The Good, The Bad, The Ugly...

TwoWeebles

Tell me about NCL! I want to hear the great stuff, and the not so great stuff! I am a "Royal" girl and have never tried another brand, but I am looking to cruise in June 2012 with my hubby and my son. We will be ages 41, 40, and 8 by then. I want to hear everything! Tell me about the food, the rooms, the entertainment, the kids program, the ships...anything you can think of! And don't forget to tell me what ship you were on!!

Tell me about NCL! I want to hear the great stuff, and the not so great stuff! I am a "Royal" girl and have never tried another brand, but I am looking to cruise in June 2012 with my hubby and my son. We will be ages 41, 40, and 8 by then. I want to hear everything! Tell me about the food, the rooms, the entertainment, the kids program, the ships...anything you can think of! And don't forget to tell me what ship you were on!!

we have been on 6 or 7 of the current NCL ships so have a pretty good idea what they are like:

Though we haven't sailed RCI recently, from what I have read, witnessed etc the two lines are more alike than different. Of course dining is the big difference. NCL has the freestyle and no traditional dining, RCI, as you know offers both.

The cabins are very similar, depending on the ship you choose. The entertainment might be a hair better on NCL but that is certainly a matter of opinion. the kids program on both lines is very good.

Food seems to always be an issue and a never ending subject for discuusion. I just read a review today about RCI not offering the variety they used to and the reason according to the reviewer was, the push to get people to use the specialty dining rooms. People will tell you the same about NCL. who knows. Dress code the same: the last couple reviews I have read aboiut RCI and Princess there have been negative remarks about people wearing cargo shorts, flip flops and t shirts in the dining room. People say the same about NCL.

Cost wise, NCL is usually a little less expensive and sometimes has one more port than RCI, but not always. As you can tell, my opinion is, there is little difference in the two lines. It is simply a matter of opinion. We are inclined to prefer NCL, others will tell you the opposite.

Nita

NCL and RCCL are my and DH's favorite cruise lines. I love each one for different reasons. NCL offers so much more dining options than RCCL but RCCL has ships that knock my socks off (Voyager, Freedom and the fabulous Oasis class).

NCL has a variety of specialty restaurants with different cuisines and decor. I love that variety and no other cruise line does that as well as NCL.

I have cruised on NCL's latest and greatest, Epic and have cruised on RCCL's latest and greatest Oasis. I loved both ships, the entertainment was top notch on both ships and the dining experiences were both great with a bit of a nod to Epic. For an exceptional dining experience, however, 150 Central Park on Oasis was superb but that was the most upcharge we ever paid (but very well worth it).

Well...... if you are not into the stuffiness of formality when it comes to having a meal in both MDRs and speciality spots, NCL just may be for you. If you do enjoy the shirt / tie suit/gown scenario with the associate formal nights, NCL may not where you wanna be. NCL freestyle has people like me who dine in jeans/t-shirt/sandals even during their “dress up or not nights” because I hate shirt/tie while on vacation. More to the point, if you do decide to put on your finery, all well and good and nothing wrong with that. Be forewarned though, you may be sitting across from somebody dressed like me (jeans) and we do that because NCL says we can.

That’s the big difference with NCL as compared to other lines.

;)

Does "freestyle" dining refer only to being able to dress casually? Or does it mean that you can show up to dinner at any time? We definitely would be interested in the more casual attire. I like to dress up from time to time, but NOT when I am on vacation! It will be a nice change of pace. And even if I was dressed in a ball gown, I don't care who wears shorts. Not my business and it does not bother me in the least.

Does "freestyle" dining refer only to being able to dress casually? Or does it mean that you can show up to dinner at any time? We definitely would be interested in the more casual attire. I like to dress up from time to time, but NOT when I am on vacation! It will be a nice change of pace. And even if I was dressed in a ball gown, I don't care who wears shorts. Not my business and it does not bother me in the least.

Yes, Freestyle dining is when YOU decide and where you decide to eat. It is great on port days, as the restaurants are open around 5:30 pm - 10 pm and thus you don't need to hurry up and rush to make an assigned dinner seating. You also have the choice to dine at upcharge restaurants as well as comfort food venues. You get a lot of choices on NCL. ;)

Freestyle means eat what you want when u want.. want dinner at 6pm 7 8 doesnt matter u pick the time and go.. also means you are on vaca.. In the main dinning room casual dress blue jeans is fine buffet shorts are fine.. If are like me I dont dress up for anything but a wedding.. and for my cruise next month ill pack a couple pair of clean blue jeans and couple nice clean shirt.. i dont even own a pair of dress pants or tie.. im very casual.. Ive even told my family when i die burry my in shorts and TN vols t shirt.. I dont wear suites during my life and dont wanna wear one when i die..

I have cruised both lines, and really I am not a dress up person, we go to dinner dressed respectably but no suits gowns...I love RCL, but tend to book NCL more just because I like the relaxed atmosphere...I like to dine when I want.

We were on the Radiance of the Sea a few months ago and did their my dining - but you have to tell them approximately what time you will be arriving - but that kind of defeats the purpose of my time...

The Spirit and the Pearl were my favorite ships - will be on the Epic soon, looking forward to the new experience.

I have never had any complaints about the food on NCL - if you really dislike what you are eating, the waiter will be more than happy to replace your meal..I am not familiar with any of the kids programs, but i have seen the kids in groups being taken to shows, etc...they all looked pretty happy to me..

Archived