Westerdam Panama Canal April 15, 2011

bcirish

HI Everyone,

We made final payment today so now I just need to fill out the boarding documents and count the days!:D WoooHOOO!

For those that will be in FtL on 14 April I was thinking of having us meet at the Outback for Happy Hour at 6:30pm and sitting down for dinner at 7pm to allow for any late arrivals due to flight delays. Pls let me know if you would like to join us. I will have my Mardi Gras beads on so you can find me.

So far I have 10 people who have signed up for lunch. I hope to see you soon.

Kathy

HI Everyone,

We made final payment today so now I just need to fill out the boarding documents and count the days!:D WoooHOOO!

For those that will be in FtL on 14 April I was thinking of having us meet at the Outback for Happy Hour at 6:30pm and sitting down for dinner at 7pm to allow for any late arrivals due to flight delays. Pls let me know if you would like to join us. I will have my Mardi Gras beads on so you can find me.

So far I have 10 people who have signed up for lunch. I hope to see you soon.

Kathy

We have also just made our final payment so we're all ready to go.:D Now we'll go over the HAL excrusions and maybe book some. The Outback for Happy Hour sounds good. We will be there. Where is that, is that on 17 St in Los Olas?

Allan & Marlane:):)

We also made our final payment today. We changed our reservation for the 14th from the Hampton to the Hyatt Place on 10th Ave which I think is next door to the Outback. So we'll be there for drinks at 6:30.

We are Bill & Jan Fawley from Houston. This will be our 4th full transit of the Canal.

See you on the 14th.

To All: thanks for your graciousness. The lame one and I talked about it and we will attend all the events except the pre-cruise dinner. We will be in Orlando and driving down to Miami in the morning. Need to see some of that country. Pat is so excited he can hardly contain himself. He now wants to touch the sides of the canal. So there is another picture op. I just had surgery on my knee to repair the miniscus (sp) tear. I have every hope that it will be as good as new in just a few weeks. Once again Thanks. Debbie

Glad you are coming to the wine crawl. My wife saw someone touch the side of the canal in 2009 but could not find me for the "photo op" so we are going to do it this time. You are right, the trip thru the canal is a real thrill, so much so ....here we go again.

We are reading some books on the canal and how it was built. Hard to believe they could build the thing back in 1904-14.

Rick

I paid yesterday and also had my air carrier cancel my flight home. How nice. They promised to comp me an overnight hotel and some food $ but when pressed for something in writing the story changed dramitically. Now instead of getting a direct flight home and arriving at 5:30pm I'm getting home at 10:55pm. So crazy because I live near the left coast. Not thrilled with Westjet right now:eek:.

I paid yesterday and also had my air carrier cancel my flight home. How nice. They promised to comp me an overnight hotel and some food $ but when pressed for something in writing the story changed dramitically. Now instead of getting a direct flight home and arriving at 5:30pm I'm getting home at 10:55pm. So crazy because I live near the left coast. Not thrilled with Westjet right now:eek:.

ugh, Lorene--how did this happen? Did they not have enough people booked or just decided to change the schedule? that is a big change--are you planning on going into work the next day? Sound like they are routing you way east to come back west? this stinks--what a way to end a nice vacation.

ML

ugh, Lorene--how did this happen? Did they not have enough people booked or just decided to change the schedule? that is a big change--are you planning on going into work the next day? Sound like they are routing you way east to come back west? this stinks--what a way to end a nice vacation.

ML

I'm wondering how it happened too. My colleague who travels with Westjet quite often said that they seemed to make several changes to their schedules in the last couple days. I used to love Westjet but they suck now. Used to hate Air Canada something fierce and now they are my preferred carrier. How things change.

On an unrelated subject we are getting another blast of winter and lots of snow. 2 days ago I was wandering around without a coat on at lunch. I'll be so glad to get out of here in 13 days.

We also made our final payment today. We changed our reservation for the 14th from the Hampton to the Hyatt Place on 10th Ave which I think is next door to the Outback. So we'll be there for drinks at 6:30.

We are Bill & Jan Fawley from Houston. This will be our 4th full transit of the Canal.

See you on the 14th.

Hello Bill & Jan sounds like there are six of us so far.We're staying at the Hampton on 12th Ave which by the siunds of it is not that far, so we can walk from our hotel to the Outback. See you on the 14th.

Allan & Marlane:D:D

HI All,

Bill and I are a definite yes for the M&G and Wine Crawl. We have volunteered our cabin as one of the stops.

I liked the idea of the Mardi Gras Beads to identify our rollcall CC friends. They look better than the cheap colored leis we have used in the past. We will meet for the sailaway at the Pool Bar that is located aft on the Lido deck 10-15 minutes after muster drill. We will have great music and a view of FtL sinking astern as we head out for our Panama Canal adventure! This should be a great chance to get acquainted.

A Cruise Critic lunch has been proposed. I would like to suggest that it be held the 2nd sea day (17 April) around noon in the MDR. This would give us a chance to become better acquainted. I will need a head count so I can let the ship DR staff know so they can reserve a section where we can sit together.

We will be staying at the Embassy Suites on the 17th street causeway. There is an Outback Steakhouse next door. About a block further down the street is a Comfort Inn & Suites Cruiseport hotel. I thought it was a Hampton Inn but I had my hubby Google the area and it was a Comfort Inn. They offer a free ride to the port. There is also a Total Wine store next to the Embassy where you can stock up on wines, bottled water, and mixers. On our last cruise people like me who bought over a case of wine were able to tape a room tag on the box and it was loaded with the luggage and made it to our room very quickly. If someone knows a better place to eat that is close by let me know. Outback works as it has a little of everything for everybody.

I hope to see you all there.

:D

I'm confused is there an Outback on 17th Ave and on 10th Ave or only the one?

Allan & Marlane:confused:

I'm confused is there an Outback on 17th Ave and on 10th Ave or only the one?

Allan & Marlane:confused:

AS I recall, there is only 1 and it is on 17th but I am sure Kathy can confirm. You can also try google maps to see how close you are?

We are still trying to get others in our group to reply to anything!! talk about herding cats...:)

ML

I'm wondering how it happened too. My colleague who travels with Westjet quite often said that they seemed to make several changes to their schedules in the last couple days. I used to love Westjet but they suck now. Used to hate Air Canada something fierce and now they are my preferred carrier. How things change.

On an unrelated subject we are getting another blast of winter and lots of snow. 2 days ago I was wandering around without a coat on at lunch. I'll be so glad to get out of here in 13 days.

I have heard good things about Air Canada but we have never used them. good luck with this change.

As we head into February, I find myself wanting at least one snowstorm. We have had 2 very minor storms pass through--one at Thanksgiving and one around xmas. Not looking to be with you up there or anything, but it would be nice to have one storm. Lately, it has been beautiful here--warm, sunny, and clear. A few clouds/potential for rain early this week.

Soon, we should be able to go in and do online checkin--then it will start to feel the real excitement (and look to see what cabin we get)!!

ML

I have heard good things about Air Canada but we have never used them. good luck with this change.

As we head into February, I find myself wanting at least one snowstorm. We have had 2 very minor storms pass through--one at Thanksgiving and one around xmas. Not looking to be with you up there or anything, but it would be nice to have one storm. Lately, it has been beautiful here--warm, sunny, and clear. A few clouds/potential for rain early this week.

Soon, we should be able to go in and do online checkin--then it will start to feel the real excitement (and look to see what cabin we get)!!

ML

I'd love to send some snow your way. I haven't been outside since I got home from work on Friday....and I don't want to. I'm worried about getting to work tomorrow.

You can do the online check in any time after booking. I assume you mean filling it out? I sent my info into HAL yesterday to get my OBC for $250. I bought 100 shares a while ago to get the OBC with my cruises. Not only has the stock gone up in value but I've gotten well over $1000 in OBC's from it.

I'd love to send some snow your way. I haven't been outside since I got home from work on Friday....and I don't want to. I'm worried about getting to work tomorrow.

You can do the online check in any time after booking. I assume you mean filling it out? I sent my info into HAL yesterday to get my OBC for $250. I bought 100 shares a while ago to get the OBC with my cruises. Not only has the stock gone up in value but I've gotten well over $1000 in OBC's from it.

How and where do you buy HAL shares? Thanks

Yes, it is the Outback on 10th street. Sounds like we are going to have a nice turnout for dinner. We are about to get clobbered with sleet and ice and then 8-12 inches of snow. I have my groceries put away and I am ready to hunker down for a few days and just wait for the spring thaw. I wish we were leaving this Friday instead of a couple months from now.:rolleyes:

How and where do you buy HAL shares? Thanks

They are actually CCL (Carnival Cruise Line) shares. You can use these shares to get an OBC on Carnival, Princess or Holland. I just bought mine through an online broker. I bought them maybe about 2 years ago so they were a lot cheaper.

I am in the process of booking a tour in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. There are 4 of us going but it can accommodate 4 more people which would also put the cost down. If anyone is interested email me and I will give you more information... kdevries (at) shaw (dot) ca...replace with appropriate symbols...It includes zip lines but also has an alternative nature walk for those in the tour that don't want to zip line...

I Googled Outback & it is located at 1801 SE 10th Ave (954) 523-5600 around the corner from Embassy Suites on 17th St. The Hyatt Place is next to Outback at 1851 SE 10th Ave.

This explains why I am so confused--it is sort of in both places!! We went to this Outback when we last cruised out of FLL and I remember it being next to Embassy Suites. We walked to it, so i never knew the street it was on.

I forgot that you can fill out the forms anytime after final payment. Maybe I will start this now, since it is such a pain to collect up all the info. We looked into buying CCL shares but they were too high so we decided to just book future cruise credit and get a little OBC this way.

Yes, it is the Outback on 10th street. Sounds like we are going to have a nice turnout for dinner. We are about to get clobbered with sleet and ice and then 8-12 inches of snow. I have my groceries put away and I am ready to hunker down for a few days and just wait for the spring thaw. I wish we were leaving this Friday instead of a couple months from now.:rolleyes:

My wish has come true--we are getting snow tonight and tomorrow, maybe the next day!! not a lot but chance for snow through Wednesday. Along with snow will be record breaking cold--down to -2 on Wednesday night, and the daytime highs will be in the 20's:eek:

Still not sure about the dinner--no word from anyone from the family! Good thing we still have time!

ML

I forgot that you can fill out the forms anytime after final payment. Maybe I will start this now, since it is such a pain to collect up all the info. We looked into buying CCL shares but they were too high so we decided to just book future cruise credit and get a little OBC this way.

ML

Actually you can do the online check in as soon as you BOOK the cruise. You don't need to have made final payment.

Actually you can do the online check in as soon as you BOOK the cruise. You don't need to have made final payment.

I think I knew that but it always seemed too much of a good thing to do the paperwork before final payment--what if we changed our minds? what a waste;)

We got 6" of snow yesterday and today; still snowing now and is supposed to tomorrow too. Still not anything like you guys up there though. i actually had to go out and shovel--driveway was easy, most snow had melted. the deck was a lot harder. reminds me why I don't really miss snow at all (and why we need to get a storm once in a while so we don't forget how nice our weather really is). That, and reading all the posts from people in the NE and up in Canada talking about how much snow they have. Lots of problems from snow collapsing roofs to making it hard to see around corners when driving. And a bunch of folks worrying about if they will make it to their cruiseports this Friday and weekend. And 1 woman was posting about her hubby trying to get to indianapolis from FLL. he ended up driving the last bit and we were all waiting for news he made it home Ok (he did)!

Did you make it out to work today or did you have to stay in? saw sapper posted she was getting cabin fever. That would be hard:eek:

stay warm

ML

I think I knew that but it always seemed too much of a good thing to do the paperwork before final payment--what if we changed our minds? what a waste;)

We got 6" of snow yesterday and today; still snowing now and is supposed to tomorrow too. Still not anything like you guys up there though. i actually had to go out and shovel--driveway was easy, most snow had melted. the deck was a lot harder. reminds me why I don't really miss snow at all (and why we need to get a storm once in a while so we don't forget how nice our weather really is). That, and reading all the posts from people in the NE and up in Canada talking about how much snow they have. Lots of problems from snow collapsing roofs to making it hard to see around corners when driving. And a bunch of folks worrying about if they will make it to their cruiseports this Friday and weekend. And 1 woman was posting about her hubby trying to get to indianapolis from FLL. he ended up driving the last bit and we were all waiting for news he made it home Ok (he did)!

Did you make it out to work today or did you have to stay in? saw sapper posted she was getting cabin fever. That would be hard:eek:

stay warm

ML

Yeah, I don't do mine super early but I get it done a few months before because I always seem to be short of time.

I made it in to work yesterday but it was very difficult. I walk a good half mile so I can get a seat on the bus in the morning and it was COLD -28C. There was so much snow by the curb the bus stopped in the middle of the street so I had to crawl over a snow bank to get on the bus. A couple of years ago I tore the meniscus (sp) in my knee so it's never been the same. Trying to pull myself on the bus was not fun. This was the high point of my day. Once I got to work it was worse. For 10 cents I would have walked out of there. I woke up with one heck of a migraine at 1am that was still carrying on this morning so I didn't go to work. It was better by mid morning but I just didn't have the energy to make it into work. I only miss a day or 2 every couple of years so I'm not too worried about it.

Yeah, I don't do mine super early but I get it done a few months before because I always seem to be short of time.

I made it in to work yesterday but it was very difficult. I walk a good half mile so I can get a seat on the bus in the morning and it was COLD -28C. There was so much snow by the curb the bus stopped in the middle of the street so I had to crawl over a snow bank to get on the bus. A couple of years ago I tore the meniscus (sp) in my knee so it's never been the same. Trying to pull myself on the bus was not fun. This was the high point of my day. Once I got to work it was worse. For 10 cents I would have walked out of there. I woke up with one heck of a migraine at 1am that was still carrying on this morning so I didn't go to work. It was better by mid morning but I just didn't have the energy to make it into work. I only miss a day or 2 every couple of years so I'm not too worried about it.

Lorene

That sounds truly dreadful! I never thought about climbing over snow to get onto bus--that could be really hard. Today, hubby's work started at 9 am (usually 7:45 I think); my old workplace was on a 2 hour delay; schools were closed for a 2nd day. Not too much snow, but it was soooo cold and windy last night, it froze up the roads. Is is possible/allowed for you to work at home? When i worked, I telecommuted every Friday for most of my last 10-12 years--it was great. It does require that you be working on stuff that you can do alone or maybe via occasional phone/email. pretty popular here in the US--what about Canada?

I have been watching news stories of weather in Chicago and can't believe people are getting trapped in cars overnight on paved city streets:eek: it is still bitter cold here--I had to bundle up just to run out and feed the birds earlier this afternoon. Only out for about 5 minutes and I dressed like I was going to the arctic, and was still completely frozen when i came back inside. Told the dog no walk to the park (or anywhere) today:D. I have also been reading posts by people worried about getting out of the mid-west tomorrow to get to Florida for their cruises. That would really piss me off if I couldn't get out and missed a cruise;)

Hope your knee (and head) are doing Ok now

ML

Lorene

That sounds truly dreadful! I never thought about climbing over snow to get onto bus--that could be really hard. Today, hubby's work started at 9 am (usually 7:45 I think); my old workplace was on a 2 hour delay; schools were closed for a 2nd day. Not too much snow, but it was soooo cold and windy last night, it froze up the roads. Is is possible/allowed for you to work at home? When i worked, I telecommuted every Friday for most of my last 10-12 years--it was great. It does require that you be working on stuff that you can do alone or maybe via occasional phone/email. pretty popular here in the US--what about Canada?

I have been watching news stories of weather in Chicago and can't believe people are getting trapped in cars overnight on paved city streets:eek: it is still bitter cold here--I had to bundle up just to run out and feed the birds earlier this afternoon. Only out for about 5 minutes and I dressed like I was going to the arctic, and was still completely frozen when i came back inside. Told the dog no walk to the park (or anywhere) today:D. I have also been reading posts by people worried about getting out of the mid-west tomorrow to get to Florida for their cruises. That would really piss me off if I couldn't get out and missed a cruise;)

Hope your knee (and head) are doing Ok now

ML

My head is better today. We've had a few days last year caught on the bus from bad weather. I remember one storm last year when it took 3 hours to get home. I was lucky. Some peeps didn't get home until 3 or 4 am. We never used to have such snowy winters. Cold yes...snowy no. The last 3 years have been this way. I'm so fed up with it.

We have the ability to work from home but it is frowned upon. I've done it the odd time but they don't like it too much. We have a lot of slackers at work and they can't be trusted so we all have to be painted with the same brush.

My head is better today. We've had a few days last year caught on the bus from bad weather. I remember one storm last year when it took 3 hours to get home. I was lucky. Some peeps didn't get home until 3 or 4 am. We never used to have such snowy winters. Cold yes...snowy no. The last 3 years have been this way. I'm so fed up with it.

We have the ability to work from home but it is frowned upon. I've done it the odd time but they don't like it too much. We have a lot of slackers at work and they can't be trusted so we all have to be painted with the same brush.

Glad your head is better. It is true that having slackers around makes it hard for others but it seems like this should be done on a case-by-case basis. too bad--I used to love to telecommute. I could do laundry while i worked or if repairmen came, I could wait for them and not waste a day of vacation. it was also a great excuse not to leave the house to run errands!!

You are getting close to your next cruise aren't you? That thought should keep you warm!!

ML

Archived