Westerdam Panama Canal April 15, 2011

bcirish

Ok....let me introduce myself:D. My "real" name is Lorene and I'm from Calgary, Alberta. Looks like we have a few peeps from Alberta. Can't wait to get out of this winter. I'd like to do the M&G and possibly the wine crawl depending on what is involved. I'll have to buy my wine on board so if I need to supply 6 bottles or something I think I'll need to drop out or declare bankruptcy.

Ok....let me introduce myself:D. My "real" name is Lorene and I'm from Calgary, Alberta. Looks like we have a few peeps from Alberta. Can't wait to get out of this winter. I'd like to do the M&G and possibly the wine crawl depending on what is involved. I'll have to buy my wine on board so if I need to supply 6 bottles or something I think I'll need to drop out or declare bankruptcy.

too funny--but good to know your real name!! The wine crawl doesn't require 6 bottles. i think each person brings a bottle and we all try different wines. Given your difficulty with finishing 3 bottles in 7 days, this should be the answer to your prayers;)!! if you get a wine package, maybe just have steward bring one to your cabin and you're all set!!

and, since you get such nice discounts on wine, we should talk...

ML

Greetings everyone. Just checking in to see what is going on, have been away from the board for a while (cruising on Carnival just for fun-the fun ships). I made the final payment today! April will be here before we know it-time to get serious and plan. SO looking forward to this. Rand and I will be staying over in Seattle for a few days after the cruise and then joining a Celebrity ship to cruise to Alaska. Is there a 12 step program for people addicted to cruising?......

George

i was worried you fell overboard! i will send you an email next week so we can work out details of M&G and maybe the wine crawl?

I am sure you can sign up for 'friends of stein' onboard;)

ML:)

too funny--but good to know your real name!! The wine crawl doesn't require 6 bottles. i think each person brings a bottle and we all try different wines. Given your difficulty with finishing 3 bottles in 7 days, this should be the answer to your prayers;)!! if you get a wine package, maybe just have steward bring one to your cabin and you're all set!!

and, since you get such nice discounts on wine, we should talk...

ML

Maybe I'll have one left from the Feb cruise.......but you know how much I drink:D so I doubt it. I think I've had more to drink in 2011 then I had all last year:eek:. Yes....we'll have to talk......about the wine.

Hi gang

The time has finally come to start getting organized. i have a semi-plan that consists of 3 parts right now:

Update roll call/CC participants

See who wants to do what

Contact George and schedule M&G and 1st wine crawl

Hopefully, everyone who is interested will see this post (and i will post on the main board too) and contact us. I will collect info for a week, then provide an update. maybe by then, we will be close!!

Here we go--What I have so far for roll call:

NOWHINERS - Mary Lynn and Doug - first posters

with nowhiners Carol and John from Michigan

with nowhiners Kitty and Jim (also in Albuquerque)

with nowhiners Bill and Kay from Albuquerque

with nowhiners - Jim and Cindy from Saginaw Mi

HIGH SEAS TEXANS - George and Rand - Fort Worth Texas

RAJKR74 Rick and Joyce - Springfield Oregon

SKI WW - Allan and Marlane from Victo Harbor, Ontario

cardev - Mike & Karen from Alberta, Canada

NO BOARD NAME - with cardev - Don & Brenda from Edmonton Alberta

dontspin - Ann & Don

buffdored - Dorothy & Ed

mjtigger -Pat and Bob Longmuir from Moosejaw

SE4Deb - Deb and DH from Washington State

Mad Jayhawk - Dennis and Karen - Sun City West Az

lorekauf - ?? - ?? - Canada

user8 - Lee and Virginia - Lake Jackson Tx

canuckcruiser0711 - Terry and Jack Calgary Alberta

fixeaudon - ??

Cauvet--??

Odleka—Bill and Kathy, Canada

If I missed anyone, please post and let me know. i also setup an email box for us to use for some personal info we will need for M&G. It is:

halcruisepc(at)gmail.com

just put in symbol for parens/at--this is so we don't get a bunch of spam!!

We need to decide what events we want to do. So far, we seem to have a lot of agreement on a M&G and at least 1 wine crawl. We have also discussed at varying times: a sailaway party, a 2nd wine crawl and a lunch. Please let me know which of these activities you are interested in and I will compile lists.

Since George and rand have offered their cabin (the Penthouse!!), I need to check with them on when they would like to have the M&G. They have also offered their cabin for the 1st wine crawl. I expect these both to happen fairly early in the trip, probably on sea days. if others want to offer their cabin for a wine crawl, let me know. I think the M&G should be 1 of the first 2 sea days, but what do you guys think?

I am open to any suggestions. Kathy has offered to help coordinate events (possibly sailaway and lunch); others are welcome to help. Let's not get too crazy with this or we will drive HAL nuts!! (Not that that's a completely bad thing--I am still very annoyed about losing the old wine cards:D).

So, post your thoughts and let's get this party goin' on!! Pleas email me at above address your full names, location info (not street address, just city/state/country), and cabin # if known!!

ML

Thanks for organizing all this. The M&G and wine crawl sound good it's a great way to get to know your fellow C&C members at the begining of the cruise. The sail away doesn't have to be very formal just if we all want to meet on the Lido deck at the pool bar we can have a few drinks ,say hello and enjoy the view as we sail out of harbour. Looking forward to meeting every one.

Allan & Marlane:D:D

Hi everyone

Hubby and i started looking at excursions. I know Rick and maybe Allan have already been to the canal/ports before. We were looking at excursions in Puerto Quetzal in Guatemala. Anyone ever been here and have any advice? We are thinking the country drive/coffee plantation or maybe the Antigua on your own are about the best but would appreciate any experienced advice!!

ML

I went to Puerto Queztal on the Millennium cruise. It is just a big seaport and nothing there. You really need to take an excursion. Last time, we went to Lake Atitlan which was fabulous but is not offered. Very Very long trip. I just downloaded some maps of Nicaragua and Guatemala. I loved Guatemala. I bought these colorful necklaces from the indians: 7 for $15, and gave them as gifts when I came home. Everyone loved them. Everything is very colorful there. Antigua is almost as far as Lake Atitlan but I was just looking at some pictures and it looks absolutely charming. We booked the Tropical Forest, Sky Walk and Pura Vida in Costa Rica but are still looking at the other ports.

I am a little concerned about the safety in Chiapas but hopefully it will be fine with a group. I would NEVER book anything on my own in a foreign country. If something happens, you are on your own, and they probably don't have insurance.

Oh, by the way, we are Chris and Bruce from San Diego. We are three star Mariner's so travel on HAL quite a bit. I see the Oosterdam will be doing Hawaii next year RT from San Diego. Tempting.

Oh, and beware of mosquitos in Puerto Quetzal. I went out on the balcony and must have let mosquitos in cuz when I woke up the next morning, I had no less than 20 bites on my legs!

I went to Puerto Queztal on the Millennium cruise. It is just a big seaport and nothing there. You really need to take an excursion. Last time, we went to Lake Atitlan which was fabulous but is not offered. Very Very long trip. I just downloaded some maps of Nicaragua and Guatemala. I loved Guatemala. I bought these colorful necklaces from the indians: 7 for $15, and gave them as gifts when I came home. Everyone loved them. Everything is very colorful there. Antigua is almost as far as Lake Atitlan but I was just looking at some pictures and it looks absolutely charming. We booked the Tropical Forest, Sky Walk and Pura Vida in Costa Rica but are still looking at the other ports.

I am a little concerned about the safety in Chiapas but hopefully it will be fine with a group. I would NEVER book anything on my own in a foreign country. If something happens, you are on your own, and they probably don't have insurance.

Oh, by the way, we are Chris and Bruce from San Diego. We are three star Mariner's so travel on HAL quite a bit. I see the Oosterdam will be doing Hawaii next year RT from San Diego. Tempting.

Oh, and beware of mosquitos in Puerto Quetzal. I went out on the balcony and must have let mosquitos in cuz when I woke up the next morning, I had no less than 20 bites on my legs!

Hi Cauvet

Thanks for this info. At this point, we have decided to do some research and try to book something privately at Corinto and Puerto Quetzal, although we might sign up for Antigua On your own thru HAL.

Also, will you both be joining us for the M&G and/or wine crawl?? We would love to meet everyone at least once, so please say you will at least attend the M&G!!

We have resigned ourselves to being attacked by bugs all the time, which is why we picked a lot of excursions on the water!! We will bring a variety of anti-bug stuff, including those nice wipes that work really well (at least in southern Colorado)!!

I was less worried about Chiapas than Antigua (Corinto). Any thoughts?

Also, do they take US dollars or do we have to convert currency to buy stuff?

ML

I forgot to post this note. I looked at HAL bookings for this cruise today, and now all of a sudden, you can book any category (until now, it was "call for availability for verandah on up). So, take heart all you guarantees, there is still hope!! I think it's because final payment is due on Sunday for some cruisers.

ML

I forgot to post this note. I looked at HAL bookings for this cruise today, and now all of a sudden, you can book any category (until now, it was "call for availability for verandah on up). So, take heart all you guarantees, there is still hope!! I think it's because final payment is due on Sunday for some cruisers.

ML

Interesting....maybe lots of peeps dropped out. My final payment is not due until the end of the month. I wonder why yours is due so early.

Hi Cauvet

Thanks for this info. At this point, we have decided to do some research and try to book something privately at Corinto and Puerto Quetzal, although we might sign up for Antigua On your own thru HAL.

Also, will you both be joining us for the M&G and/or wine crawl?? We would love to meet everyone at least once, so please say you will at least attend the M&G!!

We have resigned ourselves to being attacked by bugs all the time, which is why we picked a lot of excursions on the water!! We will bring a variety of anti-bug stuff, including those nice wipes that work really well (at least in southern Colorado)!!

I was less worried about Chiapas than Antigua (Corinto). Any thoughts?

Also, do they take US dollars or do we have to convert currency to buy stuff?

ML

I "think" you'll be ok with USD. Some places in Mexico can be dicey now for USD so you might want to think about that.

We just booked our pre and post cruise hotels. We will be in Ft. Lauderdale on 14 Apr staying at the Hampton Inn and do some sight seeing along the river walk and Los Olas. If any body else is coming early and staying in the area maybe we can get together for dinner? Have not booked any excrusions yet, but have some in mind that we are interested in. We might wait until we are on board and book through the excrusion office on board.:D:)

Allan & Marlane

Interesting....maybe lots of peeps dropped out. My final payment is not due until the end of the month. I wonder why yours is due so early.

Hmm--I knew ours was due a little early but not that much. Did you book thru HAL? We booked thru costco and I think they have us pay early so they can return unsold inventory to HAL so HAL knows what they have available.

I "think" you'll be ok with USD. Some places in Mexico can be dicey now for USD so you might want to think about that.

I figured USD would be Ok everywhere but thought I should ask. We aren't planning on doing much on the ground in Mexico. Just booked our excursions, one is 5 bays by catamaran, one is sending the day at a resort, and we are doing the America's Cup excursion (Cabo)? Hubby loves to sail and we probably won't get the chance to do something like this again.

We just booked our pre and post cruise hotels. We will be in Ft. Lauderdale on 14 Apr staying at the Hampton Inn and do some sight seeing along the river walk and Los Olas. If any body else is coming early and staying in the area maybe we can get together for dinner? Have not booked any excrusions yet, but have some in mind that we are interested in. We might wait until we are on board and book through the excrusion office on board.:D:)

Allan & Marlane

We will be down by the airport, waiting for family/friends to arrive. Not sure what time they will all be coming in, but if it works out we can do this!!

Anybody notice they took my post off the HAL board and moved it here--a little too much help!! And it defeats the whole point of the post.

Glad our excursions are booked--we may change our minds but didn't want to miss out on a few we wanted to do. The rum distillery one in Guatemala either isn't available anymore or is full :-(!!

ML

Hmm--I knew ours was due a little early but not that much. Did you book thru HAL? We booked thru costco and I think they have us pay early so they can return unsold inventory to HAL so HAL knows what they have available.

I figured USD would be Ok everywhere but thought I should ask. We aren't planning on doing much on the ground in Mexico. Just booked our excursions, one is 5 bays by catamaran, one is sending the day at a resort, and we are doing the America's Cup excursion (Cabo)? Hubby loves to sail and we probably won't get the chance to do something like this again.

We will be down by the airport, waiting for family/friends to arrive. Not sure what time they will all be coming in, but if it works out we can do this!!

Anybody notice they took my post off the HAL board and moved it here--a little too much help!! And it defeats the whole point of the post.

Glad our excursions are booked--we may change our minds but didn't want to miss out on a few we wanted to do. The rum distillery one in Guatemala either isn't available anymore or is full :-(!!

ML

I booked mine through a TA. Think big motor assoc.

Someone probably complained about the post on the main board. We've gotta have room for those important topics such as "why can't HAL have a decent martini olive":rolleyes:.

We'll be joining you on this cruise - can't wait! We've been dreaming about this Panama Canal cruise for a few years and a couple of months ago we decided to go for it. We are Michael and Holly from Vancouver USA (that is Washington State). We're looking forward to deboarding in Seattle only a few hours from home. We can buy whatever we want with no worries about how to get it home. ;)

I'm hoping to get some packing tips from others who have done this cruise before - a challenge to figure out how to pack for the tropics and spring in the northwest for the same trip!:confused: Also, given that this is essentially three weeks, should we expect six formal nights?

Thanks for organizing this roll call. We are also interested in the meet and greet and probably the wine crawl. I've scanned some of the posts but haven't made it through them all so I'm hoping there is more information about the wine crawl. We're not exactly sure what that means, but it sounds fun! Sounds like a group of fun people - can't wait!

We'll be joining you on this cruise - can't wait! We've been dreaming about this Panama Canal cruise for a few years and a couple of months ago we decided to go for it. We are Michael and Holly from Vancouver USA (that is Washington State). We're looking forward to deboarding in Seattle only a few hours from home. We can buy whatever we want with no worries about how to get it home. ;)

I'm hoping to get some packing tips from others who have done this cruise before - a challenge to figure out how to pack for the tropics and spring in the northwest for the same trip!:confused: Also, given that this is essentially three weeks, should we expect six formal nights?

Thanks for organizing this roll call. We are also interested in the meet and greet and probably the wine crawl. I've scanned some of the posts but haven't made it through them all so I'm hoping there is more information about the wine crawl. We're not exactly sure what that means, but it sounds fun! Sounds like a group of fun people - can't wait!

Welcome,

Good to have someone else from so close to OR on board. Is this your first ever cruise? We did this cruise in 2009 and enjoyed it so much we are doing it again. You will not be disappointed, it is a "bucket list" item! We added a 7 day Carribean cruise in front of the Panama Canal cruise. We are getting off at San Diego. We have been to Astoria, Vancouver BC and Seattle many times.

You will enjoy this cruise, we did. Check out some of our early posts, I put a link to our pictures of the cruise on one of the early posts.

Don't over pack. You don't need to put heavy clothes in for the trip up to Seattle. It is not real cold that time of the year. No need for a hairdryer, they have one in each cabin. Keep asking questions we would be happy to answer them.

Rick

I booked mine through a TA. Think big motor assoc.

Someone probably complained about the post on the main board. We've gotta have room for those important topics such as "why can't HAL have a decent martini olive":rolleyes:.

good one. Yeah, they could be doing something useful, like reducing the number of 'stickies', instead they just make it harder for people to keep informed. great idea for a site like this;)

We never had much luck booking thru auto club. Cost more and they charged a fee--on top of our membership!! Go figure :confused:

saw that the weather is VERY nice there on your other posts--very brisk, great for keeping you young and reducing aging!!

ML

Welcome Michael and Holly, glad you will be joining us on this cruise! I added you to my roll call list, and also the M&G and wine crawl. Crawl is usually where we all bring a bottle of wine and go from cabin to cabin, sometimes just in one, and try a glass of wine at each stop. We are still organizing this, so stay tuned for updates on this board!

Rick is right--post any questions and someone will probably have an answer.

Mary Lynn

Hi gang

Update roll call/CC participants

Here we go--What I have so far for roll call:

fideauxdon - ??

So, post your thoughts and let's get this party goin' on!! Pleas email me at above address your full names, location info (not street address, just city/state/country), and cabin # if known!!

ML

Please add the following to fideauxdon: Don & Joanne, Ormond Beach, FL.

We'd be interested in hearing from anyone who wants to share costs for independent tours. We've done a minimal amount of research, but we've been disappointed in the results. We've had good luck in finding reliable companies while cruising in Europe, but determining reliability appears to be a little more difficult on this itinerary. Our prime interests would be:

Sarchi (from Puntarenas - 4/22)

Leon (from Corinto - 4/23)

Antigua (from Puerto Quetzal - 4/24 (Easter Sunday))

Puerto Chiapas Historical Tours - 4/25)

If you're interested in this, email us directly at fideauxdon@att(dot)net.

Please add the following to fideauxdon: Don & Joanne, Ormond Beach, FL.

We'd be interested in hearing from anyone who wants to share costs for independent tours. We've done a minimal amount of research, but we've been disappointed in the results. We've had good luck in finding reliable companies while cruising in Europe, but determining reliability appears to be a little more difficult on this itinerary. Our prime interests would be:

Sarchi (from Puntarenas - 4/22)

Leon (from Corinto - 4/23)

Antigua (from Puerto Quetzal - 4/24 (Easter Sunday))

Puerto Chiapas Historical Tours - 4/25)

If you're interested in this, email us directly at fideauxdon@att(dot)net.

Hi Don

We ran into the same thing and didn't like HAL choices. We may just do some exploring on our own, but need to check with the rest of the gang before we decide!!

Will you and Joanne join the M&G and wine crawl?

Thanks

Mary Lynn

Welcome,

Good to have someone else from so close to OR on board. Is this your first ever cruise? We did this cruise in 2009 and enjoyed it so much we are doing it again. You will not be disappointed, it is a "bucket list" item! We added a 7 day Carribean cruise in front of the Panama Canal cruise. We are getting off at San Diego. We have been to Astoria, Vancouver BC and Seattle many times.

You will enjoy this cruise, we did. Check out some of our early posts, I put a link to our pictures of the cruise on one of the early posts.

Don't over pack. You don't need to put heavy clothes in for the trip up to Seattle. It is not real cold that time of the year. No need for a hairdryer, they have one in each cabin. Keep asking questions we would be happy to answer them.

Rick

Thanks for the response Rick. My husband and I met at Oregon State so love your Benny picture! This is our second cruise, we went on a 7-day Carribean Cruise in 2007 and loved it. It was also on the Westerdam, but from what I've read looks like they have made some changes since then. Good to know you enjoyed the cruise enough to want to do it again! Wish I could get enough time off from work to do the B2B too! When you did it last time did you also get off in San Diego? I'll definitely check out your old posts and pictures.

Holly

Thanks Mary Lyn. How many bottles of wine would we need to have for the wine crawl? Personally I'd vote for meeting in one spot on the ship and doing our own wine tasting rather than going from deck to deck and stem to stern! Of course, if others prefer that then we can always opt out, but we'll wait and see how it develops. Anyway, thanks again for organizing all of this.

Thanks for the response Rick. My husband and I met at Oregon State so love your Benny picture! This is our second cruise, we went on a 7-day Carribean Cruise in 2007 and loved it. It was also on the Westerdam, but from what I've read looks like they have made some changes since then. Good to know you enjoyed the cruise enough to want to do it again! Wish I could get enough time off from work to do the B2B too! When you did it last time did you also get off in San Diego? I'll definitely check out your old posts and pictures.

Holly

Outstanding, go Beavs. I graduated there in 1974 & played basketball also.

Joyce is retiring the end of March but I am going to continue to work another year and a half but have saved enough time to do this 23 day cruise.

The changes on ship have been minor. One area of change is the crows nest now houses the library/internet area and also has the Exploration cafe there. There is still plenty of seats over looking the bow though.

We went all the way to Seattle the last time and our daughter drove up and picked us up. Even though it was a 5 hr. drive it was a lot better than flying home.

Rick

Thanks Mary Lyn. How many bottles of wine would we need to have for the wine crawl? Personally I'd vote for meeting in one spot on the ship and doing our own wine tasting rather than going from deck to deck and stem to stern! Of course, if others prefer that then we can always opt out, but we'll wait and see how it develops. Anyway, thanks again for organizing all of this.

Hi hc

We will have each person bring a bottle of wine and each cabin provide a snack. It would be nice to use a public area for the wine, but usually the wine steward finds out, then comes and demands that we give them $18 per bottle corkage. So, what we will do is use a few cabins as "hosts", then go to them one at a time as a group. i will post more details in a few minutes!! i will also need last names and cabin numbers, if known, as well as which activities you want to participate in. More info in my next post!

Mary Lynn

Hi gang

Well, after much discussion and preliminary organization, we have a basic plan of CC activities onboard during the cruise. Please read through all the info and reply to me at our own private email box at:

halcruisepc(at)gmail(dot)com

Replace the parens with the appropriate symbols!!

Here is what we have so far, in chronological order:

Pre-cruise dinner—a couple of folks have suggested that since many of us will be in town the night before, we could meet for dinner. One suggestion is the Outback next to the Embassy Suites (on either Las Olas or 17th??). There is a Hampton Inn on the other side, so that could be convenient. We may have to see how spread out people are and pick another place, but that is the plan for now. Kathy will be coordinating this for us.

Sailaway—5 pm April 15, pool bar on Lido deck. This will be an informal event (no specific HAL help). We will all wear/carry something so we can find each other. Kathy will also coordinate this.

Meet and Greet (aka M&G)—Saturday April 16 starting at 4 pm in penthouse suite. George and Rand have graciously offered their cabin to host this event. They will coordinate drinks and snacks with HAL. Thanks so much for doing this, George and Rand.

Lunch—Sunday April 17 in MDR, around noon. Anyone interested should post and Kathy will work with HAL on the arrangements.

Wine Crawl—Thursday April 21 starting at 3 pm. Right now, we have 4 cabins who have offered to host. We will start on the lowest deck where we have a host cabin and work our way up to the penthouse, which George and Rand have (again) offered as our last stop. Here’s how it will work: each person will bring a bottle of wine and each cabin will be asked to provide a snack. We will designate places for people to drop off snacks before we start. Depending on how many people are interested, we may need more host cabins. Also, if we have enough people we may assign the first few stops to certain people to bring their wine to, then just work our way around the ship. As we progress, we will take wine and snacks with us, including as we leave the penthouse. We can get some snacks from room service, but we should all consider getting some while in port or bringing from home. This will give us some variety and allow us to pair snacks and wines. As we get closer and have a better handle on how many are coming, we can work details. We are also working on a special nametag/label we can use for this. Stand by while I see if I can find the right stuff. Trust me—if it works it will be fun and funny! And thanks to George for thinking of it!! I will coordinate this event.

So, please think about what things you would like to do and email me at the above address. Let me know if you don’t want to do things too!

In addition, I will need a little info from everyone who is participating:

Last name

Cabin number, if known

If you would be willing to be a host cabin for wine crawl, if needed.

I will keep the master list and get it to others who are coordinating events with HAL. We do have to be careful we don’t have too many people in touch with HAL, but I think we will be OK there—we only have 2 events that require HAL help.

It won’t be long now, the cruise is right around the corner, so let’s get this party rolling!! Post or email if you have questions or suggestions.

Mary Lynn

Archived