Westerdam Panama Canal April 15, 2011

bcirish

:)Hi to you all going on the Panama canal cruise on April 15th 2011, along with you folk's celabrating your 15th Bob & I are going to be having our 47th anniversary and this being our first cruise makes it that more special, so looking forward to meeting everyone. God Bless Pat & Bob

Hi all - welcome to our new folks - been busy - you know the rough life of retirement!!! Moved almost all of the furniture in the house - literally so that was exhausting and took several days of rearranging. I had a two day show which took a lot of prep and since then have been working on putting together the products for my clients. This week I start the call backs for future projects. Looks like I will be doing restorations, some family shoots and a couple of books plus some transfers for pillows and quilts. That should keep me out of trouble.

Our choral concert is the week after Thanksgiving so am putting the finishing touches on the choirs ensembles and soloists and writing the script. Glad I retired so I could do what I want!!!

I agree that we can pick up pace after the first of the year. BTW - ML god luck with your reluctant relatives! Off to watch the end of the game and then off to bed - not a good fantasy week - lost to son the commissioner. Catch up later

b

bc

For a change, had a good fantasy week--one both games in my leagues! Still probably won't make playoffs in my money league...<sigh>. Still in the hunt in other league--I need someone to beat another guy and help me out--he has been incrediby lucky.

Rick

Thanks for those pix, much as i expected. We had an OV on Main deck the first time we went to alaska--I loved it. I sat in the window and watched the water. That would be a nice upgrade. i am just going to assume we get the GG; the full length window gives me what I want--a way to look outside and see what the weather is like. i would be willing to bet that an upgrade to verandah is highly unlikely. The rest of the family has balconies, so we will just make them share!!

off to bed--early flight home tomorrow.

ML

It looks like this cruise is selling VERY well. I'm on for the 16 days only and HAL website shows call for prices for veranda cabins and up. I assume that means they are sold out.

It been a brutal week in Calgary. We had a storm on Monday night and it's been snowing every since. It's brutally cold as well. You think we could handle the cold weather and snow here but we can't. It's putting at least an extra hour on to my commute every day. Can't wait to get away for new years.

It looks like this cruise is selling VERY well. I'm on for the 16 days only and HAL website shows call for prices for veranda cabins and up. I assume that means they are sold out.

It been a brutal week in Calgary. We had a storm on Monday night and it's been snowing every since. It's brutally cold as well. You think we could handle the cold weather and snow here but we can't. It's putting at least an extra hour on to my commute every day. Can't wait to get away for new years.

There goes our chance for an upgrade:(! Kind of figured this would happen. I guess someone will get an upgrade to free up veranda's?

Weather sounds nasty. I made it home from Baltimore just fine and weather here is nice. It is supposed to be around freezing at night now thru Thanksgiving, but the days should be in the mid-50s (F).

ML

bc

Rick

Thanks for those pix, much as i expected. We had an OV on Main deck the first time we went to alaska--I loved it. I sat in the window and watched the water. That would be a nice upgrade. i am just going to assume we get the GG; the full length window gives me what I want--a way to look outside and see what the weather is like. i would be willing to bet that an upgrade to verandah is highly unlikely. The rest of the family has balconies, so we will just make them share!!

off to bed--early flight home tomorrow.

ML

ML

I'm glad you would be happy with a possible upgrade to the main deck. I was a little nervous about telling you what the possible upgrades could be.

We have been so happy with the two OVs on the upper promanade deck in the past that we have gone back to it again on this cruise. We weren't willing to pay extra for a balcony because we don't spend much time in our room.

Rick

There goes our chance for an upgrade:(! Kind of figured this would happen. I guess someone will get an upgrade to free up veranda's?

Weather sounds nasty. I made it home from Baltimore just fine and weather here is nice. It is supposed to be around freezing at night now thru Thanksgiving, but the days should be in the mid-50s (F).

ML

Yeah, I'll be surprised to see any upgrade on this cruise.

Can't you send some nice weather here:D. I can't take much more of this.

Yeah, I'll be surprised to see any upgrade on this cruise.

Can't you send some nice weather here:D. I can't take much more of this.

OK--I shipped it off to you! Today was clear and pleasant, about 56 F (13 C) and tonight it will freeze! Took a nice walk to the park with the dogs, they love it when it is like this.

Stay inside and keep the fire stoked! I was hoping to see a thunderstorm when I was staying with friends outside of Baltimore this week, but no luck. I love thunderstorms but both dogs are afraid of them, so I hate them at home. Anyway, the next night after I left, they had a huge storm, that broke off tree limbs all around the area, and even peeled roofs off houses. My friend said they had a branch fall off a tree and had quite a lightning display. I was sorry I missed it until I remembered that the rental car was in their driveway!!

We don't get much truly cold weather or storms in albuquerque, and I grew up in NY, so I sort of miss it. Not the shoveling or heating bills, just the fun parts!!

ML

ML

I'm glad you would be happy with a possible upgrade to the main deck. I was a little nervous about telling you what the possible upgrades could be.

We have been so happy with the two OVs on the upper promanade deck in the past that we have gone back to it again on this cruise. We weren't willing to pay extra for a balcony because we don't spend much time in our room.

Rick

Rick

No worries there--funny that you would be nervous about telling anyone what they might get as a result of selecting a guarantee!! I would be happy to get the fully obstructed OV--we made that choice after talking to others who did the canal and said not to get a balcony. I just want to see the canal, hang with our family and friends, drink some wine, and have a good time.

ML

OK--I shipped it off to you! Today was clear and pleasant, about 56 F (13 C) and tonight it will freeze! Took a nice walk to the park with the dogs, they love it when it is like this.

Stay inside and keep the fire stoked! I was hoping to see a thunderstorm when I was staying with friends outside of Baltimore this week, but no luck. I love thunderstorms but both dogs are afraid of them, so I hate them at home. Anyway, the next night after I left, they had a huge storm, that broke off tree limbs all around the area, and even peeled roofs off houses. My friend said they had a branch fall off a tree and had quite a lightning display. I was sorry I missed it until I remembered that the rental car was in their driveway!!

We don't get much truly cold weather or storms in albuquerque, and I grew up in NY, so I sort of miss it. Not the shoveling or heating bills, just the fun parts!!

ML

What are the fun parts of winter:D. Can you remind me. It's so strange here. When I came back from holidays I was still wearing my sandals the first week on Nov. It was that warm. The next thing you know it's like the dead of winter. There is no in between. I'm getting so I can't even stand the thought of winter...never mind the reality. I really want to move closer to downtown so I could walk to work. The commute is killing me. The problem is that it's very expensive. I'm almost at the end of my mortgage and I don't want to start with another $200K at my age. Maybe I'll get off in one of the ports and not come back to the ship:D.

My brother has a small dog and I think he must be the only dog that isn't afraid of thunderstorms. He's such a sucky baby I'm surprised he isn't.

Rick

No worries there--funny that you would be nervous about telling anyone what they might get as a result of selecting a guarantee!! I would be happy to get the fully obstructed OV--we made that choice after talking to others who did the canal and said not to get a balcony. I just want to see the canal, hang with our family and friends, drink some wine, and have a good time.

ML

I think that the only balcony that is great for the Panama Canal is an aft balcony. You'll probably want to wander around the ship. For some reason I really favor the Bow.

Hi everyone. I booked this cruise long long ago too but for some reason, didn't check this board. I read the first page and then fast forwarded to the last but it seems no many more signed on which is usual for HAL boards I find. Since we live in San Diego, we are only doing the 16 days. Last year, we did the SD to Vancouver part and DID get upgraded to a Deluxe Suite! Love that Neptune Lounge. I checked my on line TA today and they only have SS suites and some regular Verandas. We booked an SY guarantee so we'll see.

This cruise has a very interesting itinerary and we are in the process of haggling over shore excursions.

We have a house in Indio, CA (desert) and many many people from Canada come down for the season. I have been checking the weather in Calgary and see numbers like 3/-17! Wow! It's not even Thanksgiving yet!

What are the fun parts of winter:D. Maybe I'll get off in one of the ports and not come back to the ship:D.

My brother has a small dog and I think he must be the only dog that isn't afraid of thunderstorms. He's such a sucky baby I'm surprised he isn't.

Are you kidding--the fun parts are skiing, walking/playing with the dogs (ours love running through snow drifts. They have lots of hair and have never been cold--they are keeshonds), sledding, snowmobiling, just sitting and watching snow fall!! You know--all the kid/romantic parts, not dealing with the reality! I would hate to have to drive in snow all the time again. bad enough that is has been freezing in the mornings here lately.

I think that the only balcony that is great for the Panama Canal is an aft balcony. You'll probably want to wander around the ship. For some reason I really favor the Bow.

Thats what we were told--need to move around to see all that is happening. i am really looking forward to going through the canal and watching the locks at work. We really need to work on excursions...

ML

Hi everyone. I booked this cruise long long ago too but for some reason, didn't check this board. I read the first page and then fast forwarded to the last but it seems no many more signed on which is usual for HAL boards I find. Since we live in San Diego, we are only doing the 16 days. Last year, we did the SD to Vancouver part and DID get upgraded to a Deluxe Suite! Love that Neptune Lounge. I checked my on line TA today and they only have SS suites and some regular Verandas. We booked an SY guarantee so we'll see.

This cruise has a very interesting itinerary and we are in the process of haggling over shore excursions.

We have a house in Indio, CA (desert) and many many people from Canada come down for the season. I have been checking the weather in Calgary and see numbers like 3/-17! Wow! It's not even Thanksgiving yet!

Welcome Cauvet

I guess the cruise IS selling well, as lorekauf thought! I guess there will be no upgrades in our future! Oh well, we will just have to try guarantee again on another cruise:D

be sure and provide your basic info on the board so bc can add it to our list.

Mary Lynn

I have been checking the weather in Calgary and see numbers like 3/-17! Wow! It's not even Thanksgiving yet!

Oh yeah....it pretty much sucks. Just waiting for this cold snap and endless snow to end. It appears it will be nicer by next weekend. I'm on the verge of booking another cruise for Feb.2011 at this point.

It's -41 with the windchill this morning. Anyone want to change places with me:eek:?

OMG--that DOES suck!! We just got back from Bagdad Arizona. Night temps were around 0 C, but daytime was nice, about 13-15 C. Are you still getting a lot of snow too? Stay inside and think happy thoughts of how hot you will be as you go through the canal.

ML

OMG--that DOES suck!! We just got back from Bagdad Arizona. Night temps were around 0 C, but daytime was nice, about 13-15 C. Are you still getting a lot of snow too? Stay inside and think happy thoughts of how hot you will be as you go through the canal.

ML

Thank goodness the cold weather has backed off. We hit 0C (32f) today. When we finally started to come out of it -15 was feeling good. There is still a lot of snow to melt. We could get some snow tonight. I'm a real chicken and I don't drive when there is snow on the road. Makes for a LONG winter because our bus service sucks. I just couldn't help myself and booked a Feb cruise. Soon I'll be gone for my Dec. birthday cruise, back for a month, then off 2 months after that for the Panama cruise. I'm getting so I can't even stand the thought of winter.

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Not long until you retire....correct?

Thank goodness the cold weather has backed off. We hit 0C (32f) today. When we finally started to come out of it -15 was feeling good. There is still a lot of snow to melt. We could get some snow tonight. I'm a real chicken and I don't drive when there is snow on the road. Makes for a LONG winter because our bus service sucks. I just couldn't help myself and booked a Feb cruise. Soon I'll be gone for my Dec. birthday cruise, back for a month, then off 2 months after that for the Panama cruise. I'm getting so I can't even stand the thought of winter.

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Not long until you retire....correct?

I like your plan for dealing with winter!! can you get out of Calgary pretty reliably? It seems like that would be the biggest challenge!

10 more work days, then vacation until 12/23, which is my last "work" day!! it can't come soon enough but I still have a ton to do to be able to leave--turn in computers, blackberry, corporate credit card, all my travel receipts for the past 7 years, some other travel related stuff, plus turn off all my computer accounts, get phone transferred and turn in my badge. i'll start this week and hope to complete it all by 12/17. Will probably have to go in one morning right before Christmas to complete the process. I will know better how annoying this will be after this week. Oh, and there are 280 people retiring in December, so it should be quite interesting!!

ML

Hi bc

You guys really could have shown some mercy yesterday--37 to 7 is not a pretty sight (but better than New Mexico losing 66-17)!!

Too bad there were 3 good teams in Big 10 this year--looks like Wisconsin gets Rose Bowl and OSU may get to Sugar or equivalent? it's all pretty confused the way college football does the bowls, with all the special deals they cut!

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

ML

Well winter is finally here. Got our ski pass for the winter, going to get the skii's in this week for a tune up now we just need some more snow. They'll start making snow as soon as it gets and stay's at -5C. So we should be out on the hills in two weeks. And we finish off the ski season with a cruise through the Canal. The best of both worlds.

Allan & Marlane:D:D

I like your plan for dealing with winter!! can you get out of Calgary pretty reliably? It seems like that would be the biggest challenge!

10 more work days, then vacation until 12/23, which is my last "work" day!! it can't come soon enough but I still have a ton to do to be able to leave--turn in computers, blackberry, corporate credit card, all my travel receipts for the past 7 years, some other travel related stuff, plus turn off all my computer accounts, get phone transferred and turn in my badge. i'll start this week and hope to complete it all by 12/17. Will probably have to go in one morning right before Christmas to complete the process. I will know better how annoying this will be after this week. Oh, and there are 280 people retiring in December, so it should be quite interesting!!

ML

I can generally get out of Calgary ok (fingers crossed) so hopefully it will be no different. I always leave the day before so that always helps.

Gearing up for leaving a company is difficult. Tying up all the loose ends and getting ready for Christmas is going to be really busy for you.

I can generally get out of Calgary ok (fingers crossed) so hopefully it will be no different. I always leave the day before so that always helps.

Gearing up for leaving a company is difficult. Tying up all the loose ends and getting ready for Christmas is going to be really busy for you.

I didn't even think about getting ready for Christmas--thanks for reminding me:D

ML

We've been looking at excrusions again trying to get a look at what we might want to book. Found a couple that look interesting and not to expensive on the HAL web site. Coffee planations, old ruins and jungle canopy ariel tours, ATV, snorkel or a hike in the jungle. Don't know if we are that comfortable with privite tours. We keep looking trying to sort out or get an idea for each port. Any way we still have lots of time to make our final decision.

Allan & Marlane :confused::D

Archived