POA port in Maui to Pacific Whale Foundation cruise

funtimex2

Where is the check in for the PWF cruise?

Most of the catamaran excursions I have researched leave from either Lahaina or Ma'alaea Harbor. Both are on the other side of the island from where the POA docks. We are going on Trilogy from Ma'alea Harbor and have a rental car rented. I understand that is the best way to get to that side of the island.

Thanks Sunny, I was afraid of that.... was trying to avoid renting a car.

A rental car is the only option, unless you book a ship excursion. The benefit of the rental car, is plenty of time, after the whale watch to also whale watch from the shorelines. :) Very EASY drive, and opens up plenty of alternative touring options.

Hi Funtime - I also looked at every possible way to avoid renting but everything else was just too inconvenient or expensive so I ended up renting and it really was painless. Location is close, easy driving around the island and we ended up enjoying having the car for the day to drive around a see more of the island. Don't worry about it!

From reading other CC members they have stated that there is a bus that goes into Lahaina (sp)...I hope so as we are booked on the Triology for April 11th and we are not renting a car. Someone previously stated that Pacific Whale cancelled their reservations w/o notification as the POA books it while they are in port. You may want to just book it through the cruise ship.

I have allowed 30 minutes for the drive from the ship to the harbour for my Trilogy excursion. We will be leaving the ship about 7 am...check in for Trilogy is 7.30am. Have I allowed enough time for the drive?

If Trilogy leaves from Lahaina, sorry, nope, you won't make it, and even if from Ma'alaea, you probably need an earlier start, for checking in. I'm assuming you have the car already and this is your second day in Maui??

From reading other CC members they have stated that there is a bus that goes into Lahaina (sp)...I hope so as we are booked on the Triology for April 11th and we are not renting a car. Someone previously stated that Pacific Whale cancelled their reservations w/o notification as the POA books it while they are in port. You may want to just book it through the cruise ship.

Yes, there is a bus. Allow plenty of time.

If Trilogy leaves from Lahaina, sorry, nope, you won't make it, and even if from Ma'alaea, you probably need an earlier start, for checking in. I'm assuming you have the car already and this is your second day in Maui??

We are also on the Trilogy excursion...but our tour is at 6:30 AM (!), with check in at 6:15. It is out of Ma'alaea. We plan to leave the ship at 5:30 AM (we will already have our rental from the day before). I am hoping that will give us plenty of time. The Trilogy people said it will take us 1/2 hour to get there, but I am concerned about traffic on a Monday morning.

Yes, second day in Maui and we will have the car. Coming from Kahului to Maalaea. Sounds like we will leave about 6.45 am then. That gives us 45 minutes to get to Maalaea.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering what Whale Watching tour NCL uses on the Pride of America. Is it the Pacific Whale Foundation for sure?

The bus schedule reflects that it takes 25 minutes to get to Ma'alaea (and 1 hour to Lahaina). The only problem is that you have to get to the shopping center to start. I understand there is a free shuttle to the center, but am not sure what time it starts running, or if it might be in walking distance. If you rent a car, it is only a 15 - 20 minute drive.

Here's the site for the bus. Cost is $1 per boarding.

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?nid=609

The NCL excursion may be our only alternative, can you tell me if this is a large attended tour from POA passengers because I really want to avoid cattle herding at all cost? Thanks

They use Pacific Foundation. Think about it- a NCL tour is not going to be "private" like you can get going independent. A ship tour is going to cater to large groups.

We are also on the Trilogy excursion...but our tour is at 6:30 AM (!), with check in at 6:15. It is out of Ma'alaea. We plan to leave the ship at 5:30 AM (we will already have our rental from the day before). I am hoping that will give us plenty of time. The Trilogy people said it will take us 1/2 hour to get there, but I am concerned about traffic on a Monday morning.

You will have no problem. Plenty of time.

They use Pacific Foundation. Think about it- a NCL tour is not going to be "private" like you can get going independent. A ship tour is going to cater to large groups.

I understand your point but one/two bus loads going to whale watch is ok verses 800 to 1200 going to the NCL Luau which we have witnessed the later.

In January 2008 our whale excursion was cancelled due to weather, we had made resy's with Roberts. But I dont see it on their website for this whale season.

I have sent Ole the mgr an email but haven't heard back for obvious reasons.

I will post anything I hear.

Archived