Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I just finished packing for our cruise on the Allure this Sunday. We leave for FL tomorrow evening. We will drive half way, stop overnight, then continue on to Ft. Lauderdale Saturday morning. Do some sightseeing and watch the Oasis depart Sat. evening.

This is my first time using the spreadsheet. I did pack 2 extra tops and I did throw in a windbreaker. We could have rain for the sail away.:( Can't do anything about the weather.

I have picked up a lot of great tips on this thread. Thank you everyone. Now it's time to relax with a glass of wine.:)

I admit! I'm guilty of makeup hoarding as well! I have at least 50 lipsticks and glosses. The sad thing is I barely use any of them! I have at least 2 chapsticks in every bag, in my car, my husbands truck, at work! I wear lipstick once or twice a month. I want to love it, but my lips are so sensitive and get very dry. I do have a gloss that I love, not sure what brand, but it is a sheer purply/pink and I absolutely love it! The reason I have so many is that I am constantly looking for "The one." That perfect lipstick that feels great and is the perfect shade. I used to use a l'oreal lipstick that smelled amazing and was very moisturizing but didn't last very long. Maybe I should try that outlast that FROUFIE was talking about, I have 1 but only used it once. I didnt like the color. Too pink.

This topic has inspired me to clean out (or at least attempt to clean out) my vanity and ditch all the old/unused makeup!!

I too have close to 15 or 20 glosses and lipsticks.... I may wear one once every 4 months....I too don't like the feeling on my lips. So I think I'll just go throw all the oldies out...along with all the older than a year makeup..... thanks for the advice!:)

I leave for the Alure at the end of Nov. This is my first cruise in over 10 years. Others in our group either cruises often or they have never cruise before. I find that I'm the only one talking about packing lists and wanting to preplan excursions and dinners. This board and especially this thread gives me exactly what I need.

Yesterday at Macy's I found the cutest swimsuit. Regularly over $150 for both pieces, I got it for $9.99 each and I had a $10 off coupon bringing my total to $17. The swimsuit is actually a very pretty turquoise but it didn't show up like that on the picture. I don't have a cruise room but I am placing all my items in one central area and I will be starting on my spreadsheet this week. Very excited!

bef2bf5b.jpg

I leave for the Alure at the end of Nov. This is my first cruise in over 10 years. Others in our group either cruises often or they have never cruise before. I find that I'm the only one talking about packing lists and wanting to preplan excursions and dinners. This board and especially this thread gives me exactly what I need.

Yesterday at Macy's I found the cutest swimsuit. Regularly over $150 for both pieces, I got it for $9.99 each and I had a $10 off coupon bringing my total to $17. The swimsuit is actually a very pretty turquoise but it didn't show up like that on the picture. I don't have a cruise room but I am placing all my items in one central area and I will be starting on my spreadsheet this week. Very excited!

bef2bf5b.jpg

Love the swimsuit!! Tankinis are my favorite, they are the only kind I will wear! :)

Cute suit! I love the ruffle detail at the top, and turquoise is my all time favorite color.

Wow! We CCFs are all over the board RE lipsticks:eek:. Everything from TNGALOHA with the most, smariba, a close second; down to Maddycat with ONE!

CELTICGIRLCRUISER: Thank you for your professional advise!! We love it. I'm going to make the effort to find a Chanel or Dior color. (Those brands aren't available locally, but I made a note for our next Minneapolis/Mall of America trip.)

dgh203 and AkitaJoy: Envy-time!! Going on Allure soon. Oh, to be cruising with you on that fabulous ship:cool:!

Let us know how the spreadsheet worked. And dining room dress, and formal nights, and casual days...AkitaJoy: Your swimsuit is gorgeous! And what a bargain, too:)

Ladies' Home Journal, October 2012: "I Broke Up with My Yoga Pants" is a great read! I'll post a few of the highlights and you can judge for yourself.

"Americans have been dressing casually for the past decade...we seem to have hit new lows in recent years. There's been a shift in what we think is 'appropriate' to wear in most situations (says Virginia Postrel, author of Glamour Decoded. It wasn't long before the once-distinct wardrobes for work, weekend, church and special occasions started to blur together. Soon sloppiness was actually in style."

The author goes on to say, "Last winter I realized I was tired of looking like a blob. I replaced my shapeless clothes with inexpensive dresses that were full of personality....In my attempt to change the way I looked, I wound up transforming the way I felt about myself. Why did I think that how I looked didn't matter?

You could probably wear jeans to church, the theater, special occasions (like the cruise ship main dining room - my addition) - but does that show respect? Aren't they worth the effort?

When you look good, you feel more capable, competent and confident. Who doesn't want that?

If people ask what I'm dressed up for, the answer is: I'm dressed up for me. I like myself enough to think I'm worth a clean, neat outfit and shoes that aren't rubber flip-flops."

She ends by saying: "Life is a cabaret, and I don't want to walk through draped in sweatpants and a hoodie. I, for one, want to wear pearls."

The article was 3 pages long but those are some of the points Sarah Hepola (who formerly wore hoodies and yoga pants) made and I say....

BRAVO:)

Edited by indiana71

Ladies' Home Journal, October 2012: "I Broke Up with My Yoga Pants" is a great read! I'll post a few of the highlights and you can judge for yourself.

"Americans have been dressing casually for the past decade...we seem to have hit new lows in recent years. There's been a shift in what we think is 'appropriate' to wear in most situations (says Virginia Postrel, author of Glamour Decoded. It wasn't long before the once-distinct wardrobes for work, weekend, church and special occasions started to blur together. Soon sloppiness was actually in style."

The author goes on to say, "Last winter I realized I was tired of looking like a blob. I replaced my shapeless clothes with inexpensive dresses that were full of personality....In my attempt to change the way I looked, I wound up transforming the way I felt about myself. Why did I think that how I looked didn't matter?

You could probably wear jeans to church, the theater, special occasions (like the cruise ship main dining room - my addition) - but does that show respect? Aren't they worth the effort?

When you look good, you feel more capable, competent and confident. Who doesn't want that?

If people ask what I'm dressed up for, the answer is: I'm dressed up for me. I like myself enough to think I'm worth a clean, neat outfit and shoes that aren't rubber flip-flops."

She ends by saying: "Life is a cabaret, and I don't want to walk through draped in sweatpants and a hoodie. I, for one, want to wear pearls."

The article was 3 pages long but those are some of the points Sarah Hepola (who formerly wore hoodies and yoga pants) made and I say....

Thanks for the interesting read, Indiana!! I have to say this article really fits ME this year. In the past I've had one or two summer dresses that I mostly just wore at the lake. This summer I became dress/maxi dress/maxi skirt obsessed, and I have no intention of reigning it in! I bought several of each and find myself throwing one on to run to the grocery store, or if DH and I are headed out to grab a quick pizza, etc. He asked me once early in the summer why I was getting dressed up to grab a quick burger at the local pub and I told him a) I wasn't dressed up, and b) that it was for me.

The way I dress really does change the way I feel, no other reason. Oh, not to mention, they are SOOOOO COMFORTABLE!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my yoga pants and still wear them at home (and they look pretty good, I don't do slouchy sweats). I'll even still wear them to run errands as the weather turns cooler, but it doesn't have to be a daily uniform.

Thanks for the interesting read, Indiana!! I have to say this article really fits ME this year. In the past I've had one or two summer dresses that I mostly just wore at the lake. This summer I became dress/maxi dress/maxi skirt obsessed, and I have no intention of reigning it in! I bought several of each and find myself throwing one on to run to the grocery store, or if DH and I are headed out to grab a quick pizza, etc. He asked me once early in the summer why I was getting dressed up to grab a quick burger at the local pub and I told him a) I wasn't dressed up, and b) that it was for me.

The way I dress really does change the way I feel, no other reason. Oh, not to mention, they are SOOOOO COMFORTABLE!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my yoga pants and still wear them at home (and they look pretty good, I don't do slouchy sweats). I'll even still wear them to run errands as the weather turns cooler, but it doesn't have to be a daily uniform.

I also made an effort to step up my appearance last spring...ditching the usual shorts/capris/jeans...for more dresses & skirts...and I've loved it!

Great article Indiana....some really good points.

Went to the theater with my son last month (havent been in years) and dressed up (because that's how your suppose to go, right?)....wow, people where dressed in everything from jeans/t-shirts to long gowns.

Today I had jury duty & was told to dress in smart causal....wow, people have lots of ideas what that means....lol.

DH & I have a date this afternoon - senior citizen movie and then dinner. Dress pants, sweater and wedges will be the outfit du jour.

The restaurant is a new brewpub with a nice menu. We'll see sweatshirts & ballcaps...and I guess that's appropriate for a weekday, it's certainly acceptable to many. BUT, I'm on a date and even though we're an "old married couple", it's nice to have DH say, "You look good."

This weekend we're going to a lovely wedding - outdoors at a beautiful setting (a hunt club). Weatherman says it will be mid 70s and sunny. My granddaughter said, "Wait till you see my ball gown!" ...the next generation just might go back to serious fashion:)! I'll let you know what the ladies are wearing...

.... BUT, I'm on a date and even though we're an "old married couple", it's nice to have DH say, "You look good."....

I've noticed DH "noticing" what I'm wearing a bit more and I appreciate the attention! I had on a dress last week that would work during the day to teach then transition easily for the parents' open house. I've worn it several times this summer but I guess DH has been working each time I had it on. Anyway, he looked at me, then looked again, and said "Maybe you should change dresses, the dad's won't be paying attention to your presentation!" :D Keep in mind that this dress was COMPLETELY APPROPRIATE for me to wear to my middle school setting!

Indiana--Thanks for posting. I have been noticing that casual has been getting more than casual as each year passes. I for one hope the dressier trend continues. I like to dress up when we go out for dinner and/or a movie. I feel special and confident. I also notice I wear jeans less often. And t-shirts are for lounging at home.

I found that well worded. It spoke volumes. I don't try to impose my opinions on others, but I too care about how I look, even if I'm running to the grocery store to pick up a few things. You can be comfortable and look good at the same time.

A cruise is a great departure for me in that instead of wearing work clothes, I can wear pretty dresses, and plan out my outfits. I absolutely love the process, and I feel so much more confident when I know I look good!

This is a great topic, because as a society we have gotten very lax in the way we dress. I'm from a small town (about 4,000 people). The closest "city" to us is 40 miles away and has about 35,000 people. It is a small farm town and as you can probably imagine, people are far from dressed up. I do my best but am always out of place, even in a nice blouse! It isn't uncommon to see people at the store in rubber boots covered in cow manure :(

Which is why I love cruises so much. It's a chance to embrace who I truly am, and dress to the nines! And leave this little country town behind :p

Granted...it would be nice to see a little less sweat pants and a little more sun dresses at home.

This is so true. I try to fix myself a little when I go to the store. I find that even if I am wearing jeans if I put on jewelry, nice shoes and handbag,it dresses me up some.

If I am going shopping for the day, then I get dressed up more.

I feel better when I look better.

This is a great topic, because as a society we have gotten very lax in the way we dress. I'm from a small town (about 4,000 people). The closest "city" to us is 40 miles away and has about 35,000 people. It is a small farm town and as you can probably imagine, people are far from dressed up. I do my best but am always out of place, even in a nice blouse! It isn't uncommon to see people at the store in rubber boots covered in cow manure :(

Which is why I love cruises so much. It's a chance to embrace who I truly am, and dress to the nines! And leave this little country town behind :p

Granted...it would be nice to see a little less sweat pants and a little more sun dresses at home.

I use to state in a town like yours in upstate NY called Arkville. It was beautiful. But I remenber the boots on people.

Edited by geocruiser

I definitely sympathize with small town posters - that's me, too:eek:. We're in a college town, an hour from Pittsburgh. Going out to dinner almost always means there will be ballcaps and t-shirts.

It's not that we feel superior to hard-working farmers and anyone, for that matter, who works in a less-than-pristine area. Heck, you should see me when I'm weeding the bushes or planting the garden!!

But, as females, it's in our nature to want to "dress up" on occasion - and cruising gives us that opportunity:cool:!

It's heartwarming to read the positive posts:).

We went out to dinner at a pub here in town last night with some friends.

I wore a nice beige blouse and dressy blue capris and white sandals and had my hair fixed and makeup on. I also had a small but nice necklace and earrings on and the first thing out of my husbands face was "What ya' all dolled up for?" I looked at him and said because we are going out aren't we? He decided he wouldn't change out of his work clothes(nice slacks and a button down shirt).

He did however change to sandals from his dress shoes.

When we got to the friends house to pick them up they were in their shorts and t-shirts and they came to the car like that. All they could say was wow don't you look nice!!

In all fairness I have to say tho that they are in the process of moving to Germany so most of their dress clothes are already shipped and they were doing the last few things before they leave tommorrow.

When we got to the pub you saw everything from dirty tank tops and cut off shorts to us being the most dressed up there.

I have a funny story to tell eveyone.

I take care of my 2 year old granddaughter and today when she came over she had on a cute little pink dress with knee length tight pants and she looked adorable.

Mind you when she came over at 9:30 we were already at 95 degress. She walked in with her jacket on.

When I asked her why she had it on her response was "Well Nana I have a dress on and you are posed to wear a jacket with your dress!!!"

When her mom came to pick her up at 2:20 it was 106 degrees out--Yes she still had to wear her jacket, and she was upset because her pink pants had gotten messed up and I didn't put them back on her after her nap.!!!

Yes you might say she is my fashionista! :D

Have a great day everyone

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

Holy Cow!!! I was "just browsing" through RCI's December cruises and found one (10-Night Caribbean) and mentioned it to DH...He said, "I'm ready to cruise again, let's do it!!":cool::) So now I'm going to look for the thread for the December 3, Explorer of the Seas.:cool:

TNGALOHA: Your pub story could easily be one I (and probably many CCF posters) relate to. If others in restaurants aren't concerned with their appearance, it's their prerogative...but what's important is how WE feel about OUR appearance.

I love your granddaughter's style sense!! In a couple years, she'll be posting here;)!

Holy Cow!!! I was "just browsing" through RCI's December cruises and found one (10-Night Caribbean) and mentioned it to DH...He said, "I'm ready to cruise again, let's do it!!":cool::) So now I'm going to look for the thread for the December 3, Explorer of the Seas.:cool:

TNGALOHA: Your pub story could easily be one I (and probably many CCF posters) relate to. If others in restaurants aren't concerned with their appearance, it's their prerogative...but what's important is how WE feel about OUR appearance.

I love your granddaughter's style sense!! In a couple years, she'll be posting here;)!

Great news that you booked a cruise. I left once out of NYC in the winter. It was on a 13 night cruise on Home Lines Oceania. I recall the ship was 28,000 tons. Very small ship back then. It was in the late 1970's. The seas were pretty good going down the coast.

Geocruiser: I am about 3 hours north of Arkville. Now I'm wondering if you can go through any small town in upstate NY and experience "the boots" Haha

Indiana - I agree with you about not being superior, just in our nature to want to look nice. And some farmers in our town don't care about their appearance and others you would never tell they were farmers. My best friend used to own a farm and would work hard and be covered in poo but would always dress nice (and smell nice :D) when she left the barn. She is actually quite the fashionista, with a very unique and daring style!!

I'm glad this was started though because 2 years ago I would never leave the house without doing my hair and changing my outfit 3 times. Haha. Maybe it's marriage that's changed me, but I found myself going to the store in sweats a few times recently!! EEk... what's happened to me!!! Haha. Now that the weather is colder I can break out my sexy boots!

After being so happy with myself for my improved self image and wearing dresses to school a LOT this year, today the slug in me showed its face! :eek: With trying to get everything ready for our cruise IN TWO DAYS while having everything ready at home for DD and our puppies, trying to get sub plans put together for a full week, staff meetings and 75 other things going on this week, I'm exhausted and the students are seeing the real me today....

Yep, you guessed it! Yoga pants and a Green Tea hoodie, tennis shoes and the hair in a ponytail! At least I still have makeup on so no one has asked me if I'm sick! :p