Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

On the ziploc subject - I do it for organization & speed, but usually only when we cruise with the kiddos. It's easy to just toss all those bags in the dresser with the day of the week and their name on it once we get in the cabin on the ship - then we dont have to lay out clothes for them each day/evening. They also put the dirty clothes back in them, then put the bag back in the suitcase under the bed.

Hmmm... maybe I should do that for DH? :rolleyes:

Tanning - I have used Mystictan and love it. The 2 things you have to be careful of are using the blocker cream correctly & getting in chlorine after you do it. For the blocker cream - make sure you put it on your elbows, knees, toes, hands - everywhere they tell you to... trust them! :) It lasts about a week, and I would stay out of a chlorinated pool the first 48 hours.

RazorbackBelle - I totally understand your frustration! When I had to lose my baby weight, (and now when DH is on his pre-cruise diet), what has worked really well for us is the high protein, low carb diet with a cheat day built in. Basically no "white" stuff (sugar, bread, pasta, rice, breading, crackers, fruit). and then you eat as much as you want of meat, beans & veggies. One day a week you get a cheat day & go nuts - eat whatever you want all day. For both DH and I this has resulted in about 30lbs lost in 30 days. We didnt do any crazy workouts - just walking. If you want to read more about it - it's called The 4 Hour Diet, you can google it.

try changing up what you are doing, your exercises, what you are eating, etc - the smallest change can make a big difference!

How many calories are you eating a day? 2 years ago i lost 50 pounds in around 3 months and what helped me was keeping a low cal diet (1200-1400 cal/day) for 6 days each week and having one "off-day" each week where i could eat up to 2400 calories. It helps your body understand that you are not starving so it will not conserve calories.

Anthomaniac:

I re-read my previous post and realized that it was rather misleading. Although I did lose 25 pounds the beginning of last year we had a family crises last June which was followed by my mothers health deteriorating until her death New Years day, so my focus was on others, rather than myself, for 7 months. Luckily I was able to maintain my health and weight loss during this time and after a self imposed zombie period in January I began to focus on losing the remaining 25 pounds.

I agree with your theory that starving yourself is not the way to go. I try to make sure I eat at least 4 times a day and my choices are healthy ones i.e fresh/frozen vegetables and fruit, low fat dairy, lean meats/protein and little to no processed foods. Since I just resumed my exercise regime a month ago I haven't seen much change yet although I have lost about 6 pounds. I have also stepped up my exercise program to include my exercise bike in addition to yoga and strengthening....5 days a week this week YIKES :) Soooo, although I was not happy with my impromptu trying on of clothes the other day I do anticipate less lumps, bumps and overhang in 6 weeks :D (trying to keep this fashion related):o

On that note I found a darling black leather wristlet for the formal dinners at Target the other day and then yesterday I found a cute little white cross body bag for excursions and nighttime fun at e-bags!!!!

Finally, I am struggling with having to wear clothes over my swimsuits for two of our excursions. Since I am WAY to old and no longer have the body to wear a bikini I typically wear a tankini with a skirt bottom or a dress style suit so I would not be able to wear shorts over either. One excursion is a combination land and sea with time at the beach and the other is a combination of zip lining and beach time. I could probably get away with wearing a beach cover up over my suit on the land and sea one but would not be able to do that for the zip line one. Would it be a fashion faux paux (sp?) to wear shorts with a dress style bathing suit (the shorts would fit under the dress part and the dress part and top would be like a long shirt over the shorts???

A few years ago I also started packaging outfits together in their own ziploc bags. Everything for the outfit, except for the bra and shoes goes into the bag.

I either roll the items, or I fold them to a little smaller than the measurments of the bag I am using - squish all the air out - and into the bag it goes.

A few years ago I had a bag get randomly searched at San Francisco Airport, and this made it so easy to repack my bag - and my undies weren't on display for the 1500 people in line at the security gate! :eek:

I use ziplocs for almost anything smallish as well - charging cables, batteries, medication, etc - everything goes into a bag with like items - makes for easy double checking of the packing list and super easy unpacking at the destination.

:D

We do this also! It was really helpful for so many reasons. I should own stock in Ziplock at this point because I use them (and re-use them and re-use them!) so much for non-food use.

I pack my jewelry in a small "tupperware" container with a screw top lid. I only pack what I am definitely going to wear, but I don't separate it by outfit at that point. Exceptions: my "good" jewelry all have individual velvet pouches that I then pack together as a group of pouches in the container. I'm a fan of the classics, so I have one very good strand of real pearls that I got at an upscale consignment shop (with decent fake pearl studs). I have one diamond tennis bracelet that goes with everything. I have a set from Ann Taylor that is all very large uniformly-sized round rhinestones (earrings, necklace, and bracelet) -- I will own this set forever and I get so much mileage from it. I always pack a few statement necklaces and a variety of bangles. Always pack my silver "ball" studs and the matching necklace and bracelet, although I rarely wear everything matching. These days, the trend is to mix things up. :)

I also don't put undergarments with the specific outfits -- those all get packed together in a semi-opaque little zip lace bag meant for washing the same items.

All of you who have talked about losing weight (and so many more who read but don't post) - it sounds like you are working in a sensible & healthy way. I'm not a nutritionist...but 30 years ago I lost 35 pounds and have kept it off. Wedding day weight in 1964 was 105 (I'm 5'1"). Baby weight didn't go away and my eating habits were deplorable.

It doesn't take a complicated diet. Just increase the veggies, decrease portions. Move more. It takes diligence and sometimes we slip (I have 2 more to lose from the 5 I gained this winter).

BUT - being healthy is the first priority of a CCF!

mamacruiser2012: Beach coverups are the perfect accessory over a swimsuit when taking a break from the water.

Wearing shorts with your swimsuit top as a long shirt makes good sense for your activity. Good choice:cool:!

Anthomaniac:

On that note I found a darling black leather wristlet for the formal dinners at Target the other day and then yesterday I found a cute little white cross body bag for excursions and nighttime fun at e-bags!!!!

Finally, I am struggling with having to wear clothes over my swimsuits for two of our excursions. Since I am WAY to old and no longer have the body to wear a bikini I typically wear a tankini with a skirt bottom or a dress style suit so I would not be able to wear shorts over either. One excursion is a combination land and sea with time at the beach and the other is a combination of zip lining and beach time. I could probably get away with wearing a beach cover up over my suit on the land and sea one but would not be able to do that for the zip line one. Would it be a fashion faux paux (sp?) to wear shorts with a dress style bathing suit (the shorts would fit under the dress part and the dress part and top would be like a long shirt over the shorts???

Congrats on your purse find! I also found a white cross body puse yesterday (talk about coming down to the wire here!). It doubles as a wristlet when the long strap comes off. Love multipurpose accessories!

Re your zip line combination - IMO fashion faux pas's can alternately be seen as fashion forward moves!! More important thing for active wear is comfort and safety! If it feels good and you are comfortable wearing that combination - who else should care! On these multi activity shore excursions I think practicality has to take precedence and that sounds very practical! Who said cruise packing was easy!

If you have a TJMaxx near you, I was in there at lunch yesterday and they have the cutest flip-flops that are cruise themed! I would have snapped them up but they were red, and I have nothing in my wardrobe to match... sadly. :( They have gold anchors on the soles, and little white and gold life preservers and anchors that dangle off the straps - wish I would have snapped a photo!

Quixotic: Sounds like you have jewelry packing down to a science! Like you, many other posters use little containers &/or plastic bags for each item. I've seen jewelry bags for traveling & jewelry rolls but they aren't practical. It's much easier to have individual packages rather than a big bag on cruise ships w/ limited storage.

And you bring up another interesting fact - We once bought a matching set of earrings, necklace & bracelet. That was easy! Now, we must be more creative and mix & match.

Lace Bag for unmentionables - another good idea! Thanks for sharing:)!

snowbirds2: I love your advice RE multi-activity excursions: If it feels good and you are comfortable wearing that combination - who else should care! On these multi activity shore excursions I think practicality has to take precedence and that sounds very practical!

The Fashionista thing must take a back seat to safety, practicality and comfort when doing different activities while on an excursion.

DivasDare and CactusGirly: Marshall's & TJ Maxx are made for CCFs:cool:! Prices are good, styles are varied. When we find a "perfect (fill in the blank)", it's a good feeling:)! Thanks for reminding us about these kinds of stores.

Hi! Would love to hear what everyone is packing for casual wear!:D I have the diningroom down pat!:D Will be taking 2 coctail dresses for formal nights, a pair of black dressy capris with 2 different tops, 1 maxi dress, and 2 casual dresses. I am also taking 4 swim suits with 4 cover-ups, 4 sets of workout clothes. Shore excursions are beach related, so will wear swimsuit with cover-up which is a beach dress. Now trying to decide if 3 pair of nicer shorts with tops and 2 pair of capris with tops is enough? :rolleyes: Last time I so over packed!:eek: Would love to pack less this trip! Also may take a pair of white jeans a 2 tops! Would love some advise!

I came up with the idea to pack things that are interchangeable.

Like I'd pack tank tops that can be worn during the day and also can be dressed up with a nice blazer or sweater at night, assuming that you don't get all sweaty during the day.

Hi! Would love to hear what everyone is packing for casual wear!:D I have the diningroom down pat!:D Will be taking 2 coctail dresses for formal nights, a pair of black dressy capris with 2 different tops, 1 maxi dress, and 2 casual dresses. I am also taking 4 swim suits with 4 cover-ups, 4 sets of workout clothes. Shore excursions are beach related, so will wear swimsuit with cover-up which is a beach dress. Now trying to decide if 3 pair of nicer shorts with tops and 2 pair of capris with tops is enough? :rolleyes: Last time I so over packed!:eek: Would love to pack less this trip! Also may take a pair of white jeans a 2 tops! Would love some advise!

For formal, I have 2 cocktail dresses and am looking for 1 gown.

For casual nights, I have a few summer / lightweight dresses, a couple skirts with tops, and I may add in an outfit with capris for a cooler night. I'm trying to not repeat many outfits even though it's a 12-day cruise. I will be wearing jeans for embarkation with a sweater because we're leaving from northern NJ in March so it will be cold, and will probably pack 1 extra sweater in case the first full sea day (and the last full sea day on the return) is cold as well.

For days, I will have a few pairs of shorts with tops, and at least 3 different swimsuits with different cover-ups.

This is our very first cruise, so I'm a bit more towards wanting to back more than less, because I don't know what to expect and I want to have everything I'll need.

Good to know - I'm in the final "elimination" stage of packing (we leave next Thursday) and I always wonder how much other people take! I'm usually a chronic over packer and I'm trying to reform! Flying's not as easy as it used to be!

How long are you going for? We have ten nights with two formals. The formals were the easiest to plan for! One short dress one long and using same shoes and purse for both.

For daytime I'm taking three pairs of shorts (I bravely put the fourth one back in the drawer today!) and one pair of capris (which I'm going to travel in snow or no snow at this end!) and assorted t shirts and tank tops which are pretty much mix and match. Also putting in a light weight long sleeved gauzy white shirt to cover up my arms should they get too burned. And a hat! We are doing a combinations of sightseeing/shopping/walking/rainforest/hot springs soak/beach excursions. Bit of a challenge to pack for!

Just found a comfy pair of "sensible" Clarkes sandals in a beige/grey tone which go well with the shorts and capris - got to have happy feet!

Packing three swim suits - one is a tankini - with a turquoise pareo that will go with all of them and a longer white hooded cover up. Have a sundress that can also be used as a cover up.

Smart casual evenings have been a bit more of a challenge - going to take my white dressy capris and three different tops and four dresses - two of them are sundresses that I can also use during the day. Adding a short sleeved white cardigan to wear over them and taking a white wristlet and white heels. Might add black sandals/ purse and a black bolero just to change things up. Thinking about also adding a warm pashmina if there's still room in the suitcase! All probably more than I need! Haven't even thought about the work out clothes yet except to wear my running shoes for traveling. Got to lighten that suitcase somehow!

I'm fascinated by the Process CCFs go through to choose What To Wear. I have a friend who takes black & white basics and adds different accessories, sort of like LEXIpoo, who wants interchangeable pieces.

jacksmom09 is trying to select daytime outfits, and RedInLove follows my mantra of not wearing the same thing twice.

Flying limitations obviously impact what goes (unless you don't mind paying extra $$) and LEXIpoo's style works.

Those of us who drive to the port have it easier. DH & I will be taking 2 large suitcases, 2 garment bags and 1 carryon - not excessive IMHO. We'll be gone 11 days. With 2 outfits a day + swimsuits, that's at least 22 outfits.

jacksmom09: You asked: if 3 pair of nicer shorts with tops and 2 pair of capris with tops is enough? I would say Yes, if you have several tops. Tops are more likely to get food spills or sweaty, so don't be too concerned about overpacking - they don't take up much room and you will be sure to have plenty to wear.:cool:

I had my sister over tonight to try on clothes, so I have a good idea what needs to be altered. I also know what items I'll forego in the case that my seamstress can't get everything done in time, or if a particular dress I think will need more work does indeed need it and/or be too costly.

The 2nd long gown I posted came in and won't work as I'm no longer a 16yo going to prom. :) But I tried on an older gown I had from military formals long ago, and it's pretty close to fitting, should work with a few adjustments. I'm also going to pull out a couple skirts and tops, get the rest of my shorts together when DH gets our 5th wheel back in to town this coming week, and then I'll start putting the jewelry with the final outfits.

I found a white and yellow short sleeve button-down shirt at Old Navy for DH this week, and have to get his dress shirts in to the cleaners along with his suit. He said I can pick what he wears on formal nights to coordinate with my dresses, so I have to get on that soon. DH is otherwise responsible for his own clothes, which he'll figure out in all of 5 minutes. So he's also in charge of putting together our own first aid and medical kit.

I just did all my trying on yesterday, with accessories, etc.. I had that spreadsheet all planned out, but alas - what is planned on paper is not always what works in reality! :rolleyes: I ended up making several (many!) changes after putting poor DH through a seemingly never ending fashion show.

It just goes to show, you can't plan everything on paper - you have to try things on! :)

For casual clothes - I am bringing maxi dresses & sundresses only. This is the first cruise where I am only bringing one pair of shorts - for a shore excursion. I just find the dresses to be more comfy, and it's a whole outfit all in one - so easy to pack. On the plane I will wear a maxi dress with a cardigan (keeps your legs just as warm as pants). The only other clothes I bring are my cocktail & formal dresses for dinner, and my workout clothes.

RedInLove: You bring up an interesting subject - co-ordinating outfits with DH for formal nights.

QUESTION: How many of you co-ordinate outfits for formal night?

We have never intentionally planned His & Her outfits...but admittedly, in photos, it makes a better picture when we don't clash, i.e., when DH wears a black tux, white shirt and a tie & pocket square that is in the same color family as my dress.

CactusGirly: This could have been my line: I ended up making several (many!) changes after putting poor DH through a seemingly never ending fashion show.

That's exactly what happens here:p! Poor DH hears numerous times: "Which looks better - these shoes or these shoes?...these earrings or these earrings?" Kudos to ALL DHs who patiently give their opinion!

I saw lots of maxi dresses last summer and expect they will be the go-to outfit for lots of CCFs. Like you said "it's a whole outfit all in one - so easy to pack. "

Yesterday I made a list of each type of item on my spreadsheet:

Assorted tops (daytime, evening) - 20

All shoes - 13

Bras - 13??? (color co-ordinated with tops)

Pants (1 dress, 4 casual) - 5

Purses (evening/day) - 8

Shorts - 7

Evening coverups - 5

Capris - 4

Dresses (2 formal) - 4

Skirts - 2

Swimsuits + coverup - 3

Glasses - 4 pair

Hoodie - 1

Cardigans - 2

Indiana - you are a woman after my own heart... 13 bras, one to match each color top. That made my day! :p

Yes, God Bless the DH's who put up with our fashion compulsion.

We are planning to coordinate for one of the formal nights. DH is bringing his black suit, and he will bring a tie that coordinates with the burgundy dress I am wearing one night, (the other formal night my dress is black, so he can wear whatever color tie he likes).

We are at 13 days and counting! Still making clothing changes though, which is frustrating. Both long dresses I bought won't work, and the gray/black cocktail dress and grecian blue dress won't work either. I'm very busty, and there's just not enough height in the bust of the gray, even though it's a v-neck, to hold me. The blue one just doesn't look right.

Good news is, I did have an old long gown in my closet that fit pretty well, and is at the seamstress now along with a few other dresses for some minor bust/armhole adjustments. I also had another cocktail dress I wasn't going to bring this time, but I rotated that in to replace the grecian blue. Also, since I now have a long dress, I will have a good selection of shorter dresses to browse when I go looking for a replacement to the gray/black dress.

Found a pair of Skecher shoes today, they're sort of like sandals with all the cutouts but slip on my feet covering the heel, with no straps to adjust.

I'm now working on jewelry for the clothes that didn't go for alterations, and will finish the rest when I get them back from the seamstress.

And I even managed to get some of DH's dress shirts into the cleaners, and I found him a nice short-sleeve button shirt at Old Navy I think he would wear with shorts or khaki's. Now if I can just find his suit he swears is here so I can get that to the cleaners as well.

I think three pair of shorts would be fine for 7 nights, especially if they are neutral colors. I packed 4 pair for 10 nights, and I honestly hardly wore them. At most, for a few minutes in the morning to get breakfast and then on a couple of excursions, but could have substituted sun dresses or swimsuit coverups on the excursions since all our excursions were beach/water related. Even when we got back on board after excursions, we usually went to the jacuzzi. I wished I had packed as many workout outfits as you are planning, because we worked out a lot and I had to re-wear the three I packed several times.

RedInLove: Now aren't you glad that you didn't wait until the last minute to start putting outfits together?!! And if you hadn't tried on those dresses...and packed them only to discover they didn't fit...:eek:! A seamstress can work wonders, and thank goodness you are remaining calm and have replacements:cool:!

You're setting a good example for CCFs everywhere!

I took a dress to my seamstress today. It's one that has gone on a couple cruises but I've never been completely happy with the fit. The dress is a halter-style and across the top of the back, it has elastic that puckers. My seamstress said "The dress is too big. It needs taken in so it lays flat." She's the best around and knows exactly how to make a garment look it's best.

Don't ever be reluctant to go to a seamstress!

Okay, so DH & I went to visit his sister in her new house in a great neighborhood - within a couple blocks there is a main street with a fantastic ladies apparel shop, 2 consignment shops, a Starbucks, and a couple really good restaurants:). Of course, I went shopping...and bought a dress that I don't need...but will be (yet another) perfect choice for a casual dinner night.

So RedInLove, I'm swapping outfits, too! A cotton sundress with matching shrug is back in the Cruise Closet. The new dress is black jersey (no wrinkles), off the shoulder, and has a couple flounces on the bottom - black, white, pink design. So...the yellow shoes that would have gone with the sundress are out of the suitcase. The black slides will go with The New Dress and jewelry has been chosen. Whew!!

I will NOT buy anything else for this cruise, I will NOT buy anything else for this cruise...

Edited by indiana71

RedInLove: Now aren't you glad that you didn't wait until the last minute to start putting outfits together?!! And if you hadn't tried on those dresses...and packed them only to discover they didn't fit...:eek:! A seamstress can work wonders, and thank goodness you are remaining calm and have replacements:cool:!

I took a dress to my seamstress today. It's one that has gone on a couple cruises but I've never been completely happy with the fit. The dress is a halter-style and across the top of the back, it has elastic that puckers. My seamstress said "The dress is too big. It needs taken in so it lays flat." She's the best around and knows exactly how to make a garment look it's best.

Okay, so DH & I went to visit his sister in her new house in a great neighborhood - within a couple blocks there is a main street with a fantastic ladies apparel shop, 2 consignment shops, a Starbucks, and a couple really good restaurants:). Of course, I went shopping...and bought a dress that I don't need...but will be (yet another) perfect choice for a casual dinner night.

So RedInLove, I'm swapping outfits, too! A cotton sundress with matching shrug is back in the Cruise Closet. The new dress is black jersey (no wrinkles), off the shoulder, and has a couple flounces on the bottom - black, white, pink design. So...the yellow shoes that would have gone with the sundress are out of the suitcase. The black slides will go with The New Dress and jewelry has been chosen. Whew!!

I will NOT buy anything else for this cruise, I will NOT buy anything else for this cruise...

:D I love that line... "I will NOT buy anything else for this cruise...". I need to practice that mantra, because I found the cutest black shrug to wear with a black maxi dress... had to have it... then our cruise critic group decided we would wear mardi gras beads to the sail away... and while I am getting those you know I will find something else I can't live without. :o

YES, I am so glad I tried everything on first for fittings! I pretty much have to do this with anything I buy, but I've not had this much to alter at once. I know I'm going to be stress free on our cruise because of it, too!

So we need to see a picture of this new dress you found!

Can feel the cruising excitement in the air here!! Did a last dash through the shopping mall today and stopped myself from impulsively store hopping to find that one more piece of clothing I don't need! Going to save that urge for ship and shore shopping!

I'm in the middle of packing and really appreciating all the good advice I've scooped up here over the last few months! Have become a zip lock bag convert! Really helped me get organized ahead of time as I stacked all the filled bags in the "cruise clothes area". And thank heavens I started early and made multi lists and spreadsheets - sure takes the stress off. So nice to see everything finally coming together after all the months of planning. Have decided not to worry too much if my evening clothes getting too wrinkled - just going to make use of the on board pressing service - built that into the cruise budget.

Will peek back in here when we are back - in the meantime to those also about to cruise - have a wonderful time!

Found a cute top $15 down from $70. Was looking for something with sleeves to wear in the evening after I read the dinning rooms tend to be cold. Best score so far and I put it with my cruise clothes. Will wear with black dress slacks, black espadrilles or gold thongs and belt. Have yet to try the whole outfit on.

LOVE this site.