first time cruisers

arsenal4eva

Me and my partner are looking to go on a cruise for our honeymoon in june/july 2012. Were looking to goto the western med with rome our number 1 place we want to visit. our budget is £2332 (thats how much we will have come april next year when the price will need to be paid up in full) also we would like a all inclusive cruise. now my questions are is our budget good enough to get us a good cruise for a first time cruisers ? we would like to maybe not spend the full budget so we have some left over to add to spending money. when do summer cruises come out ? and will we get better deals if we book early ? what hoildays agents is the best ? and what site ?

You're a little early for the mid 2012 itineraries, they will be coming out over the next month or so.

Azamara have theirs out in full but so far they are the only line.

RCI...deployments on or about the following dates for 2012/3 itineraries...

Week of March 14

Northeast - Caribbean/Bermuda & Canada/New England

Week of March 21

Summer Europe & Transatlantic Cruises

Week of March 28

Summer Europe & Transatlantic Cruises

Week of April 4

Alaska & Australia

Week of April 11

7-Night Caribbean

Week of April 18

Bahamas & Short Caribbean

Week of April 25

Winter Europe & Dubai

August 2011

Asia

September 2011

Caribbean - Colon, Panama

Winter Europe

October 2011

Brazil

Costa come out on Feb 16, 2011 for December 2011 thru December 2012.

MSC are coming out by the end of the February and the rest should be following suit shortly thereafter. NCL have some of their 2012's out but not all.

Individual agents cannot be named here for legal reasons, so you would be best to shop around to get the best deal once the itineraries are all out.

Hi Arsenal, firstly, congratulations on your forthcoming marriage and, secondly, on your choice of a cruise for your honeymoon. It's a wonderful way to travel.

You mention 'all inclusive' in your post. As far as I am aware, the only mass market cruise line that offers AI is Thomson's. Occasionally it is offered as part of your cruise fare or, if not, you can purchase a package. I think it is £168pp per week and both partners must purchase it. We have cruised 28 times ...twice with Thomson’s. The Spirit was just OK. I would compare it to a poor end 3* hotel but The Destiny was awful. For us it barely reached 2* standard.

I would strongly recommend that you collect a lot of cruise line brochures and study them and also talk to a few Travel Agents. Rome is great but you dock at the port of Civitavecchia and it is a 90 minute road trip or 60 minute rail trip into the centre of Rome. My absolute favourite port to sail into and out of is Venice. I can't think of anywhere more romantic or beautiful although nearly all the Med ports have something special to offer.

Best wishes for a long and happy marriage and keep us informed of your progress. You will get some great answers to your questions on here. SR

Me and my partner are looking to go on a cruise for our honeymoon in june/july 2012. Were looking to goto the western med with rome our number 1 place we want to visit. our budget is £2332 (thats how much we will have come april next year when the price will need to be paid up in full) also we would like a all inclusive cruise. now my questions are is our budget good enough to get us a good cruise for a first time cruisers ? we would like to maybe not spend the full budget so we have some left over to add to spending money. when do summer cruises come out ? and will we get better deals if we book early ? what hoildays agents is the best ? and what site ?

Hi and welcome.

I think you have made a good decision about cruising.

As Ally says it is a bit early for details on Mid year 2012 cruises to be made available yet.

The One cruiseline that I know that does All Inclusive ( I take it that you want your drinks included) are Thomson's. If you book with them as soon as the cruises are first release they usually include the All Inclusive drinks package for free.

Unfortunately we are unable to recommend cruise agents or websites on this site. I would just do a quick search on google and compare the price with the High Street. Most of the High Street chains will match if not better the online prices these days (well they do where I live)

Thank you all for your replys. I think as it stands we are going to go through thomson's. They have told us that to come back april - may time. We are also leaning towards going with Island Escape as it seems like a boat that will fit us. Another question is it worth trying to get a balcony room ? my other half has her heart set on getting one. But as i keep pointing out to us we can save money on just having a outside room. Plus i keep saying like many others say. How long do you really want to spend in a cabin plus ive read that it can get abit cold at night around the western med ? So that brings me another question.... I no everyday is different but in june/july time what is the weather like in the western med ?

You may wish to look a Pulmantur who also do all inclusive in the Med, aimed principally at the Spanish market but English spoken throughout the ship, and, I understand, marketed in the UK. There is also an outfit called Happy Cruises that operates out of Valencia and I have heard good reports of both but have no experience of either.

With every good wish to you both for a long, happy and contented life together.

New Salt

(about to pass year 40 sailing on our anniversary)

Thank you all for your replys. I think as it stands we are going to go through thomson's. They have told us that to come back april - may time. We are also leaning towards going with Island Escape as it seems like a boat that will fit us. Another question is it worth trying to get a balcony room ? my other half has her heart set on getting one. But as i keep pointing out to us we can save money on just having a outside room.

I'm not sure that you will have the option of a balcony on Island Escape. All the Thomson ships are old, second hand ships and come mainly from a time before balconies became popular. Check with the deck plan in the brochure.

On ships that have balconies, we usually only book one if there are several 'sea' days and it is a hot part of the world. We then use the balcony for early morning coffee, chilling during the day and sometimes star gazing at night. Otherwise, on port intensive cruises where we are off the ship for long periods, we are perfectly happy with an ocean view or even an inside cabin. We use the extra money then to put towards shore excursions.

Plus i keep saying like many others say. How long do you really want to spend in a cabin plus ive read that it can get abit cold at night around the western med ? So that brings me another question.... I no everyday is different but in june/july time what is the weather like in the western med ?

The western Med weather in June/July should generally be hot and sunny during the day. It is usually cooler on the ship when it is moving because you get a breeze. There are sheltered deck areas but it is useful to have a jumper or light coat to wear if on deck in the evening.

Enjoy your planning and keep the questions coming!

We have cruised with Thompsons several times, and done all inclusive (AI). Thompsons are very British with excellent entertainment, I am not really sure that the AI is worth it, it puts you under pressure to drink your money's worth regardless of wether you really want to or not. As you have set your budget and say you want AI and possibly a balcony I am assuming you want a seven day cruise. Personally I don't think the balcony is worth the extra money but as it is your honeymoon I can see the logic. We used to book early for the early bookers discount however we usually book 4-8 weeks before now. There are so many ships in the Med during the summer months that you will have no problem getting a cruise. By the way Rome is magnificent, unless you are confident of travelling DIY you may be better taking one of the many ships cruises for Rome.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Arsenal - what a wonderful way to spend a honeymoon! You don't say whether you are happy to fly cruise or were thinking of sailing from the UK. I don't think your budget is going to stretch to a 14 night cruise though, especially if you want a balcony. The Western Med is beautiful most times of the year and in June and July should be hot and sunny, although Rome often gets sudden heavy downpours so pack the umbrella just in case! As the others have said - ge the brochures as bedtime reading and once you have an idea of what you want, then shop around. If you want a particular date it is best to book early. Late deals leave little flexibility.

Archived