Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Late to the thread but thoroughly enjoying it! Regarding mixed formality couples - I say who cares what anybody thinks! As long as you two are having a good time and enjoying each other's company, do what is best for YOU! I , who travel solo most of the time, love seeing couples having a good time together!

Regarding outfits....I bring my favorite pieces that all happen to coordinate because Im a woman of few colors and will put on what strikes my mood of the evening. I typically do not wear a cocktail dress but have a very dressy couple of tops that go with black slacks, capris or skirt depending on what I feel like wearing that night :)

soozels - go for it! Don't let levels of formality interfere with what you enjoy wearing. Not often we ladies get a chance to really dress up anymore! I don't think there are the same "rules" as there used to be. And who care if others "notice". Bet many will have gone through the exact same dilemma! But if you are his personal shopper it sounds as if you could make some "compromising" choices for him!

Now we are retired my DH is balking at having to wear clothes for formal evenings. He's embracing his new found casual clothes! So no more tuxes! But has bowed to my request to wear his dark suit for formal nights. You know - happy wife happy life!;)

It appears that we are in agreement RE different levels of formality. We CCFs can dress up as much as we want to, and if DH prefers more casual attire - it's okay:).

I have found that by not pressuring DH, he has actually paid more attention to choosing casual dinner clothes. He doesn't mind dressing for formal nights. If we fly to the port, he rents a tux from RCI (to save luggage space), if we drive he takes a sport coat, dress pants, dress shirt and tie. He even has a couple pocket squares that match ties!

Today I had an eye doctor appt and my eyes are healthy...but my lens perscription has changed. Since I have 5 pairs of glasses, that's a lot of lenses:cool:!

Mine won't either. He will wear white, black, gray, and blue :) But he will wear a shirt/tie when I ask him to a couple of nights on each cruise.

Haha I know about the white, black, gray, blue and beige syndrome. However, I am pleased to say that in the past couple of years my husband has branched out - Tommy Bahama shirts colour on colour - they are tropical shirts but the prints are simply colour on colour (or color on color in American language - we use the British spelling in Canada). You can just see the pattern vaguely. He has actually added green and gold to his wardrobe but only in those type of shirts!! And on smart casual nights if I dress up - one of those shirts with a pair of khakis and we're set to go. No more polo shirts for dinner!! He does wear a dark suit on formal night. He has come a long way. ..but it taken a long time :)

Edited by Cancun01

Cancun01: There must be something manly about the Tommy Bahama tropical shirtsicon14.gif. My DH really likes his, too. And I'm proud to say that he has been adding more color to his cruise clothes:cool:.

Maybe that's the way to ease the guys into adapting to a "tropical state of mind"...

We CCF's have it figured out: in order to fully embrace the Caribbean Cruising Experience, a change in clothing style is a part of it.

Can I get some non cruising advice? I am going to be wearing this wedding dress on my wedding http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=A3531LU and I just ordered these shoes: http://www.zappos.com/j-renee-accent-white-satin

Anyone think it will be overkill? I got the shoes on sale, and I really don't want to wear high heels all day, I prefer a more sensible shoe so I won't trip down the aisle. I wasn't sure about the big flower on the shoe with all the ruffles on the dress. Then again, I doubt anyone will even see them.

Can I get some non cruising advice? I am going to be wearing this wedding dress on my wedding http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=A3531LU and I just ordered these shoes: http://www.zappos.com/j-renee-accent-white-satin

Anyone think it will be overkill? I got the shoes on sale, and I really don't want to wear high heels all day, I prefer a more sensible shoe so I won't trip down the aisle. I wasn't sure about the big flower on the shoe with all the ruffles on the dress. Then again, I doubt anyone will even see them.

What a gorgeous wedding gown--very on trend and elegant! And I think the shoes are fine. You are right that few will even see them. Wear what's comfortable and they look like the right heel height for comfort.

Best wishes!

Soozles...what a gorgeous dress! With a dress like that, you really don't need to worry about your shoes too much...wear what makes you feel good. I wore ballet slippers...like REAL ballet slippers because that's what I always envisioned princesses wearing, probably influenced by years of seeing the Nutcracker...and that's how I wanted to feel that day...there's only one series of photographs that you can see them...the photographer had me twirl around and around in my dress and with my dress flying, you can see my slippers. ;)

Soozles your dress is absolutely gorgeous! Love Maggie Sottero dresses!

If the shoes are comfortable wear them - it will be a long day. Maybe the flower can come off if you feel it's too much with the dress or if it catches on the hem. But those shoes are just too cute to pass up! They look very comfy with the open toe and low heel. Enjoy!

Winter is here for a couple days - 35 degrees and windy:mad: - a perfect day to go to the mall! Macy's, Victoria's Secret, etc. here I come...BUT an item won't make it to my shopping bag unless it's cruise-perfect:cool:

Wearing corduroy pants and a heavy sweater - I'll try to transition myself to a tropical state of mind in the swimsuit department!!

What a gorgeous dress! Best wishes on your upcoming wedding.

The mall stores didn't inspire me today. Did buy DH one of those color-on-color tropical shirts and a light pink shirt, tie to go with it and a pocket square (those are for formal night).

I tried on dresses and pants but they weren't working for me. Another lady coming from the dressing room said she wanted to lose 10 pounds before summer...isn't that what most of us would say??!!

In Target, I had a dozen various items and did buy a cami with a matching cardigan and a lightweight purple cardigan. They'll be good for cool northeast mornings and cool and breezy tropical evenings.

Soozles - lovely shoes, lovely dress

Indiana - the weather patterns here in Ottawa are much the same...snow flurries when I left for work this am...freezing...BRRRR...it is difficult to buy pretty cruise clothes dressed in winter clothes...

Okay, it's been 6 weeks since my Pedi - and it still looks good - not good enough for cruising, but good enough for hanging out around town.

How Often Do You Get a Pedicure?

I usually only get 2 or 3 pedicures a year and that is right before a cruise or land get-a-way. I guess I always think of pedicures as a 'vacation must-do' item and not a standard grooming habit. However, ever since Groupon I do buy shellac manicure and pedicure deals whenever they are available in my area since the savings are always at least 50% off. At this moment I have 2 waiting for me to use.:)

I generally only get a mani/pedi before a cruise. However, I do my own pedi during the warmer months. Our cold weather lasts a while, and you can't see my toes with the socks and boots on. :D From May until around mid September, I do my own. Mine also last a long time.

It's only been the last couple cruises that I didn't do my own pedi (aka a couple quick coats of polish)...but now it's my new favorite pre-cruise pampering and why not pamper more often, too???

Socks & closed-toe shoes cover up our feet in cold weather, but it's so much fun to have a professional taking over when temps are warm enough for toes to peek out:cool:

Choosing outfits for The Next Cruise is about to begin. There are clothes in the cruise closet than haven't been worn in a couple years - for various reasons, but mostly because they don't inspire me.

One dress is from Cruise #1 - the fabric and shape are okay, it's sleeveless and has a nice Bolero with it...BUT it's too long and kinda frumpy-looking. Same with a skirt that has never made it on a cruise.

Photos from The Next Cruise WILL include outfits that have never been onboard:cool:.

So I have an idea: Try on all the never-made-it or haven't-made-it-recently clothes to see if my fantastic alterations lady can make them cruise worthy. That's my chore later today.

QUESTION: Do you ever have a dress, skirt, whatever; more than just hemmed or tailored, i.e., long sleeves made short - neckline changed, that sort of thing?

I had two of my former cruise maxi length dresses shortened and taken in a bit for the last cruise because I was getting desperate and it was the dead of winter here. Nothing in the stores. One turned out OK shortened and I wore it once but the other went to Goodwill! I kept the extra material off the hem of the one and made a belt out of it which gave some shape to the original shift design..

But in retrospect it really wasn't worth the alteration money which might have been better spent towards something new as I didn't absolutely love the dress in the first place. I figure now that if I haven't worn something in four years then there is a reason for it!

I think you have to weigh the pros and cons of getting things altered depending on how much you love it and if you can't replace it. When there is time to shop and access to the good clothing selection out there then IMO unless you absolutely love an item it's not worth getting altered when there are other choices and good sales!

Can't believe I'm saying this as I was a "take it apart and remodel it" sewer back in the day! Retail buying has become so much easier and home sewing so much more expensive.

snowbirds2: I, too, have had a couple things altered...then took them to the Goodwill store:eek:...not because of the poor workmanship, but because they didn't look good in their altered state. I'm hoping for better results this time.

One of the dresses that is to be shortened was worn at my sons wedding. It's a Ralph Lauren and is tea length. Will it still be elegant when it's at my knee???? My alterations lady is knee-deep in prom dresses so I'll have to wait a couple weeks to find out...

Meanwhile - Outfit Collection has begun and tomorrow is a trying-on-and-selecting marathon. So nice to try on when the heater isn't needed:cool:!