Cruise insurance and active duty military question

stressedmomof3

I have a question for someone who has Tricare Prime. I call and keep getting different answers so hoping a veteran cruiser can answer this for me.

My family and I are all traveling this summer on Carnival to Progresso and Cozumel. Should I get the cruise insurance or will Tricare cover all medical expenses for us if something happens?

I am not worried about not making the trip-just having the kids with me and something happen with them ( breaking an arm or something) and having to see the Dr. onboard or go to a hospital in one of the ports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have heard everything from it's out of pocket and oh well for us- to out of pocket and we get reimbursed to everything is covered and not to worry about it.

Just want to be covered but not making the mistake of paying for something that is already covered .

thanks.;)

We have tricare as our insurance because my husband is retired army and collects a pension.

We have had to use it on cruises. Your "primary" physician makes the referral overseas if you can reach him. It is covered, including being airlifted off the ship by helicopter. It will cover the ships doctor as well but you do have to pay some up front but we always got the same back as using out of network in the US. Many foreign hospitals accept tricare, and if they don't, you have to leave a deposit and you get it back. Also, there are bases through out the world and you can get medical care at any base.

We always call the base before we go (We use Ft Drum in NY) and find out the latest "easy way" and some numbers to the countries you will be visiting, and ask how they would like the cruise ship doctor billed, if we have to use them. Carnival is very good about US military and did not charge us a cent upfront when I broke my hand. They billed the Tricare and they paid the bills. Tricare works better than travel insurance medical so we never duplicate the services.

Retire Navy here!! Tricare Prime. At home if you know how the system works its great!!

Tricare out of network can be costly too, if your put in the hospital in a Foreign country - they pay "I think" 70% of "allowable charges" after deductable. But you can end up being billed for whatever tricare did not pay above the allowable charges.

We get other insurance which will pick up the remainder or most of it!

Luckly we have never needed the ships doc! But as we get older this has crossed our minds alot!

I have Tricare Prime. My husband is Active Duty Army. I had to use my Tricare in France for my daughter. I called the American Embassy and they sent me to a hospital that accepted Tricare. All expenses were paid. I am not sure if that is the case in all countries. I am pretty sure that not all places will accept insurance.

I work in the insurance field and I tell my traveling members who think they might need care outside the US that most likely they will have to pay out of pocket and then submit for a reimbursement. You will need the name of the provider, the TIN, phone number and address of the provider and any and all diagnosis and procedure codes. Most plans that have out of network benefits will pay. Also you will need to make sure that all that is in English. And you might be required to submit medical records to support your injury/illness. You have no ideal how many people go to Mexico for services that are NOT covered under their medical plan and then come back to the US and submit a claim for a broken arm. We have a whole department that investigates international medical claims.

Cruise ship claims are treated the same as any other international claim. Just make sure you get reciepts for any services rendered by the ships doctor and get your medical records as well.

Archived