Baltimore - DC

chadci

Just found another option. We could catch Amtrak from either BWI or Penn Station in Baltimore and it would take us to Union Station in DC. Looks to be about $50 round trip for both of us BUT I wouldn't even have to drive to find parking for the Green Belt etc. I think the hotel shuttle could get us to BWI to catch the train.

Just found another option. We could catch Amtrak from either BWI or Penn Station in Baltimore and it would take us to Union Station in DC. Looks to be about $50 round trip for both of us BUT I wouldn't even have to drive to find parking for the Green Belt etc. I think the hotel shuttle could get us to BWI to catch the train.

We have a group of eight of us that will be sailing from Baltimore in a couple weeks and staying an extra day. We are thinking of using this option too.

I would argue against this option -- and it pains me to do so, because I love riding the train. But, Amtrak requires reservations for all Northeast trains, which would severely restrict your flexibility in staying in Washington as long as you would like.

If you do decide you want to do this, check with Amtrak to see how flexible they are in changing tickets. (I have no idea, as I've never done it.) If it's a matter of, just show up at the window and they'll change it, then it might be worth it. But otherwise, I think you'd find it too constricting to be tied down to one specific train departure.

Pity you can't be here on a weekday, because then you could ride the MARC commuter train down to Washington. There are no reserved seats, and it's much cheaper than Amtrak.

I would argue against this option -- and it pains me to do so, because I love riding the train. But, Amtrak requires reservations for all Northeast trains, which would severely restrict your flexibility in staying in Washington as long as you would like.

If you do decide you want to do this, check with Amtrak to see how flexible they are in changing tickets. (I have no idea, as I've never done it.) If it's a matter of, just show up at the window and they'll change it, then it might be worth it. But otherwise, I think you'd find it too constricting to be tied down to one specific train departure.

Pity you can't be here on a weekday, because then you could ride the MARC commuter train down to Washington. There are no reserved seats, and it's much cheaper than Amtrak.

My wife tires easily so I think if we got there around ( or before) 8-9AM and had a ride back booked for 7-8PM we would be fine. I realize it would limit our time but that should still allow plenty of time to see the main things we want to see.

We had about that much time in NYC 2 years ago and it took her about 2 days to recover. By that time we had moved up the coast to Boston and we didn't really leave the hotel other than to go to dinner. At least following a day in DC she'll have 2.5 days at sea before hitting port... that should get her going again :D

I went back and checked and MARC is what I had been looking at that showed Monday - Friday only. WE MIGHT be able to come out Thursday but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. Finding child care for 7 - 8 nights is tricky enough as it is, don't want to push our luck.

By reservations do you mean we would need to have our seats reserved ahead of the time we will be going or that we will need to purchase our return tickets when we buy our tickets to go to DC? We are flying in so not an option for us to drive to the Metro station but I think the motel offers a shuttle to the train station.

By reservations do you mean we would need to have our seats reserved ahead of the time we will be going or that we will need to purchase our return tickets when we buy our tickets to go to DC? We are flying in so not an option for us to drive to the Metro station but I think the motel offers a shuttle to the train station.

Once we decide that this is what we're doint 100% I'll pre-purchase our train tickets through Amtrak's website. You can go in and view the train schedules for the day you'll be there.

Is it possible to just go to the train station and buy your tickets there right before you leave? We could book ahead but leaving at this time of year weather may always be a factor. It's so nice, especially when you are dealing with four different couples, to be able to play it by ear and see what the day brings.

Is it possible to just go to the train station and buy your tickets there right before you leave? We could book ahead but leaving at this time of year weather may always be a factor. It's so nice, especially when you are dealing with four different couples, to be able to play it by ear and see what the day brings.

Yes, you can just show up at the station and purchase your tickets for the next train. Obviously, the risk you take is that the train will be sold out. I don't really think that's too likely, because the big market for train travel around here is heading northwards to New York. There are usually seats available between Washington and Baltimore, because a certain number of Baltimore travelers have booked seats heading up to New York, meaning that thru-riders from Washington can't get those seats -- and so they're available for local travelers between these two cities.

But remember, I make no guarantees. :)

Just so you know, if you're here on a weekday, a good option is the MARC commuter train. No reservations necessary; just show up, buy your tickets, and go. The fare is a fraction of what Amtrak charges. The Penn Line runs on the same tracks as Amtrak, and offers service throughout the day and into the evening. (Roughly, every 20-30 minutes during peak hours, and every 60-90 minutes at other times.) The Camden Line runs on a different track and offers only a limited, peak-period service that's geared for commuters (though anyone can use it).

However, MARC doesn't run on weekends.

If you can get a shuttle to BWI Airport, you have the option of using the Route B-30 Metrobus, which is an express route between the airport and the Greenbelt Metro station. The ride takes about 35 minutes, and the bus runs every 40 minutes, with the last bus leaving Greenbelt at 10:00 p.m. Service operates 7 days a week.

The only drawback is that it's not really geared for early birds heading to Washington; the first bus leaves the airport around 7:00 a.m. on weekdays and 9:30 a.m. on weekends.

If you can get a shuttle to BWI Airport, you have the option of using the Route B-30 Metrobus, which is an express route between the airport and the Greenbelt Metro station. The ride takes about 35 minutes, and the bus runs every 40 minutes, with the last bus leaving Greenbelt at 10:00 p.m. Service operates 7 days a week.

The only drawback is that it's not really geared for early birds heading to Washington; the first bus leaves the airport around 7:00 a.m. on weekdays and 9:30 a.m. on weekends.

That could work really well too. Parking at BWI near Amtrak is $9 per day and is roughly 6 miles from the hotel we would stay at, assuming a shuttle doesn't show up on time we can just hop in the car and go.

We will be there on Sunday March 27th so the Marc won't work for us but hopefully that isn't peak travel time from Baltimore to DC. We can get a shuttle to the Airport so that is another option. Thank you sooo much for all your help bus man. Sorry for horning in on your thread chadci, hope you don't mind.

We will be there on Sunday March 27th so the Marc won't work for us but hopefully that isn't peak travel time from Baltimore to DC. We can get a shuttle to the Airport so that is another option. Thank you sooo much for all your help bus man. Sorry for horning in on your thread chadci, hope you don't mind.

Nope, no problem. Bus Man should win an award or something!

Can I add something about food? You don't have to eat at the street vendors. Like someone said, each of the museums have food (Native American Museum is great.) But if you go one or two blocks off the main streets you can find all different eating places from McDonald to Subway to fancy places. I like Hard Rock Cafe which is next to Ford's Theatre.

Can I add something about food? You don't have to eat at the street vendors. Like someone said, each of the museums have food (Native American Museum is great.) But if you go one or two blocks off the main streets you can find all different eating places from McDonald to Subway to fancy places. I like Hard Rock Cafe which is next to Ford's Theatre.

Ohh, good tip.

I found the best little place to eat in Cozumel doing exactly that last May. Ran into our CD, Wee Jimmy there. It was almost weird, he knew us from the ship and we'd not met him before that point. Said it was his favorite place but I cannot for the life of me remember the name. La Shoza or something along those lines... I think. Hopefully I didn't just cus somebody out :D

Read52 is right, and it's good he/she pointed this out. The reason I didn't mention it is that I assumed you (the OP) would be in the vicinity of the cherry blossoms at lunch time, and it's a bit of a trek from there to the side streets mentioned. But I shouldn't presume to guess where you might be at what times, so this suggestion is well worth keeping in mind.

I've not eaten at the American Indian Museum (I have heard the food is good there), but for what it's worth, it's on the opposite end of the Mall from the cherry blossoms -- a distance of over a mile.

Can you give me an estimate on distance from Union Station > Capitol > White House > Washington monument > Lincoln Memorial > Tidal Basin > Grand Central I'm guessing 3 miles~ish? She wants to try to make it to Lincoln or the Basin on foot but I'm guessing we'll have to grab a cab to get back to Grand Central from that area.

I'm about to get my plastic involved. Are we sure that going down from Baltimore is better than getting a DC area ( Arlington maybe) hotel and then driving up to Baltimore?

As I typed that I thought.. well duh, I'm going to be on my feet that day a LOT, doubt i want to worry about traffic and finding my way someplace new :D

Can you give me an estimate on distance from Union Station > Capitol > White House > Washington monument > Lincoln Memorial > Tidal Basin > Grand Central I'm guessing 3 miles~ish? She wants to try to make it to Lincoln or the Basin on foot but I'm guessing we'll have to grab a cab to get back to Grand Central from that area.

I'm about to get my plastic involved. Are we sure that going down from Baltimore is better than getting a DC area ( Arlington maybe) hotel and then driving up to Baltimore?

As I typed that I thought.. well duh, I'm going to be on my feet that day a LOT, doubt i want to worry about traffic and finding my way someplace new :D

Three miles is a good estimate. You can knock some of that off by using the subway between the Capitol and the White House, and again from the Tidal Basin area back to where you're starting from.

As for the hotel question, the trade-off is the convenience of having a nearby hotel for when you want to start and end the day, versus the hassle of checking in and out of more than one hotel (one in DC, then another in Baltimore) -- and also the hassle of driving your car into the District. Personally, for me -- given that it's really not that long of a trip between Washington and Baltimore -- I'd rather minimize the check-ins and check-outs. But that's just me.

If money is an object, I can almost guarantee that it will be cheaper to stay near Baltimore than anywhere within the Capital Beltway.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn which offered free shuttle to the port. There was a train station right across the street within walking distance. I'm not sure if it takes you to DC or not though...but it might be something to look into if you hadn't already booked her hotel.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn which offered free shuttle to the port. There was a train station right across the street within walking distance. I'm not sure if it takes you to DC or not though...but it might be something to look into if you hadn't already booked her hotel.

I've not booked as of yet. Planning on the Best Western in Elkridge. I need a few things in order of importance:

1. Parking for the week

2. Shuttle to / from the port

3. Shuttle to / from Amtrak at BWI

Best Western is going to be a headache though. If I book the package through them it's nearly double the price of going through a third party. If I book through a third party I might not have the same room both nights so I would have to check out and back in again. I'll give them a call later and see if I get somebody with a clue, if not, I'll look at other options.

I assume that you're referring to the Comfort Inn near BWI Airport, in which case no, the train there does not go to Washington. It is the Light Rail, a local transit line that connects the airport with downtown Baltimore.

As for the Best Western Elkridge, it is very close to the Dorsey MARC station, which is served by the Camden Line. It's practically walking distance -- except that Dorsey Road doesn't have sidewalks. (It does, however, have shoulders; how brave do you feel?) I would assume that you could talk their shuttle driver into taking you there. Remember, though, MARC doesn't run on weekends. So if the shuttle can take you to the airport, that would be better.

I assume that you're referring to the Comfort Inn near BWI Airport, in which case no, the train there does not go to Washington. It is the Light Rail, a local transit line that connects the airport with downtown Baltimore.

As for the Best Western Elkridge, it is very close to the Dorsey MARC station, which is served by the Camden Line. It's practically walking distance -- except that Dorsey Road doesn't have sidewalks. (It does, however, have shoulders; how brave do you feel?) I would assume that you could talk their shuttle driver into taking you there. Remember, though, MARC doesn't run on weekends. So if the shuttle can take you to the airport, that would be better.

Yeah, if the shuttle can't get us to the airport train station we'll just drive over and park, no biggie.

How early should we be at the station? If the train departs at.. 6:30AM when should we be there? I'm usually 2 hours early for just about EVERY flight, I'm guessing I don't need to be THAT early for a train.

Archived