sharing tables at windjammer buffet

icyfrost

I don't particularly want to be close to strangers, but I couldn't refuse someone asking to sit at our table. Are you saying that if you were seated at a large table, only occupying 2 seats, that you would refuse someone asking to sit down?.

I sincerely hope that you are in the minority and not the majority in your way of thinking.

I don't particularly want to be close to strangers, but I couldn't refuse someone asking to sit at our table. Are you saying that if you were seated at a large table, only occupying 2 seats, that you would refuse someone asking to sit down?.

I sincerely hope that you are in the minority and not the majority in your way of thinking.

I am curious why it bothers so many people that there are some of us that actually enjoy eating a meal without the company of absolute strangers inviting themselves (or requesting) to sit at the same table. I get enough of that when I choose to dine in the MDR. If it bothers you that much, I am sure there are plenty of other tables in the WJ with an empty seat or two, you can go and sit with them? :D

I wouldn't sit at a table for 6-8. In fact, on our recent cruise we were looking for a table and we bypassed the larger ones and continued looking for a smaller one. We found one, without asking to share someone else's.

I am curious why it bothers so many people that there are some of us that actually enjoy eating a meal without the company of absolute strangers inviting themselves (or requesting) to sit at the same table. I get enough of that when I choose to dine in the MDR. If it bothers you that much, I am sure there are plenty of other tables in the WJ with an empty seat or two, you can go and sit with them? :D

I agree with you. There are some here who have blatantly said (and have done it as well) that they would sit anyway if they asked to sit and the people at the table said no. Now to me, that is much more rude than telling someone no when they ask to sit. I don't understand why anyone would want to sit at a table where they clearly were not wanted. As you said, there are others who would welcome them so why not just ask someone at another table, rather than forcing yourself upon someone who doesn't want you?

I am curious why it bothers so many people that there are some of us that actually enjoy eating a meal without the company of absolute strangers inviting themselves (or requesting) to sit at the same table.

This doesn't make sense as a response to L&S's post, as there was no indication at all that he/she was bothered by the fact that others might enjoy eating a meal without the company of strangers. There a big difference between preferring to be alone and refusing to allow someone else to sit.

I am curious as to why you would be so ungracious as to refuse to let someone sit with you to eat their meal. They may not want to sit with you either, but sometimes if there isn't any space anywhere else, then sometimes you have to share. We are new to cruising, we have only done 2 and we havn't come across this on any of those cruise ships....perhaps RCCL is not for us after all, if your attitude is an example of other people on this cruise.

I am going to have to behave , sailing in two weeks and I am very outgoing , I enjoy peoples company , if I get upset I can be a cantankerous old fart , its our first cruise so I expect my wife to give me a clout or two :D

You would be more than welcome to join us at our table.......I would never, ever refuse anyone a seat.!! I may avoid them again if I didn't like their company, but that's a different matter...lol

So politely declining when someone asks if they can sit down means they have no manners and graciousness? What about the person doing the asking? To me they are rude to even ask if they can intrude. I wouldn't intrude on others, and I don't want it done to me. Tables open up all the time in the buffet area, with people coming and going constantly. Be a bit patient and you'll get a table, without bothering someone else by asking to share theirs.

Someone mentioned movie theaters, yes I like a seat between myself and a stranger. Of course if the theater fills up that might not happen, but I still don't like sitting that close to someone.

I don't understand people who want to be close to strangers. An example on our recent Monarch cruise, my husband and I went to the Schooner bar to read. I was seated on the end of a couch by the window, my husband was in a chair across from me. The area was almost empty, just a few other folks clear at the other end of the room, many, many empty tables/chairs. These 2 men walked in and plopped themselves down right next to us. One of the guys on the couch with me, his companion in the chair beside my husband. They said "good morning" and we politely said it back, but went right back to reading our books. They attempted conversation a couple more times and we answered them but didn't encourage the conversation, and I was getting irritated with them since there were many other places where they could sit. They finally got the hint and moved. I just don't "get" people like that. Not at all. I wouldn't dream of encroaching on someone else's private space, especially if I could see they were trying to read a book.

As for the mall food court, we've never had anyone ask if they could share our table and I wouldn't think of asking to share someone else's. Just like the buffet area on a cruise, tables open up all the time. Be patient and wait for your own table.

Wow , so a person tried to be friendly and you couldnt take 5 minutes out of your day to get get to know them. You must be a bundle of fun to be around. Its not the they were going to mug you and you didnt have all day to read yor book, would it kill you "chit chat " for 5 lousy minutes. How do you know it wasnt someone first cruise maybe they wanted to meet some new people and man they were like wow this is what cruise people are like.

Like I said before Its your vacation and I respect that , you do it any way you want BUT you must understand you are are way in the minority of cruisers that want that much "alone" time on a ship of 3000 people.

Wow , so a person tried to be friendly and you couldnt take 5 minutes out of your day to get get to know them. You must be a bundle of fun to be around. Its not the they were going to mug you and you didnt have all day to read yor book, would it kill you "chit chat " for 5 lousy minutes. How do you know it wasnt someone first cruise maybe they wanted to meet some new people and man they were like wow this is what cruise people are like.

Like I said before Its your vacation and I respect that , you do it any way you want BUT you must understand you are are way in the minority of cruisers that want that much "alone" time on a ship of 3000 people.

Are they really in the minority on a large ship like this?.......I am really quite nervous about our trip and although its 13 months away I am seriously thinking about cancelling it in favour of a smaller ship. If I was asked not to sit down, I really would feel quite upset about it.......I always treat people as I would like to be treated, with consideration and respect.!

I am going to have to behave , sailing in two weeks and I am very outgoing , I enjoy peoples company , if I get upset I can be a cantankerous old fart , its our first cruise so I expect my wife to give me a clout or two :D

No your not. Have have fun thats what cruising is all about 95% of the people are very easy going and just like to have fun. I myself have never met a stranger. I have been truly amazed by the people that dont want to associate with anyone, but to each his own. You may get a few looks lol. My wife shakes her head at me sometimes , but you only live once. As a cancer survivor i figure i got a second chance and i am going to live life to the fullest. :D:D

When I finally go on my first cruise I plan on eating all my meals in the windjammer. I will do this because I am not comfortable eating at a table with strangers. I will try and find a table for 2 but from what I understand there are not very many in the windjammer. I will wait my turn and sit at a table once one becomes free and I will expect everyone else to do the same. Yes, I don't own the table for 4 I might be sitting at but then I don't own my cabin either and just because my cabin sleeps 3 I won't be inviting random people to share it simply because there's an empty berth available. if you walk into the windjammer and it is extremely busy, I would expect you to wait for a table to open up just like I will.

My hubby and I have been married for 40 years in May, and yes we still like to eat alone, but not at the expense of other diners walking around trying desperately to find a table. Good manners and graciousness cost absolutely nothing.!!

This entire thread can be summed up perfectly in this once paragraph, maybe wisdom does come with age, but I've only been married 30 years.

Are they really in the minority on a large ship like this?.......I am really quite nervous about our trip and although its 13 months away I am seriously thinking about cancelling it in favour of a smaller ship. If I was asked not to sit down, I really would feel quite upset about it.......I always treat people as I would like to be treated, with consideration and respect.!

Man why would you be nervous , this thread has you worried over nothing , we will be on cruise number 11 if it bugs you dont go during peak ours there will be plenty of room . There are always tables on the decks. Man dont let worry you , go have fun,.

I am one who would respectfully decline a strangers request to eat with me while I enjoy a meal in the ships buffet. I travel solo for a reason, and dining with strangers is not one if them. .......

Imagine what fun a cruise would be if 50% of the PAX were just like you.:eek:

It depends on what you want out of a cruise though doesnt it? If you want to have fun and socilaise with strangers thats great. I dont, I want to cruise to all the wonderful places in the world with my OH, Not sit with strangers and eat. We still have fun but with each other.

It depends on what you want out of a cruise though doesnt it? If you want to have fun and socilaise with strangers thats great. I dont, I want to cruise to all the wonderful places in the world with my OH, Not sit with strangers and eat. We still have fun but with each other.

My post was addressing the fact that the person I was responding to sailed solo and wished to dine alone.

So, if 50% of the passengers needed to dine alone ..... think about it.

So just because I don't care to make small talk with strangers that makes me a "bundle of fun to be around", huh? Whatever. No, it would not have "killed me" to chit chat with a stranger for 5 minutes but I don't want to, so why should I be forced to? We did not make eye contact with these men when they sat down, so that should have been their first clue that we didn't wish to be bothered. Then when their first attempt to make "small talk" was shot down, why didn't they just give up? No, they kept trying to engage us in conversation. They could obviously see we were trying to read. My husband and I go on cruises to enjoy each other's company, enjoy the ship and ports, and yes to read as that is an activity we enjoy very much. Why can't you understand that? Not everyone is a social butterfly.

No your not. Have have fun thats what cruising is all about 95% of the people are very easy going and just like to have fun. I myself have never met a stranger. I have been truly amazed by the people that dont want to associate with anyone, but to each his own. You may get a few looks lol. My wife shakes her head at me sometimes , but you only live once. As a cancer survivor i figure i got a second chance and i am going to live life to the fullest. :D:D

You've never met a stranger, well that's good for YOU. I am a very quiet person, who enjoys her own company and the company of family and close friends but I do not care to get to know strangers on a cruise. You say you are "truly amazed" by people that don't want to associate with anyone, well I am "truly amazed" that you can't seem to get it that some of us just don't want to. What works for you is GREAT, I am not condemning that in the slightest. More power to you. But why can't you understand that not everyone is like YOU. We ALL have different tastes, likes and dislikes, personalities, etc. Why do you feel that everyone should be as outgoing as you?

When I finally go on my first cruise I plan on eating all my meals in the windjammer. I will do this because I am not comfortable eating at a table with strangers. I will try and find a table for 2 but from what I understand there are not very many in the windjammer. I will wait my turn and sit at a table once one becomes free and I will expect everyone else to do the same. Yes, I don't own the table for 4 I might be sitting at but then I don't own my cabin either and just because my cabin sleeps 3 I won't be inviting random people to share it simply because there's an empty berth available. if you walk into the windjammer and it is extremely busy, I would expect you to wait for a table to open up just like I will.

I agree!!

This doesn't make sense as a response to L&S's post, as there was no indication at all that he/she was bothered by the fact that others might enjoy eating a meal without the company of strangers. There a big difference between preferring to be alone and refusing to allow someone else to sit.

Apparently it bothered L&S enough to state:

Well, maybe there are. Why do so many choose to eat in Specialty Restaurants other than the quisine? The chance to eat at a table for two, alone with their companion of choice. Or at a table of four with their friends. Like I said in an earlier post, I get to the buffet at the opening bell, eat and leave so as not to take up a table that might otherwise be needed for others. I dont lounge at the table after eating, nor do I take a table for 8 if it is just me dining alone. If I make the choice and feel comfortable inviting someone who appears to be needing a table, and there are no seats anywhere to be seen, it is up to me to invite them, not the other way around. They would be a guest at the table I was sitting at first. No, it isnt my table, just like it isnt your cabin (you are only renting it for a week), but I was at the table first. Manners trumps necessity in my book.

So just because I don't care to make small talk with strangers that makes me a "bundle of fun to be around", huh? Whatever. No, it would not have "killed me" to chit chat with a stranger for 5 minutes but I don't want to, so why should I be forced to? We did not make eye contact with these men when they sat down, so that should have been their first clue that we didn't wish to be bothered. Then when their first attempt to make "small talk" was shot down, why didn't they just give up? No, they kept trying to engage us in conversation. They could obviously see we were trying to read. My husband and I go on cruises to enjoy each other's company, enjoy the ship and ports, and yes to read as that is an activity we enjoy very much. Why can't you understand that? Not everyone is a social butterfly.

You've never met a stranger, well that's good for YOU. I am a very quiet person, who enjoys her own company and the company of family and close friends but I do not care to get to know strangers on a cruise. You say you are "truly amazed" by people that don't want to associate with anyone, well I am "truly amazed" that you can't seem to get it that some of us just don't want to. What works for you is GREAT, I am not condemning that in the slightest. More power to you. But why can't you understand that not everyone is like YOU. We ALL have different tastes, likes and dislikes, personalities, etc. Why do you feel that everyone should be as outgoing as you?

I agree!!

You know i wasnt even going to come back on this thread as it was beaten over and over.

And I agree with you we are all different . I have no problem with that but I is what I is . I am the same person here as I would be on the ship . Unlke someone that can hide behind a computer and particpate in a converstion and be all well out going and get to know STRANGERS on a chat board . Thats what I find so weird.

Thank you , I know what you mean , my wife will be having a blood transfusion 2 days before we go , just a top up ( AML )it came back in May , hence the cruise :):(

You know i wasnt even going to come back on this thread as it was beaten over and over.

And I agree with you we are all different . I have no problem with that but I is what I is . I am the same person here as I would be on the ship . Unlke someone that can hide behind a computer and particpate in a converstion and be all well out going and get to know STRANGERS on a chat board . Thats what I find so weird.

I'm not hiding behind a computer. I enjoy reading cruise (and other types) message boards and participating in the conversations, because I am CHOOSING to do so WHEN I WANT TO. If I don't want to participate I don't. I have always been able to put my thoughts and feelings down on paper (or computer screen :)) much, much better than talking to someone in person. I find it difficult to make "small talk" with strangers. I don't enjoy it. It makes me nervous. Which is another reason I don't care to share my breakfast or lunch table in the Windjammer with strangers. It takes all the enjoyment out of the meal. So why should I have to subject myself to that? Maybe you find that weird, so be it.

Frito58, Earlier in this thread I have to say I liked you quite a lot even though we had different viewpoints. That being said you keep saying you respect each person's right to cruise as they wish, but then you make rude comments about their choices as well. You just keep instigating them to reply and I think thats why so many of them keep quoting you and responding with frustration.

I have a father who is very similar to you, he was in a trade for years in a sea of people like him there but EVERYONE knew him. He has this knack with everyone he meets. So I had an affinity for how you feel. But like you said the thread has been beaten to death, and by now you see that you aren't going to sway people's opinions.

on a brighter note, congrats on your recovery! A family member of mine also beat cancer, so I can only understand what you went through in a 2nd hand sort of way. She became very introverted, so I applaud you getting out there and living life to the fullest.

Happy cruising!

on the last two crises, we've had people ask to join us. you know we smiled said yes, and ended up making new friends who we actually enjoy keeping in touch with on facebook. don't be a snob smile life is too short

Thankyou.......my sentiments entirely.

Archived