How to Pack

dm5201

Drycleaning bags or tissue paper between items that wrinkle badly will almost eliminate wrinkles! It allows the fabric to 'slide' and not set wrinkles.

Don't pack things into the suitcase 2 weeks in advance....

Dont' worry too much about creases or wrinkles....after you've had something on for 15 mins, they will begin to look "rumpled" anyway!

In addition to the dry cleaner bags (which I absolutely swear by for our hanging clothes in the garment bag), everything that goes into our carryons, is folded in half, and then rolled up tight. We rarely have any wrinkles and if you do, just turn the shower on to the hottest temp, let it run for a few minutes and stick your clothes in the bathroom on hangers with the door shut for awhile. The wrinkles will disappear! :)

#1 rule for packing--Take 1/2 the clothes you think you will need.

i also roll my clothes and have no problem. go too target in their travel size area. you can pick up a small spray bottle of wrinkle releaser for a couple of dollars. also i put my undies in the 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags ( that i only find at target ) , squeeze the air out of the bag and it compresses. then you have something too put your used undies in.

I like clothes that don't wrinkle in the first place--things like silky knits. Even my formal clothes are silky knits. Not only do they not wrinkle, but they don't take up a lot of space.

Also, while I don't suggest being sloppy, remember that everyone on the ship has the same issue, so a t-shirt or pair of shorts with a few wrinkles don't matter as much as you might think.

And, then, as others keep saying...roll, roll, roll.

I bring along a small empty spray bottle (about 2 oz size). What's useful is a travel-sized hair spray bottle that I've already used up and washed out thoroughly. After I unpack I fill the bottle with water, mist my clothing lightly and pat any wrinkles out. Works like a charm.

I don't know if you have one, but we use a suitcase/garment bag combination. It works both for my husband's shirts and suit, and my dresses and blouses. I used those thin wire hangers so I can fit more in, and I layered multiple blouses/dresses on one hanger. So far it worked well. Anything that doesn't wrinkle goes into the regular luggage. Unfortunately, I have no patience to roll the clothes.

Honestly I have cruised 10 times and traveled on business trips for years. I have an absolute block when it comes to being able to pack. I've tried the rollling and my clothes just wind up being a big long flattened roll. I've tried dry-cleaning bags. I've looked at the pictures and diagrams and I pretty much arrive with a bunch of wrinkles no matter what method of madness I use for each cruise. Someone invented Downey Wrinkle Release and someone else clued me in on this mesage board. I've also found that if I put them on hangers, steam them in the bathroom and/or use the Downey, they look pretty good. AND, I've found that no one knows me on the ship or in any of the ports...at least not well enough to tell me I'm wrinkled. I see people every day on every cruise that are as wrinkled as me. The other thing is that after a few days of eating all the food, the desserts, the ice cream, drinking the frozen drinks, the extra pounds I add, help smooth out the wrinkles as soon as I stretch my clothes onto my body. This is probably not what you wanted to hear though...sorry...take the Downey and steam them in the bathroom.

[quote name=dustyroad;27908251

also i put my undies in the 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags ( that i only find at target ) ' date=' squeeze the air out of the bag and it compresses. then you have something too put your used undies in.[/quote]

Zip lock bags here don't have volume, but their measurable dimensions on them. So what would be the same as 2/5 gallon?

I don't know if you have one, but we use a suitcase/garment bag combination. It works both for my husband's shirts and suit, and my dresses and blouses. I used those thin wire hangers so I can fit more in, and I layered multiple blouses/dresses on one hanger. So far it worked well. Anything that doesn't wrinkle goes into the regular luggage. Unfortunately, I have no patience to roll the clothes.

I think I know what you mean, but I've not seen them around lately. Can you send me a link to a picture? I heard that they are great. Is that what they used to call a Valpack in the '80s?

I have been traveling carry-on for years - one lost bag on a short trip can make you a convert. I use mesh packing cubes of varying sizes and load them firmly. Few or no wrinkles. Bags are available from travelsmith and magellan's (and I'm sure other travel specialty sellers).

I'm not suggesting that you use a carry-on for cruise travel but it can be done. The cubes hold an amazing amount! They are also easy for security checks because the contents are visible.

At the end of a recent 9-day trip to China, a fellow traveler asked how I had gotten my shirt and pants pressed. I was happy to say they had come out of the packing cube ready to wear. My husband is incredibly well pressed and he uses them too (he does add the filmy dry-cleaners bag to the pack however).

Ha! You mean I'm not the only one who uses zip lock bags for EVERYTHING??? I do the same with socks: squeeze the air out of the ziplock bags to save space. Also to keep documents or other paper things that could get wet. I also use ziplock bags (smaller ones) in place of a makeup bag.

Zip lock bags here don't have volume, but their measurable dimensions on them. So what would be the same as 2/5 gallon?

I think I know what you mean, but I've not seen them around lately. Can you send me a link to a picture? I heard that they are great. Is that what they used to call a Valpack in the '80s?

I haven't seen any around much either. I did a google search for "suitcase garment bag combination" to show you a pic of one, and a bunch came out. Amazon sells them too. So many varieties! If you can't find them online, let me know and I'll post some links for you to take a look.

Been using zip-locks for everything for years. Saw the tip on these boards and it works so well, not just for packing but for emptying the suitcase when you arrive in the cabin. Swipe out the drawers with a clorox wipe, toss in the zip locks and hang up in the closet and I'm finished. Ready to shower and get ready? Zip-locks are grabbed and you can easily see and pick out what you need. Jewelry? snack-sized bags by color, grab and go. Toiletries? no spills or mess. Dirty clothes are put into empty zip locks and dropped into the suitcase.No mess when re-packing on the last night and no time wasted from my last few hours on the cruise. Best tip ever. We are addicted to zip locks. Our shoes are even put into the zip-locks, including my Grandson's size 12 shoes (2 1/2 gal). We buy almost all of them at the dollar store.

Awesome ziplock tips!

I must admit, I don't put shoes in ziplock bags (I use plastic grocery bags that I then reuse as trash bags), but I definitely put my jewelry inside tiny ziplock bags (I get them at Michael's or any crafts store), as well as daily supplements, and even coins (especially Euro coins). Anything with the potential to spill, including wine & olive oil bottles also go inside sealed ziplock bags.

They're the best invention ever!! :)

Been using zip-locks for everything for years. Saw the tip on these boards and it works so well, not just for packing but for emptying the suitcase when you arrive in the cabin. Swipe out the drawers with a clorox wipe, toss in the zip locks and hang up in the closet and I'm finished. Ready to shower and get ready? Zip-locks are grabbed and you can easily see and pick out what you need. Jewelry? snack-sized bags by color, grab and go. Toiletries? no spills or mess. Dirty clothes are put into empty zip locks and dropped into the suitcase.No mess when re-packing on the last night and no time wasted from my last few hours on the cruise. Best tip ever. We are addicted to zip locks. Our shoes are even put into the zip-locks, including my Grandson's size 12 shoes (2 1/2 gal). We buy almost all of them at the dollar store.

Hadn't thought of using the zip-locks for daily meds or coins. Now I'll be using them even more. BTW, prior to the zip-lock packing, we flew from San Juan back from a cruise. We were one of the "lucky" ones chosen for our baggage to be inspected. One of my daughters is rather well-endowed. When the suitcase was opened, it was the one with all the dirty clothes, and several of her bras and few pairs of panties went flopping out onto the table then onto the floor in plain sight of EVERYONE :eek:. She was horrified. She's never packed without having those bras and panties inside the zip locks since then!!

Archived