Dawn Jan 28, 2011 9 Day Southern Caribbean Review (Long & Detailed)

Dr. Jack Daniels

thanks for the review...

we're on this cruise in March and I can't wait!! Cleveland weather has been pretty cold this winter!

One quick question... we have two adjoining balcony cabins on deck nine- what is the balcony furniture? Two chairs? A chair and a chaise?

thanks!

We had two chairs and a small table.

Thanks for the great review. Was on he rin October, and as others have said, was our best cruise yet. Matt, Hugo and all the crew were great. Just sad we have no cruise scheduled on her right now.

Al

Glad you enjoyed it.

Hugo left after the cruise just previous to ours. A woman replaced him (sorry name escapes me) but she was friendly and very visible. She stopped by our table during dinner at Le Bistro and chatted. Maybe someone from our sailing can post her name if they remember.

We also do not have any cruises booked on the Dawn. But I plan on rectifying the situation. Pretty sure were going to do the 11 Day Southern Caribbean on Feb 15, 2012 on her.

Pat

Glad you enjoyed it.

Hugo left after the cruise just previous to ours. A woman replaced him (sorry name escapes me) but she was friendly and very visible. She stopped by our table during dinner at Le Bistro and chatted. Maybe someone from our sailing can post her name if they remember.

We also do not have any cruises booked on the Dawn. But I plan on rectifying the situation. Pretty sure were going to do the 11 Day Southern Caribbean on Feb 15, 2012 on her.

Pat

Her name was Rosita from Uruguay.She was very friendly and we chatted with her many times on this cruise.She is the only female HD and her story is very interesting,I believe she's been with NCL for about 15years.

Great review, Dr Jack D. I was also aboard this trip and will only add to take in the brunch at least once. Jose' and Patti performed the entire time and I enjoyed my 3rd perfectly prepared Le Bestro filet mignon of the cruise....along with a great selection of smoked fish. Also do not miss the Farewell Variety Show...the world famous "Fountains" alone is worth the price of admission. Matt Baker is simply the best. I do not know when I will again cruise, but I will be looking for whenever/wherever Matt might be.

Rich

Glad you enjoyed it.

Rosita :)

Rosita is temporary....she fills in while the HD is on vacation. Hugo left, Rosita fills in until the next HD comes aboard. (I forget which one it will be)

HD has to be the most difficult job on the ship and Rosita is only on any ship for 8 weeks at a time. Just when she gets to know all the names of all her crew and gets to understand the rythm of that paricular crew, it's time for her to move on to the next ship.

I think she's amazing. :)

...the world famous "Fountains" alone is worth the price of admission.

Don't want to confuse anyone...there is no cost to see any of the shows on board but I agree 100% that Fountains is always awesome!! :D

Pat

Guess this means we will be sailing together again!!!!

You have to do Calabaza in Barbados with us, you'll love it

What a great review! Thank you!

We are booked on the Dawn for our 11 night cruise out of Miami in Nov. 2011, and our cabins are also on Deck 9 but Midship (after the dry dock configerations). We have read, and read and read...review after review; yours is definitely the most balanced and realistic. Thank you so much.

We have been to most of the ports you mentioned, and we are looking forward to re-visiting each and everyone of them.

Thank you once again for a great review.

I was also on this cruise, and agree with virtually everything. A couple of additional points:

- Cagney's had the best meal ($25/person).

- Internet access was crap; Wifi in public areas only on decks 7 & 12, plus internet cafe on Deck 9. HORRIBLY slow. On my last cruise (Carnival Miracle), Wifi was available shipwide, and was quick enough to Skype our kids. Not this time. Hopefully this will be resolved in May when the Dawn goes into drydock.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I had to go searching for a review of the dawn and glad I did.

This is one of the nicest reviews I've ever read had to bring it forward for others to read.

This is my first time booked for NCL and I know I'm going to love it!

Thanks

Dr. Jack D.,

Thanks for the nice review. We are considering a similar cruise, but we are not interested in going to the beach. We live in South Georgia on an island and can go to the beach any day.

What else is there to do on these Caribbean cruises?

Dr. Jack D.,

Thanks for the nice review. We are considering a similar cruise, but we are not interested in going to the beach. We live in South Georgia on an island and can go to the beach any day.

What else is there to do on these Caribbean cruises?

I'm not the Dr. but I was on this cruise with him.We are not beach people either so we found other interesting things to do.You should go to the "Ports of Call" boards for ideas.

In Samana we did the ATV tour and it was wonderful! The people of Samana were so warm and friendly and the countryside is beautiful.It is one of the best tours we have ever done.

In Tortola we did the Baths at Virgin Gorda.What an adventure.You do have to be somewhat physically fit to get through the caves and tight spots,but its so worth it.The beach there has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth!

In Barbados we did "Harrison Caves" and the Nature Preserve.Really cool stalagtites and stalagmites you see while riding on a tram. Apparently the entire island is honeycombed with them.The preserve was like something from "National Geographic".

We have been to Antigua a few times before,so we just walked around the town,shopped and had a few Wadadli's ( good beer).

St Kitts we went with a local and had a driving tour stopping at the Batik factory and the Fort.Beautiful scenery and lots of monkeys...they say there are more monkeys than people on the island..we saw lots and lots of them.

This southern Caribbean itinerary has been our favorite so far.9 days was just right for a cruise length and the Dawn and her crew were wonderful.

I had to go searching for a review of the dawn and glad I did.

This is one of the nicest reviews I've ever read had to bring it forward for others to read.

This is my first time booked for NCL and I know I'm going to love it!

Thanks

Daw!:o You just made my day!;)

Really awesome review Dr. J and it's really nice to have an honest appraisal of a lovely ship. I noticed that you loved Matt Baker and hoped to sail with him again. He is a fantastic CD. I don't know if you know it - I quickly scanned follow-up posts but Matt is now no longer with the Dawn. He has left with his bride to land-based ventures in one of the little islands of the Caribbean to head up a resort's entertainment. Per night is around 1500 I think. Sad to see him go.:(

Again, a great review :)

Archived