Westerdam Panama Canal April 15, 2011

bcirish

Mary Lynn (ML), This is sounding great. Thank you for you organization efforts. We look forward to meeting an socializing with everyone from this board.

Cheers!

George

Hi George

yes, it is starting to get exciting. Did you hear about the port change in Costa Rica--we are going to Puntarenas now not Puerto Caldera!! got you email with your names and cabin number--thanks!!

ML

Thank you SO much George and Rand for offering up your Penthouse for some of the festivities. I'm SO excited:)!

Thank you Mary Lynn for organizing everything. I'm sure it's going to be a big job. Good thing you are retired;):D. Mary Lynn, you've got mail.

There will be a PBS show on TV Monday 1-24-11 about the Panama Canal. This is PBS's "American Experience" series. It will show in Oregon PST at 9:00pm. Check your local listings for your time zone.

Here is a link to that web page:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/panama/player/

I have not seen this show so I do not know what it is about, but these shows on PBS are always good.

Rick

Thank you SO much George and Rand for offering up your Penthouse for some of the festivities. I'm SO excited:)!

Thank you Mary Lynn for organizing everything. I'm sure it's going to be a big job. Good thing you are retired;):D. Mary Lynn, you've got mail.

Oooo--I will go check. I have had to make a note to myself to check the special emailbox I set up for us!! Allan keeps answering my requests and I am always tardy in responding! and I too am very grateful to George and Rand--I may just have to hug them both when we meet (fair warning)!!

There will be a PBS show on TV Monday 1-24-11 about the Panama Canal. This is PBS's "American Experience" series. It will show in Oregon PST at 9:00pm. Check your local listings for your time zone.

Here is a link to that web page:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/panama/player/

I have not seen this show so I do not know what it is about, but these shows on PBS are always good.

Rick

Rick

thanks for this--i will go look. Not on tonight--we checked!! i am going to assume you and Joyce will join us on M&G and wine crawl--i just need your last name and cabin number. i will keep the pressure on until I hear from you!! if you wait too long, i will sign you guys up to host a part of wine crawl:eek:

As an experienced canal cruiser, we expect you to help us!!

Has everyone seen the notice that we are changing our port in Costa Rica? Now we are going to Puntarenas, not Puerto Chiapas (or whichever port it was)> Anyone know if this is a god thing?

And why aren't we going to HMC!!!

ML

lorene

I sent you a response!!

To all-Lorene has offered her cabin for the wine crawl too, so right now i think we have all basic categories covered--inside, fully obstructed OV, balcony, aft balcony and PH.

So for any of you cruiser's who always wondered how the categories look, this is your chance. Plus, our hosts can answer any of those tricky questions you have. You know--how do you fit in the shower? or, do those windows open? and, how do you see what is happening outside? And my personal favorite--how good is that butler?

ML

Rick

thanks for this--i will go look. Not on tonight--we checked!! i am going to assume you and Joyce will join us on M&G and wine crawl--i just need your last name and cabin number. i will keep the pressure on until I hear from you!! if you wait too long, i will sign you guys up to host a part of wine crawl:eek:

As an experienced canal cruiser, we expect you to help us!!

Has everyone seen the notice that we are changing our port in Costa Rica? Now we are going to Puntarenas, not Puerto Chiapas (or whichever port it was)> Anyone know if this is a god thing?

And why aren't we going to HMC!!!

ML

Pressure..oh no...I'll go right away and post our information tonight. Yes, we will be at the M&G and we are bringing two bottles of OR wine from a family member's winery that received awards for their wine. One Pinot Noir and a Pinot Gris from Oregon.

Joyce just mentioned to make sure everyone knows about the Panama Buns the ship has available on the Promande deck and the bow while going thru the canal. They are pretty good and are usually out in the moring before lunch. It's kind of a tradition with HAL just like the Split Pea soup in Alaska.

Well if you took the 7 day cruise to the Caribbean before this cruise like we are doing you'd get to HMC.....I can bring pictures?

Rick

The change in port for costa rico is fine. Puerto Caldera is the cargo port. On our 2009 trip they changed to Puntarenas during the trip. We arrived and the ship turned so the back was to the shore. Great view of the town. Buses for the tours came right to the ship on the dock. Small vendor market set up along the boardwalk. Also had shuttle from the ship to the end of the dock.

here's a picture of the dock:

http://cid-07afc87cdf2f6dca.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Panama%20cruise%202009/DSC%5E_7891.jpg

Picture back at ship:

http://cid-07afc87cdf2f6dca.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Panama%20cruise%202009/DSC%5E_7891.jpg#resId/7AFC87CDF2F6DCA!324

Picture of the beach:

http://cid-07afc87cdf2f6dca.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Panama%20cruise%202009/DSC%5E_7891.jpg#resId/7AFC87CDF2F6DCA!314

Joyce just mentioned to make sure everyone knows about the Panama Buns the ship has available on the Promande deck and the bow while going thru the canal. They are pretty good and are usually out in the moring before lunch.

Oh those buns are so yummy although I've heard some peeps saying they don't like them:confused:. I've scarfed my share down.

The change in port for costa rico is fine. Puerto Caldera is the cargo port. On our 2009 trip they changed to Puntarenas during the trip. We arrived and the ship turned so the back was to the shore. Great view of the town. Buses for the tours came right to the ship on the dock. Small vendor market set up along the boardwalk. Also had shuttle from the ship to the end of the dock.

here's a picture of the dock:

http://cid-07afc87cdf2f6dca.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Panama%20cruise%202009/DSC%5E_7891.jpg

Picture back at ship:

http://cid-07afc87cdf2f6dca.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Panama%20cruise%202009/DSC%5E_7891.jpg#resId/7AFC87CDF2F6DCA!324

Picture of the beach:

http://cid-07afc87cdf2f6dca.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Panama%20cruise%202009/DSC%5E_7891.jpg#resId/7AFC87CDF2F6DCA!314

I agree, the port we are going to is better IMO.

lorene

So for any of you cruiser's who always wondered how the categories look, this is your chance. Plus, our hosts can answer any of those tricky questions you have. You know--how do you fit in the shower? or, do those windows open? and, how do you see what is happening outside? And my personal favorite--how good is that butler?

ML

You haven't lived until you expereince a shower on a Princess ship. They are so tiny that you're better off soaping up the walls and spinning around. HAL showers are much better.

We are staying at the Hampton Inn on 12 Ave, don't know how close that is to Los Olas. Once Kathy lets us all know what she picks for a location for the pre crusie dinner we'll be there. Thanks to George & Rand for offering their Penthouse to host one of the stops for the wine crawl. Thanks to Kathy for organizing the other activities. And thanks again to Mary Lynn for getting a handle on all things and been the keeper of the list. Starting to really look forward to the cruise and finally meeting every one. See you all on board or for the pre cruise dinner for those of us that are there early.

Allan Marlane:D:D

Yes, we will be at the M&G and we are bringing two bottles of OR wine from a family member's winery that received awards for their wine. One Pinot Noir and a Pinot Gris from Oregon.

OMG, Rick this is great!! I love wines from up there, can't wait. Thanks for doing this--very thoughtful!!

Joyce just mentioned to make sure everyone knows about the Panama Buns the ship has available on the Promande deck and the bow while going thru the canal. They are pretty good and are usually out in the moring before lunch. It's kind of a tradition with HAL just like the Split Pea soup in Alaska.

I've heard about these! Lookig forward to trying them--if i can beat Lorene to the tray;)!

Well if you took the 7 day cruise to the Caribbean before this cruise like we are doing you'd get to HMC.....I can bring pictures?

Would have been fine with me, but DH is still working and has already accounted for all vacation this year!!

Oh those buns are so yummy although I've heard some peeps saying they don't like them:confused:. I've scarfed my share down.

Good to hear--I have heard mixed reviews in the past:)

You haven't lived until you expereince a shower on a Princess ship. They are so tiny that you're better off soaping up the walls and spinning around. HAL showers are much better.

Too funny--creates an interesting mental pix!! I like the Mardi Gras bead idea. Let's see if we can all agree on that? It will help that at least some will be able to have dinner the night before.

ML

PS: Rick thanks for the pix--I am going to check the gmail account for your info. Hope it's there, or there will be severe consequences:D

Hi! Not on your cruise to start (darn darn) but have been peeking at your roll call as we will board in San Diego for the ride up the coast.

Having been to the canal recently I discovered this video from hulu. "Superstructures of the World - Panama Canal" It's 52 minutes but after the first ONE I was hooked. So, if you miss the PBS show (or even if you don't) give this a try ...

[quote=NoWhiners;27612333

I've heard about these! Lookig forward to trying them--if i can beat Lorene to the tray;)!

Hope you can run fast. I usually get up at 5am on Panama Canal day. It's not to see the canal.....it's to get some of those buns:D;).

Hope you can run fast. I usually get up at 5am on Panama Canal day. It's not to see the canal.....it's to get some of those buns.

Thanks for this tip. We'll be up at 4:30 :p

We'll save you some buns:):)

I was looking at my list and comparing it to our original roll call list (that bcirish did). Only about half (maybe less) of people who were on her list have responded to the invitations for events. I wonder why they don't like us?? Do I smell bad or something;):D?? Going to take a shower now...

ML

Thanks for this tip. We'll be up at 4:30 :p

We'll save you some buns:):)

I was looking at my list and comparing it to our original roll call list (that bcirish did). Only about half (maybe less) of people who were on her list have responded to the invitations for events. I wonder why they don't like us?? Do I smell bad or something;):D?? Going to take a shower now...

ML

Just think....more Panama buns for us;). I'm wondering if peeps have cancelled....either that or they don't drop by as often as we do.

Hope you can run fast. I usually get up at 5am on Panama Canal day. It's not to see the canal.....it's to get some of those buns:D;).

We woke up at 5:30 and noticed the ship had slowed down. Looked out our window to view lights of ships off our starboard side. I grabbed the binoculars and counted 28 ships moored just outside the canal.. Turns out these ships wait until there is a break in shipping and they then go thru at a lower cost. Like standbys. Turns out HAL paid around $300,000 Fro the Westerdam to go thru the canal during the day time at a specific time in 2009.

So getting up before 5:00am is probably better since we scrambled that morning to get up get shower and get dressed so we did not miss anything.

Rick

Rick

HI All,

Bill and I are a definite yes for the M&G and Wine Crawl. We have volunteered our cabin as one of the stops.

I liked the idea of the Mardi Gras Beads to identify our rollcall CC friends. They look better than the cheap colored leis we have used in the past. We will meet for the sailaway at the Pool Bar that is located aft on the Lido deck 10-15 minutes after muster drill. We will have great music and a view of FtL sinking astern as we head out for our Panama Canal adventure! This should be a great chance to get acquainted.

A Cruise Critic lunch has been proposed. I would like to suggest that it be held the 2nd sea day (17 April) around noon in the MDR. This would give us a chance to become better acquainted. I will need a head count so I can let the ship DR staff know so they can reserve a section where we can sit together.

We will be staying at the Embassy Suites on the 17th street causeway. There is an Outback Steakhouse next door. About a block further down the street is a Comfort Inn & Suites Cruiseport hotel. I thought it was a Hampton Inn but I had my hubby Google the area and it was a Comfort Inn. They offer a free ride to the port. There is also a Total Wine store next to the Embassy where you can stock up on wines, bottled water, and mixers. On our last cruise people like me who bought over a case of wine were able to tape a room tag on the box and it was loaded with the luggage and made it to our room very quickly. If someone knows a better place to eat that is close by let me know. Outback works as it has a little of everything for everybody.

I hope to see you all there.

:D

We woke up at 5:30 and noticed the ship had slowed down. Looked out our window to view lights of ships off our starboard side. I grabbed the binoculars and counted 28 ships moored just outside the canal.. Turns out these ships wait until there is a break in shipping and they then go thru at a lower cost. Like standbys. Turns out HAL paid around $300,000 Fro the Westerdam to go thru the canal during the day time at a specific time in 2009.

So getting up before 5:00am is probably better since we scrambled that morning to get up get shower and get dressed so we did not miss anything.

Rick

Rick

Yeah, the ship is pretty dead at that time. When I work I usually get up at 4:45am so I hate to drag my butt out of bed on holidays:rolleyes:. This will be my 6th time to the canal and I'm looking forward to it like it was my first. I never seem to stay in the same spot. I love to wander around.

HI All,

A Cruise Critic lunch has been proposed. I would like to suggest that it be held the 2nd sea day (17 April) around noon in the MDR. This would give us a chance to become better acquainted. I will need a head count so I can let the ship DR staff know so they can reserve a section where we can sit together.

:D

Please count me in the the lunch. I love to eat in the dining room. The lido doesn't do it for me. Thanks for organizing this!

Outstanding, go Beavs. I graduated there in 1974 & played basketball also.

Joyce is retiring the end of March but I am going to continue to work another year and a half but have saved enough time to do this 23 day cruise.

The changes on ship have been minor. One area of change is the crows nest now houses the library/internet area and also has the Exploration cafe there. There is still plenty of seats over looking the bow though.

We went all the way to Seattle the last time and our daughter drove up and picked us up. Even though it was a 5 hr. drive it was a lot better than flying home.

Rick

I graduated from OSU in 1986, after taking a break for a few years. So you were on the team in the early Ralph Miller years then - that must have been fun.

Just curious, when you went to Seattle what did you do on the day you were in Astoria. I'm thinking we may just stay on board and enjoy the ship. I am looking forward to the convenience of being able to drive home after the cruise (our son is scheduled to pick us up). Although more days in the Carribean sounds pretty great too.

Great pictures from your first PC cruise. I really enjoyed looking at them, thanks for sharing. We're just starting to look for excursions and stuff. I can't believe we're less than 90 days away.

Hi hc

We will have each person bring a bottle of wine and each cabin provide a snack. It would be nice to use a public area for the wine, but usually the wine steward finds out, then comes and demands that we give them $18 per bottle corkage. So, what we will do is use a few cabins as "hosts", then go to them one at a time as a group. i will post more details in a few minutes!! i will also need last names and cabin numbers, if known, as well as which activities you want to participate in. More info in my next post!

Thanks for the information on the wine crawl. Good point about the public areas. I knew there was a corkage fee in the dining room but didn't realize that there was a corkage fee in any public area. Good thing we've got experienced people to show us newbies the ropes. :D

Just think....more Panama buns for us;). I'm wondering if peeps have cancelled....either that or they don't drop by as often as we do.

Yummy--I am thinking this may be our breakfast!! We were planning on getting up pretty early (just like Rick) and then getting out on deck. Do you know what the earliest time to order a room service breakfast is? I don't think the Lido serves until 6 am. I MUST have coffee though, so we need to work this. Does the Lido have coffee 24/7?

I hope you're right and people will start checking back in--otherwise, as with the buns, more wine for me;)

ML

Archived