Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Hey Nancy, You looked so good in all your outfits! I may put some of pics online:) Love the pic of you and Bill!

Geo: Thanks! We had a great trip to Wilmington. Shoulder surgery tmw. and then we will be getting ready for some RVing to Va. Beach. Hope for speedy recovery!

Our next cruise is February but we have 2 more trips to the beach and I love to dress up at night...so I will use CCF ideas:)

Will enjoy watching as you guys travel and post pics of fun outfits. Peggy Edited by plank

[quote name='plank']Hey Nancy, You looked so good in all your outfits! I may put some of pics online:) Love the pic of you and Bill!

Geo: Thanks! We had a great trip to Wilmington. Shoulder surgery tmw. and then we will be getting ready for some RVing to Va. Beach. Hope for speedy recovery!

Our next cruise is February but we have 2 more trips to the beach and I love to dress up at night...so I will use CCF ideas:)

Will enjoy watching as you guys travel and post pics of fun outfits. Peggy[/QUOTE]

Glad that you like Baltimore. Right now I have my finger in a splint for another two weeks or so and then the Dr will see if the finger needs surgery. Like you I am also have shoulder surgery. Mine is on 8/1.
I hope that you have a speedy recovery. I had my other shoulder done about five years ago. The best thing I ever had done.

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]No, I don't consider myself a "fashionista" BUT - I love planning [I]every[/I] detail of [I]every[/I] outfit. When all the work is done before SailAway, so much time is saved onboard. I would LOVE to hear what other like-minded clothes-lovers have to say![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Surely, there are others out there who love the tropical clothes and enjoy the process of planning and the comfort of knowing each outfit will be interesting, fun and appropriate??? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]It has nothing to do with pleasing strangers on a cruise ship, but rather the same kind of self-pampering one gets from having a really good mani-pedi or massage.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]In a spare bedroom I assemble every possible clothing item, shoes, jewelry, accessory; then start to build outfits for each occasion. The first is for travel to the ship and (usually) SailAway the same day. We've been leaving out of Baltimore recently so there's no overnight stay in Florida.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Every outfit gets tried on - under garments to accessories - assessed, tweeked and put into a spreadsheet for each occasion. Sometimes DH is consulted - "Which shoes (earrings, top, etc.) looks better?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]When it's time to pack, every item gets ironed the day before and layered in the suitcase(s) with tissue paper. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Surprisingly, I only take 1 big suitcase + a carry-on - and a big purse.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
I can't believe that i didn't write this... I do the very same thing even down to my "stylist" husband giving me input.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]What a happy place this is:)! Proves that cruising and an interest in looking our best is a popular subject.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]plank[/U]: So good to hear from you! Keep checking in and PLEASE post photos - we [I]love[/I] photos here at CCF![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]awlpa55[/U]: Wow! You're the first to come forward to say DH is the clothes horse:cool:. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Having 2 people share a stateroom when both bring several changes per day could be a little challenging...but then if MY DH decided to pack a couple suitcases that would be a good time to move up to a Junior Suite with all that closet space...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]harrodsfan[/U]: There are many here who plan in great detail [I]every[/I] outfit. I am pleased to read that you, too, are a bonafide CCF! Welcome to our thread and please add your suggestions and comments.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Below is an example of how an outfit (this one's casual) comes together. The Ralph Lauren tank top could go with any bottom so it gets picked for almost every cruise.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I found the Bandolino shorts at Goodwill. The color is the same as the Caribbean.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]The Naot sandals are the big splurge here - but totally worth the $100+ cost because they are the most comfortable shoes and pass the look-good test.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I like to carry a crossbody purse on excursions and have been looking for a white one. Apparently, white is not an "in" color; but when this Anne Klein was on sale at Macy's, I was happy to make the purchase.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][IMG]http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C3%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3565%3B59%3B66335nu0mrj[/IMG][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Next is a partial view of our closet. It looks crowded in the photo, but really isn't too bad...I'm thinking of [U]awlpa55[/U] and wondering what it would be like if DH had more clothes...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[IMG]http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B89%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3565%3B5867%3B335nu0mrj[/IMG] Edited by indiana71

Hi all, I am enjoying this thread. I received a $200 Macys gift card that I am going to spend on cruise wear for my January trip. Lots of bargains to be had this time of year.
I pack for my DH. He doesnt like to dress up cause he dresses up for work every day. So tee shirts and bathingsuit/shorts for day and for night he wears his dockers with a collared polo shirt. I wish he would wear sandals with his shorts! We are married 23 years and I would guess thet I have bought him at least 23 pairs LOL. He says his calf hurts from flipflops and the slides he cant keep on his feet and he HATES the gladiator looking ones. ANY IDEAS??
We dnt take formal pictures anymore. After approx 15 cruises we already ahve too mnay of them! i have one from when I was thinner thats in my bedroom that I love and I doubt I would love any new ones more! :D

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][U]boopsahoy[/U]: Welcome to CCF!! You're a veteran cruiser and we look forward to any suggestions, etc. you offer:cool:.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]My DH wears water shoes from Land's End all summer, not just for cruising - in fact I don't believe he's ever worn them in the water. They're lightweight, lots of mesh, look more like tennis shoes. He has them in 3 colors! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I had a 9 AM appointment with a new stylist @ a salon I haven't visited in years. She was very meticulous about getting the color exactly right and cutting a style I like...but the appointment lasted FIVE HOURS:eek:. Never before has a stylist spent so much time asking questions every step of the way. We even went outside with a mirror so the color could be seen in natural light!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Yes - I like it...and so does DH. My last stylist used color that was several shades darker than it should have been. So the extra time was needed to do 2 color applications to get rid of the brown.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]And I made the next appoitment! She promises that next time I'll be out in under 2 hours:).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] Edited by indiana71

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][U]boopsahoy[/U]: Welcome to CCF!! You're a veteran cruiser and we look forward to any suggestions, etc. you offer:cool:.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]My DH wears water shoes from Land's End all summer, not just for cruising - in fact I don't believe he's ever worn them in the water. They're lightweight, lots of mesh, look more like tennis shoes. He has them in 3 colors! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I had a 9 AM appointment with a new stylist @ a salon I haven't visited in years. She was very meticulous about getting the color exactly right and cutting a style I like...but the appointment lasted FIVE HOURS:eek:. Never before has a stylist spent so much time asking questions every step of the way. We even went outside with a mirror so the color could be seen in natural light!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Yes - I like it...and so does DH. My last stylist used color that was several shades darker than it should have been. So the extra time was needed to do 2 color applications to get rid of the brown.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]And I made the next appoitment! She promises that next time I'll be out in under 2 hours:).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

For a time in my life I was a hairdresser. I all way said it takes two people to do a head of hair. First the hairdresser second the client. There needs to be lots of talking about what the client wants. And looking at the color in sun light is a great way to tell if you would like it. At time when I had a new client who wanted lots of change in a hair cut. I would cut it to the longer side of the cut and have her look at it and then cut it again if she wanted more off until we would get it right. I would charge for only one cut. Once it is right then you have a client for life!

Can we please see pictures of your new do? Edited by geocruiser

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I'll post a photo from the Last Cruise and one showing the New Hair (color has changed more than style), but it probably won't be for another week. We'll be taking lots of photos then, it's our Family Vacation at the Lake:cool:.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Outfits are more casual at the lake - we don't have any formal nights![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I'll post a photo from the Last Cruise and one showing the New Hair (color has changed more than style), but it probably won't be for another week. We'll be taking lots of photos then, it's our Family Vacation at the Lake:cool:.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Outfits are more casual at the lake - we don't have any formal nights![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Enjoy the lake. I am looking forward to your photos. Do you wear a hat in the sun to protect the hair color?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I don't wear a hat even though it's a good idea. I'm not in the sun for long periods (as proven by only a slight tan). Shade is my friend whenever it's available.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]How about the rest of you? Do you wear a hat to protect your hair? Whether it's color-treated or not?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Only wear them when going for a ride in the car when the top is down. Otherwise they look very dorky on me and I am not in the sun here in Yuma that much anyway. When it is 118 degrees you try to stay indoors as much as possible.:D

I don't wear hats at home, I have big ears (a family trait from my dad's side! At least as a woman, I have long hair to cover them up:p). I do take a floppy hat with me when I cruise though. I like to wear it on deck and to the beach. It's white and cute, and don't think I look too bad in it. I know I have a pic somewhere, I'll try and post it later. I use it to protect my face from the sun, and It makes me feel like I'm on vacation. My husband on the otherhand, is addicted to his baseball cap and wears it everywhere, all the time! Maybe I'll try and introduce him to the fedora.

I'm actually surprised more of you don't wear hats. when I think of cruises, I always think of women in floppy sun hats and flowing skirts and floral prints. Haha. I don't know where that image came from, maybe that's just me!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Well, the verdict is in. The vast majority don't wear hats. Some are even adamant about not liking them:eek:. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]smariba[/U]: You are the lone [IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon14.gif[/IMG] vote. I agree that thinking of cruising can conger up a vision of floppy hats and flowing skirts - I kinda like the idea...Unfortunately, at 5'1", long skirts are too overwhelming...and hat head can be an issue, not to mention how windy it is on deck. I've seen men with tight fitting ball caps have them whisked right off their heads![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Going for a pedicure today has been on my To Do list for a couple weeks. The salon is owned by an Oriental family and they don't take appts. You have seen photos of the toenail art...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]This morning, as I approached the salon, the gate was still down and no lights were on...then the sign on the easel just inside read, "Family Emergency. Will not open until August 6". :eek::eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Now what do I do??? Didn't go into crisis mode, took a deep breath and called the salon my DDL's & I are going to next week while on vacation. Switched my mani to a pedi...but it's doubtful that I can get a design:(. Maybe a package of stickon designs will look okay...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]QUESTION: Do you use the packaged nail stick-ons? I've never paid much attention & know nothing about them..[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

QUESTION: Do you use the packaged nail stick-ons? I've never paid much attention & know nothing about them..[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I've used them. They last about a week for me before they start to flake off. But they are super easy to stick on and they look good at first!

A clear top coat of nail polish over design adhesives may give them a little more staying power.

I have used a clear top coat over tiny crystal adhesives and had them last for two weeks. Maybe I just got lucky! :) Edited by 01 Cobra

I use the stickers and two coats of top coat. Lasts about 2 weeks for me. Just be careful and slowly peel them off the sheet. Once I get it off the sheet I use tweezers to position it on my nail. Make sure your nails are completely dry before applying.

Lisa

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Thanks to all of you who responded to my nail stick-ons question. I'm going to buy some and will decorate my big toenail & add a top coat. If the salon has someone who can do a nice design - I'll give the stick-ons to my granddaughters! Everyone wins:).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I can't leave smariba out there by herself!

I wear hats. A new hat is one of my quest items for my cruise. For vacations and just days in the sun, I have my trusty Columbia river hat. Blue, packable and with an adjustable strap. My last vacation hat is a fuschia grosgrain ribbon hat from Anne Taylor that I bought to wear to an ex-boyfriend's wedding. I'm looking for a white or neutral hat that will be easier to pack. My last shopping trip was a bust.

My SO wears a Tilley. Rocks baseball caps on bad hair days.

Most of my neighbors would never garden without their hats. They run the gamut from baseball caps to closer to Sunday church hats.

As far as nails go, I usually just have the DIY pedicure. Today, however, I have pink glitter nails as a gf and I went to a manicure and martini night last night. Fun concept but long wait. My gf got the Lizard color. I don't do designs or add ons, but might in the future.

I am another hat person. I have the brick red version of the Columbia hat and I love it! If I am out in the sun, then the hat is on. It dries out quickly and is not hot. I also rock my fedoras...straw in the summer and wool in the winter.

Lisa