Naughty room on Norwegian

thistimeplease

What is the entitlement generation?

Since Nita is heading off for a cruise, I'll offer an opinion.

It is the generation that believes rules do not apply to them and they will break/test these rules at every turn. In other words they want to change the world to suit their wants and hope that no one fights back. ;)

PE

If you get caught, they call you to the naughty room, make you open your bag and they take it away from you. If it's in sealed, original packaging, they give it back at the end of the trip. If it's in something like a rum runner, they dispose of it. Nothing scary happens. Hundreds of people get called to the naughty room on every cruise.

This is exactly what happened to me. I'd taken a fifth of Jack in my luggage on 2 previous RCI cruises and 1 Carnival cruise with no problem. First time on NCL I got caught. The naughty room line was loooooooong, and I was a little surprised and amused by the high number of extremely elderly women in line with me.

If you are in a suite, can you just send your butler to the naughty room to get your bag?

I don't know if it's changed, but 5 years ago you couldn't send the butler for the bag. I think because they're searching the bag, they want you present, possibly for liability? The butler did pick up the bottle for me the last night of the cruise, though. If I'd known before the cruise that the suite came with 3 liters of liquor and a bottle of champagne, I wouldn't have bothered bringing it. We generally spend plenty of money on alcohol through the ship, and between purchased drinks and what came with the suite, we had plenty for the 4 of us.

This thread fascinates me. I've cruised several times, but never on NCL. I've always carried wine in my luggage and never been caught. Any veteran cruisers know whether NCL is more vigilant about this or maybe as one post said it is the loading crew at the dock selecting suspicious bags? Might your embarcation port have an effect (crews in certain cities being more vigilant than in others?

This thread fascinates me. I've cruised several times, but never on NCL. I've always carried wine in my luggage and never been caught. Any veteran cruisers know whether NCL is more vigilant about this or maybe as one post said it is the loading crew at the dock selecting suspicious bags? Might your embarcation port have an effect (crews in certain cities being more vigilant than in others?

They are all becoming more vigilant about stopping booze from boarding their ships. Just go the the other forums and you will see similar discussion as his one.

PE

When you carry the wine on in your luggage, how do you do it? Do you have something special to wrap it in? I carried it in my carry on bag, because I was worried about it breaking...I'm assuming our luggage is handled like it is at the airport, not so gently. I don't mind paying the corkage, and it wasn't a big deal to carry it in our carry-on for the last cruise because it was only a 4 day, so we only had a few bottles. Our next one, though, is a 7 day, so we were planning on taking several. Not sure I want to drag it around with me until the room is ready.

Since Nita is heading off for a cruise' date=' I'll offer an opinion.[/color']

It is the generation that believes rules do not apply to them and they will break/test these rules at every turn. In other words they want to change the world to suit their wants and hope that no one fights back. ;)

PE

It seems to me most folks always think the generation that comes after them is the "entitlement generation".

Everyone thinks the next generation is lazy, self-centered and looking for a handout.

It seems to me most folks always think the generation that comes after them is the "entitlement generation".

Everyone thinks the next generation is lazy, self-centered and looking for a handout.

Not this time, this "generation" includes many age ranges. Besides, I know many in the "next" generation that do not fit this new definition.

PE

Caught once on NCL and was called to a staging area, two 3 liter wine boxes somehow found their way into my suitcase:-), They offered to hold the wine or charge $15 for each box- I chose the latter. They put a small green round sticker on each box and said we are now able to take them to the dining room if we wish- now that would be embarassing.

Even with the $15 "uncorking fee", we were still way ahead of the game. We're not being cheap, just like our own stuff. Can you imagine bringing your wine box to the dining room?

This is exactly what happened to me. I'd taken a fifth of Jack in my luggage on 2 previous RCI cruises and 1 Carnival cruise with no problem. First time on NCL I got caught. The naughty room line was loooooooong, and I was a little surprised and amused by the high number of extremely elderly women in line with me.

HA! those ladies love to drink! Of all the age groups, they are the best to hang out with when drunk :D

I've had family members get sent to the Naughty Room for items that weren't even alcohol. My mother-in-law got sent there for smuggling in Metamucil. It must have looked like an alcohol or suspicious bottle/jar on the scanner. When she was in line waiting to be "processed" in the Naughty Room, she said the woman next to her got sent there for a can of hairspray. So it seems like things that are cylindrical in shape are suspect too!

Meanwhile a had traveling companion that got on board with a LITER of Gin...so go figure!

I do believe that NCL is more vigilant than other lines, although I have nothing but anecdotal evidence to support that belief.

But it's possible that since several other lines allow you to bring wine onboard without paying corkage in advance, your wine came thru unscathed because it wasn't breaking any rules.

I do believe that NCL is more vigilant than other lines, although I have nothing but anecdotal evidence to support that belief.

But it's possible that since several other lines allow you to bring wine onboard without paying corkage in advance, your wine came thru unscathed because it wasn't breaking any rules.

We travel with Holland America and don't have to hide anything, that feels nice.

When we travel with NCL it adds an air of exitement to smuggle our favourite wines onboard. The best advice though, is to not divulge the working method on the internet :(, as the cruise lines read these threads before reading the complaints. BTW- The wine always tastes better when it is smuggled for some reason or another.

We were called to the Naughty Room last month on our Pearl cruise.

We do not drink and would never even think of bringing alcohol on board. We went to the Naughty Room and had to wait a good 25 - 30 minutes for our turn to have our luggage opened and examined. What did they find? A spray can of sun tan lotion that they thought was alcohol.

I can see their policies' date=' but it seems if they are actually inconveniencing someone for no reason, they should provide something in return! I let them know of my displeasure. They blamed it all on the dock hands, who the representative said were non-NCL employees. Whatever!!

Something like a discount coupon to a speciality restaurant or a discount on photos would have made the unpleasant experience at least somewhat more palatable. We felt they should have done at least something to compensate for our 30 minutes of wasted time... oh well!

We'll be back, but not sure if we will be bringing a spray can of sun tan lotion next time.

Happy cruisin' everyone![/quote']

I've always been worried about my hair spray. I will remember to put the sun screen in the carry on. I have VERY fair people in the family and the spray cans work best. We don't drink either and I would be really ticked off if I had to stand in a long line at the naughty room.

About "rum runners" either. True, they are "plastic" and did not used to be detected, but I think the scanners can see the large "void" of liquid - So if you stuff one in your boot??? Who knows - I just know that they are ALL looking harder because it is lost revenue for every smuggled item that they miss.

I also read somewhere that if you are one of the FIRST on board as opposed to the LAST, that they have more time to nit-pick the contents...I do not know if this holds water or not.

Archived