Early or late booking

SMURF57

We have been getting very conflicting views regarding the + and - of booking early/late. We appreciate that with booking early you have some say in choosing your cabin - however other people say that you pay a premium - and its best to wait where the prices are reduced quite considerably.

Any views from seasoned cruisers would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance --

On most cruiselines, if you book early and the price drops, you can get a reduction in price, or a better cabin....

We book when we know we want to go....if the price is ok with us...we book it.

Then, we don't worry much about it!

Someone will always pay more than you did...and someone, somewhere will always pay less. It's not a competition...it's a vacation! Book what you can afford, when you can do it!

A few years ago four of us booked a June cruise in early January and then four more joined us later and booked in early April and the prices were the same but for a lower category than ours.

I've heard that if it's a popular itinerary rooms will go fast and the prices probably won't come down.

Previous poster brings up good points.

My wife seems to think I have an un-heathly addiction to travel sites... I am always looking for a deal or two to try and sneak away to somewhere sunny.

We were watching a 2012 cruise out of Baltimore for 12 nights since it was first published a few months back. Original price was 1209/pp for an Ocean view room. Unfortunately, thanks to the engine issues on Carnival, the price dropped to 799/pp for the SAME CATEGORY ROOM!!! I dang-near broke my keyboard booking it. That was back in November of 2010, the prices haven't changed since.

So, my piece of advice would be to find what works for you and keep your eye on the price. Don't forget, if you are a return customer to most cruise lines, they offer some sort of discount or Savings Certificate. I used mine on Royal to take $200 off the top of the bill. First advertised price after taxes/fees/tips. $3171. Price after drop and Sav.Cert. $1971!!!

M.B.

There is simply no magic formula that works for all cruise lines or all cruises. We have spent more than 2 years on cruise ships, still book about 10 weeks of cruises a year and have never found a one method fits all solution. In some cases we have gotten fantastic deals by waiting for the last minute (inside the final payment period) and other times it was better to book far in advance. If you can be flexible on your cruise lines, ships, and even dates it does often pay to wait. But if you have your heart set on a specific cruise and that cruise is during a busy time of year (such as Europe in the summer) than its very risky to wait.

Hank

Archived