Still Confused about ID's.

dcedar

Not to start anything but why are so many people opposed to getting a passport? I understand the whole cost involved and especially if you have children but a passport is good for 10 years, why wouldn't you invest in one and just save yourself the aggravation of the possibility of being denied boarding or worse yet being stuck in a foreign port?

And to the OP, I still would bring along your certified birth certificate as an extra precaution even though your DL would do, why take the chance.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

I know this subject has been discussed a zillion times. I read Carnival's website and it confused me even more. Please don't post a quote from the website...it talks in circles:)

I have an Enhanced Drivers License. Is this enough? Will I need to bring any other ID at all?

In theory it is enough, BUT Carnival will have no idea what it is and will want either a passport or a birth certificate too. I assume since you are asking that you do not have a passport so bring a certified copy of your birth certificate along to avoid any issues.

I think people are confused by what you're actually asking. The answer to your question is YES, you still need to bring other ID. Not just your drivers license, you need a birth certificate too. It has to be one issued by the Dept. of Vital Statistics because those usually (not in all cases, depending on state) have a raised seal. Anyway, you can't bring a photo copy or a hospital issued birth certificate as they aren't considered "official".

And as others have said, a passport is optimum. But if you don't have one, your drivers license and proper birth certificate will get you embarked and debarked.

Hope this answers your question.

- Sharon -

You clearly don't understand what an enhanced DL really is. The OP should not have to have anything more than that for a cruise, but carnival is likely to have no idea what it is and will want more. As far as customs and immigration is concerned the enhanced DL is all that is needed.

I know this subject has been discussed a zillion times. I read Carnival's website and it confused me even more. Please don't post a quote from the website...it talks in circles:)

I have an Enhanced Drivers License. Is this enough? Will I need to bring any other ID at all?

If you have an EDL, this is all you need to board, however, it is my understanding that some Carnival vessels in the infinite wisdom, will still require another picture ID, I know same thing. Just for a complete peace of mind, I would suggest taking along the birth certificate with the raised seal, and if you do not have the birth certificate, go to your local DMV, and get a $10.00 ID made.

Mimgan

Not to start anything but why are so many people opposed to getting a passport? I understand the whole cost involved and especially if you have children but a passport is good for 10 years, why wouldn't you invest in one and just save yourself the aggravation of the possibility of being denied boarding or worse yet being stuck in a foreign port?

And to the OP, I still would bring along your certified birth certificate as an extra precaution even though your DL would do, why take the chance.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

It's not an investment, it's an expense. The ship advises you not to take your passport off the ship. You will not be stuck in a foreign port like some man without a country. What nonsense. A few phone calls made by the embassy or consulate and you will be on your way home. There was a post in another thread by someone who is a flight attendant and they have had people in foreign countries board with a letter. You're then checked when you return to the US.

Bring your BC with you, why would you chance it? I mean a lost BC costs a big maybe $20 thats alot cheaper then losing the money on your whole cruise. If they do not let you board you will not get your money back.....................

It's not an investment, it's an expense. The ship advises you not to take your passport off the ship. You will not be stuck in a foreign port like some man without a country. What nonsense. A few phone calls made by the embassy or consulate and you will be on your way home. There was a post in another thread by someone who is a flight attendant and they have had people in foreign countries board with a letter. You're then checked when you return to the US.

It's not as simple as "a few phone calls". Identity has to be established, confirmed, and paperwork has to be processed. You won't be stuck in a foreign port like a man without a country, but it is a major, major hassle.

That said, I understand where you're coming from. You consider it an expense. I consider it an investment as it means I'm not limited in where I can travel to. If I wish to randomly drive to Canada for the weekend, I can.

If you have an EDL, this is all you need to board, however, it is my understanding that some Carnival vessels in the infinite wisdom, will still require another picture ID, I know same thing. Just for a complete peace of mind, I would suggest taking along the birth certificate with the raised seal, and if you do not have the birth certificate, go to your local DMV, and get a $10.00 ID made.

Mimgan

Except all states issue birth certificates differently, and for different costs. People need to know how their state issues them, be it at the DMV, Town Clerk's Office, County Seat, or at a regional office.

It's not as simple as "a few phone calls". Identity has to be established, confirmed, and paperwork has to be processed. You won't be stuck in a foreign port like a man without a country, but it is a major, major hassle.

According to who?

That said, I understand where you're coming from. You consider it an expense. I consider it an investment as it means I'm not limited in where I can travel to. If I wish to randomly drive to Canada for the weekend, I can.

We're talking about cruising, freakin' obviously if you want to go somewhere you NEED a passport you NEED a passport. For closed loop cruises in the US you don't need it. I have one for other travel, but for those who only cruise from the US, it is an unnecessary expense. My investments increase in value. As posted by a flight attendant in another thread, a couple of phone calls to Homeland Security and it wasn't a major, major hassle.

Except all states issue birth certificates differently, and for different costs. People need to know how their state issues them, be it at the DMV, Town Clerk's Office, County Seat, or at a regional office.

Or, if they no longer live in their place of birth they just use http://www.vitalchek.com/ and have no problem.

According to who?

According to me, who has to help a co-worker get home from the Caymans with no ID. It was a major, major hassle. ICE insisted a duplicate passport be issued for re-entry to the US. Sometimes ICE is nicer than this though, from what I understand.

We're talking about cruising, freakin' obviously if you want to go somewhere you NEED a passport you NEED a passport. For closed loop cruises in the US you don't need it. I have one for other travel, but for those who only cruise from the US, it is an unnecessary expense. My investments increase in value. As posted by a flight attendant in another thread, a couple of phone calls to Homeland Security and it wasn't a major, major hassle.

Seeing as no one put the caveat in their question that it pertained solely to cruising, my argument still stands. And it's only an unnecessary expense until you want to go somewhere on something other than a cruise ship.

Seeing as no one put the caveat in their question that it pertained solely to cruising, my argument still stands. And it's only an unnecessary expense until you want to go somewhere on something other than a cruise ship.

I guess the name of the web site wasn't enough of a clue.

Take a look at all of the posts from people who thought they had valid ID, but were denied boarding -- ask them if they still think a passport is an unnecessary expense.

Why use something that is subject to interpretation? (sometimes by less than the sharpest people) :confused:

Not to be a pain, but with the OP's EDL, he/she CAN randomly drive to Canada for the weekend... (not fly though..)

Not to be a pain, but with the OP's EDL, he/she CAN randomly drive to Canada for the weekend... (not fly though..)

True enough, and the folks at the border actually know how to work with one. But, if you live in a state that doesn't offer an EDL (which the vast majority of Americas do), you need a passport.

It gets confusing, but if you are traveling from an American Port to and American Port by boat, you can get by with a DL. If something happens while you are gone and you would need to fly home, example a medical emergency or death at home, you cannot FLY across water to get back to America without a passport. Personally I would not leave to USA by boat without a passport, but that is up to you.

Have a Great Cruise!

If you are leaving from and returning to an American port, you need BOTH your DL and a birth certificate, unless you have a passport.

While an EDL is enough, a regular DL is NOT.

Take a look at all of the posts from people who thought they had valid ID, but were denied boarding -- ask them if they still think a passport is an unnecessary expense.

Why use something that is subject to interpretation? (sometimes by less than the sharpest people) :confused:

Bingo, you hit the nail on the head!

I'm going to give it about....oh...maybe 6 months or so.......that the cruiselines will be mandating passports.......

People have been cruising with b.c.'s and id for years and years.......for some reason today it is too confusing for people to comprehend.....

Get a passport if there is time. Sooner or later, if you cruise much, you'll need one, if not this time, then another time.

To get back to original question - a DL or EDL will be your government photo ID and birth certificate will be required to board. Passport or no passport is another thread.

To get back to the first part of the OP -- confusion over what is needed

There some people who are very confused about what is or isn't considered a birth certificate from Hawaii - what if they're working the check-in desk ;)

A passport is the easiest answer (although not the least expensive)

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU PEOPLE MESSING WITH ME?????

LOL

Okay. I am no longer confused. I am going to bring my EDL, DL, Pistol Permit, Birth Certificate, A Blood Sample, A Urine Sample, My first Tooth, DNA report, Social Security Card, Sams Club Card, Credit Card, Shoppers Club Card, Hallmark Gold Crown Card, Ollies Army Card, Cotsco Card, and My Mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (She will tell them who I am)

P.S. I can go to Canada any time I wish with my EDL:)

Thanks for the informative replies some of you have left:)

Archived