Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

TNGALOHA: Very nice! I love pink, too. You're inspiring me to try my hand at making jewelry...a couple busy weeks to get through first...

I've mentioned before how much good info is in "Allure" magazine. There are several useful articles in the "Allure Insider's Guide Fall 2012". Here are a couple things that can destroy a manicure:

HAND SANITIZER: applying often erodes the topcoat and makes polish duller.

TEXTING: Every tap is a tiny trauma to nails.

FOLDING LAUNDRY (something I just did!): Folding while it's still warm and fresh from the dryer - heat softens polish and fades color. Same goes for cooking over a hot stove (something else I do fairly often:eek:).

SHOWER SCRUBS: If scrubs slough off skin, they'll do the same thing to nail polish.

NONE of those actions are easy to avoid!! Guess we'll need to touch up nail polish more often:confused:.

Indiana71,

I took an earring make class at Jonanns Fabric a few years back. I did it because I want to make them with my craft club at church. I showed a few other ladies there how to make them. We made over 130 pairs of earrings and sold them at the church fair for $3. a pair. The money went to the mission fund.

It was lots of fun to do. I think you would like making jewelry to go with your outfits.

Lots of things can destroy a manicure including sun creams and especially insect repellent. This is why I have my nails, both manicure and pedicure done with Shellac and I don't need to worry. I am just religious about using the solar oil cuticle oil which is wonderful. I can get up to 4 weeks out of the manicure and double that out of the pedicure (I need a pedi before the polish needs changing), so the extra cost to have it done balances out.

You can find salon/spa on the CND website for your area.

I love reading through these posts, it really puts me in the mood to get to the Islands. I had a little mooch in my "cruise" closet last night where I keep the over spill from my walk in which I am ashamed to say is rather large but I have an addiction to clothes, shoes and purses. Never wear the same thing twice on a cruise and must have matching shoe/purse etc,. Luckily we get the choice to drive to 5 diffferent ports and two of them are only 1 hour away, so luggage never a problem thankfully.

Please keep posting the lovely pictures and finds whilst out shopping.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

TNGALOHA: Very nice! I love pink, too. You're inspiring me to try my hand at making jewelry...a couple busy weeks to get through first...

I've mentioned before how much good info is in "Allure" magazine. There are several useful articles in the "Allure Insider's Guide Fall 2012". Here are a couple things that can destroy a manicure:

HAND SANITIZER: applying often erodes the topcoat and makes polish duller.

TEXTING: Every tap is a tiny trauma to nails.

FOLDING LAUNDRY (something I just did!): Folding while it's still warm and fresh from the dryer - heat softens polish and fades color. Same goes for cooking over a hot stove (something else I do fairly often:eek:).

SHOWER SCRUBS: If scrubs slough off skin, they'll do the same thing to nail polish.

NONE of those actions are easy to avoid!! Guess we'll need to touch up nail polish more often:confused:.

Indiana,

I thoroughly enjoy making jewelry. It all started when I didn't have a piece to wear with an outfit. So I went to Joanns and bought the items to make a necklace, bracelet and earrings and sat down that afternoon and made it. There has been a lot of pieces made since then, I have sold a few, but mostly given away a lot of what I have made. If there is a dress or an outfit I am planning on wearing and no jewelry for it I just make a piece.

I will post my very first piece. It is very cruise orientated.

Gerry

1582859427_GerryGems(125).jpg.66b0b7a80f2d34dcc3ea32bc83fbb2a3.jpg

Indiana,

I thoroughly enjoy making jewelry. It all started when I didn't have a piece to wear with an outfit. So I went to Joanns and bought the items to make a necklace, bracelet and earrings and sat down that afternoon and made it. There has been a lot of pieces made since then, I have sold a few, but mostly given away a lot of what I have made. If there is a dress or an outfit I am planning on wearing and no jewelry for it I just make a piece.

Gerry

Love it!!

:D I too am a planner. It gives more time as you say for cruising activities when you know what you are going to be wearing. It also saves taking things you won't be wearing. I am great for making lists-daytime wear, afternoon wear if necessary, evening wear, and the all important shoe list. That is a tough one for me. I wish I could take all my shoes because you just never know...so that is why I NEED to figure it out ahead of time.

Its beautiful! What did you wear with it?

I don't have a picture of the outfit but it was a pair of white capris and a short sleeved light teal and gold shirt with a pair of flat sandals that have teal, gold, brown, and white seed beads on the straps across the top and back of the sandals.

I don't have the top anymore since I sent it to my daughter to wear,(it got too small--I'll never admit to the fact that I got bigger):o

I had several comments on the outfit and 1 lady wanted to buy the necklace right off my neck!!

Well, DH is going to be gone TDY for 2 weeks so I am going to tear my house apart and clean, clean, clean oh yea and PITCH, PITCH, PITCH!!! He won't know this place when he returns. Then I can devote all my attention to making my jewelry for my cruise and staging my clothes for it!! Yeah!!

I'd say that is a pretty good reward for all the hard work that I am going to be doing.:D (getting ready for a cruise)

Do any of you ladies do a lot of cleaning when your husband/significant other goes on a trip for work for any length of time?

That seems to be when I can get the most accomplished because he isn't there saying-Don't throw that out we might need that later?:eek:

Hope everyone has a great day today.

Gerry

The outfit sounds beautiful! My clothes ALWAYS "shrink" in the dryer :D

Mine too!!! I was beginning to think that I had a fairy in there that was making everthing smaller so I would have to loose this excess weight or go without clothes.:eek:

Do any of you ladies do a lot of cleaning when your husband/significant other goes on a trip for work for any length of time?

I save special projects for the times I know he will be gone. That way I don't get all the flack of "why do you want to do that," etc, AND I don't have to stop and make dinner! ;)

He will be gone the whole week leading up to Labor Day so I'm going to paint our bedroom and rearrange the furniture!:D

Edited by KeithsKelly

:D I too am a planner. It gives more time as you say for cruising activities when you know what you are going to be wearing. It also saves taking things you won't be wearing. I am great for making lists-daytime wear, afternoon wear if necessary, evening wear, and the all important shoe list. That is a tough one for me. I wish I could take all my shoes because you just never know...so that is why I NEED to figure it out ahead of time.

YOU sound like you should be my twin!!

I always take ALL my sandals! They pack easily LOL We dont dress up so no need for heavy pumps or high heels. Works for me!Since weve been on 16 cruises I pretty much have the clothes packing down to a science using the list from the previous cruise :D

That seems to be when I can get the most accomplished because he isn't there saying-Don't throw that out we might need that later?:eek:

Gerry

I always clean when I have the house to myself. He will pick things up that I am trying to throw away and ends up with a pile of stuff that goes right back to the same spot. It's also nice to have the place clean for a little while, knowing everything will stay neat until he gets back.

I also try and do crafts/projects that I have been putting off. I am actually planning on turning a storage room into a craft room. I started a while ago but never got around to finishing it. I have a table set up with drawers and storage for all of my jewelry making stuff as well as my sewing machine and supplies. I've been making jewelry for a decade now, and it usually is given as gifts to friends and family. I want to focus on making clothes now. I've attempted it a few times, and really want to put the effort in now, but I think having a designated space will really help. First up is going to be a bathing suit cover up. I have the pattern but have yet to pick out the material. I hope it turns out :confused:

I always clean when I have the house to myself. He will pick things up that I am trying to throw away and ends up with a pile of stuff that goes right back to the same spot. It's also nice to have the place clean for a little while, knowing everything will stay neat until he gets back.

I also try and do crafts/projects that I have been putting off. I am actually planning on turning a storage room into a craft room. I started a while ago but never got around to finishing it. I have a table set up with drawers and storage for all of my jewelry making stuff as well as my sewing machine and supplies. I've been making jewelry for a decade now, and it usually is given as gifts to friends and family. I want to focus on making clothes now. I've attempted it a few times, and really want to put the effort in now, but I think having a designated space will really help. First up is going to be a bathing suit cover up. I have the pattern but have yet to pick out the material. I hope it turns out :confused:

I all so love to sew clothes. I am planning to do a pair of cotton pants soon. It helps to have a place that you can keep your machines set up. My DH and I share a small office. I have both my sewing machine and serger set up there. So much nicer just to sit and sew without having to set up my machines.

Tngaloha- Love the necklace! You are giving me a new crafting bug, I am itching to go to Hobby Lobby and get some beads!!

Yes, whenever my DH leaves for business the first thing I do is deep clean the kitchen and polish the stainless. It is surprising how long the shine lasts when he is gone. Also I but on my headphones and scrapbook the rest of the time he is gone.

I WILL NOT START A NEW HOBBY>I WILL NOT START A NEW HOBBY>I WILL NOT START A NEW HOBBY, dang it now I have to go to Hobby Lobby

Chris

I arrived at our cottage a couple hours ago and am now sitting on the sunporch doing my own mani while reading what all you CCFs are talking about today.

CELTICGIRLCRUISER: You win the CCF crown of the week:cool:! You don't have luggage weight issues, you are close to FIVE ports (the rest of us land-locked CCFs are envious), and you love shoes and purses. AND you're pretty darn knowledgeable about mani-pedis, too:).

smariba and geocruiser: Making jewelry AND sewing are 2 more highly commendable attributes...wish you lived nearby!

TNGALOHA: Love, love, LOVE your necklace. The outfit sounds like it all went together beautifully:).

hi2you: A CCF crown to you to for being a good planner. If we could only convince everyone about the benefits we reap!

boopsahoy: How many pairs of sandals do you have? I take several pair, but also need dressier shoes. Sandals DO fit in easily to those little nooks and crannies in our suitcases...

WHEN DH IS GONE - I, too, get lots of cleaning done. No time constraints or distractions make it the ideal time.

When Packing Time gets close, it's also nice to have at least 1 day to completely devote to staging outfits.

ChrisRoo : Love your last sentence, "I will not start a new hobby....":) Looks like I'll be joining you...jewelry making can be a fun new way to co-ordinate outfits.

Just pick up two new straw hats yesterday for $4. each. The regular floppy kind. One in a blue and the other in a light purple. Now that my hair is short I can wear a hat with out messing up the hair! Just have to make the light purple pants to go with the hat. I hope soon to start that.

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I arrived at our cottage a couple hours ago and am now sitting on the sunporch doing my own mani while reading what all you CCFs are talking about today.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]CELTICGIRLCRUISER[/U]: You win the CCF crown of the week:cool:! You don't have luggage weight issues, you are close to FIVE ports (the rest of us land-locked CCFs are envious), and you love shoes and purses. AND you're pretty darn knowledgeable about mani-pedis, too:).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[/QUOTE]

Oh a crown, how exciting! I hope it is one of those pageant style ones and I can take it on my next cruise and wear it on formal night:D:D Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Wouldn't it be nice if...we could [I]really[/I] give a CCF tiara every week![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]What a status symbol that would be when all crownees proudly wear their prize on formal night:).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Last weekend we attended a Champagne Luncheon at our club at the lake. Two ladies at our table gave me an insight into their busy lives. They keep a couple outfits in their cars! One of them is an avid golfer and if she's driving and gets a call to play, she can change IN HER CAR and OFTEN does!! And if her DH calls for an impromtu lunch or supper date, she has an outfit for that. (And when the Car Clothes have been worn, she simply replaces the outfit with another.)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]The other lady keeps flats and heels (black) and has needed them OFTEN![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Both are planners, obviously:). [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]The Other Lesson Learned: Before traveling, make a list of What Needs Done the week you return. After vacation it takes awhile to re-acclimate to Real Life. The list keeps you on track:cool:,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='TNGALOHA']Indiana,
Gerry[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Love, love your necklace! I am a costume jewelry nut and I've been thinking about taking a class at Joanns, sounds and looks like a lot of fun.[/SIZE][/FONT] :)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]A couple more quotes from ALLURE magazine, Fall2012:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]How to Look Thinner: [U]Distract the eye[/U]. Wear jewelry, bright colors or a pattern on areas you want to accentuate and dark, solid colors on places you want to appear slimmer.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Wear heels with cropped pants. A little skin gives the illusion of slenderness.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]V-necks elongate the neck and shoulder area.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Organize[/U]: Hang as much as you can, except sweaters and knit tops. If you don't hang jeans, fold them only once, at the knee.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Skinny flocked hangers are light and flexible, take up less space than wood hangers. Use them for everyday clothes.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]NOTE: I use big fat satin padded hangers for Cruise Clothes and there's enough space that nothing is crammed.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Also, all skirts, Capris, tops, etc. are hung together, by color.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]QUESTION: Do you organize your closet, storage area? Any hints, suggestions for the rest of us?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

We are taking our first Caribbean cruise in December. We will be on the Celebrity Equinox from Ft. Lauderdale making stops in Cartagena, Panama, Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, Costa Rica.
Short of reading back 77 pages - and I'll do that I promise once I retire in October, any quick suggestions of what I need to keep out of storage for the trip (or links to previous pages will work just fine). Maybe I should say what can I go ahead and put in storage. :) I have one swim suit from Lands End - print top, plain bottom and just ordered a second set-all print and I think the top will match my existing bottom. Not bikini - skirt styles with halter tops. I have one hat - but reading the past few pages, I'm thinking maybe I should take two.
We aren't beach people and will likely take tours - both of us are fair, so we sunburn easily. Shorts, Long pants or Skirts for the tours? I don't usually wear capris - they just don't look right on me. I just ordered a white linen shirt for my husband to wear on the tours to keep the sun off and keep cool. Is there a men's fashion page too?
How dressy is dinner on Caribbean cruises? We are accustomed to European cruises and they tend to be fairly dressy. All advice is welcome. I'm young at heart but not in truth and there is more of me than there should be - I'm hoping retirement in October helps with that when I don't have to spend 7 hours a day sitting in front of a computer and 3 hours a day sitting on a train etc. though I will miss the walking in Manhattan from the bus stop to my job, and to lunch.
Anyway, now that I've found this group, I hope to check in often, and hope I can get some much needed fashion advice, but not like the lady on TV who chides you for your choices. I need kind advice.
Beth