Cruising with an ipad

DKelley1391

I have only taken one cruise and am planning on taking an Alaskan cruise in June. I had a laptop along last time and was not too crazy about the wifi nor the cost. I was just wondering if anyone has used their ipad cruising and if they had 3G (att) if that worked at all?

Thanks

We had our Ipad's & an IPOD Touch on the Eurodam last October from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale. We only had the "pay as you go" 3G, so it only worked once we got back into the United States, and only then when we were in port. We couldn't get a good signal from the 3G when we were in the cabin, so we just walked out to where the elevators were and used it there. We made use of free Wi-FI when we found it. I think we only purchased the Wi-Fi package on the ship for the last day, because we were at sea for the last two days.

If you use the 3G in foreign ports be sure to turn off the roaming to avoid heavy charges.

I always keep my data roaming turned off and the phone just seems to know the minute I drive into the US and 3G is no longer available. Therefore if the 3G symbol is showing on the screen, I know it is safe to use data as I will be within my own package rates. I can use it anywhere in Canada.

It will be interesting to see how this works in the Yukon as we are taking the rail trip into Canada on our Alaskan cruise. Will the data be available as soon as we cross the border there? I'll have to check it out.

I checked on the price of an out of country data package and the charge was outrageous for not too many MB's. I forget how much exactly, because the discussion did not go much further. The cost of using data roaming without a package would be nothing short of ruinous. I have read horror stories of people who did not know about the charges and who wound up with bills in the thousands of dollars for a short vacation.

It is just much cheaper to use the ship's internet service although for people with a US plan the data service would be available in Alaska, I am guessing.

It will be interesting to see how this works in the Yukon as we are taking the rail trip into Canada on our Alaskan cruise. Will the data be available as soon as we cross the border there? I'll have to check it out.

If you are taking the regular White's Pass rail trip out of and returning to Skagway, you are in Canada for about 15-20 minutes. They move the locomotives from the front to what becomes the new front for the return trip. You are in an isolated portion of northern BC and I would not expect that you would get a cell connection.

I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about these things but you may be able to purchase a prepaid US SIM card for the IPAD. (Hello Callais!)

The rail trip is wonderful and the last thing I expect you will be thinking about is a data connection. Have fun.

Bodger

If you are taking the regular White's Pass rail trip out of and returning to Skagway, you are in Canada for about 15-20 minutes. They move the locomotives from the front to what becomes the new front for the return trip. You are in an isolated portion of northern BC and I would not expect that you would get a cell connection.

I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about these things but you may be able to purchase a prepaid US SIM card for the IPAD. (Hello Callais!)

The rail trip is wonderful and the last thing I expect you will be thinking about is a data connection. Have fun.

Bodger

I wasn't referring to a cell phone connection. I was referring to a satellite 3G internet connection for the I-phone.

Just long enough to check emails.

Thanks for the best wishes---we are looking forward to it.

• 3 months later...
I wasn't referring to a cell phone connection. I was referring to a satellite 3G internet connection for the I-phone.

Just long enough to check emails.

Thanks for the best wishes---we are looking forward to it.

The 3G connection is a cell connection -- not a satellite connection, just FYI.

We are receiving many complaints lately about connectivity for iPads on ships.

With a large amount of steel around you, the iPad antenna is not efficient enough to connect well unless you are outside, or located near a repeater antenna. In cabin wifi connections that work fine with a laptop rarely will work with an iPad.

We are receiving many complaints lately about connectivity for iPads on ships.

With a large amount of steel around you, the iPad antenna is not efficient enough to connect well unless you are outside, or located near a repeater antenna. In cabin wifi connections that work fine with a laptop rarely will work with an iPad.

On the Noordam last week my iPad connected to the ship's wifi best from the wifi area of the Crow's Nest. I could connect in my room as there was an antenna 4 doors down but it did have the best signal in the wifi designated area. It is good to be aware of where the antenna is located on your iPad as your case could be affecting the signal. By removing the iPad from its case and not holding it along the sides I have been able to get a better connection. Obviously turn off cellular data when travelling outside of the US. There is an app that works great for uploading pictures called Dropbox. Very easy and quick to use to upload pictures and I was usually able to upload 2 pictures per minute with this app using the ship's wifi.

diane

If you have an IPad... get the Camera Connector Kit.

I shoot all day, and then download / backup everything to the IPad. A much nicer screen to view your pics than the "Point and Shoot". I also have the video out cables, and connect it to the TV in the cabin... and I have an instant slideshow of todays travels!

IF YOU HAVE the right camera, that shoots video in MOV format, (NOT AVCHD) the IPad may play that too! (Very few point and shoots record in the right format that the IPad likes, do some research). Nice to have a backup of all my pictures as we travel, just in case of a memory card failure, or heaven forbid, you loose the card or camera.

re, roaming... Yes be careful. You don't really want to go with "Airplane Mode" as that kills both the phone AND WiFi. If you have great concern, pull the SIM card from the IPad / IPhone, and leave it in the safe. When you get back to home port (Or in an area you know for sure your carrier provides coverage, like AT&T in St. Thomas USVI), plug it back in!

If your "lucky", you may have a hot spot near your cabin, and you can WiFi connect (Try the Balcony :rolleyes:). Or, ask the computer center folk where the "Hot Spots" are, hopefuly, its near a bar!

Gary

And besides being a backup for pictures with the camera connector kit mentioned above, the iPad is a great way to send quick emails and the iPad's Kindle app is great for taking books along to read. Just be sure your books are taken out of the archived folder before you leave. I was planning to re read some favorites and forgot to remove them from archived items. I then had to use some of my precious internet time to un-archive them!

Diane

If you have an IPad... get the Camera Connector Kit.

I shoot all day, and then download / backup everything to the IPad. A much nicer screen to view your pics than the "Point and Shoot". I also have the video out cables, and connect it to the TV in the cabin... and I have an instant slideshow of todays travels!

IF YOU HAVE the right camera, that shoots video in MOV format, (NOT AVCHD) the IPad may play that too! (Very few point and shoots record in the right format that the IPad likes, do some research). Nice to have a backup of all my pictures as we travel, just in case of a memory card failure, or heaven forbid, you loose the card or camera.!

Gary

Agee completely! I got the connector as a present and it was well used on my recent Alaska trip. Good for show and tell on sea days.

re, roaming... Yes be careful. You don't really want to go with "Airplane Mode" as that kills both the phone AND WiFi. If you have great concern, pull the SIM card from the IPad / IPhone, and leave it in the safe. When you get back to home port (Or in an area you know for sure your carrier provides coverage, like AT&T in St. Thomas USVI), plug it back in!

You can turn WiFi on in Airplane mode. No need at all to pull the sim card.

Agee completely! I got the connector as a present and it was well used on my recent Alaska trip. Good for show and tell on sea days.

We also use the iPad as a depository for pictures. I also use the Goodreader app and store all kinds of maps, schedules and other information. Also now that you can get Rick Steves via Kindle, we have his books on the iPad as well.

Kirk

Archived