Westerdam Panama Canal April 15, 2011

bcirish

Hi everyone. My DH and I are thinking about booking this cruise. DH has always wanted to do the Panama Canal cruise - actually he wants to do it twice. Once through the original canal and again when the new locks open. Anyway, back to my questions. DH is partially disabled. He can walk short distances but can't do stairs or uneven ground very well. We also aren't be excursion people. We enjoy the adventure of being on the ship and all the goodies that cruising entails. We have done several cruises and have met with some obsticles regarding wheelchairs in dining rooms, elevators, and port facilities. We generally like to get off the boat and make it to dry land just to say that we were in Haiti or where ever. I have read many of the prior posts about excursions and/or the lack thereof, but nothing about the port areas. Are there any little areas near (within walking/pushing distance) of the port areas. I guess I am looking for little shops or plazas like in Cozumel. Have any of you repeat offenders seen anything like that. As the pusher, I am a lot more interested than the DH. I am also considering renting a power scooter. Any thoughts or suggestions regarding power scooters on this cruise? Thanks in anticipation of your thoughtful responses.

Welcome, you should "strongly" think about booking this cruise!

We were on the Panama cruise last year and we saw both wheel chairs and power scooter used by a number of passengers on the ship with no problems. At diner staff would take care of the wheel chairs and scotters after the people sat down for diner. Not sure how they delt with the units in passengers rooms but I think there would be enough room to store them in your room.

We saw that ports like Aruba, Costa Rica, Puerto Vallarta, Nicarugra, and San Diego were all easy for Wheel chairs and scooters around the docks. I would vote for a scooter over a wheel chair. We saw at least 4-6 of them on the ship last year. Generally it is pretty handicap friendly both on ship and off. Can't guarantee it is "prefect" in every port but as I have said going thru the Canal is a must and I would not let a few possible problems with accessability stop me from doing this cruise. Check some of my earlier posts here where I have put links to our pictures of the canal.

Thanks Rick for the info, I know I looked on some past posts and found our name listed for this cruise. Hope I don't bore you with some of my Questions. Can you believe 8 more months and we are on our way. Can't tell you excited we both are. Also would like some info on this meet and greet party. Till next time mjtigger

Hi folk's it was nice to read your post and so looking forward to meeting you both, I still have alot to learn on this site, as this is all so new but will plug along. Until next time mjtigger

Ask away with your questions, no problem. We have only done 2 cruises but I did a lot of research before our first cruise in 2007 to Alaska. You should also read the Holland America board. It covers a lot of topics on all the ships that might help you with questions and will generate more questions.

I don't know if anyone has taken the lead on a meet-n-greet on the cruise. We have never done one so I have no idea what to expect. We had one set up on the cruise last year but were so involved in exploring the ship that we plain forgot about it and missed meeting everyone.

Rick

Welcome mjtigger , George and Rand here in very hot Texas. We are both traveling quite a bit this summer, so not checking into this board as often as I was at the beginning. Rand has become a cruise-a-holic after our first cruise to Hawaii this year in MArch. He leaves this week for 3 count them THREE back to back cruises on CArnival out of Galveston, just to be on a ship. Myself, doing little road trips (breaking in the new car) and we alternate staying home to look after the pets. Glad to see activity here on the board, and looking so forward to the trip. Cheers to all!

Hi everyone. My DH and I are thinking about booking this cruise. DH has always wanted to do the Panama Canal cruise - actually he wants to do it twice. Once through the original canal and again when the new locks open. Anyway, back to my questions. DH is partially disabled. He can walk short distances but can't do stairs or uneven ground very well. We also aren't be excursion people. We enjoy the adventure of being on the ship and all the goodies that cruising entails. We have done several cruises and have met with some obsticles regarding wheelchairs in dining rooms, elevators, and port facilities. We generally like to get off the boat and make it to dry land just to say that we were in Haiti or where ever. I have read many of the prior posts about excursions and/or the lack thereof, but nothing about the port areas. Are there any little areas near (within walking/pushing distance) of the port areas. I guess I am looking for little shops or plazas like in Cozumel. Have any of you repeat offenders seen anything like that. As the pusher, I am a lot more interested than the DH. I am also considering renting a power scooter. Any thoughts or suggestions regarding power scooters on this cruise? Thanks in anticipation of your thoughtful responses.

Last year we spent a week in Aruba, great place. The ships dock right down town, it's a 10 min. walk to the vendors and stores on main street. It's an easy place to get around and for those who like to shop there is lots of it. The main city bus terminal is across from where the ships dock and the beaches are but a short bus ride away. As far as I know there is only one port we have to tender into, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and there you can carry the wheel chair to shore and the water front is very accessable. I haven't looked at all the ports of call yet, some will be new for the first time others we've been at before.

Allan & Marlane :D:D

Hi We are going from Regina Sask. to Fort Laud. then all the way to Vancouver the fly back to Regina. I have lookedback on some of the pages and did find a roll call with our names added. I was wonderig about off shore excersions. It sounds like you folk's are old hands at cruising and just full of info. I hacw rambled on enough for this time, so love to hearr from you again. mjtigger

Hi I did check back through the pages and did find our name listed for this cruise, what a wonderful experience it will be to meet so many wonderful people from all over, until next time. EverytimeI sit and think of a question it slips mind when when I go on line, maybe next time. Mjtigger

Guess I need to double check to see if I have missed anyone and once I catch up ( what a joke ) I will post an updated list. Have not been near my computer for most of the month and looks like I will not be much til September. We are off to Wisconsin this week and the last week of August on to Branson. In between I am trying to get some business taken care of so not much computer time.

SInce we got back from St Martin we have had company family get togethers and more company. The heat and humidity for the last few days has been bad- little bit like Florida I am thinking.

Take care and BTW - if you know that I have missed you on our list - let me know and give me a bit of info and I will update. Welcome to all of the newbies and possible newbies. We love this ship and really appreciate the way HAL takes care of their passengers.

Hi All

Just posting so we don't fall any lower on this board--it is getting hard to find us!!

Sitting on the banks of the Animas River outside Durango Colorado on our last vacation of the summer. probably the last trip for one of our dogs. Fuzzy has lymphoma and jsut came out of remission a few weeks ago. vet said he was Ok to go camping, so here we are. Fuzzy is ona new protocol and hoping we can get back to remission, though it won't be as long. he seems pretty happy and loves to sit and watch birds and other dogs walk by our cabin. Nice and cool too, which helps!

hope all are doing well. Two tasks left for the cruise--book airfare (SWA will open for these dates in October) and pick excursions. having a tough time deciding...

Mary Lynn

Hi Mary Lynn, am I not doing something right as I am having difficulties finding postings as well, especially on the April 15 th cruise. If anyone out there can lend a helping hand it would sooooo grateful. Until next time, Pat, mjtigger

Hi All

Just posting so we don't fall any lower on this board--it is getting hard to find us!!

Sitting on the banks of the Animas River outside Durango Colorado on our last vacation of the summer. probably the last trip for one of our dogs. Fuzzy has lymphoma and jsut came out of remission a few weeks ago. vet said he was Ok to go camping, so here we are. Fuzzy is ona new protocol and hoping we can get back to remission, though it won't be as long. he seems pretty happy and loves to sit and watch birds and other dogs walk by our cabin. Nice and cool too, which helps!

hope all are doing well. Two tasks left for the cruise--book airfare (SWA will open for these dates in October) and pick excursions. having a tough time deciding...

Mary Lynn

FYI. We used SWA last year to fly to Florida for the Panama cruise and booked two seats in early Nov. The prices dropped (Feb.?) and SWA did offer a credit for the price drop in the form of a credit on the purchase of another ticket in the future. But that credit was good for one year from the date of the first booking in Nov. not from the date of the price drop.

We flew into Orlando since it was a cheaper flight and the hotels were also cheaper even after renting a car to drive to Ft. Laud.

Hi Mary Lynn, am I not doing something right as I am having difficulties finding postings as well, especially on the April 15 th cruise. If anyone out there can lend a helping hand it would sooooo grateful. Until next time, Pat, mjtigger

mjtigger,

Not sure what problems you are having in finding April 15th postings? Tell what you are looking for, maybe I can help.

Rick

mt

I doubt you are doing anything wrong, the board has just been a bit slow lately. probably end of summer vacations and family stuff for everyone. Maybe after labor Day we will hear from everyone more!!

Rick

We usually book SWA as soon as it is available. I don't think we've ever seen a price decrease but nice to know they could offer a credit if fares drop. We will be doing the same as you--Flying into MCO 3 or 4 days early, go see Harry Potter and other stuff like that, then drive to FLL the day before cruise and hook up with the others going on the cruise. Already booked a hotel in FLL for the night before cruise (thru Hotwire). Will use priceline for hotel and car in Orlando. Car rentals rates have been really high in Florida lately, so I am going to have to really work to find a good deal!

Mary Lynn

I think we will fly direct to FLL a couple of days early and make like a tourist to see the sights. Maybe those that are there early we can have a get together and have a meal and drinks to get to know each other?

Allan & Marlane:D:D

ski ww

That's a good idea! We will have to play it by ear I guess, since probably no one knows what time they will get to FLL yet.

First step might be to find out where everyone is staying the night before the cruise and what time they think they will get in?

We have time to plan...

ML

ski ww

That's a good idea! We will have to play it by ear I guess, since probably no one knows what time they will get to FLL yet.

First step might be to find out where everyone is staying the night before the cruise and what time they think they will get in?

We have time to plan...

ML

Hey....what about a get together in Orlando for those of us flying into there? lol. We probably won't drive down to FLL until the day of the cruise. We are going to visit a friend in Orlando who lost her husband this year from cancer.

We took the Turnpike last year with no traffic until near I-95 north of FLL. It was a very comfortable drive.

Rick

ski ww

We have time to plan...

ML

We will get into FLL at least the day before early AM, we normally take the first flight out of Toronto, so we have a full day to make like a tourist. Don't know which hotel we'll be staying at. As you say we still have time to plan.

Allan & Marlane:D:D

Sorry - we have been traveling in the North Woods with friends and have not been near the any of the roll calls for a while. I find that I am doing well to have phone service in the area that we were in most of the time so when I got to wireless- my email won out!;) I am checking in but will be off to Branson to spend some time with friends on Monday

BTW - I planned to do the meet and greet - there is protocol with HAL - no biggie but easier when you have done it - I worked with them on our last cruise - actually when we booked this cruise so I will with the names on our esteemed list. Hopefully later today I will post the last list and let folks make sure they have been included. I know it has been rather quiet but am not worried.

As for get together before the cruise - that would be fun too. We will probably stay near the port and pick up our wine at Total Wine since we will be flying in for this one. As we get closer it might be good to figure out where the non car folks are and see if we can find a place to get together easily. We usually have ours so this will be a change for us. The last time we did not have a car when cruising we were on our way to Europe.

Off to look for the list

b

Rick

Getting together in Orlando sounds like fun. We are about 95% sure we willfly to MCO, spend a few days, then drive to FLL on 4/14. I am all ready to go on 4/10, Hubby isn't sure he wants to be gone from work that long (he was supposed to retire in April but is now having second thoughts). But I think we will fly in either 4/10 or 11. I even just checked Hotwire to see what hotels they might have.

bc

Glad to hear from you--sounds like a tough summer, running around to all these vacations (I am soooo jealous..). I figured you would do the M&G--good luck finding all the names. Maybe if we get another list going, it will make it easier to keep current since we are getting a bit closer.

No word from other family members yet on whether they are coming but I'll post if they do.

Everyone stay cool and enjoy these last few weeks of summer.

ML

This is the last roll call that I posted so let me know if there are additions and updates that I may have missed. At this point I will not worry about cabins because that often changes ..... so will save that til later. Here is the way that Meet and Greet works - since we are on an extended trip - they often have more than one if the trip is considered a B2B so that if there is a large change in passengers all can be included. For example those who are joining the Westerdam the week before the rest of us will have the chance for a M&G during the first week too. In the past we have done multiple get togethers with the M&G being the midmorning sea day event sometime early in the cruise. We usually meet some place casual for drinks on the night before the cruise, the at sail away to include those who did not get there the day before. That is usually Aft in the pool area. Several days into the cruise when things are quiet - ( do not remember the ports right now) the Wine Crawl in the afternoon and into the night - usually lite dinner or none - depending. Last time we all brought goodies from room service and went to the Lido together for a very later dinner. We do the first crawl early in the cruise so that we can crawl again if there is wine left :D.

With 22 days - and several sea days we should be good to go.

All this talk about wine - I am now off to have a glass of wine - finally it is not so nasty hot that it is pleasant to be outside before the sun goes down. :)

Hope all are well with everyone and be sure and let me know of changes to our list!

b

So how did you like the roll call? Sorry - I did not proof and just realized that I did not paste if beofre I posted it - sorry :o.

Roll Call update

BCIRISH - Ed and Barbara from Chicago first posters

NOWHINERS - Mary Lynn and Doug - first posters

BOARD NAME? - with nowhiners Carol and John from Michigan

BOARD NAME - with nowhiners Kitty and Jim (also in Albuquerque)

BOARD NAME - with nowhiners - Jim and Cindy from Saginaw Mi

HIGH SEAS TEXANS - George and Rand - Fort Worth Texas

RAJKR74 Rick and Joyce - Springfield Oregon

SKI WW - Allan and Marlane from Victo Harbor, Ontario

BOARD NAME - with nowhiners Bill and Kay from Albuquerque

cardev - Mike & Karen from Alberta, Canada

NO BOARD NAME - with cardev - Don & Brenda from Edmonton Alberta

dontspin - Ann & Don

buffdored - Dorothy & Ed

mjtigger -Pat and Bob Longmuir from Moosejaw

SE4Deb - Deb and DH from Washington State ? did you book?

Archived