Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Disneynan, I use the cubes all the time whether on a cruise or land trip.

I love them. I put my undies in one, hosiery, sleepwear and spanx in another with swimwear and cover up-all rolled small.

In my medium sized ones I can put my t-shirts laid flat.

Each one will hold a weeks worth of t-shirts, and in another medium I can fold my shorts, this time I was able to get enough for the 10 day cruise.

In the large I can fold all of DH's dress shirts and casual evening shirts.

In the second large one I put all of his t-shirts (enough for 10 days).

The 3rd large holds all of his dress pants and shorts.

With the cubes, when you come home you can put all the dirty clothes in them and you don't have the smell in all of your suitcases. I always put a couple of gain dryer sheets in them too for the trip home.

All 6 cubes will fit in 1 suitcase. If the weight is too high then I put my small one in the incidental suitcase.

Dh's suit and my 3 formals for upcoming cruise will be in a med. sized suitcase by themselves. I even use the large cube to put all my shoes in for the carry-on for the plane. ( when we get ready to board I put that cube in with the formals so that my carry-on is lighter.)

Hope this helps. I just ordered some more of the large cubes from e-bags to use on our next cruise,

Gerry

Thanks so much for your responses! I usually roll all of our clothes when traveling but this sounds more organized. I also like the idea of being able to keep all the shoes separated. We are climbing Dunn's River Falls, so we all need water shoes too. I was able to hit the summer sales and get those for less than $3 each, so they may not come back home.

I learned about packing cubes on Cruise Critic a few months ago. Found mine at Ikea. 4 sizes for $9.99. Only drawback is they only have pink and blue, and I am definitely NOT a pink girl!! Oh well!!

As far as weight goes, they weigh almost nothing. I am a compulsive packer, and I LOVE my bags and containers, etc. Packing cubes satisfy my need for separation of items.

I was amazed that I got 2 swimsuits, 2 sarong's, and 2 cover ups in the medium sized one with room to spare! Probably will be adding my undergarments to that cube!

It was also mentioned that the convenience of packing cubes is that when unpacking, all you have to do is grab a cube and set it on the shelf or in the drawer, and no concern about your unmentionables sitting on a shelf where someone else's unmentionable may have been less than 12 hours previous!!

Wow! CCFs really like packing cubes! And rolling...

Two techniques that have worked for many...but I never tried cubes; and rolling has only made wrinkles (more practice needed!)

My Packing Process is going to begin this weekend...using the same old layering with tissue paper... Luggage open and ready. Outfits might get a second Try On (just to be sure they fit and I like everything...) The temp outside might be a little autumn-like, but the Cruise Room will be tropical with steel-drum music and perhaps DH will bring me an appropriate beverage;):cool:!

Edited by indiana71

Hello ladies, I am new to this thread and really enjoyed reading the last 10 pages or so (don't have enough time to read all of them ha). I saw a few references to packing cubes. I have some on my Amazon wish list that I am thinking about getting for our cruise next spring, but am concerned about adding more weight to our luggage......any thoughts?

Lots more info on packing cubes here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2214705&highlight=cubes

As a chronic overpacker I too am concerned about weight - but after reading all about these and the 'testimonials' I have decided to give it a try and have a few 'sets' of packing cubes that I will be initiating in a couple of weeks.

I like the 'organizational aspect' and will be spending 3 days in San Juan pre-cruise so I am hoping I can plan ahead and use the cubes strategically. Also thinking the cubes might help keep my packing in check so I don't overpack e.g. if cube is full? LOL - worth a try?:eek::D:p

Edited by Froufie

Lots more info on packing cubes here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2214705&highlight=cubes

As a chronic overpacker I too am concerned about weight - but after reading all about these and the 'testimonials' I have decided to give it a try and have a few 'sets' of packing cubes that I will be initiating in a couple of weeks.

I like the 'organizational aspect' and will be spending 3 days in San Juan pre-cruise so I am hoping I can plan ahead and use the cubes strategically. Also thinking the cubes might help keep my packing in check so I don't overpack e.g. if cube is full? LOL - worth a try?:eek::D:p

Another over-packer here.:cool: We have a travel trailer, so I usually don't have to worry about over packing. I am worried about our upcoming trip because I am packing quite a few dresses for dinner, including a gown. But we are also spending 3 days at Universal Studios and so I need to pack for park touring as well. I agree that the packing cubes will make it much easier to keep the park clothing and the cruise clothing separate.

Thanks for the link.....looking forward to checking it out!

This may sound silly, but my favorite use of packing cubes is twofold. 1. My underwear it's always easy to find and the cube goes into a drawer, no unpacking. 2. I also use one for all bathing suits and cover-up. Again, right in a drawer.

I do the same thing

This may sound silly, but my favorite use of packing cubes is twofold. 1. My underwear it's always easy to find and the cube goes into a drawer, no unpacking. 2. I also use one for all bathing suits and cover-up. Again, right in a drawer.

SunnDayGirl - I do the same thing too! I love my packing cubes! Depending on the length of the trip I might do the "Bundle" packing method in the Large Cube, another small cube for curling iron, luggage scale and other oddities, undies go in another. Makes it so easy to find things once you arrive.

My 1 year old granddaughter helped me "try on" my clothes for Hawaii yesterday so everything is ready to go into the suitcase this weekend. Already have my swimsuits & coverup in a compression cube. Beach towels, etc in another.

I have to fly to my son's the Saturday (Grami duty) before we leave and come back Sunday night and then we leave Monday morning for Hawaii. I have my packing cube all set for my overnight trip & in my rolling carry-on that fits under the seat.

When we go on our cruise from Lima next year the cubes will be great for our cruise items and our pre-cruise items as we are going to spend a week in Peru prior to the cruise. They are also great for dirty clothes for the trip home! :D

Agree! These things are great for packing and being able to just toss them on a shelf or in a drawer and still stay organized is even better. I found mine at TJ Maxx and Marshall's as well. Get each person in the cabin their own color and it keeps things even simpler. I can't travel with my cubes :)

Oh and there really isn't a problem with excess weight. I had that issue with compression bags but not cubes.

Edited by KARTI1955

Holy cow!! So many endorsements for Packing Cubes (they deserve capital letters for all the attention;)).

It would be helpful to us uninitiated types to see photos of the packed cubes...and maybe how they go in your suitcase.

Meanwhile, my Packing Process is beginning this morning...using the same old method and checking each item off the spreadsheet.

Holy cow!! So many endorsements for Packing Cubes (they deserve capital letters for all the attention;)).

It would be helpful to us uninitiated types to see photos of the packed cubes...and maybe how they go in your suitcase.

Meanwhile, my Packing Process is beginning this morning...using the same old method and checking each item off the spreadsheet.

Here is a video of the packing cubes and more.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-full-cube-set/d/1507_cl_1495#

Just click on the Product Video icon for a video. And for the other video click on the Pack with Pack-it Icon

Picture of products.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-organizers-view-all/l/330

I use the medium folder. Great for our shirts. I fit about 12 shirts in each folder. They don't wrinkle.

Edited by geocruiser

TNGALOHA,

Have you used the folders? They are great.

Yes, I have. In fact I have a big one that I use for Tom's suits and long sleeved shirts. I also have some smaller ones that I made but aren't using them this time because I got everything in the cubes. I have my shoes in my carry-on in the bags that I made for them. Inside each pair of shoes is my pantyhose and spanx that I am wearing with that pair of shoes. ( except tennis they have my socks)

Geo, my new machine is being delivered today. I am so excited. I'll post pics on the other thread when I get it all set up.

Hope everyone has a great weekend,

Gerry

Hi CCF's,

When packing for a cruise, do you stay with a couple of colors? Or do you take lots of different colored clothing? I do wear a lot of bright colored clothing and each day I wear something different. Two outfits a day (one for day and the other for night). The only piece that I twice is a pair of fancy black pants for formal night. I wear a different tops with it.

I usually pack a shorts outfit for every port day. Because of heat, tanks and shorter shorts than normal. Couple of long skirts and tops, black pants and top or tops. Bright capris and tops is usually what I wear around the ship.2or3 suits and a couple of cover ups. If I'm wearing a suit off the ship, I usually bring an extra. Hate putting on a wet suit. I have pewter sandals that I wear to dinner. They go with everything. My walking sandals, pool flips, and tennis shoes if I'm doing ropes course, zip lining, or hiking excursions. Sounds like allot, but it's not. 40 lb or under. My shoes go in carryon so my checked luggage passes weight requirement.

geocruiser: Thanks for the link to Packing Cubes. It was very helpful! So-o-o many CCFs use them!!

With my packing method, hardly anything gets more than one fold. Skirts and pants are packed on hangers so they come out of the suitcase and go directly to the closet. Tops aren't folded at all.

Wrinkles have never been an issue...

So, the cubes are obviously the perfect choice for many, but not for me.

I didn't expect to get EVERYTHING packed yesterday...but 96% of my list is in the suitcase!

I don't have anything yellow this time :confused: - since the Anthem cruise is in January, yellow will definitely be a color choice (especially since I bought a handmade yellow purse!)

Lots of colors are what I like, and this time only 1 pair of white dress pants will be worn twice.

Here's a list of what's in my suitcase:

Shoes - 9 pair

Capris - 5

Shorts - 3

Pants - 4

Skirts - 2

Dresses - 3

Tops - 15

Swimsuit - only 1 this time w/ a coverup & Flip Flops

DH put some things in the Cruise Room...

sunnydaygirl,

I also hate putting on a wet bathing suit. Putting shoes in a carry on is a great idea if you are flying.

Nancy,

You have a great way to pack. I have tried to pack with the hangers on, but can't seem to do it right in a suit case. Do you also use a garment bag?