Baltimore - DC

chadci

We've got a few cruises we're looking at for April but have to wait until the very last minute to book due to a scheduling crisis :rolleyes:

One is out of Baltimore which goes to Bermuda. My wife and I were talking this morning about driving into Baltimore a day early and then spending a day in DC before we set sail. According to Mapquest, it's only about 45 minutes away so that's easily doable. How bad is traffic there going to be on a Saturday? She's never been and pretty much wants to see the White House, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Memorial and reflection pond. If we have time we might take in a museum or head over to Arlington cemetery.

If we do this cruise, we're likely going to stay at the Best Western that offers parking for the week and shuttle to / from the port.

Any thoughts on:

A. the drive down and back

B. It's been 20 years or so since I visited DC, I don't remember how close these places are to each other and or can we park somewhere and walk to each?

C. Any thing else I need to be aware of?

I live pretty close to DC. If you can make it from Baltimore to DC in 45 minutes, that's good. On a Saturday expect LOTS of traffic. The Lincoln Memorial gets a good crowd (sometimes lots of school children on a field trip). I love DC museums (Smithsonian especially).

In all, I think you're going to have a busy day. Instead of flying into Baltimore, I suggest flying into DCA and grabbing a rental car... it'll save you a bunch of time and hassle. Have fun! ;)

I live pretty close to DC. If you can make it from Baltimore to DC in 45 minutes, that's good. On a Saturday expect LOTS of traffic. The Lincoln Memorial gets a good crowd (sometimes lots of school children on a field trip). I love DC museums (Smithsonian especially).

In all, I think you're going to have a busy day. Instead of flying into Baltimore, I suggest flying into DCA and grabbing a rental car... it'll save you a bunch of time and hassle. Have fun! ;)

Sorry for the confusion. we'll be driving into Baltimore. It's the closest port from home at 9 hours. Perhaps we should drive into the DC area, spend the night there, visit DC and then head up to Baltimore the night before the cruise.

Mapquest suggest 45 minutes but that's only based on milage I believe.

45 minutes is a reasonable estimate for travel time on a Saturday, and Washington is an easy day trip from Baltimore (I've done it plenty of times). The highways leading into town should be flowing fairly freely, barring an accident or something like that. Though, the Outer Loop (westbound) of the Capital Beltway (I-495) between Silver Spring and Bethesda is often slow, any day of the week, simply because of heavy volume.

I don't know for sure, but when a previous poster mentioned heavy traffic, I think he was referring to downtown Washington itself, not the highways leading there. Downtown is indeed busy on that day with tourists, but it's nothing like the weekday commuter rush. It would probably be cheaper, and certainly easier (not having to check in and out at a second hotel), to go ahead and stay at your Baltimore-area hotel both nights, and just drive down to Washington for the day.

Be aware that parking in D.C. is expensive, and not always easy to come by. There is a surface lot below Independence Avenue, between 15th and 17th streets, from which you could walk to all the places you want to see. Otherwise, you either have to find a space on the street (a hit-or-miss proposition) or park in a garage somewhere. (Garages in that part of town are located above Constitution Avenue.)

Another really good option is to use the Metro (subway). From the Baltimore area, follow I-95 south until, after it merges with the Beltway, you get to the Greenbelt station. Then, park your car and ride the train in from there. The closest station to where you want to be is Smithsonian. Not only is the Metro a nice ride, but by leaving your car at the Greenbelt Park & Ride, you don't have to worry about feeding the on-street parking meters, or racking up the charges in an expensive downtown garage.

I hope you have a great trip!

45 minutes is a reasonable estimate for travel time on a Saturday, and Washington is an easy day trip from Baltimore (I've done it plenty of times). The highways leading into town should be flowing fairly freely, barring an accident or something like that. Though, the Outer Loop (westbound) of the Capital Beltway (I-495) between Silver Spring and Bethesda is often slow, any day of the week, simply because of heavy volume.

I don't know for sure, but when a previous poster mentioned heavy traffic, I think he was referring to downtown Washington itself, not the highways leading there. Downtown is indeed busy on that day with tourists, but it's nothing like the weekday commuter rush. It would probably be cheaper, and certainly easier (not having to check in and out at a second hotel), to go ahead and stay at your Baltimore-area hotel both nights, and just drive down to Washington for the day.

Be aware that parking in D.C. is expensive, and not always easy to come by. There is a surface lot below Independence Avenue, between 15th and 17th streets, from which you could walk to all the places you want to see. Otherwise, you either have to find a space on the street (a hit-or-miss proposition) or park in a garage somewhere. (Garages in that part of town are located above Constitution Avenue.)

Another really good option is to use the Metro (subway). From the Baltimore area, follow I-95 south until, after it merges with the Beltway, you get to the Greenbelt station. Then, park your car and ride the train in from there. The closest station to where you want to be is Smithsonian. Not only is the Metro a nice ride, but by leaving your car at the Greenbelt Park & Ride, you don't have to worry about feeding the on-street parking meters, or racking up the charges in an expensive downtown garage.

I hope you have a great trip!

Ohh, the subway trip down sounds just perfect. I trust they run on a pretty regular basis? Meaning if we left around 7AM and were ready to return to Baltimore around 7PM we would have no troubles?

Ohh, the subway trip down sounds just perfect. I trust they run on a pretty regular basis? Meaning if we left around 7AM and were ready to return to Baltimore around 7PM we would have no troubles?

On Saturdays, the Metro opens at 7:00 a.m. and stays open until 3:00 a.m. the next morning. (Smithsonian station closes at 10:00 p.m.) Trains run every 12-15 minutes throughout the day and into the evening. It is a very easy, convenient way to go.

On Saturdays, the Metro opens at 7:00 a.m. and stays open until 3:00 a.m. the next morning. (Smithsonian station closes at 10:00 p.m.) Trains run every 12-15 minutes throughout the day and into the evening. It is a very easy, convenient way to go.

Most excellent. Where are you finding these schedules? I googled it and everything thing that made sense to me ( which line etc) said it was Monday - Friday only.

Something else I just thought of. The Cherry Blossom Festival is March 26 through April 10, and the parts of town you want to see are right there where the cherry blossoms are. If you come during this time, DO NOT attempt to drive into Washington. Traffic will be a huge pain, and parking will be difficult or impossible. Definitely use the subway.

Something else I just thought of. The Cherry Blossom Festival is March 26 through April 10, and the parts of town you want to see are right there where the cherry blossoms are. If you come during this time, DO NOT attempt to drive into Washington. Traffic will be a huge pain, and parking will be difficult or impossible. Definitely use the subway.

Ohhh, I was wondering about that as it would be 4/8. I'm glad we would get to see them but :eek: it's gonna be busy! The subway will be a must do for sure.

Is it underground or above ground?

And thanks by the way, you've been a huge help.

Ohhh, I was wondering about that as it would be 4/8. I'm glad we would get to see them but :eek: it's gonna be busy! The subway will be a must do for sure.

Is it underground or above ground?

And thanks by the way, you've been a huge help.

From Greenbelt to Fort Totten is above ground (on a grade-separated right of way), with a few short tunnel segments. The rest of the way is underground.

Glad I can be of help, and glad you'll be able to catch the tail end of the Festival; it's definitely worth seeing.

From Greenbelt to Fort Totten is above ground (on a grade-separated right of way), with a few short tunnel segments. The rest of the way is underground.

Glad I can be of help, and glad you'll be able to catch the tail end of the Festival; it's definitely worth seeing.

Oh yes, cannot wait to see it all... better bring a spare camera battery that day too!

Alright, the map makes sense to me based on what you've said. Looks like I would take the green line down from Greenbelt and then connect with either blue or orange line somewhere? Then go to Smithsonian / Mall station. I don't see that green goes to Smithsonian.

I've only ridden subways in NYC before so I assume the ones in DC are well marked and would say something like Smithsonian or...

Oh yes, cannot wait to see it all... better bring a spare camera battery that day too!

You will surely need that extra battery. Be prepared for a LONG day; there is so much so see! (And this doesn't even take into account if you want to see any of the Smithsonian museums.) I would recommend turning in early the night before (you'll be tired from your drive anyway) and then get an early start down to Washington.

Something else I thought of. If you're going to do the White House, go there first; tickets go quickly. (Check their website for details.) Ride the subway to McPherson Square station. After the tour, you can walk south along 15th Street to access the Washington Monument. Then head west along the Mall to the World War II Memorial, the Reflecting Pool, and the Lincoln Memorial. South and east from there is the Tidal Basin, where the cherry blossoms are. Then head back east to the Mall, the Smithsonian museums, and the Metro.

Like I said, it's a full day. Enjoy!

You will surely need that extra battery. Be prepared for a LONG day; there is so much so see! (And this doesn't even take into account if you want to see any of the Smithsonian museums.) I would recommend turning in early the night before (you'll be tired from your drive anyway) and then get an early start down to Washington.

Something else I thought of. If you're going to do the White House, go there first; tickets go quickly. (Check their website for details.) Ride the subway to McPherson Square station. After the tour, you can walk south along 15th Street to access the Washington Monument. Then head west along the Mall to the World War II Memorial, the Reflecting Pool, and the Lincoln Memorial. South and east from there is the Tidal Basin, where the cherry blossoms are. Then head back east to the Mall, the Smithsonian museums, and the Metro.

Like I said, it's a full day. Enjoy!

I don't know that we'll try to tour the White House this time. We want to bring our children back to DC at a later time to visit the museums and things. I'm glad we're going before though to kind of get a lay of the land.

We will want to at least pass by the white house, though.

I don't know that we'll try to tour the White House this time. We want to bring our children back to DC at a later time to visit the museums and things. I'm glad we're going before though to kind of get a lay of the land.

We will want to at least pass by the white house, though.

Probably wise, given all that you want to see. I would still recommend doing it in the order I mentioned, so that you get the White House seen and done, and you can take your time enjoying the other sights without having it in the back of your mind that you need to make the time to walk up to the White House.

Alternately, if you just want to say you laid eyes on the building and don't care if you get all that close, get off the subway at Smithsonian station and walk west to the Washington Monument. From there, look north and you'll have a clear, unobstructed view of the White House -- from a distance (maybe 1/2 of a mile).

Just adding to bus man's great info...the subways/Metro will also be a huge mob scene. There will be hoards of people packed in the stations catching trains. Security is on full alert.

We were in DC last year during the festival...never again. We drove and parked at our hotel for 2 nights. What would normally be a 45-50 minute drive, took 2.5 hours.

It was also very warm and the Smithsonian station was packed to the hilt and felt like a sauna early-mid afternoon. People were becoming very agitated, kids were screaming and crying and it took us 25 minutes or so just to get through the crowd congregated at the bottom of the escalator and then another 30 minutes or so to actually get on a train.

Hate to say this because we love DC, but my suggestion would be to visit at any other time of the year. If you're on the Metro early in the morning and perhaps early/late evening, you may be fine. After many, many trips to DC, we had never done the Cherry Blossom festival. Now, been there, done that, never again. Good luck. ;)

Alright, the map makes sense to me based on what you've said. Looks like I would take the green line down from Greenbelt and then connect with either blue or orange line somewhere? Then go to Smithsonian / Mall station. I don't see that green goes to Smithsonian.

I've only ridden subways in NYC before so I assume the ones in DC are well marked and would say something like Smithsonian or...

You've got the general idea. And yes, the system is well marked and MUCH easier to navigate than the one in New York. Greenbelt is a terminal station, so get on whatever train presents itself first. The destination sign will say Branch Avenue. Get off at L'Enfant Plaza station and then follow the signs to the Orange and Blue lines, heading towards Vienna/Franconia-Springfield. The two lines share a platform, so take whichever train comes first. Be sure to wait on the correct side of the platform, as the tracks heading in opposite directions are on either side of a center platform. Smithsonian station is the next stop. (If you get on the train and the next stop turns out to be Federal Center S.W., you've gone the wrong way; get off and cross over to the other side of the platform.)

At the end of the day, when you're heading back from Smithsonian, wait by the track heading towards New Carrollton/Largo Town Center. Transfer at L'Enfant Plaza to the Green Line heading towards Greenbelt. Be aware that this line shares a platform with the Yellow Line to Mt. Vernon Square, so make sure to read the destination sign of the train when it comes in. (Also, they announce which train is which when they arrive.)

On your way back, if you want to see the National Air and Space Museum (my personal favorite), it is closer to L'Enfant Plaza station, so you could just get on the Green Line directly from there.

In terms of the quality of the riding experience, the difference between the New York and Washington subways is the difference between a 15-year-old, rusty old clunker, and a brand-new, shiny Lexus. You will be amazed!

Ahhh, ok. I spotted the L'Enfant Plaza station on the map and I thought maybe.. just maybe that's where I wanted to go on the green to connect to blue / orange.

Found this map, I think it'll be helpful to get around. Just wish the subways were marked on it... but I assume they're close to where the Smithsonian is on the map.

Madelinerose makes a good point. Expect lots of crowds! Realizing that you may be locked in to when you visit, you may just have to deal with it. I wouldn't go so far as to say "don't go." I would just say, forewarned is forearmed. Be prepared for lots and lots of people. That said, it's a family-friendly event, so it's generally a good, positive atmosphere.

Ahhh, ok. I spotted the L'Enfant Plaza station on the map and I thought maybe.. just maybe that's where I wanted to go on the green to connect to blue / orange.

Found this map, I think it'll be helpful to get around. Just wish the subways were marked on it... but I assume they're close to where the Smithsonian is on the map.

Check out this great map from StationMasters:

http://www.stationmasters.com/System_Map/system_map.html

Click on the name of any station, and it will give you a highly detailed map of the area immediately around that station -- even to the point of showing which direction the escalators are facing when you emerge onto the street!

They also produce a map of the entire Central Washington area, including the subway stops. You have to purchase it separately (you can't download it from their website), but it's well worth it. More info here:

http://www.stationmasters.com/Buy_SM/buy_sm.html

Madelinerose makes a good point. Expect lots of crowds! Realizing that you may be locked in to when you visit, you may just have to deal with it. I wouldn't go so far as to say "don't go." I would just say, forewarned is forearmed. Be prepared for lots and lots of people. That said, it's a family-friendly event, so it's generally a good, positive atmosphere.

Oh, I'm not too worried about large groups of people. We'll plan to leave the hotel around 6AM which should get us to Greenbelt by the time they start running.

Ok, so the big question... what's good for lunch while we're there :D We'll try and do that early too.

Ok, so the big question... what's good for lunch while we're there :D We'll try and do that early too.

Have you ever been to the county fair? THAT'S what's for lunch, in the area you'll be. Your food will be provided by street vendors.

If you want something a little better than that, the Smithsonian museums have restaurants available. Keep in mind that it's free to enter these museums, so you can go inside to eat without paying an entrance fee. The Museum of American History has a food court in the basement. (Well, at least it used to; I can't say what they have now, as the museum has undergone an extensive renovation.) Check the Smithsonian's website for details on what the various museums have.

Archived