Westerdam Panama Canal April 15, 2011

bcirish

Alright, you talked me into it. I just booked it. I really don't like having to pay for stuff ahead of time. Princess just puts it on your onboard account and I like that better. This excursion was also cheaper through Princess. The food is really nice on Las Calletas. They make it sound like you only get one drink. We gave the guy $5 each and we had as many drinks as we wanted. That said I don't usually drink during the day although I drink a ton of water. The BFF comment is too funny.

Oh goody--can't wait. Maybe ours is more because we get all our drinks/food? We read it to mean we got lots of drinks but I could be wrong. We can pay for drinks (or try your technique!) and it will be fine. We drink tons of water but also wine or beer in the afternoon. It is a bit annoying to have to pay right away but at least this expense will be done by the time we get there. Doug (hubby) thinks that it is better to sign up and then cancel if we change our minds. he is a bit worried excursions will sell out and then we will be stuck!!

ML

Gidday!

My name is Storm'n Norman and I am one part of "The Cruise Duo"! My girlfriend Ann (the other half of "The Cruise Duo") and I have just booked this cruise!

I am an Aussie (born and bred in Melbourne, Australia) and Ann is from Florida! We currently reside in Destin, FL.

To date we are also cruising this year on the Carnival Glory to the Eastern Caribbean on the 27 Feb for 7 nights, with you all on the Westerdam through the Panama Canal in April for 22 nights to Seattle, followed by the Carnival Spirit to Alaska in May for 7 nights. Then we have booked the Carnival Magic Transatlantic in October 2011 for 16 nights from Barcelona to Galveston, TX! As you can see, we are avid cruisers who over 2009/10 have spent almost 160 days @ sea!

We are both keen photographers and love to meet fellow cruisers from ALL over the world!

Combined we will have cruised on 90 plus cruises! We are fun experienced cruisers in the prime of our lives (mid 50's) who met on a ship in November 2008 and enjoy cruising to the hilt!!

We look forward to meeting you all on board! Please add our names to the M & G! I will now read the previous replies!

Finally, we arrange independent tours in each of the ports of call......So if anyone else is interested in touring with The Cruise Duo, then e-mail us below and I'll post details once I know more!

More later....:)

Welcome aboard, looks like our little group is getting bigger, the more the merrier. Mary Lynn and Kathy are organizing a few activities on board as you can tell when reading past posts. Looking forward to meeting you on board.

Allan & Marlane:D:D

Oh goody--can't wait. Maybe ours is more because we get all our drinks/food? We read it to mean we got lots of drinks but I could be wrong. We can pay for drinks (or try your technique!) and it will be fine. We drink tons of water but also wine or beer in the afternoon. It is a bit annoying to have to pay right away but at least this expense will be done by the time we get there. Doug (hubby) thinks that it is better to sign up and then cancel if we change our minds. he is a bit worried excursions will sell out and then we will be stuck!!

ML

I never did the Princess one so I don't know. My tablemates on my last cruise told me the excursion was $45 or something and I knew it wasn't that cheap so I looked on the info. I think they charged $85. On the HAL website I thought it said choice of drink. Makes me think 1. I think they only allow 100 peeps there so I think it's a good idea to book ahead. This includes people booked through HAL and independently. When I went last April it wasn't full so it made it really nice.

We are in for a bunch of snow again. Sounds like we could get well over a foot and Calgary can't handle it. I'm trying not to freak out but I have to be in the office this week because of major deadlines. I'm SO sick of this.

I never did the Princess one so I don't know. My tablemates on my last cruise told me the excursion was $45 or something and I knew it wasn't that cheap so I looked on the info. I think they charged $85. On the HAL website I thought it said choice of drink. Makes me think 1. I think they only allow 100 peeps there so I think it's a good idea to book ahead. This includes people booked through HAL and independently. When I went last April it wasn't full so it made it really nice.

We are in for a bunch of snow again. Sounds like we could get well over a foot and Calgary can't handle it. I'm trying not to freak out but I have to be in the office this week because of major deadlines. I'm SO sick of this.

Hmmm, I guess I don't know for sure but I went back and read the brochure. It says "buffet lunch and open bar" and at the end "Lunch and cooling beverages are included". Doug says this means all the iced tea/water/coke you can drink;) but I think it means beer nd those drinks with little umbrellas:D!! Another mystery to look forward to--along with our cabin assignment. For $100 in Mexico, we ought to be able to buy a place to live in :D:D Which reminds me--have you ever booked a guarantee? Several weeks ago I was resigned to actually getting a fully-obstructed OV, which is fine with me, but now when i go check, they have availability of all categories again. So, now i am encouraged--maybe we will get an unobstructed OV, which I think may be the best we could hope for. Anyway, my question is: do they ever assign guarantees this far out? I think i will go start the online check in tomorrow and see if we have a cabin. Doubtful, since they are still selling all categories, although the choices are limited. The only OV listed are HH, all interior categories are available and I think all verandahs and suites too. (I went to HAL site and pretended to book so I could see). I was a little surprised that the prices are the same as they were before final payment date.

I can't believe you will be getting more snow and no way to just stay in and avoid it. I hope you get enough of a break to catch your flight to your next cruise. We will light a candle for you!!

ML

Hmmm, I guess I don't know for sure but I went back and read the brochure. It says "buffet lunch and open bar" and at the end "Lunch and cooling beverages are included". Doug says this means all the iced tea/water/coke you can drink;) but I think it means beer nd those drinks with little umbrellas:D!! Another mystery to look forward to--along with our cabin assignment. For $100 in Mexico, we ought to be able to buy a place to live in :D:D Which reminds me--have you ever booked a guarantee? Several weeks ago I was resigned to actually getting a fully-obstructed OV, which is fine with me, but now when i go check, they have availability of all categories again. So, now i am encouraged--maybe we will get an unobstructed OV, which I think may be the best we could hope for. Anyway, my question is: do they ever assign guarantees this far out? I think i will go start the online check in tomorrow and see if we have a cabin. Doubtful, since they are still selling all categories, although the choices are limited. The only OV listed are HH, all interior categories are available and I think all verandahs and suites too. (I went to HAL site and pretended to book so I could see). I was a little surprised that the prices are the same as they were before final payment date.

I can't believe you will be getting more snow and no way to just stay in and avoid it. I hope you get enough of a break to catch your flight to your next cruise. We will light a candle for you!!

ML

I hope I get out of here for my flight. The weather is "supposed" to be nice by then but we'll see. I'm trying to get some packing today. I'll be off Thursday but I'll have to clean then too:rolleyes:. Interesting that the brochure says something different then the website for that shorex. I think booze is included.

I almost always book a guarentee on Hal. Hal generally doesn't assign cabins until about 3 weeks out. One time I had to wait until 3 days before. The average come about 2 weeks out. I did a B2B in Oct. and they assigned that one about 4 months out. I've never seen that with HAL. I think we'll have a while to wait for ours. The fact that they are pretty much out of "outside or outside obstucted" would lead me to believe we could be upgraded. Don't trust my judgement on this however. Everytime I think I'll get something good I get nada. When I think I'll get nothing and I end up with something good.

The Cruise Duo's 10 Commandments!

Having cruised extensively throughout the world, we are great believers in the following 10 Commandments of Cruising! We post these everytime we cruise.

1.Thou shalt not expect to find things as thou left them at home... for thou hast left home to find things different.

2.Thou shalt not take anything too seriously... for a carefree mind is vital to a good vacation.

3.Thou shall not let other travelers get on thy nerves... for thou paid good money to enjoy thyself.

4.Thou shalt not forget… thou are a representative of your country at all times.

5.Thou shalt not worry... for he who worrieth hath no pleasure and few things are fatal.

6.Know where the passport is at all times... for a traveler without a passport is a traveler without a country.

7.As a stranger in a strange land... be prepared to do as its people doeth.

8.Thou shalt not judge all people of a country… by the one person who hath given thee trouble.

9.Blessed is the traveler who can say thank you in any language... for this and a smile doubles the value of any tip.

10.Remember thou are a guest in every land... and those who treat their hosts with respect shall be treated likewise.

More later...:)

The fact that they are pretty much out of "outside or outside obstucted" would lead me to believe we could be upgraded. Don't trust my judgement on this however. Everytime I think I'll get something good I get nada. When I think I'll get nothing and I end up with something good.

Interesting--now I am thinking the people who took unobstructed OVs will get balconies and we will get an unobstructed. This is great--I love the suspense!!

Hope the weather clears enough for you to get out--if you get your chores done (clean up your room, wash the dishes, etc)!!!:D

ML

Interesting--now I am thinking the people who took unobstructed OVs will get balconies and we will get an unobstructed. This is great--I love the suspense!!

Hope the weather clears enough for you to get out--if you get your chores done (clean up your room, wash the dishes, etc)!!!:D

ML

Lets just cut out the middle man and take the balconies ourselves:D;).

Sorry I have not been reading or posting much during your latest discussion on excursions so…..here are the ones we have booked along with comments on our previous excursions

All of the excursions we are taking are HAL excursions.

Oranjestad, Aruba—None this year. In 2009 we did an independent island tour with Bob Bini in Aruba that we picked up right outside the dock. It was a 15-20 passenger bus, AC, with a good tour guide who drove us all over island for 4 hours. About $15 USD per person, well worth it.

Puntarenas, Costa Rica—Poas Volcano & Cloud Forest. In 2009 we did Picturesque Sarchi, bus tour to beautiful Sarchi and the town Grecia. It was a good tour.

Corinto, Nicaragua—Colonial Leon. In 2009 we did Colonial Leon and the Mud pots HAL excursion. It was a pretty town and church and we enjoyed it. This time we want extra time to walk around the town.

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala—Antigua on Your Own. In 2009 we did a Myan Museum and sugar mill tour—The Mayas of La Democracia, it was not a real great tour and it is not on HALs list this year.

Puerto Chiapas, Mexico—Chiapas Through the Ages: Izapa Rui. In 2009 all of our Mexico stops were canceled due to the “swine flu” so I do not have any experience with Mexico excursions except Puerto Vallarta which I will talk about below.

Huatulco, Mexico—La Crucesita & Scenic Drive.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico--None. We are walking two blocks to our time share and sitting by the pool. We may go downtown for a couple of hours also.

A lot of the excursions here go thru Vallarta Adventures. Here’s their web site:

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/ You can match up the HAL excursions with their web site descriptions.

We have done many excursions thru Vallarta Adventures and we have always been satisfied, good company.

The best one is Las Caletas. Beautiful beach, sunny and shaded. Lots of things to do. Good buffet lunch and all drinks are free.

Here is a link to the first of 6 pictures on our website album of Las Caletas:

http://cid-07afc87cdf2f6dca.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Puerto%20Vallarta%20Feb.%202010/DSC%5E_0111.JPG#resId/7AFC87CDF2F6DCA!1209

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico—Discover Todos Santos.

For those of you going north from San Diego and stopping in Astoria OR we think the best excursions that we would take are:

Historic Astoria & Fort Clatsop

Ultimate Oregon Coast

We have done most of the stops within these excursions and they are all good.[/b]

Rick

Glad everyone enjoyed the 10 Commandments!

Now it's been a tradition that EVERY TIME The Cruise Duo cruise, to enjoy a "Bubbles Sail-A-Way Party" (see our signature photo below) as we head out of port (see our signature photo).....and in this case it will be no different!

So anyone interested in joining us, it's B.Y.O. Bubble Guns and a good fun time is guaranteed to be had by all! Wear a ZANY hat and you'll feel part of the crowd! You'll soon understand why!

Finally, do we have any Mahjong players out there? The Cruise Duo challenges all those who enjoy the game! We even teach those willing to learn! Let us know here if you are interested in playing!

Info on some group tours coming soon. PLEASE indicate which ports would be of interest (either here or by e-mail), so we can get an idea of numbers and where fellow cruisers would like to go and see!

More later....:)

Sorry I have not been reading or posting much during your latest discussion on excursions so…..here are the ones we have booked along with comments on our previous excursions/COLOR][/b]

rick

thank you so much for posting this info, especially the pix. DH feels much better about Las Caletas now! I think we are pretty happy with what we have booked so far, and we are hoping Stormin' Norman find something good in Nicaurauga. It will be an interesting mix--bubble guns and mardi Gras beads, at sailaway! Too bad wwe didn't know about bubble guns sooner!!

ML

Thanks to everyone for sharing information about excursions. We're still contemplating and researching.

Rick (RAJKR74) -How wonderful that you'll be able to visit your own vacation home - I'll try not to be to jealous!;) With your endorsement of Las Caletas that makes at least three people here who say it is great. I'm almost convinced, but I'm also wondering about swimming with the dolphins. I suppose we could do that in Cabo but it costs more in Cabo and looks like it is the same thing. Since you are familiar with the area, how realistic is it to do the dolphins on our own? The HAL markup seems pretty high! How far is it from the Port to where the dolphins are?

Hi hc

All the ones I listed are thru HAL. The train forest might be sold out. Our theory is that as excursions sell out, they aren't listed anymore on the "book excursions" site. I could be wrong--this is just our speculation. We decided not to go to far into mexico--have done it before and would rather spend time on beaches/water!!

Interesting post about Easter in Latin America--I knew it was going to be Easter but never thought it would be a problem for excursions.

ML

Thanks ML for the reply, I see the one you're doing now, not sure how I missed it. I'm still wondering about the Holy Week thing. In what I've seen on the internet I think some of the festivities could be really interesting.

Welcome to the Cruise Duo. You two sound like you have a lot of energy! This is only our second cruise and we're still a bit wary of doing stuff without HAL but we might get brave if you arrange something that is tempting!

I'm not really use to these boards and find myself wondering how to keep multiple conversations going without being rude. I still don't have the Quote thing down yet either! I'm thinking I know there were other posts I wanted to respond to but now can't recall them, or can't recall the who posted! Also, I feel a bit like a voyeur sometimes reading other peoples messages and/or breaking into your conversations. So apologies if I've missed any "board" etiquette! I'll figure it out if I linger long enough I guess. :o

Rick (RAJKR74) -How wonderful that you'll be able to visit your own vacation home - I'll try not to be to jealous!;) With your endorsement of Las Caletas that makes at least three people here who say it is great. I'm almost convinced, but I'm also wondering about swimming with the dolphins. I suppose we could do that in Cabo but it costs more in Cabo and looks like it is the same thing. Since you are familiar with the area, how realistic is it to do the dolphins on our own? The HAL markup seems pretty high! How far is it from the Port to where the dolphins are?

Here's the link to Vallarta Adventures and the Dolphin Encounter:

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours/dolphin-encounters

The price at this site is $79 direct with them and $69 if you book on the internet. To get to the venue which is north of the dock in Nuevo Vallarta you take a taxi for about a 20-30 min. trip at $20(e) each way. I checked the site for times of the day to do the dolphins. The times available for 4-28-11 are 10:00, 12:00, 2:00, 3:00 & 5:00. The 10:00 times is sold out and I would not do the 3:00 nor the 5:00, don't want to miss the ship leaving.

You will not be able to do Las Calitas and this encounter the same day. We would do Las Calitas again but we did it last Feb. 2010. We have not done the dolphin encounter so we have no experiance there.

If you have additional questions maybe we could talk on the phone. Our e-mail address is rreedfam (at) comcast (dot) net. Just substitute the proper symbols.

You are doing great on posting. It gets easier as you post more.

Rick

I'm not really use to these boards and find myself wondering how to keep multiple conversations going without being rude. I still don't have the Quote thing down yet either! I'm thinking I know there were other posts I wanted to respond to but now can't recall them, or can't recall the who posted! Also, I feel a bit like a voyeur sometimes reading other peoples messages and/or breaking into your conversations. So apologies if I've missed any "board" etiquette! I'll figure it out if I linger long enough I guess. :o

No worries about etiquette, as Rick said!! And just ask your questions--don't worry about finding the exact post. it can take a long time to find old ones.

It never seems to me that anyone is interrupting and many conversations are going on at the same time. Just jump in and we will all help out!!

I'm glad you found the excursion--we were getting different results than our friends a few weeks ago and i was worried something had changed again. But i do have an email confirming all we booked. We considered the dolphins too but decided a day at the beach would be fun and relaxing since we will almost be at the end of the cruise (and DH has to go to work the following Monday! Not me--ha ha:)!!

ML

Cruise Duo - welcome aboard or almost aboard. So glad to have more folks to repair all the world's evils over a few wonderful days at sea. Just do us both a favor and don't tell my dear dear husband that you are from Australia. His brother went there as an exchange student back in the 70's and he didn't get to go and will bend your ears about his brother's wonderful adventure until you will want to push him overboard and if I'm around you will have to hold me back from doing it for you. Debboe

Cruise Duo - welcome aboard or almost aboard. So glad to have more folks to repair all the world's evils over a few wonderful days at sea. Just do us both a favor and don't tell my dear dear husband that you are from Australia. His brother went there as an exchange student back in the 70's and he didn't get to go and will bend your ears about his brother's wonderful adventure until you will want to push him overboard and if I'm around you will have to hold me back from doing it for you. Debboe

Too funny:):)! I was supposed to teach a class in Australia 2 years ago, but when the economy tanked, they cancelled:( Too bad--first class airfare part of the deal!!

ML

We just booked our excrusions, they are all done on the HAL web site. We have done private ones before and not had any problems although we had a couple of close calls and came pretty close to missing the ship. It may cost more but we feel more comfortable this way.

We just booked our excrusions, they are all done on the HAL web site. We have done private ones before and not had any problems although we had a couple of close calls and came pretty close to missing the ship. It may cost more but we feel more comfortable this way.

Hi Allan and Marlane

Can you tell us which ones you booked--it would be good to know what everyone is thinking of doing?

Thanks

ML

Good day everyone. Just checking into the board as I have been away for a while. We have just bought a house, and that has preoccupied my time more than travel plans, but time to get back on track, as April will be here before we know it. We will be staying over in Seattle a few days post cruise, then boarding another ship for an Alaskan adventrue as well. With all the snow and ice this year, I am ready to get out to warmer climates of the Panama Zone.

Cheers All,

George

Just getting ready to head out on my Mexican cruise. I fly out tomorrow so I'm trying to get everything tied up here. It's been a very hard week with all the snow and one of my colleagues was let go from work yesterday. Not pleasant. Talk to you all when I return. May even make a post while I'm gone as there is some cheap internet here and there.

Hi Norman and Ann,

If you are going to be in FtL on the evening of April 14th I am taking names of anyone who would like to meet for a pre-cruise dinner at the Outback. We have 3 couples so far for dinner. The Sailaway Party is scheduled 15 minutes after the Muster drill completes. We are meeting at the Pool Bar on the Lido deck. Wear some Mardi Gras beads to ID yourself as a CC poster. I am also organizing a CC lunch on the second at sea day at noon. This will allow us to get further acquainted after initial intros at the Meet and Greet the day before.

I have an aft balcony cabin on this trip and had been kicking around the idea of blowing some soap bubbles off the balcony as we made our way to the canal. I just may visit Walmart and pick up some solution and a ring to blow bubbles.

I am so tired of winter and snow and ice. We escaped the last storm on Monday. I sure hope it warms up as advertised this weekend. I can't wait for this cruise so we can head out for warmer waters. See everyone soon!

Good day everyone. Just checking into the board as I have been away for a while. We have just bought a house, and that has preoccupied my time more than travel plans, but time to get back on track, as April will be here before we know it. We will be staying over in Seattle a few days post cruise, then boarding another ship for an Alaskan adventrue as well. With all the snow and ice this year, I am ready to get out to warmer climates of the Panama Zone.

Cheers All,

George

Hi George

I was wondering what was up with you!! Congrats on a new house--always exciting but a lot of things to do. What brought this on--good market, just time for a change??

People are starting to sign up for excursions and we have had a new (and energetic:)) couple join us in the past week or so--Stormin' Norman and Ann (aka The Cruise Duo). They will be attending the M&G, lunch and wine crawl (I think).

keep us posted on the house and your travel plans!!

ML

Just getting ready to head out on my Mexican cruise. I fly out tomorrow so I'm trying to get everything tied up here. It's been a very hard week with all the snow and one of my colleagues was let go from work yesterday. Not pleasant. Talk to you all when I return. May even make a post while I'm gone as there is some cheap internet here and there.

Lorene

You lucky dog--wish i was going too!! Have a great time (and have a glass of wine for me:D!! We had to let 2 guys go the last 10 months or so i was working--had a bad effect on everyone.

Enjoy the cruise, warm weather, and hope you have no issues getting out of town!

ML

Archived