Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I love hats! Can't cruise without at least two of them; a big straw one with a wide brim for sunny days on deck, and an indestructible Tilley hat for shore excursions.

By the way, I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the good tips and wonderful photos on this thread -- thank you all! I have learned a lot and I am already being a lot more mindful of planning for our next cruise in December -- again thanks!

I can't leave smariba out there by herself!

I wear hats. A new hat is one of my quest items for my cruise. For vacations and just days in the sun, I have my trusty Columbia river hat. Blue, packable and with an adjustable strap. My last vacation hat is a fuschia grosgrain ribbon hat from Anne Taylor that I bought to wear to an ex-boyfriend's wedding. I'm looking for a white or neutral hat that will be easier to pack. My last shopping trip was a bust.

Finally! My fellow hat wearers come out of the woodwork! A few others too I see, I knew I couldn't be the only one :)

As far as the nail strips, I have used them before and I thought they were easy to apply and worked quite well, I just didnt' get the same life out of them that I do with regular nail polish. I will try using a top coat on them and see if that works. Great tip. I'm not one to do designs on my nails, its always a french manicure. But I'm feeling like going outside the box this time and trying something really cute and different. Can't wait!!

When I got in to work early this morning, I found a big Kohl's bag on my chair. I have a coworker who has been losing weight while watching me gain. :(

But, the upside is she just passed along to me a huge bag of shorts and capris!

I was so excited that I changed my grey long pants to a cute pair of olive green capris that pick up some of the floral pattern in my Anne Taylor fuchsia satin trimmed top. What a fun way to start the day!

Do any of you do clothing exchanges with friends? I know I will be going through this bag and calling a few excited friends about whatever doesn't fit me size or style wise.

:D

When I got in to work early this morning, I found a big Kohl's bag on my chair. I have a coworker who has been losing weight while watching me gain. :(

But, the upside is she just passed along to me a huge bag of shorts and capris!

I was so excited that I changed my grey long pants to a cute pair of olive green capris that pick up some of the floral pattern in my Anne Taylor fuchsia satin trimmed top. What a fun way to start the day!

Do any of you do clothing exchanges with friends? I know I will be going through this bag and calling a few excited friends about whatever doesn't fit me size or style wise.

:D

I do the exchange with a friend of mine.

I didn't even think about evening clutch purses until a poster mentioned it here...same for fun pedicure art...now I'll have to start thinking about fun hats to match daytime casual outfits:).

Trying on a couple might motivate me to add hats to my packing list.

Clothing Exchange: What a good idea! Too bad I don't know anyone (well enough) who is my size. An exchange would work especially well when you and a friend fluctuate in weight.

Edited by indiana71

I have just started packing for an upcoming cruise and I found this thread...how wonderful!

Re. hats, last year I finally bought one and I love it. As I have begun to age, I appreciate protecting my skin and I have to admit the hat helps. I wore at in Atlantic City Beach last week too. It's white and I am going to attempt to attach a picture. Please ignore the mess on the bed...that's me in packing mode! I have to try on everything!!!

1052084621_whitehat.jpg.332d22afa4831fdeba9c5a1a422bf255.jpg

OK, I need to do a better job with the lighting, but when you double click on the pictures they get bigger and you can see them better. My next set should be better...after the swim suits. I'll try to post outfits too...as I pack I'll take pics!

Here is the last swim suit. Hopefully you can see it!

1767842553_newVStakini.jpg.717f7f22114b192cfb6582d78a5cc27c.jpg

I love PR! I hope you have a wonderful time and thank you for sharing your photos! You have great style. I travel to PR on business very frequently. There are some great shopping and dining opportunities, enjoy!

I love PR! I hope you have a wonderful time and thank you for sharing your photos! You have great style. I travel to PR on business very frequently. There are some great shopping and dining opportunities, enjoy!

Thank you! I wear sarongs or cover ups over the bikinis, and the animal print tankini is the only one I bought recently. Oh..the scunchy sided swim skirt is new too. I did a little online shopping a few weeks ago :).

We love PR too! I can't wait to get there! This will be our 4th visit.

We are going to PR in January and I'm so excited. It'll be my first time there! I can't wait to hear about how everything went when you return.

As for the white hat, that is pretty much what mine looks like, and I love it too. I used to tan all the time and now I religiously wear sunscreen and try to protect my skin whenever I can. Over the last several years I've noticed some dark spots on my face that weren't there before, and I'm only 30 now, I can't imagine how discolored I would be in another 10 yrs without doing something to prevent it.

Have fun on your trip, your suits are very cute! Any favorite places online to shop for suits? I usually buy from VS but want to try something different.

Ooooh Cobra, love the hat and bathing suits. I remember the 2 piece days, sigh...

Went to Charming Charlie's for the very first time last night after work. Came out with way too much.

I was looking for a new hat. I found 3!

http://charmingcharlie.com/cc/product/productDetails.jsp?pId=3000302405&sId=11044700018&pgName=&pdpTrail=

• teal and silver thread with rhinestones!
  • a large brimmed pink (almost fuchsia) straw hat with sequins
  • a large brimmed straw hat with coral teal and natural colors.

I will either be completely stylin' or borderline tacky, only assembling and trying on outfits will let me decide. :eek: At least I know now that the bathing suit/cover up I am looking for will have to be pink or coral or orange or some combination of both if I want to take either of those color hats with me on my cruise. Does anyone know where you can buy those hat chains that make sure your hats don't fly off?

Don't even get me started on all the jewelry I bought. I really tried to restrain myself to the clearance items, which were also BOGO!

I don't know if anything I bought will wind up on a cruise, but I certainly have some cheap bling now. I will be all set for the murder mystery dinner next weekend when I have to come in character as the murdered billionaire's widow!

Ciao bella!

01 Cobra: Thank you so much for sharing photos! Your white hat is the epitome of CCF Good Taste:).

I love that you say, "As I begun to age....." and yet you're wearing Fantastic SwimSuits!! Just proves that the modern woman is careful about sun exposure, works at being healthy and takes pride in looking her best:cool::).

I like all 6 swimsuits but especially would love to have the multi-colored one, the pink skirt one next to it, and the animal print. Very nice!

We've been to Puerto Rico several times, always for the few hours the ship is in port. I have a cousin there so time with her was the option until the last time when we went to the Bacardi Rum Factory. So you can see, I'm not very familiar with PR:eek:.

We don't have plans to go there in the immediate future...but if we did, where should we go?

MorganiCat: Good to hear from you again!

Isn't Charming Charlie's just the best place to find cool accessories!! Having all of the merchandise (and there's alot!) arranged by color is so-o-o helpful...also entices me to buy more than planned!

But the prices are good, and although it isn't high-end jewelry, it IS fun and good looking - perfect for cruising:cool:.

I wear hats whenever we will be in the sun for an extended time. Really can't say that I like to wear them but I wear them for the protection. My head seems way bigger when wearing one.

MORGANICAT - Very jealous of your Charming Charlies trip. Have an $50 gift card to there that has been burning a hole in my purse since Christmas. There are 3 stores that I know of and they are equal distance from my house. 2 1/2 hours away.

The first time I went there was before our 1st cruise and was blown away by all that they had.

Because of all the positive, helpful, creative posts since February 2011 - we have reached 100,000 posts!!

As the Original Poster, I had no idea how much this thread would influence style and keep us inspired to be well-dressed, well-groomed cruisers who can choose outfits and pack efficiently - but oh boy, all of you who post have done that and more. Best of all, we are sharing and learning.

I'm looking forward to reading the next 100,000 posts:):cool:

We are going to PR in January and I'm so excited. It'll be my first time there! I can't wait to hear about how everything went when you return.

As for the white hat, that is pretty much what mine looks like, and I love it too. I used to tan all the time and now I religiously wear sunscreen and try to protect my skin whenever I can. Over the last several years I've noticed some dark spots on my face that weren't there before, and I'm only 30 now, I can't imagine how discolored I would be in another 10 yrs without doing something to prevent it.

Have fun on your trip, your suits are very cute! Any favorite places online to shop for suits? I usually buy from VS but want to try something different.

Thank you! I always wear sun screen when i'm spending time in the sun, even though I have what I like to call a permanent tan :). I just started wearing face lotion with sun screen on a daily basis about 5 years ago. I am now 40!

I get most of my swim suits from VS and last year I bought the lands end one which I really like. It fits great. I like the VS because I can order by my bra size and get a consistent fit for the most part. Lands end is a bit more conservative and offers more coverage and great support. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to pull off the VS suits!

Morganicat: I love bikinis, but I am transitioning as you can tell from the variety of different suits. Love your teal hat! Great color choice.

Indiana71: obviously you started a great thread! It is so much fun! If you have time in PR, I would recommend shopping in old San Juan where they have some great local shops and if you have time to dine...there is Barrachina (sp?) where you can watch a traditional flamenco show, have dinner and get a piña colada. Then there are the two forts for sight seeing. We like el Morro because there is so much to see and the views to the ocean are spectacular. The women of PR wear some great shoes too! Even on cobble stone streets they rock fabulos high heels and wedges.

I will get back to packing tomorrow and i'll post a few more pictures of outfits, dresses and hand bags. Packing is like part of the vacation in a way... :D

This is a test - I'm following the lead of everyone who says they don't make a spreadsheet, just pack with some idea of what could be worn...This morning, though, I scribbled some possibilities on a piece of notebook paper...

Vacation begins in an hour. Did I pack too much or :eek: not enough??? Time will tell.

01 Cobra: Thanks for the PR suggestions. Made a note in the cruise folder:cool:.

This is a test - I'm following the lead of everyone who says they don't make a spreadsheet, just pack with some idea of what could be worn...This morning, though, I scribbled some possibilities on a piece of notebook paper...

Vacation begins in an hour. Did I pack too much or :eek: not enough??? Time will tell.

01 Cobra: Thanks for the PR suggestions. Made a note in the cruise folder:cool:.

Good luck in try no spread sheet. I have never used one but I do make a list. But now I am going to do a spreadsheet. I think it will save me time while on board ship.

Have a great trip!

OK, here are some tops I tried on while packing. The purchase place is in the name of the picture you will see when you click to enlarge it. None of them are new...last seasons stuff I'm still wearing. I got the Cabi top this past spring season but have yet to wear it so I guess that would count as new.

Here goes: opinions welcome..be gentle though :p

1919670487_whitehouseblackmarket.jpg.b9701555ddfdaa1e538e488685e9c7c9.jpg

cabi.jpg.ea59c05a346b517fb58d3d1a0b03d4e4.jpg

500406717_macysINC.jpg.acbd488624224b4f9bb1a44183ca525d.jpg

kohls.jpg.a9da65110c977d07b29a3abec960d850.jpg

1966925896_charloteerousse.jpg.04744192fb13e6a1a6293d92aad79c52.jpg

Edited by 01 Cobra

I am not really big on dresses so I am only going to take 2 or 3. One for formal night and one for dinner. If we happen to make it to both formal nights, I am taking a black pencil skirt that I can pair with a nice blouse. I will likely wear capri's to dinner most nights. I am taking a black pair and a tan pair that I can mix and match tops with.

The dresses didn't photograph well...they look sooo plain, I plan on wearing a thin red belt with the snake skin print dress (Kohls purchase) to give it some shape. It actually doesn't look to bad on me...I think.

The black dress is so cute...hope you can see the ruffles (Saks off 5th outlet, on sale $29). It has a lot of strech in it so it doesn't really fit all that tight...believe it or not it's a large.

Shoes are next!

503056759_VSsundress.jpg.85031bac3e6ef8045cd6968d13a84227.jpg

322133273_blackruffledress.jpg.27d0296aee433e8b21370845cc76d9df.jpg

450298455_upperblackdress.jpg.eb2433633ad685a3fd0308abed2d3124.jpg

1715265212_snakedress.jpg.25ccfd32b78a00e6179caa8c8ed364c5.jpg

Edited by 01 Cobra

OK, here are some tops I tried on while packing. The purchase place is in the name of the picture you will see when you click to enlarge it. None of them are new...last seasons stuff I'm still wearing. I got the Cabi top this past spring season but have yet to wear it so I guess that would count as new.

Here goes: opinions welcome..be gentle though :p

I love love love the one shoulder top with the spagetti strap. It is gorgeous!