Royal Caribbean announces new ships - Will Carnival follow?

Tapi

According to the USA Today article I read, the new class is slightly smaller than the Freedom class, but with more passengers....

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/02/its-official-royal-caribbean-international-to-get-a-new-class-of-ship/142720/1?csp=34travel&utm_

Sunshine - 4,100-passenger, 158,000-ton ship

Freedom - 3,600-passenger, 160,000-ton ship

So slightly smaller, but cramming 500 more passengers onboard

Seems to me that RCCL has realized that for as many bells and whistles as they could cram on the two behemoths, there will always be extraordinarily limited places they can sail, due to their size.

I would love for Carnival to step back and build an updated version of the Spirit class with all the latest amenities......

Bigger is definitely NOT always better.

Bill

RCI is probably the last cruise line that you to worry about when it comes to crowd control and passenger flow. They've proved it over and over again with each class of ships they build.

You were misinformed. Both the Oasis and Allure have been selling at double & full occupancy since their respective debuts. The only exceptions were their pre-inaugural sailings. Other than that both ships sail full week after week. :) :cool:

Carnival routinely sails at full occupancy. La Ti Da

no, they did it the old fashion way. They bought out other companies

and RCCL didn't? As always, Carnival was better at it than number two.

RCCL's version of crowd control is to install pay restaurants. What's next? Pay toilets? Appropriate for number 2, eh?

RCI is probably the last cruise line that you to worry about when it comes to crowd control and passenger flow. They've proved it over and over again with each class of ships they build.

The last one that is doing what you said (wrong again ty boy:cool:) they don't do smaller ships more people...Have you been taking those new math classes again? :confused:

and RCCL didn't? As always, Carnival was better at it than number two.

RCCL's version of crowd control is to install pay restaurants. What's next? Pay toilets? Appropriate for number 2, eh?

What's the point of this? Why is it a decent and mature conversation can't be held on the CCL boards when talking about other cruise lines?

Sunshine - 4,100-passenger, 158,000-ton ship

Freedom - 3,600-passenger, 160,000-ton ship

So slightly smaller, but cramming 500 more passengers onboard

These numbers are not accurate. Freedom is actually 154,000 GT. I know what the web page says for the ship class, but it is not correct. Sunshine Class is projected to be 4000 GT larger than Freedom.

LOL!

The Sunshine Class is going to be about 4,000 gt larger than the Freedom Class but I find it so funny that even if this were not the case, now CCL cheerleaders are attempting to use more people crammed into less space as ammunition against RCI even though CCL has been doing this for years.

Yep. Cheerleading and perhaps a little ship envy at its finest. Its okay though. I understand the ship envy part.

Carnival doesn't have pay restaurants?

This has something to do with getting on and off a ship?

RCL does it hands down MUCH better.

And those behemoths that soo many Carnival cheerleaders like to call them do it even better than the other RCL ships.

Anyone who has been on both will tell you.

According to the article I read, the new Sunshine class ships will be a "right sized" version of the Oasis class. Apparently RCCL went "a bit" overboard with the Oasis class, which is why they are charging the outrageous prices they charge just to make them profitable.

The cost of the ship has little to do with the price charged. The number one factor for price is DEMAND- high demand= high price, low demand = low price. RCL has stated that there has been high demand for these ships. Some people might bring up outlier prices that are low, like mid feb, but again, that is a dead time with low demand.

The reason for building the Oasis/Allure ships is fixed cost per passenger drops with size, so these ships are more profitable. They are building smaller ships because oasis/allure size limits where they can go plus they don't want a glut of rooms.

CCL won't ever build a Spirit type ship again, they are expensive to run. They will continue the practice of using the same design that came out 12 years ago and adding more levels of rooms, packing more people in, making more $. Destiny-Victory- Conquest- Dream- Magic each one is the same basic design, just each adds more and more cabins. Geez, even the Fantasy class ships are similar to the bigger ships in layout.

Royal Caribbean just announced a totally new class of ship called the Sunshine project. These will be 158,000 tons and the first one will be delivered in 2014.

Will Carnival follow with a new class of ship after the Magic and the Breeze? I would love to see something truly innovative in the Carnival fleet.

how about a variation of the spirit class ship, especially now that we are losing one of them to down under.

The cost of the ship has little to do with the price charged. The number one factor for price is DEMAND- high demand= high price, low demand = low price. RCL has stated that there has been high demand for these ships. Some people might bring up outlier prices that are low, like mid feb, but again, that is a dead time with low demand.

The reason for building the Oasis/Allure ships is fixed cost per passenger drops with size, so these ships are more profitable. They are building smaller ships because oasis/allure size limits where they can go plus they don't want a glut of rooms.

CCL won't ever build a Spirit type ship again, they are expensive to run. They will continue the practice of using the same design that came out 12 years ago and adding more levels of rooms, packing more people in, making more $. Destiny-Victory- Conquest- Dream- Magic each one is the same basic design, just each adds more and more cabins. Geez, even the Fantasy class ships are similar to the bigger ships in layout.

Can't argue with the fact that they certainly are a more profitable line.

[quote name='SeaUs']Well lets just say if you owned just about exactly twice as many apartment buildings as I do, you'd be more profitable too[/quote]
True enough, but I guess the point was that they chose to go in different directions....that's it.

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']They don't have to.;) It did, however, and perhaps still does, help Royal fill Ginormous ships[/quote]

LOL! You can't tell me people act like that for free:confused: ROFLMAO!!! Really how much are they paying you?

People sail on different cruiselines because they can......period.....

[quote name='victoryred']LOL! You can't tell me people act like that for free:confused: ROFLMAO!!! Really how much are they paying you?

People sail on different cruiselines because they can......period.....[/quote]
That is pretty funny isn't it. Imagine people in the Carnival forum describing why [B]they[/B] enjoy sailing on Carnival ships more than others.....who would have thought.:cool: And then I read that people can sail on different lines :eek: This is truly an earth shattering Saturday;)

[quote name='jimbo5544']That is pretty funny isn't it. Imagine people in the Carnival forum describing why [B]they[/B] enjoy sailing on Carnival ships more than others.....who would have thought.:cool: And then I read that people can sail on different lines :eek: This is truly an earth shattering Saturday;)[/quote]

Hi Jimbo! What on earth are you talking about:confused:

[quote name='victoryred']LOL! You can't tell me people act like that for free:confused: ROFLMAO!!! Really how much are they paying you?

People sail on different cruiselines because they can......period.....[/quote]

I pay for the privilege of sailing on Fun Ships - something the Royal cheerleaders can only dream about - unless, of course, they actually purchase a cruise. ;)

It must being yet another boring day on the number 2 cruise board and another jail break to the Fun Side!

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']I pay for the privilege of sailing on Fun Ships - something the Royal cheerleaders can only dream about - unless, of course, they actually purchase a cruise. ;)

It must being yet another boring day on the number 2 cruise board and another jail break to the Fun Side![/quote]

I wasn't talking about compensation for cruising:p

Archived