Decline in food quality on RCI fleet

CruizQueen

My personal favorite as someone said is Celebrity. I noticed that RCI changed to Celebrities meats not long after adding them. That seemed a step up and lost those long disrespected "ranch steaks". That dated me here.

I have to say... I have NEVER had any gourmet food on a cruise. I have had some REALLY good things over the years. No cruise line is totally bad. Princess food in NOT bad, just way to European for me ergo.... I don't like it.

While I've certainly never gone hungry on a cruise, I have noted that over the years as the menus change, they are offering selections made with cheaper ingredients (e.g., many more vegetable and pasta based items), lumping appetizers/soups/salads in a "starters" category in hopes that people will select only one as opposed to when they were set out separately encouraging diners to select from each category. I can remember having a choice of at least 3 different salads, now there is usually only one.

Having said that, I totally understand that they have to cut some things in order to keep offering the cheaper initial fares. If people want better food, they can go to one of the pay restaurants (although I've noticed of late they are cutting back in those venues as well). We have plenty of high end restaurants in our area, so don't feel the need for a real gourmet experience on a cruise but, yes, there is a difference now.

I agree with everything you said......my thoughts exactly!!

If the food is in such "decline" then how was it in the "good ol days"? Gourmet? :confused: Im glad Im a newbie and dont remember those days.

No it wasn't. I started cruising in 1986 and yes the food was better but not gourmet. At that time food was one of the highlights of cruising. The ships were smaller and the food budgets were higher but so was the cost of the cruise. The cost of our first cruise was $1500.00 per person for a 110 square foot standard outside cabin. You ate all three meals in the MDR at a set time. If you missed a meal then you were out of luck until the next meal. No room service or lido dining. There was a midnight buffet each night but it was still better to look at than eat.

As long as the cruise lines are filling ships week in and out they are not going to change anything. Right now RCI is not having an issue here. Someone mentioned gourmet in an earlier thread. No mass market lines that I have cruised have ever served gourmet food in the MDR and they do not advertise it as such. It's nothing more than mass produced banquet quality food. The only difference between the MDR and the Windjammer is that in the MDR, they slap the food on the plate, place a cover on it and bring it to your table. ;)

The other thing. Many people today want to cruise for as cheap as they can and those are the same ones that expect the gourmet quality. Those are the ones that need a reality check. Not going to happen on a mass market line but they will groan about it over and over.

Food was very good on my Dec. 5 Voyager OTS. Great prime rib, steak, and lamb. Remember, if you don't like it, order something else. I've tried the fish and it is hit-or-miss. I don't hesitate to say to the waiter, "I'm sorry, but this is not good. Can I please have xxxx instead?"

But, yes, food on all mainline ships is getting worse. On my last Carnival Ecstasy (Jan. 2010), the food was marginal. I still found enough good things to eat.

I would rather pay a little more and get better food, but that's me. I guess if we want 5-star quality, we need a Crystal or Silversea or other expensive cruise -- which I am not willing to pay for.

Of course you can always order something else on the menu if you aren't happy with what you originally order.

But I think you should be able to order a steak, get it cooked the way you like it and actually be able to cut it and chew it without asking your table mates if anyone has an extra set of teeth to help you out.:eek:

If most pax are like the ones on this thread then RCI knows it can serve just about anything and get away with it. If all people are interested in is eating food that merely fills you up..has marginal flavor..and is topped off with desserts that contain mostly gelatin and air then RCI is fitting the bill.:)

Of course you can always order something else on the menu if you aren't happy with what you originally order.

But I think you should be able to order a steak, get it cooked the way you like it and actually be able to cut it and chew it without asking your table mates if anyone has an extra set of teeth to help you out.:eek:

If most pax are like the ones on this thread then RCI knows it can serve just about anything and get away with it. If all people are interested in is eating food that merely fills you up..has marginal flavor..and is topped off with desserts that contain mostly gelatin and air then RCI is fitting the bill.:)

Or maybe those people you speak of just arent as picky as you nor continue to bash the food at every chance they get. :confused:

Why do you continue to sail with RC if you hate the food so bad? I think I would find another cruise line if I that disappointed in the food but thats just me :) I mean near everything you post here lately seems to be a dig at how inedible and grotesque the food is but yet you seem to keep going on Royal Caribbean cruises?

FWIW, I ordered the NY strip a few nights ago on Radiance and it was medium just as I ordered it and I chewed it just fine. No, it wasnt USDA Prime as you seem to expect but it was certainly edible and cooked to order.

Im not flaming you nor am I trying to be mean here. Im just curious is all.

Or, we just appreciate it for what it is and what it has always been, banquet food. We don't go in expecting fine dining, which you won't get when you're dining at the same time with 1800 other people. For fine dining, I'll go to a land restaurant. My favorite fine dining restaurant has maybe 15 tables in the whole restaurant and uses fresh, local, organic ingredients. There's no way a mass market line could replicate that.

Food is so subjective and I would never put someone down because they had a different opinion than I do about food. A co-worker just went to my favorite restaurant after winning a gift certificate. It's a place that has gotten top reviews from all the critics and is frequented by George and Barbara Bush. She didn't care for it at all and would rather go to the 99. That doesn't make her someone with no taste, it just makes her someone with different taste.

Whether I am dining at a fine dining establishment, a chain restaurant, or a cruise ship banquet hall, I will only eat something if I enjoy it, not just to stuff my face. To me, it's not worth the calories to eat mediocre food

I've sailed on RCI ships since 1994 and have tasted a steady decline in the food quality over the years. We were last on Liberty OTS last May and didn't even care for the speciality restaurants. Food quality was so disappointing to us that we hesitate to sail on them again (and I'm 1 pt. away from Diamond Plus!) Do others share our experience? We love the ships but when we're on a 2 week cruise, mediocre food is a real downer.

Any recommendations for future cruises/cruise lines??:confused:

It's hard to believe that a person who's one point away from Diamond Plus is all that unhappy with the food!

If you're genuinely unhappy, you can do two things: 1) Let the company know your thoughts. 2) Vote with your dollar and go elsewhere. You'll accomplish nothing on this board.

We have been cruising since 2005. We are diamond on RCCL and have also cruised on other lines. I have always found the food in the MDR to be fine. I do not expect a gourmet experience. I have always been pleased with the selections and quality. There seems to be little difference, if any, between the quality on our latest cruise versus our first cruise. There may be fewer options but the difference is not noticable and certainly not a deal breaker. Oh, and by the way, the prices we paid then are not much different than the prices we pay now. What exactly does the OP expect?

Or maybe those people you speak of just arent as picky as you nor continue to bash the food at every chance they get.

Why do you continue to sail with RC if you hate the food so bad? I think I would find another cruise line if I that disappointed in the food but thats just me I mean near everything you post here lately seems to be a dig at how inedible and grotesque the food is but yet you seem to keep going on Royal Caribbean cruises?

FWIW, I ordered the NY strip a few nights ago on Radiance and it was medium just as I ordered it and I chewed it just fine. No, it wasnt USDA Prime as you seem to expect but it was certainly edible and cooked to order.

Im not flaming you nor am I trying to be mean here. Im just curious is all.

:p...Flames on this board don't bother me a bit.

I've got quite alot invested in RCI...we cruise it often because it is the line of choice for the employees we treat. When we cruise alone we use X..Holland..Princess...

I think I and everyone else, who has noticed a decline in the food, are allowed to say so. We are all allowed to recount our experiences for other pax. That is the way this board works. I'm sorry if my honest assessment of the food on RCI doesn't sit well with you.:rolleyes:

We don't go hungry...we eat in specialties and eat alot while in port. I do lament the downward spiral of the food in the MDR because it would be nice not to have to plan meals other than those we've paid for when buying our cruise ticket. But since we enjoy good food, we do what we have to do in order to have good meals during our vacations.

If you happen to like the MDR that is wonderful for you.:) I'm happy for you...if people ask me my opinion of what the food is like I'm going to give it and allow them to make up their own minds. You might have noticed that more and more people are noticing the lack of food quality. They are also allowed to comment and give their opinions despite the objections of RCI cheerleaders.

The steak that was ordered by one of my tablemates on our last Freedom cruise..was inedible. She couldn't cut it easily and she remarked it was like trying to chew shoe leather. I don't think that is being "picky" as you call it.

BTW..if you are tired of reading my posts you can put me on ignore.:D;)

I just came back from my first cruise with RCI and I thought the food was fine. Not bad at all. Some things were pretty good. I always looked forward to the selection in the MDR. The only thing that I was disappointed in was dessert. That actually turned out to be a good thing for me because I have a wicked sweet tooth. Because the desserts weren't appealing, I didn't overindulge.

Very surprised that it took until page three on this thread for someone to mention Celebrity. They made their reputation on the quality of their food, and without exception the best food I've had on any cruise was on their ships.

Having said that, however, I've been cruising with RCCL since 1996, and have to say that I have not noticed an appreciable decline in food quality. I have noticed, however, some reductions or condensing on the menus, in particular with respect to the appy and salad selections. When I first cruised, I think there were as many appy selections as there are now appy, salad and soups combined.

But really, to me, as much eating as I do on a cruise ship (and I do a LOT!), I wouldn't give up cruising for a land vacation even if the food quality did decline. To me there is absolutely, positively nothing like standing on that deck, looking down seeing that amazing blue water go by. You just can't recreate that on land. Food is an important part, but only a part, of what I go on a cruise for.

I have seen other posts about this, and I agree. I think it is because they are trying to keep cruise prices down. We almost went to Chops on our last cruise (Serenade in Dec). I asked if it were possible to get the halibut and a small filet - kind of a customized surf and turf and was told no - unless I paid an extra $20. My belief, from day one cruising (on voyager), was that it was a gratuity you were paying, not a charge for the food.

Recommendations - NOT NCL. On our Hawaiian cruise, I couldn't wait to get off the ship to get a decent meal (and from what other family members reported the specialty rest. weren't much better). The service was also slow. Same menu pretty much every day. Even the hamburger was lousy (and how hard do you have to try to do that!). Princess - YES. Their MDR food is light years better than NCL and superior to RCL. High tea is served daily - butler serviced, with scones, desserts, finger sandwiches, fruits, etc. (not cookies, small desserts and beverage served in the windjammer). Only drawback, it's hard to eat an early diner afterwards. So many things tasted so good! They also have the MDR open when you board the ship. It beats trying to get a place to eat at the buffet (with the crowds). Don't get me wrong, they also have a very nice buffet. Their Wheelhouse Pub also was open for lunch on sea days and served great fish and chips along with other pub grub, so you had three main choices as to where to eat.

In general, Princess is very much like RCL used to be. Amenity wise we had toiletries (not a glued on soap/shampoo? dispenser in the shower) and turn down service with chocolates. In addition, they have Movies under the Stars with warm chocolate chip cookies and milk (cushioned lounge chairs and a throw blanket), sinfully wicked! There also seems to be more entertainment, in general, on board. It's worth paying a little bit more. Good experiences on the Diamond and Ruby Princess. check them out. I will continue to sail with Royal, but thanks to their Why Not campaign, I decided to try other lines (after all why not) and was very pleased with Princess.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective or preference. I have been on Royal twice and, most recently, Ruby Princess, and I enjoyed the food options and taste much better on the two Royal cruises.

Sailed on Allure on 23 jan. Food was great; I ate in MDR, Rita's cantina, Chops, Solarium Bistro, Central Park Cafe, Wipe Out Cafe, Sorrentos, it was all good; no complaints. In MDR, the soups were hot, the entrees were hot and tasty. Salads were cold, and desserts were delicious.

:p...Flames on this board don't bother me a bit.

I've got quite alot invested in RCI...we cruise it often because it is the line of choice for the employees we treat. When we cruise alone we use X..Holland..Princess...

I think I and everyone else, who has noticed a decline in the food, are allowed to say so. We are all allowed to recount our experiences for other pax. That is the way this board works. I'm sorry if my honest assessment of the food on RCI doesn't sit well with you.

We don't go hungry...we eat in specialties and eat alot while in port. I do lament the downward spiral of the food in the MDR because it would be nice not to have to plan meals other than those we've paid for when buying our cruise ticket. But since we enjoy good food, we do what we have to do in order to have good meals during our vacations.

If you happen to like the MDR that is wonderful for you.:) I'm happy for you...if people ask me my opinion of what the food is like I'm going to give it and allow them to make up their own minds. You might have noticed that more and more people are noticing the lack of food quality. They are also allowed to comment and give their opinions despite the objections of RCI cheerleaders.

The steak that was ordered by one of my tablemates on our last Freedom cruise..was inedible. She couldn't cut it easily and she remarked it was like trying to chew shoe leather. I don't think that is being "picky" as you call it.

BTW..if you are tired of reading my posts you can put me on ignore.:D;)

Wow! a little testy arent we? I find it rather funny how you can sit back and accuse people of being blind followers or a "cheerleader" because they think the food is ok yet get all defensive and go on some long tirade when someone calls you out on it.

We get it.......you dont like the food. I never said I was tired of reading your posts :rolleyes: I just asked you a honest question is all.

Enjoy your X, Princess and HAL cruises

Or, we just appreciate it for what it is and what it has always been, banquet food. We don't go in expecting fine dining, which you won't get when you're dining at the same time with 1800 other people. For fine dining, I'll go to a land restaurant. My favorite fine dining restaurant has maybe 15 tables in the whole restaurant and uses fresh, local, organic ingredients. There's no way a mass market line could replicate that.

Exactly but watch out! Bakincakes will label you as a RCI cheerleader if you arent careful! :rolleyes:

You're correct, you absolutely have every right to give your opinion on the food. However, you can provide that opinion without putting down the other participants in this thread as people who will eat anything just because they have an opposing view from you.

I am hardly an RCI cheerleader. Of the three lines I have tried so far, they have all been equal food wise, including Princess (which is still just banquet food). So far, I am not attached to any particular line.

:cool:MDR steaks are not as good as they were. More pasta is offered. Extra apps are not "volunteered" like they used to be. Lobster, if offered, is quite small. Quality is not the same. I personally would pay more for a cruise if they would make quality better. I enjoy MDR. I like the wait staff, and my tablemates. Not the same in speciality restaurants. Now that I have said that---I have a choice. I could move up to a better cruise line if I prefer. BUT, I like RCCL. I like the service, the ships, and the perks. So today, I stay. Maybe later I go. Newbees can't make a comparison. Cheaper fares has enabled more folks to cruise. Cruising is a great bargin, but the food is NOT AS GOOD as it was. It has declined:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

We have sailed on Celebrity, most recently last October on the Solstice.

We have noticed some changes (maybe would characterize it as a decline) on the Celebrity ships.

For example, they replaced their excellent Chateaubriand dish with a dish made of beef cheeks.

I know that beef cheeks are a new trendy thing, but really it is a tough piece of meat that can only be prepared by a long, slow braising process in order to tenderize it.

Bring back the Chateaubriand.!!

:cool:MDR steaks are not as good as they were. More pasta is offered. Extra apps are not "volunteered" like they used to be. Lobster, if offered, is quite small. Quality is not the same. I personally would pay more for a cruise if they would make quality better. I enjoy MDR. I like the wait staff, and my tablemates. Not the same in speciality restaurants. Now that I have said that---I have a choice. I could move up to a better cruise line if I prefer. BUT, I like RCCL. I like the service, the ships, and the perks. So today, I stay. Maybe later I go. Newbees can't make a comparison. Cheaper fares has enabled more folks to cruise. Cruising is a great bargin, but the food is NOT AS GOOD as it was. It has declined:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

You know, now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever even tried a steak in the MDR. People keep bringing up the steaks. I just wouldn't expect a steak in a banquet hall to be all that good anyway, so I've never bothered ordering one.

I definitely agree on the lobster tail. It was teeny tiny on my last cruise. At least it was still cold water lobster (even if they must have been caught in Canada, definitely not legal size for Maine). Still better than the warm water lobster I've had on other lines. :p

I really would love to see RCCL start to get their menu's improved and a little less emphasis on Indian food and more on continental cusine or have more ethic varieties that emphasis where the ships staff come from...there are so many countries represented on the ships. Why can't they consider offering more food from the countries we are visiting on our particular cruises. I do not need to have steak constantly but would love to have more shrimp, crab and scallop meals maybe...more stirfry options and more unique salads too! Really, I agree the desserts need major overhaul! Really RCCL please take some time to make improvements in these areas with your menu and food selection and I would be a betting woman here and say your repeat business from consumers will increase significantly!

CincinnatiGal:)

Newbees can't make a comparison.

I never made a comparison and you are correct in that I dont remember the "good ol days". Im just saying I have no problem with the food in the MDR. Its not the greatest but it certainly isnt "inedible" as some would have you to believe IMO. With that said, I dont expect "fine dining" on a 10 - 12 dollar per person per day food budget.

I have no problem with someones opinion on the food as long as they dont put others down as blind following minions just because they think the food is acceptable.

For me personally, if i thought the food was THAT bad, I would not sail with Royal Caribbean. To each their own though.

I too have noted that dessert choices are a bit limited. I haven't suffered though. I ask for a friut bowl or sometimes the cheese selection (European influence). Ice cream is now my favorite alernate selection. Vanilla with strawberries, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, caramel sauce etc.; vanilla, chocolate, strawberries, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, bananas...hey sounds a lot like a banana split! Bon Voyage!

....I wouldn't give up cruising for a land vacation even if the food quality did decline. To me there is absolutely, positively nothing like standing on that deck, looking down seeing that amazing blue water go by. You just can't recreate that on land. Food is an important part, but only a part, of what I go on a cruise for.

WOW!!!! Those words could have come out of my mouth!! Exactly the way I feel!

One week ago today we got off the Allure and we thought the food was great (we only ate in the MDR twice though!). We had MTD and checked out the menu for the week in advance, and chose to go on the days we liked what they had. I love lobster so lobster night went to the MDR. I was so surprised at the size of the lobster. It was really big (maybe I was just lucky!) DH does not care for lobster. He had the prime rib and he thought it was good. The service was excellent.

Archived