Baltimore - DC

chadci

How early should we be at the station? If the train departs at.. 6:30AM when should we be there? I'm usually 2 hours early for just about EVERY flight, I'm guessing I don't need to be THAT early for a train.

I'd get there about 15 minutes early. This allows for 10 minutes to buy your ticket (it shouldn't take nearly that long, but you never know if there'll be a line), and then a few minutes to cross the skybridge from the station to the southbound platform. (This is at the BWI train station; other stations are different, of course.) Be sure and buy a round-trip ticket, so that you won't have to stand in the ticket line at Washington Union Station before your return train.

The BWI station is small, but it does have a little snack stand (with coffee) and restrooms. Union Station is big, and beautiful; it has lots of restaurants (don't overlook the basement-level food court) and shops.

You probably know this already, but just in case you don't . . . there are no airport-style security checks at train stations. You just show up and go. There are no subway-like turnstiles either; you just walk right on to the train. The conductor will come around after you're seated to collect your ticket. (It's open seating, by the way.) If you fail to buy your ticket at the station, you can pay your fare to the conductor on the train; but you will be assessed a penalty.

I pulled up pictures of Grand Central in DC, holy moly it was beautiful to say the least.

Yes it is, indeed! Truly a monument to the glory days of railroad travel.

Not to be nitpicky, but it's called "Union Station." If you ask for directions to "Grand Central Station," you'll be sent to New York! :)

Yes it is, indeed! Truly a monument to the glory days of railroad travel.

Not to be nitpicky, but it's called "Union Station." If you ask for directions to "Grand Central Station," you'll be sent to New York! :)

HA! I know just a slip I guess. We visited Grand Central 2 years ago and It was on my mind as I viewed Union Station, also the name of our local train station

It too used to be beautiful inside, still is I'm sure but they've opened and closed so many different businesses in there. Everything from Hooters to fine jewlers.

My wife found a trolley tour of DC so I wrote to them today about tickets etc. The lady said they would have a start time much later in the day due to the parade... so I'm thinking DC is a no go. I'm guessing most of the main points we would want to visit will be pretty much blocked off in one way or another.

SO how should I kill my free day? I'll be in Baltimore but thinking a little jont up to Philly for some sandwiches for lunch could happen.

SO how should I kill my free day? I'll be in Baltimore but thinking a little jont up to Philly for some sandwiches for lunch could happen.

In Baltimore...The National Aquarium, Fort McHenry, historic Fells Point or just enjoy a day in the Inner Harbor area, perhaps a harbor cruise...tons to do.

http://baltimore.org/maps/

http://baltimore.org/

http://www.aqua.org/

http://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm

http://www.fellspoint.us/

Philadelphia is a 2+ hour drive from Baltimore.

If we go out of Baltimore, I think we might check out Annapolis too.

I'm still kind of in favor of Baltimore just because it's so much closer to home than Miami BUT from what I'm reading, my wife won't get much beach time in Bermuda early April.... which is OK with me.... we're starting to lean more towards the Half Moon Cay, San Juan, Grand Turk and St. Thomas out of Miami.

I'm still kind of in favor of Baltimore just because it's so much closer to home than Miami BUT from what I'm reading, my wife won't get much beach time in Bermuda early April.... which is OK with me.... we're starting to lean more towards the Half Moon Cay, San Juan, Grand Turk and St. Thomas out of Miami.

Oh, assumed (shouldn't have) you had chosen to leave from Baltimore.

Oh, assumed (shouldn't have) you had chosen to leave from Baltimore.

No, you were right to. It's half the time to get there as it is to Miami ( by car) and with us thinking we were going to DC for a day.... I'm locked in to being off the week I have off so I can't reschedule. it's either Bermuda with could be chilly OR San Juan, HMC, Grand Turk etc. which should give us time in the water AND sight seeing... at the expense of an 18 hour drive.

Archived