Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Happy 1 year anniversary!!

Ok ladies, I AM DONE packing!!! I just weighed my large suitcase and it came in at a respectable 38 lbs, so not overweight, and easy enough for me to handle myself. I even managed to sneak in an extra pair of shoes :D and still have enough room to bring home a few souvenirs.

I have a list of 5 things to put in the suitcase before we leave for the airport - small stuff I need in the morning. Otherwise, I think I'm ready to roll!

Have a great trip!

I have loved reading through everyone's plans for packing! This gets me excited for upcoming trip! I set things out in our spare bedroom too. I have the "casual" pile, the "dressy" pile and the "shoe" pile. Anyway, this year I have the added fun of finding clothes in smaller sizes...just lost 45 pounds. This years cruise pictures will look different than last year. Both my husband and I are smiling. ;)

Happy Anniversary CCF and thank you to Indiana for starting such a fun and useful thread!

I've really enjoyed all the pictures and sharing! Love your outfits Indiana! And the anticipation of filling those empty suitcases. You seem very well prepared. Oh and about those daily pill holders - I've now got three in different colours for my earrings and small pendants. Great way to keep those chains from getting tangled up. Now I need a practical solution for organizing the necklaces. Some are the wire thread type that don't bend.

After all the planning, shopping, decision making and checking this thread regularly we are down to two weeks before we sail! Where did the time go! I'm resisting the urge to do last minute impulse buying. Though I did just invest in a third swim suit - a tankini. Thought it would be more practical for tours on Port days that have a combination beach sightseeing and shopping.

Congrats on your weight lossQuiltncruZ - that's a real accomplishment. What fun to be able to downsize your wardrobe! I'm still working on that!

Have a great cruise curlymason! One 38 lb suitcase - I'm impressed - that's my next challenge - a trial pack.

Ok ladies, I AM DONE packing!!! I just weighed my large suitcase and it came in at a respectable 38 lbs, so not overweight, and easy enough for me to handle myself. I even managed to sneak in an extra pair of shoes :D and still have enough room to bring home a few souvenirs.

I have a list of 5 things to put in the suitcase before we leave for the airport - small stuff I need in the morning. Otherwise, I think I'm ready to roll!

WOW! 38 lbs, I am impressed.

Isn't it such a relief to be done packing? I am so envious (jealous :rolleyes: ),

I really loved Mariner OS. Have a GREAT cruise!

Have a great cruise! Congrats on keeping the suitcase weight down. Our bags usually come in between 38 to 42 lbs. fully packed. I have no idea why other people's bags are so heavy....we don't have lightweight luggage, either.

I tape a list of those final items to the outside of my carry on, I'll sometimes tape one onto the bathroom mirror so I don't forget the mascara!

A good way to keep necklaces from tangling is to thread them through a drinking straw, cut to size. I learned this tip years ago right here on F/B board.

curlymason: Congratulations on seriously organized, not over weight limit, packing!!!

All of us who are on double digit countdowns are envious that your cruise IS FINALLY HERE!

Come back and tell us about your cruise and if you wore everything or (:eek:) if you forgot to pack something. You've done such a good job, though; and left nothing to chance.

QuiltncruZ: Congratulations to you on the weight loss:)! You will look good AND feel really good in smaller sizes.

Sounds like you are well on the way to being an organized CCF!

Keep coming back with updates on The Process (of packing)!

THANKS TO ALL WHO POSTED ANNIVERSARY GREETINGS!

I tape a list of those final items to the outside of my carry on, I'll sometimes tape one onto the bathroom mirror so I don't forget the mascara!

A good way to keep necklaces from tangling is to thread them through a drinking straw, cut to size. I learned this tip years ago right here on F/B board.

Great tips - will use those - thank you! I just found some gerbera daisy straws - the ones that are wider than drinking straws- they work perfectly!

My biggest fear is forgetting those last minute details - going to make my list now - in triplicate!

Happyks: I will use your "tape it on the mirror" suggestion, and will also look for the "wider than drinking" straws.

Today I've laid out the jewelry and the straws would be a great solution to "onboard tangles"! Thanks:)!!

My Biggest "I Can't Believe I Forgot......" moment was the very cloudy, snowy morning we drove to Baltimore. Since I didn't need them for the drive, I had my perscription sunglasses in the car BUT NOT IN MY Carryon:eek: and didn't realize it until we were underway.

I bought a sun visor at our first port - there were none to be had on the ship. So there will also be a note to be sure the sunglasses are packed!

The Evening Handbag Experiment: I have 5 evening handbags ready to pack. On all previous cruises I gave DH my SeaPass & lipstick in the evening, so a handbag wasn't on the list at all.

I must say, it's been fun going to consignment shops looking for evening bags. They are quite plentiful and a real bargain!

BUT - will they be more of a nuisance than a valuable accessory???

The Evening Handbag Experiment: I have 5 evening handbags ready to pack. On all previous cruises I gave DH my SeaPass & lipstick in the evening, so a handbag wasn't on the list at all.

I must say, it's been fun going to consignment shops looking for evening bags. They are quite plentiful and a real bargain!

Indiana - I always carry a bag while on the ship, small cross-body or this last one a small evening bag with a wrist strap. DH and I sometimes have different itineraries in the evening, so I need to carry my own seapass. It also holds a camera, you never know when you're going to need that. I also used it to carry the day's schedule of activities so we were less likely to miss a show or trivia.

My big question is always, "How small can I get it and still have it useful?"

Happyks: I will use your "tape it on the mirror" suggestion, and will also look for the "wider than drinking" straws.

Today I've laid out the jewelry and the straws would be a great solution to "onboard tangles"! Thanks:)!!

My Biggest "I Can't Believe I Forgot......" moment was the very cloudy, snowy morning we drove to Baltimore. Since I didn't need them for the drive, I had my perscription sunglasses in the car BUT NOT IN MY Carryon:eek: and didn't realize it until we were underway.

I bought a sun visor at our first port - there were none to be had on the ship. So there will also be a note to be sure the sunglasses are packed!

I love having my evening bags with me - I took three last week - gold, silver and black. Thanks to a tip I read on here, I stored jewelry and other odds and ends in them in the suitcase, so they didn't take up a lot of space. Another option is to buy one on the ship, most ships have a $10.00 store and it's fun to buy a new bag as a little useful "souvenir".

I made lists as usual this time, but still forgot things. :( I had ironed my cute white capris and had them hanging on our pull-up bar in our bathroom doorway, planning to put them in the suitcase at the last minute. My husband asked me to help roll up his shirts, then I got busy doing something else and realized on the way to the airport that I had forgotten my capris, which I was planning on wearing the first night! I was so mad at myself! Luckily, I had nice jeans packed, so I ended up wearing them an extra night with the top I was planning on wearing with the white capris. I also forgot extra contact lenses, so I was a little freaked out about snorkeling but it worked out okay, just had to be SUPER careful. And lastly, forgot my rash guard, so again had to be super careful about putting on sunscreen while snorkeling. Fortunately, none of it was something I couldn't live without, even if I had lost a contact I did have my glasses with me.

centralcalicruzer: You brought up a great point - one that I forgot about!!! There is always a handbag sale onboard:)! For $10, it's the best souvenir and can be used anytime!! They don't take up much space either.

Thanks for the reminder!!

QUESTION: How about the rest of you - do you have an "I Forgot......." horror story??

centralcalicruzer: You brought up a great point - one that I forgot about!!! There is always a handbag sale onboard:)! For $10, it's the best souvenir and can be used anytime!! They don't take up much space either.

Thanks for the reminder!!

QUESTION: How about the rest of you - do you have an "I Forgot......." horror story??

It's not an "I forgot" story, but a horror nonetheless. We got in the car before dawn to to make an early flight for a cruise. We were several miles from home when I realized that my cross-body bag was caught in the door. After stopping, in the dark, we found that it had actually been dragging outside the car along the road, loaded with cash, passport and camera. Fortunately, the camera wasn't damaged, and the money and passport were wet, but still worked:p. The bag has hard-won battle scars, but I'm not holding that against it.

As long as I leave the house with my passport and credit cards, I figure the rest is recoverable, one way or another.

Curlymason- have a great cruise, can't wait to hear all about it!

Quiltncruz- congrats on the weight loss, that is such a huge accomplishment!

My "I forgot it" story is from my first cruise, thinking because it was in the Bahamas in June I didn't need a sweater or wrap. I didn't know how chilly a shipboard dining room or theater could be! I ended up buying pashmina wraps for myself and my two freezing daughters in the gift shop.

On the evening bag subject, I was just trying to decide what to do about that myself. Originally I was just going to take my Baggallini to dinner every night, but it's not really fancy enough for formal wear. I like the consignment shop idea!

Edited by CactusGirly

Other than a few small items like contact lens case, bandaids and cough meds(all different times) we've never forgotten anything. I think my packing method helps, everything is ready to pack in advance, very few last minute items.

Our problems have been: once the interior light in the car was left on, we returned to a dead battery late at night. Another time the garage door opener went with us, I have no idea why my husband had it in his pocket to begin with. Our I e maker failed to auto shut off, our neighbor fortunately caught it and we only had a water stain and some frozen food loss.

All these things have taught us to take a moment before leaving, to leave plenty of time so we're not rushed.

My hubby's suit, my dress and my daughter's dress all needed to be dry cleaned before we went on our cruise. I opted to wait til we were on board to do it instead of doing it before we left so we didn't have to worry about them wrinkling. It wasn't that expensive and way less hassle than dealing with the wrinkles! (we were on Royal Caribbean)

Laura;

I love this idea!!!! How long did they take to get back? We leave on Saturday and the first formal dinner is Sunday...will that be enough time to get them back in time? We will be on a Royal Caribbean ship as well.

use to take awhile unpacking but since i have been packing our evening clothes on hangers with dry-cleaner bags and our day clothes in the 2.5 gallon zip locks, along with pretty much everything in the ziplock baggies (various sizes) it goes very quickly now.

How do you pack your day clothes in the 2.5 gallon zip lock bags without them looking like spit wads when they come out????

How do you pack your day clothes in the 2.5 gallon zip lock bags without them looking like spit wads when they come out????

:) I do that too - I roll everything. It really works well and does make the process go very quickly. Also, I don't pack anything that is heavy cotton or heavy linen that would not work with that type of packing.

We forgot a suitcase! :eek: Well it wasn't really as bad as it sounds because it was on our return journey - but we left one of our suitcases behind in the cruise terminal at disembarkation! Didn't realize until we were checking our baggage in at the airport in San Juan! Had to make a mad dash back across town to retrieve it and only just make our flight on time! Talk about nerve racking! Moral of the story is - don't tavel with more baggage than you can handle! Now it's one big case and one carry on!

I love reading the "I forgot" stories. Thankfully, none (so far) have been life threatening!

naxie nee!: Wow! You were lucky to have your cross-body intact. You can have an outfit for every occasion but if you don't have your passport & credit cards - you aren't going ANYWHERE!

snowbirds2: Many of us have a "left suitcase" story. We picked up a garment bag, only to discover at home that it wasn't ours:eek:! Thank goodness, there was a name & address. We UPS'd the garment bag and the cruise terminal had ours, so we got it back.

Our Lesson: I put colored duct tape cutouts all over our plain black garment bag.

Happy ks: You bring up a very good point - We have our spreadsheets and last minute notes so nothing is forgotten...but we also need a check list of things To Do at home before leaving!

My Packing Process is on hold right now. DH hasn't given me shorts & shirts yet. I pack some of his things & some of mine in each large suitcase.

I do, however, have everything of mine in the Cruise Room & ready to pack.

I'm ordering a 2nd garment bag so all my dresses, DH's pants, dinner shirts & sport jackets will go on hangers in the garment bags. That will save lots of time when unpacking.

I've loved reading through this thread! I saw someone mention Clark's, which I love, so I just had to post. I have foot problems, and have to be careful about what heels I wear. Clark's are my favs, but often aren't super dressy. BUT I just ordered these in Bronze Leather for my upcoming cruise: http://www.6pm.com/clarks-fiddle-bridge-white-leather

I think they'll look great with my chocolate brown cocktail dress, and I could probably wear them with my black dress as well!

If you ladies haven't, check out 6pm.com! It's the clearance site for Zappos.

Thanks SO much for mentioning 6pm.com!!! I checked it out and found the perfect skirt for my upcoming cruise!!!!! Here is a pic

1363800-p-DETAILED.jpg.110d33b1f08a8742def1d168b6b9c520.jpg

naxie nee!: On another Fashion & Beauty thread, someone posted a link to a mesh shower caddy on amazon. If you go to amazon.com and search for "shower caddy", it should come up.

I put one on my Wish List and will order it after the Christmas rush. It's plenty big enough to hold all sorts of bath products.

Luggage tags would be a fun & practical gift. I've seen serious ones and whimsical ones by googling "luggage tags".

Do you use the hand blender onboard? Sounds intriguing...

Get Fit Update: DH & I have been going to the YMCA every day since joining. It's only been 8 days so there hasn't been any noticeable changes...yet.

We have our annual Christmas Date tonight - going to a fabulous restaurant that's all Tudor, old wood, huge fireplace and decorated w/ fresh greens. Oh yeah, and food to die for!! ...I'll avoid the scale for a couple days.

How Do You Control (or not) Your Weight this time of year??

It's all about fitting into those cruise clothes.

I will try my best to eat sensibly, but if there's a seasonal treat calling my name - I'll eat it, just not LOTS of it.

Knowing a cruise is coming in less than 90 days will help the self-control. Feeling good in my clothes is worth more than the taste of all the food available during the holidays;).

Indiana71: Thank you so much for mentioning the mesh shower caddie!!! I just ordered one for our upcoming cruise since there will be three of us using one shower, one of which is my teenage daughter:eek: so now we will have enough room for US in the shower :D

I just finished reading through this thread for the second time since August of last year when I read it to get ideas of what I needed to do to prepare for our first cruise scheduled for the end of March. Recently I started re-reading it to take notes on what I needed to remember or purchase!! I made my first spreadsheet last weekend and have been shopping to find those must have pieces. Although I usually have a tough time finding things I like, I have had GREAT luck recently and think I may have everything I need for me...now to focus on the DH. He is a little harder because he is trying to lose weight so he can zip line with our DD and I in Antigua so not sure what size will fit him when the time comes ;).

Thank you so much Indiana71 for starting this thread and congrats on it's one year anniversary AND success :D

Indiana71: Thank you so much for mentioning the mesh shower caddie!!! I just ordered one for our upcoming cruise since there will be three of us using one shower, one of which is my teenage daughter:eek: so now we will have enough room for US in the shower :D

My DH wasn't sure we needed that mesh caddy until after his shower the first day on board ship. He changed his tune completely.

We also brought a nightlight that I plugged into the outlet in the bathroom, that was really nice to have.

Another tip I picked up here was the multi-plug outlet. That also worked great, except when our cabin steward ran over the cord for the camera battery charger with his vacuum cleaner. Fried the outlets in addition to destroying the charger cord. So, keep those cords off the floor ladies!

Thanks Indiana71 for starting this thread. It's been fun and useful

mamacruiser2012: You are the perfect student of CCF!! Taking notes, making a spreadsheet and posting a photo of a skirt that is made for cruising:)! Thanks for the nice comments!

There have been several helpful links posted here and 6pm.com is one of the best! It's so much fun when you find clothes you love;)!

naxie nee!: We take a nightlight, too. Thanks for the reminder! I also pack an LED clock so waking up during the night, it's easy to simply glance at the time...and go back to sleep.

The other indispensible item in my travel bag is a magnifying mirror w/ suction cups. It's so nice to be able to see when applying eye makeup:cool:! Otherwise, without glasses; eyeliner, shadow & mascara could end up on my forehead:eek:.

Yesterday (in a near white out snowstorm) I stopped in the one and only boutique shop in town. Mostly winter mark-downs in larger sizes, very few spring things. There was 1 dress by my favorite designer, Joseph Ribkoff...thank goodness it wasn't my size since I don't NEED another...

I did buy a small Vera Bradley shoulder bag. It has the same colors as a sundress I'm wearing to dinner, and will go with some land-based outfits, too.

Edited by indiana71