75335nu0mrj

In Boston, we're doing a tour on an amphibious vehicle called "The Duck" and will be dropped off at Fanueil Hall in time for lunch. I toned down the tropical colors but will still look summery in brown Batik shorts and a brown knit top.

232323232%7Ffp%3B72%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3553978573335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71

Hi Indiana,

I've enjoyed watching your fashion show and think you have nice taste and a lovely figure!

We live in Boston (though spend the 4th on Cape Cod) and I think your outfit for Newport is perfect for the celebration and your batik shorts are great for Boston. Just wanted to warn you that Boston, even in the summertime, can be quite cool thanks to sea breezes. So if it is at all overcast or seems a bit cool when you are leaving the boat, please do take at least a sweater and maybe change into capris if it's that cool. Two summers ago, July 5th was the hottest day of the year so my advice could be off base as well!

The Duck tours are a kick, if not always historically accurate, and a great way to see Boston. What are your plans for that day? Let me know if I can be helpful at all.

I bought a red and white striped t shirt for Cape Cod not sure of bottoms yet. Will check for blue capris I guess. We are doing a tour first and walking about after going into the Breakers mansion. In Boston we are doing our own walking tour perhaps The Freedom Trail.

Picked out dining outfits now to do daily ones:)

I bought a red and white striped t shirt for Cape Cod not sure of bottoms yet. Will check for blue capris I guess. We are doing a tour first and walking about after going into the Breakers mansion. In Boston we are doing our own walking tour perhaps The Freedom Trail.

Picked out dining outfits now to do daily ones:)

What cruise are you and Lois on? Newport, somewhere on Cape Cod and Boston? Where do you dock on the Cape???? Just curious.

lovestx: Thanks for the weather advice for Boston :) I will have a sweater ready and also Capris for a backup. With a morning excursion, it's probably prudent to have a cover-up.

The only time I vary from my spreadsheet outfits is when it's cooler than anticipated. A pair of long pants and Capris will find their way into the suitcase for just such an occasion.

Tomorrow is hair color day. Seems to me that just about every female has hair that is not the natural color. For many years I colored my own using whatever brand was on sale.

Matching the natural brown was easy...until the gray started to show sooner and sooner.

The last couple years, I'm more blonde than brunette - and get highlights every other appointment. Now that it's lighter, the gray roots aren't as prominent and trips to the hair dresser are every six weeks.

After retirement, to save $$, I went back to the do-it-yourself box...but that's not my area of expertise and the outcome was NOT worth the savings:eek:.

QUESTION: Do you color your hair - yourself or by a professional - all over or just highlights?

I used to have my hair colored and/or do it myself. It was dark brown, close to my natural color. But, I couldn't get to the salon as often as I should and the perms I was getting along with the color were not good for my fine thin hair. So, I stopped with the perms. About 2 years ago I decided to go natural. I am now fully white haired, and I love it. In some ways I feel I look younger than when I was coloring my hair. I never was a blonde, so the dark hair was harsh against my skin, and the white seems to soften my look.

Not going to Cape Cod.

On color- I have always had it done til retirement -now doing it myself and I like it! I have had the problem of beach weather bleaching it out - from brown back to reddish blonde-Ugh!

Girl who cut my hair today said to use a spray bottle of conditioner and water when in the sun to make color last-we shall see:)

I used to henna my hair, then went to professional gave my hair a rest for a couple years. Now I'm back to a box I use Loreal Paris Sublime Mousse . Its so easy to use. and it covers them greys just fine. Although I'm enjoying my Lily Munster look on one side:D

My natural hair color is very dark brown. Over the last few years I have noticed a few stark white hairs among the dark. I started getting highlights to make them not so noticeable. A few months ago I let it go natural to see how many white ones there were - too many, but not enought to look good (I think when there are a few more I will have a nice salt & Pepper effect that I will like). So it's highlights again - I get mine done professionally - I have been going to the same stylist for over ten years.

When I posed the question RE hair color, I thought some women might not want to reveal (remember the commercial "Only her hair dresser knows for sure"?), but those of us who choose to color our hair and have no qualms about saying so seem to be plentiful:).

Whether it's a professional stylist or DIY, we believe it improves our appearance and as fashionistas, that's a good thing!

luvscruising2007: Good for you! I envy ladies who have beautiful white hair. My mother dyed hers (herself) as long as I could remember...until she became ill and gradually that gorgeous white became apparent and she looked better than ever, too!

I've never "colored" my hair. I do get highlights and have on occasion gotten low-lights as well. As I child I was a towhead and my hair darkened as I aged. It wasn't until my hair was noticeably darker than my children's hair that I started to get highlights. So I guess I've been highlighting my hair 2-4 times a year for almost 12 years. Right now I have blonde highlights - I guess they just bleach the hair, with some strawberry blonde low-lights (or maybe those are highlights as well). My natural hair is a dark blonde - way darker than I can stand! I know I am overdue for highlights, but I am scheduled for July.

I think I have a few grey hairs; found my first one 4 years ago. Sometimes at red lights, I look for them to see if I can find any. It's mostly inconclusive.

I'd love to have the courage to dye my hair red at home, but even though I've purchased the dye before, I chicken out.

I have highlighted my kids' hair, all kinds of crazy bright colors when they went through that phase, but I don't mess around with mine.

MorganiCat: If my complexion was even a little bit compatible to have red hair - I'd be there! Go for it because you can always recolor.

After my coloring and highlights yesterday, my hair is a couple shades darker than it has been (more brown than blonde). My hairdresser assured me that she used the same formula. At first I wasn't sure it would work...but now it's growing on me. My complexion looks rosier.

But can she match it next time??? 6 weeks will tell...

I am going dark! Liked it last time so let's see if I go a shade darker I will like it!!!

Indiana - Went by Goodwill and now I have to rethink my choices-such cute stuff this time!!!

plank: I love that you have discovered Goodwill.

For those of you who haven't ventured in to any kind of second-hand shop, there aren't always great items, but when you take the time to go through the racks, it's lots of fun and very satisfying to find a gem at a great price! Thrift stores and consignment shops are great places to supplement your basic wardrobe.

Just when the outfits are down to "This is it. I'm ready to pack.", something calls your name and would be perfect for The Next Cruise:cool:.

I have been dying my hair consistently for about 8 years. I found grays so I used to just dye it to match my natural, regular brown hair color. The past few years I've gone dark with pops of reddish highlights. I go about every 7 weeks. It is expensive but I found myself having to do it more often when I used the box. I leave it to the professional now!