Port cities to avoid.

SilkShirt

Are there any port cities you avoid for fear of being robbed?

We plan on not wearing ANY jewelry on our excursions and only bringing only a few dollars in cash.

I've heard the criminals are robbing cruise ship passengers more often these days. What ports will you just stay on the ship??

Here is an example with a happy ending.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2007/02/aptourist070223/

I don't know if any X ships are there now, but I will not go ashore in Jamaica. The last time we were there we were walking with our then 17 year old son and people approached him trying to sell him drugs. This was a couple blocks off the dock. Years ago we went swimming there and people swam up to us in the water and tried to sell us drugs (true story!). You can keep that island in my opinion - if I never see it again it is too soon. (which is a shame for all the good people who I am sure live there as well)

I don't know if any X ships are there now, but I will not go ashore in Jamaica. The last time we were there we were walking with our then 17 year old son and people approached him trying to sell him drugs. This was a couple blocks off the dock. Years ago we went swimming there and people swam up to us in the water and tried to sell us drugs (true story!). You can keep that island in my opinion - if I never see it again it is too soon. (which is a shame for all the good people who I am sure live there as well)

Someone offering drugs isn't a plus for any port, but if one was to boycott ports where you may be offered drugs, and if you are to stay true to your values, don't send your 17 year old to school. Virtually every high school in North America should be empty if they were held to those standards. :D

I don't put being offered drugs in the same category as being robbed or worse...

Crime can happen anywhere. Frankly, you may be at greater risk wandering around Miami or Ft Lauderdale in the evening pre-cruise than you will be at any point during your day time stop at any Caribbean port.

Well we were in St Kitts last year and we were offered weed.

Come to think of it we were also offered weed in Jamaica and Barbados.

Dominica was just a stupid dumpy little port. Diving was just OK I heard the rain forest was cool.

If your son is 17 he's had plenty of exposure to drugs and alcohol you don't have to avoid the country just because it has drugs... where would you move to? That's just silly. You should have more faith in your kid than that.

I wouldn't like to wander around downtown Colón really, it looks a bit dodgy. I wouldn't stay on the ship though; there are lots of great excursions.

Barcelona, seems to be the place for pickpockets. I personally know three people who have been robbed there. Fortunately though, violence is rarely involved. It's a fabulous city though and I've been there perhaps ten times without any problem whatsoever, touch wood.

Naples is a bit edgy, but the biggest risk is probably being run over.

And in the south of France, daylight snobbery is always a danger.

I must concur with the above.

I have been to a fair number of ports and never felt unsafe in any of them. This despite having been to some that seem to always come up on these types of threads including Acapulco, Cartagena (Colombia) and Colon.

Are there any port cities you avoid for fear of being robbed?

We plan on not wearing ANY jewelry on our excursions and only bringing only a few dollars in cash.

I've heard the criminals are robbing cruise ship passengers more often these days. What ports will you just stay on the ship??

Dear Silkshirt,

• Many of the same problems were there in the 1970s, and "port cities" should also include major cities such as Paris and London. Start with an internet and tourism forum review of "crime against tourists in (your specific port)." Don't act in ways that you wouldn't in a city such as New York or Chicago. The greatest threat is from pickpockets who target tourists. It is certainly impossible to not dress as a "tourist" -- funny, how the natives of Barcelona and many Italians dress like "tourists." Just look at those black I Love NY t-shirts and white sports shoes!
  • Prepare for pickpockets. Seriously consider security pouches with wire straps (around neck) to be worn under clothes (look at various products by pacsafe and similar items). Men should not wear wallets in back pockets; women should not put valuables in their purses (more like snacks and water bottles) -- be ready to give your purse up rather than fight for it (so use a beaten-up purse). If on a port day 6-8 hour outing (ship tour, private tour, or DIY) take only one credit card and limited money (if you find something you really want that costs money, you should charge it (not debit) and have it mailed home. Leave money for other ports, other credit cards, and often your passports in the cabin safe. Carry a copy of your passport with you at all times.
  • I think you are more at risk when you have multiple days, say before or after a cruise in a specific city or touring by yourself. We folks tend to be friendly and helpful. Look with distrust on strangers that approach you with a question or request for help. (After all what do you know?) Pickpockets usually work in multiples -- a person distracts, another removes. In many western countries pickpockets try to avoid violence as this guarantees police attention. Although you aren't wired for it, when approached by a stranger, just say "no, please go away." It usually works.
  • Depending on the port, being in a small touring group during the day time should make you feel safe. If you won't feel safe, I wouldn't avoid a specific port, I would avoid that complete itinerary.
  • Great topic -- will be interested in hearing other opinions and experiences.

When in the European ports know for pickpockets, we take all the sensible precautions and stay very aware of our surroundings. We have never been bothered at all. In the Caribbean, the one port I feel very uncomfortable in and will no longer leave the ship in is Jamaica. I felt this way 20 years ago and it's a lot worse now.

Archived